View Poll Results: Your choice?
Used Mercedes E-Class 54 24.43%
New Toyota Camry 167 75.57%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2021, 13:41   #1
BANNED

A Used E-Class or a New Toyota Camry?

So this person had just completed his MBA from XLRI 2 years ago. Now, having earned enough MOOLAH, he wanted to buy his first car with his own money within a substantial budget of 45 Lakh. His preferences were:
1. Petrol engine
2. Good aftersales
3. Fairly reliable (he was extremely aware that luxury cars do give issues later on)
4. Rear seat comfort
5. Soft Ride quality
6. Interior build quality

A new or a used car wasn't his concern. Instead, he was concerned only around the 6 points mentioned above.

It didn't take us long enough to shortlist 2 cars: A new Toyota Camry and a 3-year-old Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

An overview of a 3-Year-Old E-Class:
1. 2.0-litre turbo petrol making 184hp and 300Nm of torque.
2. 9G-Tronic transmission
3. COMAND Online infotainment system with a 12.3-inch display.
4. 7 airbags
5. 64-colour ambient lighting

An overview of a New Toyota Camry
1. A 2.5-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine and an electric motor. The hybrid system’s total output is rated at 218hp.
2. e-CVT automatic gearbox
3. 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
4. 9-speaker JBL sound system
5. 9 airbags

So it's a head vs heart battle. Someone who wants snob value will go with the E-Class. Someone who's more of a rational thinker will choose the Camry. Which is exactly what we did.

For starters, one cannot argue over the reliability of the Toyota Camry. It's an immensely popular global product from Toyota that reeks of great reliability. E-Class, well, it's a German luxury car. Period. The 2.0 turbo petrol in probability will last even half as long as the 2.5 NA petrol engine of the Camry. The 9-speed gearbox has its fair share of problems and is an extremely complex one to repair or replace. And the electrics of a German car are still not losing their temperamental nature, which is a big cause of worry in a car already over-stuffed with computers. I'd still rate the E-Class above the 5 Series and A6 for peace of mind. But anywhere near the Camry? NO.

Secondly, there's no doubt that in any case, a Toyota will be far cheaper to maintain than a Mercedes-Benz. Moreover, considering even the minutest of the risk involved with buying a used car, A Toyota makes more sense than a used German luxury car if you value reliability and maintenance costs.

Thirdly A Camry has more than enough features you'll ever need. Reclining seats, 18-inch multi-spoke alloys, LED DRLs, cooled front seats, touch-operated controls in the rear armrest, head-up display, cruise control, three-zone climate control, tyre pressure monitoring system, automatic LED headlamps, LED fog lamps, and electric steering adjust, sunroof, 10-way power-adjustable front seats, wireless charging and a hands-free park assist; sounds more than enough right?

And lastly what sealed the deal in favour of Toyota was the peace of mind associated with the brand. It's more reliable, far cheaper to maintain, will probably outlast 2 other generations of the E-Class, is supremely comfortable and refined, has sufficient features, is well built, and is extremely efficient which is a must in these days of in-form petrol prices regularly hitting a century.

So I guess doing an MBA has its perks. Plus it makes us use our head ore than the heart, which is never a bad thing, eh?
CarMaster_059 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 01:44   #2
BHPian

Re: A Used E-Class or a New Toyota Camry?

A new car any day. I would never suggest to buy an old one. Why don't you look at Superb. It is a much better and loaded car than Camry?
mathuranuj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 06:50   #3
Team-BHP Support

So many thoughts in my mind when I read this. Let me start with the cars first.

Given how young he is and the general shift to EVs and hybrids, I would actually suggest towards the used E class to enjoy the best of ICE while he can. It will just feel more special in every way, both to drive, to be driven in and sitting inside the E will bring that sense of occasion that the Camry cannot go toe to toe with. I am assuming since he’s comfortably plonking 45 - 50 on a car, the annual cost of a luxury barge is something he can afford. You haven’t mentioned categorically whether he will mostly be self of chauffeur driven. If he is going to self drive a lot, I would also recommend considering the 530i or even the petrol 6GT if that shape works for him (both used). They will feel more special to drive than the E class. But as an overall luxury sedan, its the E class all the way.

On an unrelated note, (and please forgive a middle aged man for perhaps philosophising) he seems very young. My only other advise is that this is the time to heavily invest surplus cash and let it enjoy the power of compounding over the next few decades. Depreciating assets may give you the feeling of being rich and some of the more fickle joys that money brings. Being wealthy is when you have the financial freedom to what you want with your time. He is clearly buying into a super luxury product where a 20 lakh Creta / Honda City could perhaps also do the job. Life is fickle and throws many curve balls as you grow older. True wealth comes from being able to have the freedom of time, to do what you want to do without the shackles of your employ.
Axe77 is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 08:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Purely on specs and reliability, I'd pick the Camry any day. But does it give you commanding respect compared to the E-Class? No.

If your friend is a rational thinker and okay with missing out on the prestige that comes with owning a luxury German car, Camry it should be.

If I had to pick a car in that budget, it'd be the Fortuner for its stupendous reliability, cheap service costs, menacing looks, and go anywhere ability needed during monsoon in most Indian cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
On an unrelated note, ....
You and I think like that (notice the italicized part in my third point), but not everybody else.

I know you have good intentions, but let us continue that debate on a thread like this: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...at-salary.html (What Car @ What Salary ?)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 1st August 2021 at 08:32.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 09:14   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Used Mercedes E-Class vs New Toyota Camry | Which would you buy?

Agreed with the choice. Both are a lot of car for anybody's first buy and if the person isn't a 'car guy', he will perhaps enjoy the Camry more. As we've often said before, the current-gen Camry is a Lexus with a T badge. It is very luxurious, comfortable, refined & also (surprisingly) a little fun to drive. A used E-Class would only make sense for the badge and if the person was looking for finer detailing & build. But the Camry wins for him, no doubt. For myself, I'd pick the pre-worshipped Benz.

Just hope he's not stretching himself too thin on the expenditure. While I wish him all the success, again, both of these are a lot of car as the first purchase.

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2021 at 09:17.
GTO is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 09:34   #6
BHPian

Re: Used Mercedes E-Class vs New Toyota Camry | Which would you buy?

A new Camry. The badge and attention seeking "may" wear off but reliability won't. And I have personally seen a lot of people look with an awe at the Camry in India since it's such a rare spot.
RavSam is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 10:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not split the difference and get a pre loved Lexus ES? Toyota reliability to go with the snob value of Lexus. Personally, I find the Y shaped cabin of the Camry off putting. ES has a far nicer ambiance, especially in the cognac shade trim.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 10:29   #8
BHPian

Neither of these two are driver's delight but more suitable for middle age rich lala/seth types being chauffeured around.....being as young as him if I were, neither of these will even be in top 10 of my list.
CosmicWizard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 12:07   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Given how young he is and the general shift to EVs and hybrids, I would actually suggest towards the used E class to enjoy the best of ICE while he can. It will just feel more special in every way, both to drive, to be driven in and sitting inside the E will bring that sense of occasion that the Camry cannot go toe to toe with. I am assuming since he’s comfortably plonking 45 - 50 on a car, the annual cost of a luxury barge is something he can afford. You haven’t mentioned categorically whether he will mostly be self of chauffeur driven. If he is going to self drive a lot, I would also recommend considering the 530i or even the petrol 6GT if that shape works for him (both used). They will feel more special to drive than the E class. But as an overall luxury sedan, its the E class all the way.

Reliability and cheap maintenance were his priorities.
Plus in the given 2 years he's been working since, all he's done is just invest.
Although rather than calling it philosophy, I'll take it as a wise man's words for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Why not split the difference and get a pre loved Lexus ES? Toyota reliability to go with the snob value of Lexus. Personally, I find the Y shaped cabin of the Camry off putting. ES has a far nicer ambiance, especially in the cognac shade trim.
A used Lexus is pretty hard to find, especially here in the North. Plus the infotainment isn't the easiest to use. We did have the lexus on our Mind. But eventually couldn't find one used.

MOD NOTE : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd August 2021 at 14:41. Reason: Mod note attached.
CarMaster_059 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 23:48   #10
BHPian

Given points 1,4,5 and 6 would highly recommend the E over a Camry. In the interior quality, materials used and nvh/sound insulation the E is superior no question, also it is RWD compared to the FWD in the Camry. Alternately he can look for used ES’s but they’re hard to find given Lexus’ limited volume.

As with any used car regarding points 2 and 3 it mainly comes down to doing proper homework and running all the checks and matching up the cars service history, take your trusted mechanic who’s familiar with Germans as well as have the dealer do a comprehensive check. If your friend is not willing to invest the required time for due diligence, then I’d say go with the Camry.

Would also recommend 2015 S500’s, beautiful V8 motor and will be superior to the E and Camry, given his main requirements listed above, most of these are listed at 48-55L, I’m sure can be negotiated down further. In case going with an S, make sure you have a competent garage outside that you trust as MB dealers tend to rip you for even basic service items. Good Luck!
Old 2nd August 2021, 00:46   #11

He should get a Toyota...clearly not a car guy.
I'm sure the Mercedes in question is LWB that too a used one. He won't be as excited when the bills start piling up or when the car is too long & low to go over bumps.
And with my knowledge from reading a LOT of BMW reviews on this site, Beemer is easier to maintain and more reliable in the big three.
If I were in his shoes with 45L handy for a depreciating asset. I would get something with character and not so practical something with an inline-six or a fast S5.

Keep this thread updated. Good luck. ��

~drumbrakes
drumbrakes is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMaster_059 View Post
His preferences were:
1. Petrol engine
2. Good aftersales
3. Fairly reliable (he was extremely aware that luxury cars do give issues later on)
4. Rear seat comfort
5. Soft Ride quality
6. Interior build quality

If we add a 7th parameter here then the decision is very simple.

7. Timeline to keep the car

If he wants to keep it for long (5+ years at-least) then Camry is the answer without doubt.

If he want to flip it in 2-3 years, then Merc is the way to go. Brand value, apart from having advantage over points 2 and 6 (I believe, have never sat in latest Camry though), work in favor of the Merc.

Last edited by sunilch : 2nd August 2021 at 11:21.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:35   #13
BHPian

Meet a lovely young thing on a first date.
Plonk your keys on the table.

Which is going to impress her more?
The tri star or the ovals?

Merc wins hands down.

*Above scenario is imagined based on the fact that your friend is a young gun.
RedTerrano is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Meet a lovely young thing on a first date.
Plonk your keys on the table.

Which is going to impress her more?
The tri star or the ovals?

Merc wins hands down.

*Above scenario is imagined based on the fact that your friend is a young gun.
What if she is a biker and has no interest in Cars?
sunilch is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:06   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
If we add a 7th parameter here then the decision is very simple.

7. Timeline to keep the car

If he wants to keep it for long (5+ years at-least) then Camry is the answer without doubt.

If he want to flip it in 2-3 years, then Merc is the way to go. Brand value, apart from having advantage over points 2 and 6 (I believe, have never sat in latest Camry though), work in favor of the Merc.
Perhaps owning a car on level with his boss might hurt his promotion prospects.
CarMaster_059 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks