Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car for a 25-year old?
New 340i 174 65.17%
Used Mustang 93 34.83%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2021, 17:42   #1

BMW M340i vs a pre-owned Ford Mustang GT

Introduction- This being my first post on Team-BHP, I'm very excited to know the opinions of my fellow members. I'm a young man who has just entered into my family business and have been very enthusiastic about cars since my childhood. I feel very lucky to be a part of this prestigious community.

The Dilemma- I stay in Hisar, Haryana (Tier 3 city) and we own many cars which are used by my family members individually. Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8 (2017) used by my father, Audi A4 35TDI (2018) used by my sister, Volkswagen Polo GT Tsi (2016) used by my mother, Ford Endeavour 3.2 (2017) and Mahindra Thar Crde (2016) used by me. So the itch for a new car has started (me being a car enthusiast in the family) and I am selling both of my personally used vehicles to make way for an F-A-S-T car. I'm currently confused between the BMW M340i and the used Ford Mustang.

M340i- I made an enquiry with BMW India about the car and was later contacted by the BMW Bird Automotive, Gurgaon. I and my father took a quick test drive of the Dravit Grey coloured vehicle and were in love with the Engine and the way the car handled. But, we were not impressed with the colour of the vehicle (neither the blackish-grey interior nor the exterior colour). We left the dealership and went to the BMW Infinity cars dealership (which was on our way back home) in search of a Tanzanite Blue or a Sunset Orange shade, but to our surprise, they had a car in stock (from lot 1) in the same Dravit Grey shade. This time, we liked the colour to our surprise, maybe due to the bright lights of the showroom or the car being very clean compared to the test drive car. Overall, came back with a confused state of mind - an amazing car to drive, but with ordinary looks.

Ford Mustang GT- We straight away headed to Big Boy Toyz, Gurgaon to have a look at a 2017 Black Mustang and oh boy, what an eye-catching machine it was. The car was shining crazy in that black shade and we also got to hear the Borla exhaust note which had a good roar. I was adoring the car but yet of the doubt that this car is still an impractical vehicle to own (strictly a 2 seater due to my tall height). The interiors weren't of great quality either, though the car felt absolutely new.

We came back home and were in a confused state of mind as to what car should it be. I wish to keep this car for at least 5 years and want it to be a reliable vehicle. We do not wish to extend our budget. All your suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
M-TownBeast is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 17:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW M340i vs a pre-owned Ford Mustang GT

You are selling two of your personal cars for the next buy so I think the decision is quite obvious. The Mustang is a great car and also quite versatile by sports car standards, but it isn't what I would call very practical or polished. The interiors and the cramped rear seats are a huge letdown. I would say these compromises are too much considering what you get in return is looks and muscle car panache.

The 340i on the other hand is a much more polished car. It can put all the power down better, you can buy one brand new and it comes with the added practicality of being a proper 4 seater at the very least. It's handling will also be leagues ahead of the RWD Mustang.

If you would have wanted to replace the Thar only, I would have suggested the Mustang as a competent weekend car, but since this will be your only car, I think the 340i it should be without doubt.

Last edited by vishy76 : 5th July 2021 at 17:52.
vishy76 is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 18:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-TownBeast View Post
I'm currently confused between the BMW M340i and the used Ford Mustang.
Mustang is a car to show off whereas the M340 is what you will enjoy the most after initial novelty to show off sound/ looks has gone. Given your age, a bright color like orange is what I will suggest. Do check with some Ford dealerships, they will have plenty of knowns.

Frankly, I will not even look at that Ford and will pick the M340i 10 out of 10 times.
Turbanator is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 18:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Frankly, I will not even look at that Ford and will pick the M340i 10 out of 10 times.
I agree 100% to this.

M340i is a complete package with power, performance, handling, dynamics, safety, reliability, gadgets and technology, practicality and of course the looks!

Mustang is very different. It has power and the looks (subjective; personally I find Mustang's looks a bit overdone and screaming for attention). But that is about it. It is lacking in many other things. I have not driven a Mustang in India but I have driven it in the US and I have a friend who owns it in the US. He actually wanted a BMW but somehow landed up with a Mustang due to some reasons. And he regrets it. He says it is great only for straight line acceleration. On every corner, he misses having a BMW.

The M340i will make you smile every time you drive it, whether in straight lines or in curves.

Mustang is a car to have only as an additional (secondary/tertiary) sports car in the garage for show-off and occasional high speed runs.

I would not even compare M340i with Mustang. M340i would be my choice 10 out of 10 times too.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 5th July 2021 at 18:55.
Dr.AD is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 19:32   #5
Team-BHP Support

Vishy, Turbanator and Dr.AD have already said it. Mustang is a muscle car only good at straight line acceleration and a sports car look that will get you lots of attention. Put it in a fast corner and it will fail miserably.

On the other hand, the 340i is a beast in straight line acceleration and will excel the most in the corners. It is also a practical daily driver in a single car garage.

My pick would be the 340i.
graaja is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 19:37   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Also, on a side note, I'd suggest 'if you can' don't sell the Endeavour. They don't come like those nowadays. You can easily go for an off-road expedition on the weekend and drive straight to the office in triple digit speeds. You can do a cross country without booking any hotels.

The 3.2 4x4 is a lovely machine. Huge potential.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th July 2021 at 07:44. Reason: Endy = Endeavour. No acronyms please. Thank You.
dhanushs is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 19:48   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Have driven both of them on the highway and pushed them hard. Both of them are spectacular machines. The Mustang is no longer just quick in a straight line; it can corner pretty darn well too (requires more driver skill due to its loose butt than the 340i though). Mustang advantages = looks, muscle car (admit it, you always wanted to own one), style, everyday driveability & reliability (it's designed to be a daily use car) and character.

But in almost every other area - outright handling (340i has AWD), interior quality, gearbox brilliance, quality & finesse, the 340i is ahead. Machine to machine and in terms of depth of engineering, the 340i is vastly superior. The 340i uses precision where the Mustang throws sheer muscle.

In my 20s, I would definitely buy the Mustang. There is lots of time for 4-door sedans later in life for you. But for the 20s, give me a muscle car any day. Since you are 25, this is what you should get. I got a Jeep on my 20th birthday when I could very well have settled for something faster + more practical. But where is the fun in that? The Jeep gave me joy & memories that no 4-door sedan could. I have a feeling the Mustang will do the same for you.

I would also buy the Mustang if I already had a luxury sedan in the house. Irrespective of age.

But as the only car of the house, I would probably pick the 340i.

Last edited by GTO : 5th July 2021 at 20:01.
GTO is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 19:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... to make way for an F-A-S-T car.

M340i- .. an amazing car to drive, but with ordinary looks.

Ford Mustang GT- .. doubt that this car is still an impractical vehicle to own..
Do you want to buy a F-A-S-T sleeper or a F-A-S-T show-car? That seems to be the main source of confusion here. Ford Mustang GT is not good for both (IMHO).
androdev is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 20:01   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW M340i vs a pre-owned Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have driven both of them on the highway and pushed them hard. Both of them are spectacular machines. The Mustang is no longer just quick in a straight line; it can corner pretty darn well too.
OK great. That is really interesting. Looks like my opinions on Mustang are based on some earlier generation cars. In fact, I was just chatting with some expert friends on this topic and they also told me that the new Mustangs have improved in handling. That is great to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Also, on a side note, I'd suggest 'if you can' dont sell the Endy. They dont come like those nowadays. You can easily go for an off-road expedition on the weekend and drive straight to the office in triple digit speeds. You can do a cross country without booking any hotels.

This is really the best advice. I agree 100%.

The 3.2 4x4 Endeavour is a dream machine for many (especially now that the 3.2 engine is gone and the new one is only available with the relatively weaker 2.0 engine), and has already become a rare combination that is quite sought after. And for good reasons too. It is one perfect car for Indian conditions.

I would say try to keep that car and then figure out the other combinations, if possible.
Dr.AD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 20:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you plan on keeping the car only for 5 years, it's best to buy the brand new BMW with its warranty and enjoy it thoroughly. However, if you feel like you can keep the car longer, and if you feel like the Mustang is a good deal, then go for it I doubt we will have American V8 powered Mustangs in India much longer and even if it is juvenile there is a charm about it. I would buy the Mustang for sure. The BMW is just another fast saloon. The Mustang is a giant tick on one of those childhood dreams. I feel like they will be worth quite a bit once they aren't sold anymore perhaps in a decade?
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 21:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

At your age I would go for the Mustang. You need to find one that’s maintained well though. The Mustang is a practical sports car even though it’s just got two doors.. It seldom scrapes speed breakers, has a large enough boot and your Ford dealer can handle its service.

In terms of outright speed and handling it cannot hold a candle to the M340i, but what’s the point of all that power and handling capability if you don’t like the interior and exterior? As they say, if you dont feel like looking back at your car, you’ve picked the wrong one.

Your frame of mind of not appreciating an ordinary looking sedan despite its power is spot on for a 25 year old and you should listen to your inner gut feeling or you’ll regret it.

The new Mustangs are great handlers too albeit not as good as a 340i but it makes up for that deficit in sheer presence. Add a good after market exhaust, if you feel like it, as the Mustang is muted, and you probably have all that you need.

The 340i being new will be far more reliable and with warranty you will have less headaches. Of course, the 340i could cost you upto 20-30 lakhs more than a Mustang so that’s a point you need to keep in mind.

If you’re thinking with your head it’s the 340i, but if you’re thinking with your heart (which is what you should do at your age) it is the Mustang.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 22:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Introduction- This being my first post on Team-BHP, I'm very excited to know the opinions of my fellow members.
I personally echo Vishy76's comments. You sell 2 cars that are utilised for other purposes and that would mean practicality would be a big factor, I assume. This directly points all fingers towards the M340i. I checked the stock locator and it turns out that there's no M340i available. But, incase you've confirmed it with the dealer, it'll probably be available. Also, IIRC, the 2nd batch bookings are already on.

What I did find out while checking the locator was that there are a bunch of M2 Comp's available. If you could possibly extend your budget a bit, you could easily be looking at the most fun car (be it in used or new form) that BMW has made in the recent years. Again though, it shares a lot of the problems of the Mustang (incl. practicality for which you may be better off with the M340i).

The Ford Mustang, although a great car, is not the best high-performance car to start off with, and we all know why. Plus, you'll for sure be not happy with the interior quality inside the car itself. If my parents ever gave me the opportunity to get between your choices, i'll go for the Bimmer.

If you can, go for the M2 only if you don't care about practicality. If practicality is a thing, go for the M340i.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 5th July 2021 at 22:19.
akash_v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 00:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
If you would have wanted to replace the Thar only, I would have suggested the Mustang as a competent weekend car, but since this will be your only car, I think the 340i it should be without doubt.
Thank you vishy76, you are very right. M340i can be used for practical purposes but the only issues which are not letting me go for it right away are the looks and colours of the vehicle. Wish it had that Red coloured interior upholstery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Mustang is a car to show off whereas the M340 is what you will enjoy the most after initial novelty to show off sound/ looks has gone. Given your age, a bright color like orange is what I will suggest. Do check with some Ford dealerships, they will have plenty of knowns.

Thank you Turbanator. The booking of the second lot has started online and BMW has now discontinued the Sunset Orange which was previously available in the car. For now being, Grey and blue are the only options available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I agree 100% to this.

M340i is a complete package with power, performance, handling, dynamics, safety, reliability, gadgets and technology, practicality and of course the looks!
I would not even compare M340i with Mustang. M340i would be my choice 10 out of 10 times too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Vishy, Turbanator and Dr.AD have already said it. Mustang is a muscle car only good at straight line acceleration and a sports car look that will get you lots of attention. Put it in a fast corner and it will fail miserably.
My pick would be the 340i.
Thanks Dr.AD and graaja. Mustang looks amazing but can't beat the M340i in terms of the handling, although still not bad. I'm still not sure about how much cornering would I be doing because my major long route would be weekend drives from Hisar to Delhi (or Gurgaon) which is quite a straight 4-6 lane Highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
You can easily go for an off-road expedition on the weekend and drive straight to the office in triple digit speeds. You can do a cross country without booking any hotels.

Thanks, dhanushs. I believe the same for my Endeavour but since I'm the only one who drives it, it'd be of no use. My family finds the rear seats uncomfortable and they always prefer the Innova for any trips. But whenever I'm along with them on a trip, the car has to be the Endeavour due to its sheer presence, huge engine and go-anywhere ability. It munches miles like anything. But I don't want it to be sitting idle with dust on, at our farm or our office because of this rare usage. The same had happened with Thar after the Endeavour arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have driven both of them on the highway and pushed them hard. Both of them are spectacular machines. The Mustang is no longer just quick in a straight line; it can corner pretty darn well too (requires more driver skill due to its loose butt than the 340i though). Mustang advantages = looks, muscle car (admit it, you always wanted to own one), style, everyday driveability & reliability (it's designed to be a daily use car) and character.
I would also buy the Mustang if I already had a luxury sedan in the house. Irrespective of age.

But as the only car of the house, I would probably pick the 340i.
Thanks GTO. This advice by you has created even more confusion. With many people advising me for M340i (including my parents), choosing mustang could be a difficult task (still in love with it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Do you want to buy a F-A-S-T sleeper or a F-A-S-T show-car? That seems to be the main source of confusion here. Ford Mustang GT is not good for both (IMHO).
Thanks androdev. You are right, this seems to be the major source of confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If you plan on keeping the car only for 5 years, it's best to buy the brand new BMW with its warranty and enjoy it thoroughly. However, if you feel like you can keep the car longer, and if you feel like the Mustang is a good deal, then go for it I doubt we will have American V8 powered Mustangs in India much longer and even if it is juvenile there is a charm about it.
Thanks IshaanIan. In the current scenario, I love cars which are trouble free and I don't really like visiting service centers often. So with the warranty and service packages, I can have a peace. But when I look at the mustang, it indeed is a tick to the childhood dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
At your age I would go for the Mustang. You need to find one that’s maintained well though. The Mustang is a practical sports car even though it’s just got two doors.. It seldom scrapes speed breakers, has a large enough boot and your Ford dealer can handle its service.

If you’re thinking with your head it’s the 340i, but if you’re thinking with your heart (which is what you should do at your age) it is the Mustang.
Thanks, AMG Power. We've never gone with the Pre-owned route yet with cars, although we bought a used Suzuki Hayabusa from known of knowns and had a pretty bad experience getting the bike transferred, therefore returned the same. So this time we'd like to buy a pre-owned car only via trusted sellers (even if they quote high). The Mustang which was available at the BBT, Gurgaon was quoted for Rupees 63 lakh with no negotiation available (which has now been booked already). The M340i costs Rupees 72 Lakh on-road. Though I still wish, if Mustang was available for 20-30 lakhs less, I would have gone for it there and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
YOLO - the Mustang wind hand down until you get settled down in life. But keep the Endeavour is what I suggest.
Thanks, avdhesh15 for your love for the Endeavour and settling down would probably mean another 5 years. I need to find more mustangs in the Delhi NCR region now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
I personally echo Vishy76's comments. You sell 2 cars that are utilised for other purposes and that would mean practicality would be a big factor, I assume. This directly points all fingers towards the M340i. I checked the stock locator and it turns out that there's no M340i available. But, incase you've confirmed it with the dealer, it'll probably be available. Also, IIRC, the 2nd batch bookings are already on.
Thanks akash_v12. The old lot of M340i is still available with many dealers, another dealer in Delhi had a Tanzanite blue in stock and was even ready to offer minor discounts on it; which lead me to think if the M340i really has the demand or should I wait for some more time for the discounts to come? M2 competition is a great car only if I get a mouth watering deal because the budget is a concern for sure. I guess these stocks are not updated by BMW, but I'll still check with dealers for M2 competition. By the way, BBT has listed a new 2019 M2 competition for 72 Lakhs (ex-showroom). The car would be billed and registered to the first owner directly (still out of my budget).

Last edited by Sheel : 6th July 2021 at 07:47. Reason: Quoted posts trimmed. Thanks.
M-TownBeast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 01:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

My choice would be the Mustang and hence voted for the same. As long as you are a responsible driver, the mustang is the car to get regardless of practicality or handling. Those things look so much better when viewed directly and pictures don't do justice. Not that BMWs are bad (they are great actually) but few years from now you are the guy that drove the Mustang in town and no one is going to remember if you drove the M340i as much. The mustang will be your signature. Get that BMW or others after the 5 year term period. Just going to put a picture here to strengthen the case for the Mustang. Now imagine driving that .

The realization of a childhood dream. Imagine telling your grandkids of your Mustang adventures in your 20's

BMW M340i vs a pre-owned Ford Mustang GT-mustang.png
Image source: google images
TrackDay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 06:45   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

What a nice confusion to have at 25 years?

Lucky you.

Subjectively speaking, a two door-sports coupe is going to win the heart (of a 25 yo) over a four-door executive-saloon that's actually a stealth sleeper.

Please look at things objectively as well and buy something you can live with for five years.

The 6th generation Mustang was launched internationally in 2014. It's been on sale for 6+ years now which means it's relatively out of date in terms of technology and safety in many ways when compared to the G20 M340i.

Also I won't beat around the bush and will ask you to please consider your own driving skills and abilities. The Mustang is F-A-S-T of course but are you skilled enough to tame that wild pony?

Happy shopping.
kiku007 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks