Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 14:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Advice on buying a BMW 5-Series LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProximaCentauri View Post
Thanks a lot everyone for your inputs! Using sampadroy's comments, we visited the showroom yesterday and have good news! We've bought the 530i M-Sport LCI in Bluestone Metallic and Cognac interior.

After hard negotiation, I was able to get the price down to 72.5 OTR from 75.5 OTR, and a further 2 Lakh Exchange Bonus for giving them my A4. Also received some freebies in the deal like the BMW logo projectors and a 5 Key chain. Eagerly looking forward to the delivery and to post our first ownership review on Team-BHP!
Congrats on the new toy in your garage.
Wish you many many safe kms ahead bro.
Can we please talk privately if you don't have any problem with it?
~ Cheers ~
Old 18th September 2021, 17:23   #17
BHPian

Hey folks, need some advice on the 530i.

I am in the market for a new car and strongly considering the 530i (against the A6, but will save that for another time).

Now the issue I’m facing is that discounts are at an all time low and the OTR price in Gurgaon is coming out to be 72L. The dealer is talking about discounts barely stretching to 3L.

Also there is news that next month prices will rise by 4% which would mean 2.5 lakhs plus registration and insurance related impact. Added to this is the fact that BMW has just removed Laser lights from the 5 series (read online that such feature reductions are happening due to chip crisis). Don’t feel like paying much more for an inferior vehicle.

The dealer on the other hand is chasing up saying that due to supply being below demand there will not be good deals during festive season and it’s better to buy now.

I’m finding this quite confusing given this is my first purchase in this segment. Would appreciate guidance from more experienced Bhpians on this. Is it worth waiting until next month for discounts or should I pull the trigger this month itself?
mayjay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjay View Post

I am in the market for a new car and strongly considering the 530i (against the A6, but will save that for another time).

Now the issue I’m facing is that discounts are at an all time low and the OTR price in Gurgaon is coming out to be 72L. The dealer is talking about discounts barely stretching to 3L.

Also there is news that next month prices will rise by 4% which would mean 2.5 lakhs plus registration and insurance related impact. Added to this is the fact that BMW has just removed Laser lights from the 5 series (read online that such feature reductions are happening due to chip crisis). Don’t feel like paying much more for an inferior vehicle.
We recently bought the A6. The car is still in its running in period after which I'll post a proper review. I'll say this about the car, the interiors are just as good as the 5 series if not better. The power is similar too. The five will drive better, and has better suspension. However, the A6 is a very comfortable car and on that aspect, matches the five or even better than it. In the city the A6 definitely feels more comfortable thanks to its soft setup. In an objective comparison, E class for the chaffeur driven and 5 series for the driving enthusiast with A6 falling square in the middle since it's leg room is much better than the five. If money is not a consideration, the five series should be perfect. If however we do take it into consideration, the A6 becomes a really good value proposition, courtesy of the very good discounts. At this point, you need to compare it to the 3 series and 3 series Li because that's where the price range is. In that comparison, the value proposition is self evident as cars from different classes are being compared.

I'd suggest waiting until the end of the year to see what kind of offers you get on both cars and then making a purchase.
hrk997 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 11:00   #19
BHPian

Congrats on acquiring the 530i. Me and the missus are devout fans of cars in black, but the bluestone metallic shade makes a very convincing case for itself. What a stunner. Wishing you thousands of kms of endless smiles and memories. Do keep an ownership thread, in a jungle of SUV's and C-SUV's, every sedan ownership thread is cherished. Peace
Old 29th November 2022, 19:53   #20
GRV
BHPian

Hi
I am planning to buy 5 series. Confused between 530 I M sport and 530 d M sport. Here are the reasons

530 i M sport :

I love petrol engines. But 530 i has sports seats and I am of heavy built and not finding the sports seat very comfortable specially for long drives that I intend to take

Sports seats are made from artificial leather and it does not feel soft and comfortable

It misses on HUD, which I find very useful

530 d M sport :

Attracted by Comfort seat available and that too in Nappa leather with HUD

But It is diesel. I want to keep NVH level to almost zero. Not sure how refined is this engine. I called up all BMW dealers in NCR and no one has a test or even inventory car available where I can try and check if the NVH level is as per my liking

Currently i drive Volvo S90 (D4 diesel) and frankly I do not like the NVH specially at the low RPM. But heard that BMW Diesel is very refined , hence willing to try 530 d

Request your advice and experience sharing on how refined is 530 d and should I go ahead and book the car without even test driving it (i.e. 530 d)

Thanks
Rajul
GRV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 20:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
Hi
I am planning to buy 5 series. Confused between 530 I M sport and 530 d M sport. Here are the reasons

530 i M sport :

I love petrol engines. But 530 i has sports seats and I am of heavy built and not finding the sports seat very comfortable specially for long drives that I intend to take

Sports seats are made from artificial leather and it does not feel soft and comfortable

It misses on HUD, which I find very useful

530 d M sport :

Attracted by Comfort seat available and that too in Nappa leather with HUD

But It is diesel. I want to keep NVH level to almost zero. Not sure how refined is this engine. I called up all BMW dealers in NCR and no one has a test or even inventory car available where I can try and check if the NVH level is as per my liking

Currently i drive Volvo S90 (D4 diesel) and frankly I do not like the NVH specially at the low RPM. But heard that BMW Diesel is very refined , hence willing to try 530 d

Request your advice and experience sharing on how refined is 530 d and should I go ahead and book the car without even test driving it (i.e. 530 d)

Thanks
Rajul

Hi Rajul,

I have driven a Bmw 530d f10 for close to 70k kms over a period of 9 years and can guarantee you that it’s one of the most refined diesel engines around and the updated engine in new 530d is bound to be even more silent and refined.

Being a diesel it will never be as silent as a nice petrol engine and If you care for ultimate NVH then you would be better off with the 530i.

But I recommend get the 530d as you won’t care for the extra 10-15% noise the diesel engine will make when the 620nm of torque will kick in

Cheers!
bimmerboy26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 14:44   #22
GRV
BHPian

Hi Bimmerboy26,
Thanks for your reply. Since you had a long experience with the car, could you please clarify the following:

1. 530 d has comfort seats. Any idea how different it is from Sports seat that
530 i has ? I feel that sports seats are slightly less wide compared to comfort seat
width (width of seat , not of back rest) . Any comment ?

2. It will be my first BMW and that would mean RFT, which will be first for me. Can RFT
puncture be repaired ? how is your experience with them ?

Will really appreciate your reply

Regards
Rajul
Old 30th November 2022, 15:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to buy 5 series...confused between 530i M sport and 530d M sport.

Request your advice and experience sharing on how refined is 530d and should I go ahead and book the car without even test driving it (i.e. 530d)
Hi Rajul.

While BMW's 4 cylinder petrol engines (the 30i) are very good, they are no match for the 6 cylinder diesel engines. The latter are extremely refined, immensely torquey, and sound really good in sports mode, all while delivering excellent efficiency. I would go so far as to say that the 530d is very nearly the perfect family car for India, the only major problem I have with is its price, which is insane.

While NVH in the 30d is more than the 30i, it should not be a dealbreaker IMO. And yes, you are correct in assuming that the HUD is a great feature to have. It's more than a gimmick and very useful. Get the 530d if your budget permits it, you'll be very happy with it.

Quote:
It will be my first BMW and that would mean RFT, which will be first for me. Can RFT puncture be repaired ?
RFT's cannot be repaired. By design, they are meant to come apart while still being usable for a finite number of kilometres as you get to your destination, or a tyre shop as the case may be.

If repairability of tyres are a concern, you should go with tubeless tyres. Personally, I would swap out the RFT's with tubeless tyres on day 1 of ownership at any reputed tyre dealer (talk to them beforehand to set this up). You won't have to pay anything for this, as RFTs cost more than equivalent tubeless tyres.

By doing so, you get
  • Repairable tyres, which can be fixed even in remote locations
  • Cheaper replacement tyres when the need arises
  • Better NVH than the normal RFTs, Bridgestone Turanza's, although Michelin RFT's have pretty good NVH too, from what I hear

If your salesperson gives you a bunch of rubbish about this change voiding your warranty, ask them to give this in writing, and watch them back off. A tyre change will not invalidate your warranty for say a failed ABS sensor. If you later have some suspension or driveline issue, the onus is on the dealer to prove that the tyre change caused a failure, which they might well not be able to.

Happy shopping!
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 16:18   #24

Quote:
Hi Bimmerboy26,
Thanks for your reply. Since you had a long experience with the car, could you please clarify the following:

1. 530 d has comfort seats. Any idea how different it is from Sports seat that
530 i has ? I feel that sports seats are slightly less wide compared to comfort seat
width (width of seat , not of back rest) . Any comment ?

2. It will be my first BMW and that would mean RFT, which will be first for me. Can RFT
puncture be repaired ? how is your experience with them ?

Will really appreciate your reply

Regards
Rajul

Hi Rajul,

Regarding the seats i would not be able to comment as i have the previous generation F10 530d and not the new one you are shopping for.

My car does have sports seats though and they are immensely comfortable, honestly they are thrones and long hours behind the wheel don't feel tiring at all.

I have been quite okay with RFTs, have also gotten them repaired a few times and they work just fine. Just need to make sure the tire repair guy is knowledgeable and does a neat job.

Cheers!
bimmerboy26 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed