Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2021, 12:45   #16
BHPian

Re: What pre-owned luxury car for 35 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
I'm talking to the dealer with the X3 3.0 nevertheless, let's see what happens. I doubt thigh support will be an issue for us with our height.
I'd suggest you go for this X3 30d - here is the same car, recently posted with a lower sticker price - keep us posted on the developments -> I'd be both happy and envious of this possession of yours at the same time!

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...&rk=4&isP=true
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 14:01   #17
BHPian

Why don’t you consider The new Toyota Camry ? It’s an Awesome vehicle, it looks good, is powerful, Drives well, is powerful and practical as well as being super reliable. Do check it out Once.
NarediAni7518 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 16:36   #18
BHPian

You can try a 5/7 year old discovery sport or Evoque. Or may be a 3/5 year vintage X 60. All of these tick all your boxes and are great fun to own and drive.
Old 15th July 2021, 16:39   #19
BHPian

How about a used Skoda Superb in diesel automatic? It feels marginally more luxurious than the Kodiaq, has better music system, terrific performance without need for tuning and was well priced unlike the Kodiaq. GC is also not unnerving.

If you are inclined towards lower service costs, nothing beats Toyota. Camry is a very good car but it won't depreciate much. If you find a good example, you can run it for ages.
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 19:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

V90 Cross Country would be my pick. I was considering a used one as a possible upgrade from my Forester but momentarily I have given up the idea as the thought of maintaining a used 80 lakh CBU import was not very comforting.
Old 15th July 2021, 23:20   #21
BHPian

35L would get you a lot of options. Since its going to be your 4th car, you dont need to think about the practical aspects.

I'd really recommend a Mini Cooper S. Loads and loads of fun.
The VRS is definitely very high in the list of recommendations. I saw a few on sale here in Delhi, cant comment about Bangalore.
Or a F30 330i, if you can find one? Or probably look for a used G20 330i (you'd probably need to stretch the budget a bit)
The XC40 is an excellent practical car too, if you have performance sedans already.
Old 17th July 2021, 10:56   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you are looking at the Volvo's, what about the S60. Did understand from the reviews that only the recently launched 2021 refresh can stand up to the BMW, but maybe worth looking at?

Pre-owned in the 25-30 lakh budget is what I have in mind for my next upgrade when it happens. So going to be closely watching this thread too.
Old 17th July 2021, 21:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Requirements
  • 5-star safety
  • Good deal of power and torque, better than the S-Cross 1.6. Something like 350Nm would be nice.
  • Automatic. Preferably diesel.
  • At least a 450-litre boot. Bigger the better. We tend to carry the house with us.
  • Seat comfort, if possible with lumbar support. S-Cross is perfect even without lumbar.
  • Good ground clearance, say more than 180mm unladen. No firm requirements, but intent is to take it to unseen places.
  • Android Auto for maps, or at least built-in navigation. Not a fan of iOS.
  • A really good music system.
  • Panoramic sunroof. Bangalore still has enough mild days, and the car will see early morning drives.
  • Some essentials like front and rear parking sensors and camera, spare wheel, etc. I wouldn't have thought to mention these, but they can't be taken for granted. Looking at you, X3/X1.
  • Reliability
  • That elusive quality of value.. Middle-class roots!
Why don't you try Citroën C5 Aircross?

Diesel AT, 175bhp, 400nm, very comfortable, big boot, good clearance and pano roof. Ticks almost all your requirements.

C5 new or 3GT used is what I suggest.
Attached Thumbnails
What pre-owned luxury car for 35 lakhs?-citroen_c5-aircross_141.jpeg  

Old 18th July 2021, 14:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The Kodiaq would be similarly quick as the Tiguan.

That being said, we have the Tiguan in the garage as well... The Tiguan on the other hand is an impressive handler, with the ability to masks speed exceedingly well, etc.
If I were you, I'd keep the Tiguan/Kodiaq stock as a daily driver & do the remap + other mods on the S-Cross - the manual + nimble size would make it a perfect fun car! Dr. Naren's thread will give you many ideas
This is a nice suggestion, may have to look at this seriously based on going out to look at cars yesterday. Updates below.

Quote:
If you aren't in a rush, keep a look out for the vRS. Do try and take a test drive of the car in the mean time - maybe through a friend who owns one, and see if it is the right car for you.
I heard of one recently trading hands around Rs. 24-25L in KA, leaving ample room in your budget.
There's a vRS currently available in Bangalore (on CarTrade/Carwale). However the asking price is nearly the original price. That seems unreasonable. In any case, my daughter is ruling out the Octavia for reasons known only to her . I'm worried about the low GC as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
I'd suggest you go for this X3 30d - here is the same car, recently posted with a lower sticker price - keep us posted on the developments -> I'd be both happy and envious of this possession of yours at the same time!

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...&rk=4&isP=true
Thanks for this, went and saw this car yesterday. Updates below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
How about a used Skoda Superb in diesel automatic? It feels marginally more luxurious than the Kodiaq, has better music system, terrific performance without need for tuning and was well priced unlike the Kodiaq. GC is also not unnerving.

If you are inclined towards lower service costs, nothing beats Toyota. Camry is a very good car but it won't depreciate much. If you find a good example, you can run it for ages.
After seeing the Volvo XC40 (not test-driven yet), family's not very keen on any sedans.. will keep Superb in mind though. One of my friends upgraded to this and is very happy with it, so it was on the back of my mind anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Since you are looking at the Volvo's, what about the S60. Did understand from the reviews that only the recently launched 2021 refresh can stand up to the BMW, but maybe worth looking at?
Looked at the S60 as well at the showroom. Design is of course awesome, but cost is too high at this point for my budget. Boot doesn't have much space either.

Updates from outing yesterday:

Looked at a couple of 3GTs (2017 and 2018; both diesels), the afore-mentioned X3. Also saw 2012/13 5 and 3 series.

2018 3GT seems to have got some upgrades compared to 2017. It has the part-digital dials, 2017 one had regular dials. Driver seat felt more comfortable in the 2018 3GT. Rear-seat space was awesome, and thigh support was excellent. Test drove the 2018. I can understand why the gearbox and engine get so much praise, and I'm pretty much sold on it. It was a very short drive on crowded roads, so never went beyond 60kmph. Still, acceleration was effortless and brisk, and shifts were smooth.

However, my wife and daughter mentioned vibrations coming through in the rear seat base. Is this to be expected? Is this a one-off?

The 2017 X3 30d wasn't test-driven. On sitting in the backseat, lack of thigh support was felt almost immediately. The height from seat to floor was very less, and we ended up in a knees-up position. Leg-space or knee-room weren't issues. This wouldn't be comfortable for long distances. Did a later X3 fix this?
Old 18th July 2021, 19:04   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is a nice suggestion, may have to look at this seriously based on going out to look at cars yesterday. Updates below.

There's a vRS currently available in Bangalore (on CarTrade/Carwale). However the asking price is nearly the original price. I'm worried about the low GC as well.

will keep Superb in mind though. One of my friends upgraded to this and is very happy with it, so it was on the back of my mind anyway.

Looked at a couple of 3GTs (2017 and 2018; both diesels), the afore-mentioned X3. Also saw 2012/13 5 and 3 series.

The 2017 X3 30d wasn't test-driven. On sitting in the backseat, lack of thigh support was felt almost immediately. Did a later X3 fix this?
Do go through Dr. Naren's threads. There are a couple more stage 3 S-Cross 1.6 and so far they've been fairly reliable builds from what I've seen.
If you go this route, you could add a daily driver in the form of a safe SUV for family vacations & traffic snarls such as the Tiguan / Tucson / X1 / Kodiaq, etc.
Heck the X1 may make sense : its got a decently laid out boot, is compact enough for city, has good ride & handling, and a punchy engine and gearbox combo.

If this doesn't work out, then you can explore keeping the S Cross as a daily and a fun car for the highways and vacations as you originally posted.
Given the poor road conditions in Mumbai & MH, I still believe I can take a sedan to most of the holiday destinations without issue though monsoons & last mile connectivity can be an issue (an example could be going to a tea / coffee estate or for those in Mumbai / Pune the trek from Aamby / Lonavala to Shillim). I expect Bangalore to have similarly bad roads at worst but definitely not worse than Mumbai. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

A good sedan could complement the crossover in the garage as they would be a hoot to drive (quicker, better handling, etc.) in comparison. But if you plan to give it to a chauffeur then SUV/Crossover would be easier to live with because most driver's aren't as careful in general.

In terms of ground clearance and practicality I see the vRS and 3GT to be more or less similar, with the vRS getting a slight edge with the smaller touches. I'd say they can easily take on at least 95% of the road conditions thrown at it if you're careful.
On a trip to Goa, I was slowing down at the Amboli Ghats due to the poor roads in the Tiguan, only to have a 3GT overtake and fly past!

Is it the blue vRS? I thought it was driven too much for what they were asking. Wouldn't pay more than ₹21-22 for that, that too if it were in immaculate condition.
Heck - depending on pricing, it could be better to get a car from Mumbai / Delhi & re-register it in KA.

If vRS ruled out and since you loved the 3GT, I'd urge you to look at the 330i GT LCI. It won't be easy but could be a good combination. Pair it with the M Performance exhaust and it will sound the part as well, though the vRS is stiffer and would have the edge on the bends.
In fact they maybe easier to live with than the Superb for an enthusiastic self driven owner (assuming you mean the diesel since the petrols have DSG woes) but the Superb may have an advantage while cruising.

What were your thoughts on the 5 series? Do give Mercedes E Class a look at as well. The E350 is a brilliant all rounder.

The X3 as I mentioned earlier does have a poor seating position. Infact I found the X1 to be better in this regard, despite lesser legroom. This issue is there even in the G series X3, X5, and even the X7 wasn't as nice as I would've expected.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 17:21   #26
BHPian

I think your right at targeting a 3GT, it's a great car and will meet all your criteria. They were selling the latest model (nighthawk? Or something) for about 43-45 on road during the pandemic. So 35 for a used one should be doable even with the Bangalore used car scene. But a 3 series would also be an excellent car and may be easier to find in your budget.

I own a Tiguan and an X5. The 3.0d has no engine comparable. It's a fantastic drive and quite reliable.
The Tiguan will meet all of your needs 100%. The DSG is very reliable (shared across Audi's too) and if you remap it, it will deliver numbers comparable to the 2.0 X3 or Q5. Additionally it's a surprisingly frugal car and with a normal footed driving style a full tank will comfortably cross 1100km on highway driving. That adds an extra element of enjoyment if you wanted to do a long weekend trip. And the boot will more than swallow the extra packing you do.
showboat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:03   #27

Drive the Tucson Diesel 2.0 AT all wheel drive with panaromic sunroof. In terms of boot size, acceleration and power, frugality in use and maintenance, availability of Android Auto and electronics, high quality music system, and on all the parameters that you have defined, you would probably find it a compelling option.

I've gone on long drives with my family - 5 of us including parents - and it's been very comfortable. The engine has more than enough power to accelerate going uphill even fully loaded. You'll probably stop using the S Cross and use the Tucson both as daily driver and weekend getaway.

Hyundai would give you excellent service support even on extended drives, and the Tucson has a full size wheel that does not eat into boot space. As a 3 person family, you can always put down one of the seats in a pinch, will give you a truly humongous amount of storage. It's a lot of fun to drive.

The next one may be even more powerful, but it may not launch until 2023. That's been the past track record of Hyundai Tucson and India. And the current Tucson can be measured against other options on its merits without having the ghost of Tucsons Future gumming up the evaluation.

I'm just saying, if you want a very fun drive while also having a practical vehicle that your family is happy with, you should drive the Tucson before you decide.
Usb101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 10:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi053 View Post
Why don't you try Citroën C5 Aircross?

Diesel AT, 175bhp, 400nm, very comfortable, big boot, good clearance and pano roof. Ticks almost all your requirements.

C5 new or 3GT used is what I suggest.
I hadn't considered the C5 honestly.. thought it was overpriced on launch and it never was on my mind. Haven't seen one on the roads either. Seems risky from a long-term ownership view. But like you said, it does tick most boxes.

Quote:
If you go this route, you could add a daily driver in the form of a safe SUV for family vacations & traffic snarls such as the Tiguan / Tucson / X1 / Kodiaq, etc.

Given the poor road conditions in Mumbai & MH, I still believe I can take a sedan to most of the holiday destinations without issue though monsoons & last mile connectivity can be an issue (an example could be going to a tea / coffee estate or for those in Mumbai / Pune the trek from Aamby / Lonavala to Shillim). I expect Bangalore to have similarly bad roads at worst but definitely not worse than Mumbai. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

A good sedan could complement the crossover in the garage as they would be a hoot to drive (quicker, better handling, etc.) in comparison. But if you plan to give it to a chauffeur then SUV/Crossover would be easier to live with because most driver's aren't as careful in general.
No chauffeur on the cards.. I prefer to drive.

Quote:
Is it the blue vRS? I thought it was driven too much for what they were asking. Wouldn't pay more than ₹21-22 for that, that too if it were in immaculate condition.
Yeah, that's the one. Nearly half it's life done (assuming 100k kms for a turbo-petrol), still asking for the same price as a new one. Didn't seem to make sense.

Quote:
Heck - depending on pricing, it could be better to get a car from Mumbai / Delhi & re-register it in KA.
Haven't seriously considered this option.. will have to start looking.

Quote:
If vRS ruled out and since you loved the 3GT, I'd urge you to look at the 330i GT LCI. It won't be easy but could be a good combination.
Open to both diesel and petrol.. performance needs to be good, not 330i good, and I found the 320d I test-drove to be pretty good for my use-case.

Quote:
What were your thoughts on the 5 series? Do give Mercedes E Class a look at as well. The E350 is a brilliant all rounder.

The X3 as I mentioned earlier does have a poor seating position. Infact I found the X1 to be better in this regard, despite lesser legroom. This issue is there even in the G series X3, X5, and even the X7 wasn't as nice as I would've expected.
This weekend checked out both a 3 and a 5 at a used car showroom. The 3 confirmed my initial impression of not having a good driver seat, at least in my case. Low seating was expected, but back/lumbar support was not as good as the S-Cross. There was a very nice 530d as well, 2019. The driver seat was better than the 3, but the back seat had the same issue as the X3. I was pretty sure it won't work for us for long distances. Didn't test drive at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
I think your right at targeting a 3GT, it's a great car and will meet all your criteria. They were selling the latest model (nighthawk? Or something) for about 43-45 on road during the pandemic. So 35 for a used one should be doable even with the Bangalore used car scene. But a 3 series would also be an excellent car and may be easier to find in your budget.

I own a Tiguan and an X5. The 3.0d has no engine comparable. It's a fantastic drive and quite reliable.
The Tiguan will meet all of your needs 100%. The DSG is very reliable (shared across Audi's too) and if you remap it, it will deliver numbers comparable to the 2.0 X3 or Q5. Additionally it's a surprisingly frugal car and with a normal footed driving style a full tank will comfortably cross 1100km on highway driving. That adds an extra element of enjoyment if you wanted to do a long weekend trip. And the boot will more than swallow the extra packing you do.
Yeah, like @lamborghini suggested, this is the backup option. Heart still says 3GT or XC40. I'm sure they can't really be compared in terms of performance. But a Volvo has been a dream for a while now, and XC40 seems like it'll have adequate performance and no compromises on anything else, so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usb101 View Post
Drive the Tucson Diesel 2.0 AT all wheel drive with panaromic sunroof. In terms of boot size, acceleration and power, frugality in use and maintenance, availability of Android Auto and electronics, high quality music system, and on all the parameters that you have defined, you would probably find it a compelling option.
This is what I'm thinking of doing:

1. Wait for an XC40 or a 3GT at the right price/mileage. I can wait a few months, perhaps until end of the year. Perhaps add Octavia vRS to this list.

2. If nothing works out look for one of these: Tiguan, Kodiaq, Tucson. Used in case of Tiguan/Kodiaq, new one in case of Tucson. This will be towards the end of the year.

No serious thoughts of extending budget and going for a new car at this time. Hoping to stay sane, but a new XC40 at about 48L keeps tugging at the back of my mind.
Old 26th July 2021, 13:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
About road conditions - this happened last weekend on the way to test-drive the 3GT. There's a section of outer ring road in Bangalore, close to Manyata Tech Park, where flyover construction is going on. Traffic gets diverted to either side of the flyover under construction. The right side is ok, left is full of broken patches of road - and I mean broken. These are not even potholes, half the road is irregularly dug through with 6-8 inch drops for most of a half-km stretch. I doubt any sedans (other than a few Marutis, perhaps) can navigate this stretch. My test drive had to go through this area as well, and the salesperson was calmly but insistently making sure I go through the right side . I suppose my old WagonR can navigate it (same GC of 165mm IIRC), and possibly the 3GT as well, but it'll be dicey. And these kind of stretches can pop-up on Bangalore roads anytime.
Old 28th July 2021, 19:24   #30
BHPian

While on these used car searches, I came across 2 vehicles with a very delayed registration date:

2018 3GT, bought in 2018, registered in 2020.
2017 XC60, bought in 2018, registered in 2019.

Is this a concern while buying used? Are there any legal/valuation implications? Both these were by businesses, so are there any tax advantages due to which they do this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks