Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2021, 05:48   #1

Pre-owned dilemma | Audi Q3 or Mercedes GLA?

I am looking to buy a sensible second car for the household and am planning to go the pre-owned route.

Here is what I want for sure:
1. Diesel Automatic
2. High levels of safety
3. Powerful AC
4. Ease of drivability
5. Compact vehicle - rear seat will rarely be used but when it is, it should be comfortable

Here is what I would like to have but are not neccesary :
1. Sunroof
2. Paddle shifters
3. Good infotainment system
4. SUV - for the ground clearance

Things that do not matter:
1. Navigation system
2. After Sales Service - Will be serviced at a reliable FNG - however part availability does matter.

I already have a 9 year old BMW 5-series in the garage and am aware of the maintenance costs and pitfalls of having an old German in the stable.

I am willing to spend something in the 15-18L range and have shortlisted the Audi Q3 and the Mercedes GLA. Am willing to look at other options too that at least meet my must have criteria.

Also are there any models, manufacturing years or variants that I should avoid in the Q3 and GLA that are known to be problematic.
wanderer007 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 07:40   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-owned dilemma | Audi Q3 or Mercedes GLA?

I would personally go for the Q3. Better looking (I find the GLA to be too ugly), more presence, quite an all-rounder (other than the size). Get the workhorse 2.0 diesel and you're all set. In Mumbai, there will be ample choice of good independent workshops for maintenance.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 11:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes for the Q3. It ticks all your boxes and does a lot of things well. It's a good looker, like GTO correctly pointed out, and that diesel automatic will take you to the ends of the earth and back on one tankful. It's not too worrisome to own either. I have one in my friend's circle, and we've done multiple Goa/Mahabaleshwar road trips in it without breaking a sweat. Go for a good example without any hesitation.

The GLA is just a bit ugly and has too many compromises to be recommended over the Q3.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 14:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

I feel the X1 is a better option than both the GLA and the Q3. Do consider whether that is worth putting in the reckoning as well.

An older BMW will be easier to maintain than an older Audi (and to some extent also the GLA). The X1 will also likely feel just a smidgeon more in terms of presence as well as internal space to the other two options.

If it HAS to be only one of the two options you’ve listed, I guess the Q3 might be the better bet.
Axe77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 14:04   #5
BHPian

While Q3 is a better all-rounded package compared to the GLA, why not look at the current-gen BMW X1 as well? Both the X1 as well as Q3 will tick all the boxes.

Do note that only early models of the current gen X1 will make the cut (launched in 2016), that too at the higher end of the budget since it is essentially the same car currently available in the showroom (compared to the discontinued Q3 and GLA), but if you could find one, it will be fresh for a longer time.

If not, quite a few of my friends have the Q3, and everyone has been happy with their purchase.
hridaygandhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 14:57   #6
BHPian

I have a 2014 Audi Q3 (Diesel) and have been very satisfied with it. It's been as reliable as an Innova, not requiring anything more than regular maintenance. Add to that Audi Lucknow's service has always been top class. You will easily find a 2015/16 low mileage example matching/slightly above your budget.

Now among Q3 and GLA, I would always prefer the Audi as the GLA has lots of compromises. In terms of power, equipment (misses out on necessities like climate control) and Q3's interiors are noticeably better than GLA and X1.
My suggestion would be to chuck the GLA and compare Q3 and X1 based on the quality of examples you are getting on the market.
Aaroah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 16:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Of the two, my vote goes for Q3. Since your familiar with an independent garage, that is a huge relief.

Since you already own a BMW and are familiar with the brand why not look at the X1. Design wise it is the most appealing of all three. Also I think the X1 has sold in fairly large numbers compared to the other two. Also from what I have heard BMWs are fairly more reliable in the longer run and plenty of options are there in the used market.

TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 16:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I would vote for the Q3 as well : biggest advantage being that you may be able to get a newer Q3 than GLA due to Audi's poorer brand leverage.
Parts shouldn't be an issue : the rare ones will entail a wait, the others will be easily available though the Q3 should have an advantage here as the 2.0 TDi is fairly common across VWAG models.

If you can stretch your budget, I would look hard at the X1 as it is a newer gen vehicle at the end of the day.
However, current asking prices are ridiculous so do wait a few months before purchasing one, when the new model inventory & discounts pick up around / after Diwali.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 00:40   #9
BHPian

If I had to choose between Mercedes GLA and Audi Q3, it would be the Q3 for sure. For the money you are spending, Q3 offers better value in terms of AWD, clean SUV-ish design, plush interiors, better legroom, and hence comes closest to being a SUV. Over-assisted electric steering system and stiff ride quality on broken roads are the only drawbacks of Q3. If interested, try to get a well-maintained 2.0 TDI one.

The GLA looks merely an A-Class on steroids and doesn't really have anything valuable to offer other than its sedan-like driving dynamics. It is somewhat quirky and not as much aggressive as X1 and Q3. Also, GLA's diesel engine is way too underpowered as compared to that of Q3. This sluggish diesel is a big turn off when one is spending that kind of money. From what I understood, it was just a mediocre product, targeted at those brand conscious people who wanted to buy a Mercedes at cheap price. Honestly, there's nothing interesting in this car.

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 14th July 2021 at 00:45.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 07:47   #10
BHPian

I would vote for the Q3.

The old GLA doesn't look like an SUV at all, a jacked-up hatchback would be the best word to describe it. Even while driving, the Q3 feels the better than the GLA. Although GLA being the smaller car here, it handles corners with much ease.

Again, it depends on your driving style. If you're looking for an allrounder car that suits both the driver and the driven, then the Audi makes more sense. Go for the GLA if it's only you who would spend the majority of time inside the car.

May I also suggest the BMW X1?
It is simple a much better car to drive than both the cars mentioned above and although all three germans would have almost the same maintenance costs, BMW is the most reliable of the lot, but only by a small margin (I may be wrong, but this is what I feel).

Hope this helps,
Thanks.
Old 14th July 2021, 09:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

GLA comes in various flavors. Do decide if you're considering GLA 220d which has the same engine in higher tune and AWD. Or the GLA45 which is a manic petrol engine.
I would vote for the GLA rather than the Q3 which is just another VW on steroids. A very practical and nice car, but nothing to write home about.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 20:09   #12
BHPian

Tell you what! I just came back looking at a 2018 Q3 this afternoon.
The asking price was certainly on the higher side but can be negotiated.
I'm in the market for exactly those points you mentioned. And it is going to be my primary ride. Those dimensions are just perfect overall.

The only concern is, finding a car with decent kms on the clock and the right age - preferably less than 5 yrs - is difficult to come by.
adneeraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 21:40   #13
BHPian

I would go for the Q3 any day of the week - cleaner design, more spacious, most of the units sold came with Quattro and it has tons of shared powertrain components with VW / Skoda cars which would make it easier and cheaper to repair.
Old 14th July 2021, 23:13   #14

I would vote for the Q3. However, the VW Tiguan can also be considered. You should be able to get a newer/less driven Tiguan for the same budget. It will match the driving experience of the Q3, while burning a smaller hole in your pocket for maintenance.
Old 15th July 2021, 08:50   #15
BHPian

I recommend the Q3 over the GLA. But please consider these other options as well-
  • BMW X1: The most reliable among all the cars in the segment. Due to this reason, it's also the most expensive in the used car market, and finding one with low km is relatively more difficult because usually owners don't sell off this car early.
  • Volvo XC40: It's an excellent car, and probably has the best interiors among all. These are relatively cheaper than the others, but good examples are even more difficult to find than the BMW X1. Both of these causes are due to poor sales. Maintenance of this car won't be a problem in a place like Mumbai.
  • Volkswagen Tiguan: Probably the best bang for the buck you can get. It's available for cheap (relatively speaking) in the used car market. And it's basically a Q3 on a budget. A simple remap would fetch you the same power figures of the Q3. And the interesting thing is, new cars were available in showrooms, registered under the dealer's name, as late as December 2020! I had come across a few cars then. If you are willing to look for it pan India and willing to take the hassle, you might as well end up with a new car for about 22 - 25 lakhs.

I strongly recommend you to buy a car from Team-BHP classifieds section, and from a BHPian only, even if you have to shell out a few lakhs above market price.
Used car dealers today have really gone to the length and breadth to impose their influence and manipulate the credentials of used cars, and it's becoming increasingly dificult to find a truly clean car. I've lost trust even on the most reliable used car dealers.

Happy shopping!

Last edited by Big Smoke : 15th July 2021 at 08:52.
Big Smoke is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed