Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2021, 00:36   #1
BHPian

What used car for 22 lakhs? Pre-owned GLA vs CLA vs 3-Series vs Compass vs A4

Hi friends,

The cars that have been shortlisted to replace my 2013 Skoda Superb TSI 1.8 are as below
1. Mercedes GLA
2. Mercedes CLA
3. Bmw 3 Series or GT
4. Audi A4 (New shape)
5. Jeep Compass 2020
Last minute additions
6. Audi A6 (Matrix) ( New addition)

Shortlisting decision has been based on first and foremost my choices, secondly its has to be Petrol and third compact with big engine.

I drive alone most of the time, I dont want a big car, with superb It felt like carrying a spare sofa most of the time. But on other hand 1.8 TSI has spoiled me to core, the rush you get when you floor the pedal on skodas is superb. Lastly I am used to and can get any luxury car repaired cheaply in Delhi.

The car i so desire is 320i but i am not sure if i can get one with low odo and not more than 3-4 years old in my budget. My friend sold his 2016 GT for 22L a few months ago(I know i missed) but similar cars are listed at 30-32L on carwale etc.

I need help with understanding how used car market prices work. What all can i get in this budget. Theres a huge disparity between what price I feel a car should be and what carwale shows. I need a fun to drive car above anything and a little snob value too.

Audi A4 is second in my list. But again not sure if i can get the newer model in my budget. Older one i tried didnt feel much different from my superb in terms of interior cabin.

GLA and CLA make it to this list because its a merc, compact, big engine, definitely within mybudget and easy to repair from outside.

I love the shape and interiors of new Jeep Compass although i am not an SUV guy but highly doubtful of its paltry 1.4 petrol engine.

Also enters the list Audi A6 Matrix. My one question is can outside number plate diesel car run in delhi without any issues post 10 year mark?

My running is not more than 4-5K a year max. Please advice.

Last edited by somebodystopme : 1st August 2021 at 00:57.
somebodystopme is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 02:02   #2
BHPian

re: What used car for 22 lakhs? Pre-owned GLA vs CLA vs 3-Series vs Compass vs A4

2021 is the year where all are fulfilling their passions and dreams by buying their favourite cars.

The superb is a brilliant car and that 1.8 is an amazing engine indeed. It is petrol so I would ask you to not retire it and wait to till next year to buy that 3 series which you desire in your price bracket.

If you want to buy a car right now then you can easily get a 2017 A4 technology under 25L. It is a pretty car especially in the black when cruising in the night. The interior is fab and the car is good to drive. It's a VAG car so you cannot go wrong with it. It's also a host to a lot of features, especially that virtual cockpit which is mouthwatering.

I’d rather ask you to stay away from the Mercs you mentioned because they don’t feel like what a Merc should feel like. I think the Superb’s interior is better than these two. Mercedes cars give a special occasion when you sit inside them. These two feel cheap and are not VFM.

The Jeep is a good car but everyone in this forum will agree with me that buying that 1.4 petrol engine Jeep for that much money is not worth it. If you want a Jeep then you buy it diesel or you don’t buy it at all.

Yes diesel cars that are <10 years old are not allowed to run in Delhi anymore. The A6 Matrix came to the market in 2015 so if you buy one right now you can easily drive it for 4 years which I think is a good run for your money. That A6 is probably one of the most handsome Audi’s ever made.

You can check the Thread on the Forum on buying a used car by adya33. Very informative and helpful.

Cheers.

Last edited by speedfreak77 : 1st August 2021 at 02:06.
speedfreak77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 02:47   #3
BHPian

re: What used car for 22 lakhs? Pre-owned GLA vs CLA vs 3-Series vs Compass vs A4

3 Series GT ticks all boxes in your case. It is actually something which most people forget when buying a used premium sedan for the truth to be said. As compared to the regular F30 3 Series, the GT offers crossover height seating comfort along with the sportiness of a sedan. Inside the cabin, it has right amount of space, and the ride quality is just superb. Unlike the C-Class and 3 Series, the GT delivers a much better design from a usability standpoint. Frameless side windows, pop-up rear spoiler, sporty old-school hand brake, etc are really gorgeous. Although the GT is not a popular choice among premium used car buyers, it is still a very practical option.

GLA and CLA doesn't even deserve to be considered as those cars have nothing valuable to offer other than its okayish driving dynamics. Their diesels are way too underpowered as compared to that of 3 Series. This sluggish diesel itself is a big turn off when one is spending that kind of money for a pre-owned car. Those are just some mediocre products targeted at some brand conscious people.

Current-gen A4 in its pre-facelift avatar had no diesel engine on offer. It came with the 1.4 TFSI + 7-Speed DSG combo instead. The small turbo-charged motor wasn't really impressive, and the gearbox is known for unreliability. Believe me, it can come nowhere close to your Superb in terms of performance and dynamics. This car has the advantage of looking clean and having a decent fuel efficiency. Buying an A4 will be like staying in a luxurious hotel and ordering the cheapest food to save a few hundred bucks.

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 1st August 2021 at 03:00.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 13:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyfiesta View Post
3 Series GT ticks all boxes in your case. It is actually something which most people forget when buying a used premium sedan for the truth to be said. As compared to the regular F30 3 Series, the GT offers crossover height seating comfort along with the sportiness of a sedan. Inside the cabin, it has right amount of space, and the ride quality is just superb. Unlike the C-Class and 3 Series, the GT delivers a much better design from a usability standpoint. Frameless side windows, pop-up rear spoiler, sporty old-school hand brake, etc are really gorgeous. Although the GT is not a popular choice premium used car buyers, it is still a very practical option.

Thank you for weighing in your two cents. GLA & CLA are out then.

Only problem with beemers is they are all mostly available in Diesel. Petrol ones are so rare and pretty old or super expensive. I would love for someone with knowledge of used car to guide me how much petrol 3 beemer in gt or non gt avatar probably 2017-18 should set me back?

I guess A4s I can TD once and see if i can live with it or not. A6 matrix is still a contestant.

Probably I should wait a few more years and buy the new octavia once it hits the used market. What do you think?
somebodystopme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 13:49   #5
BANNED

CLA and GLA are cheaply made entry level Mercs. Perhaps not well made mechanically and suffered from a host of reliability issues.

A4 again has a DSG gearbox. A reliability nightmare. Plus the 1.4 tsi offers paltry performance. If you want it then look out for the latest one with a 2.0 TSI new or used. But then again the DSG gearbox stays the same.

Jeep is another car you should avoid if you are looking for an automatic. It too has a dry type dual-clutch transmission. Certainly the worst automatic type you can buy in India, reliability wise.

3- series/GT is a solid car. BMW engines can last long if properly taken care of (Not considering their 4.4 V8's though). The transmission too is ZF made. It's a good transimssion. But be extremely careful while checking all the electrical components of the car. That's exactly where Beemers trouble you the most.

I'd personally choose a C-Class. Not as engaging as a Beemer but it has good performance and a very exquisite cabin. Aftersales is better too.

But amongst the cars you've shortlisted, 3/GT is the one to go for.
CarMaster_059 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 18:24   #6
BHPian

Given your low running, I would wholeheartedly recommend going for a pre-owned 3 or 3GT, whatever you can find in your budget. If you would like to retain Superb like comfort and practicality levels then the 3GT should be your pick otherwise go for the 3 series for sheer driving pleasure.

As a 320i owner myself, I couldn't have been happier with my purchase but I would strongly recommend going for a 330i/328i unless you don't mind filling up on XP95 daily.
dealer is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 22:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
As a 320i owner myself, I couldn't have been happier with my purchase but I would strongly recommend going for a 330i/328i unless you don't mind filling up on XP95 daily.

Can you please elaborate on this please?
Old 1st August 2021, 23:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
Can you please elaborate on this please?
The B48B20A is a high compression ratio variant of the same B48 engine used in the 330i. It's one of those engines where you can feel the performance difference on regular 91 RON fuel in comparison to higher octane fuels. So I would recommend using 95RON on this car especially for best performance and safety of engine internals.
dealer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 08:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: What used car for 22 lakhs? Pre-owned GLA vs CLA vs 3-Series vs Compass vs A4

Quote:
I need a fun to drive car above anything and a little snob value too.
From your list, only one car fits the bill. The BMW 3 series. Nothing like it if you can get a 328i. It is epic.

I would not bother with the Mercedes CLA. I like the way it drives (looks even better and more current than a 3 series in my opinion) and that badge commands a kind of respect that no other car brand can get. The one problem with the CLA is space. I bet a Suzuki Baleno has more space on the inside. It is small, cramped and has a weird driving position. If you are tall, as in , closing in on 6ft, you can forget about it.

The A6 is a decent drive but needs the 3 TDI engine as the bare minimum. If you do find one in the market, you should take it for a test run. Its one of those engines that will put a smile even if you are a die hard "petrol" head.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 10:53   #10
BHPian

Re: What used car for 22 lakhs? Pre-owned GLA vs CLA vs 3-Series vs Compass vs A4

If you're looking for a standard sized car that is good to drive, why not look at a pre-owned Audi A3? This post by user deepfreak15 - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...mium-plus.html (I bought an Audi A3 35 TFSI Premium Plus) - makes for great reading.

I recently purchased a 3.5year old A3 from Audi Approved Plus which has run only 15K km. It is a Diesel variant though since I run between 15-20K km per year and more importantly after having driven a Skoda 2.0TDI, I really wanted to own a car with a similar engine. While the 2017-2020 series of A3 petrol cars came with a 1.4L engine, it seems that for a car of this size, it is still quite fun to drive. Unless you can pick up the first generation A3 which came with a 1.8L TSI.

Good luck!
anandavinash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 16:48   #11
BHPian

- You will feel cramped inside GLA / CLA
- Compass will feel underpowered after 1.8 TSI
- A3 / A4 will be marginal upgrade from Superb

My recommendation would be X1 / 3 Series / C Class
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 23:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

3. Bmw 3 Series or GT

The car i so desire is 320i but i am not sure if i can get one with low odo and not more than 3-4 years old in my budget. My friend sold his 2016 GT for 22L a few months ago(I know i missed) but similar cars are listed at 30-32L on carwale etc.
I was in the market for a used 320i/320d last year when i was able to locate one single example of 320i and 10 times more of 320d. It was a 27kms run car, with one service done from an independent garage. I stayed away from it because of that. As far as price went - i had negotiated for the 320i luxury line 2017 Jan Registered model during 2020 Aug for around 22 Lacs but didn't go ahead with the deal. In terms of power its a decent engine but no match for 330i or 320d. Does give you good performance in sports mode though.

I finally for reference went through multiple deals but didn't finalize when i calculated my yearly costs for an older car vs a newer car - its pretty much the same if you like to keep your car for 10 years minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Given your low running, I would wholeheartedly recommend going for a pre-owned 3 or 3GT, whatever you can find in your budget. If you would like to retain Superb like comfort and practicality levels then the 3GT should be your pick otherwise go for the 3 series for sheer driving pleasure.

- completely agree with this and considering XP95 is only ~INR 5 expensive than regular and easily available in Delhi NCR
kartikv1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 23:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikv1 View Post
I was in the market for a used 320i/320d last year when i was able to locate one single example of 320i and 10 times more of 320d. It was a 27kms run car, with one service done from an independent garage. I stayed away from it because of that. As far as price went - i had negotiated for the 320i luxury line 2017 Jan Registered model during 2020 Aug for around 22 Lacs but didn't go ahead with the deal. In terms of power its a decent engine but no match for 330i or 320d. Does give you good performance in sports mode though.

I finally for reference went through multiple deals but didn't finalize when i calculated my yearly costs for an older car vs a newer car - its pretty much the same if you like to keep your car for 10 years minimum.

- completely agree with this and considering XP95 is only ~INR 5 expensive than regular and easily available in Delhi NCR
Thanks thats a great point of reference. if you could share on dm contact details of person with whom you negotiated for the 320i. May be I’ll leave with him my details in case he gets similar car in future.
At the moment I am waiting patiently, as prices being quoted to me for used 3 series in delhi are north of 26-27. That too for 2015-16 model, which is no brainer in my opinion, all they want to do is call you half way down the city eat your head and not reduce more than a few pennies.
I also have my eyes on new skoda octavia may be it ll hit used car market in six seven months. I ll probably go ahead with that if i am not able to find a good 3 series deal.
Old 9th August 2021, 19:15   #14
BHPian

I would also recommend a Jaguar XE from 2016-17. I drove mine for 47000kms before selling it this month (for about 23L) and it was an incredible car. So much so that I bought another XE haha! Albeit the facelift. Cannot recommend it enough. Give it a shot. Thank me later .
ParthVyas777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 22:20   #15
BHPian

The problem here is that the best recommendations do not match your budget of 22L.

I recommend the only petrol options for you to consider in this budget (in this same order) - 3 series, Octavia vRS, C class, A4, XE.
I also strongly recommend you to consider the Polo GTI since you are almost always the lone person in the car. It's the most fun to drive among all these with a big heart.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 9th August 2021 at 22:21.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks