Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2021, 13:17   #1
BHPian

Advice on buying a used Audi A4

Hello Bhpians,

I am 41, a practicing physician, in Ever-Red city a.k.a Bengaluru. My work demands a total travelling distance of 20Kms per day in ORR Bengaluru, mostly multi-laned roads with decent surface and couple of Kms of Two way lanes with below average asphalt. Home and workplaces have dedicated covered parking slots but at times (on call) might have to use service lanes.

Outstation trips are mostly between Bengaluru-Chennai, 7-8 trips a year, used to be by train, but due to the Pandemic and accompanying Children past couple of years it has been mostly by car.

Currently I own a 3 year old, 30K run Skoda Rapid MPI AT. Its a slow car but suits my routine as the traffic never lets me step on the gas. On highways It is sometimes frustrating to do a quick overtake, but not a major irritant as the incidences are far and few, as I hardly enter 3 digit speeds, that too only when roads are open.

There is a very small necessity for a luxury car, due to social circle, but not a real pressure. So far I have avoided this necessity as I felt those few million rupees can be invested for Children education. And the original plan was to hold on to the rapid for another two years and exchange it for a better sedan/SUV costing about 25-30Lakhs.

On a casual meet this sunday I came to know about a 2017 Audi A4,45k run, Black colour, Technology trim being used by close friend, leased on his company name, exclusively and carefull driven by him and same driver from the time of purchase. It is immaculately maintained, scratch free, front bumper replaced after a minor damage(company policy as the vehicle is also used as ride for executives from Airport ). As there is an option of purchasing this vehicle or upgrading to a new vehicle, he has decided to exchange it in December 2021 and offered to transfer it to me If I am interested. The car would be duly serviced and get brand new boots before transfer.

This situation got me thinking and I have lost significant sleep over this. I request the esteemed bhpians to come to my rescue and clarify few of my queries.

1.Is A4 a good vehicle to consider buying at 4 years of age and how many years of durability/reliability left in this vehicle?

2.What would be the reasonable price I should look at? - I really can't haggle with him - It would be One offer and one counter offer and then deal or no deal, that's it. I would not loose my sleep if right price is 5% off the mark.

3.Any extended service/maintenance package available for A4?
aadya is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 13:50   #2
BHPian

re: Advice on buying a used Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Hello Bhpians,

2.What would be the reasonable price I should look at? - I really can't haggle with him - It would be One offer and one counter offer and then deal or no deal, that's it. I would not loose my sleep if right price is 5% off the mark.
I apologise for the extra post as I missed the time window for editing. A4 is not available with Diesel engine at present. A4 TFSI Technology trim OTR is 60.77lakhs in Bengaluru - just for the perspective as many states have much lower tax regime when compared to Karnataka.
aadya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 14:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On a casual meet this sunday I came to know about a 2017 Audi A4,45k run, Black colour, Technology trim being used by close friend, leased on his company name, exclusively and carefull driven by him and same driver from the time of purchase.
Post 2016 facelift, the Audi A4 was offered with ONLY a 1.4L engine.
The good old 1.8L or the modern 2.0L TSI lumps were not offered.

That 1.4L engine is not great, for the price it commands & the marquee.
The power on offer is at best adequate, rather than exciting.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 6th August 2021 at 14:27.
abhishek46 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 14:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
That 1.4L engine is not great, for the price it commands & the marquee.
The power on offer is at best adequate, rather than exciting.

Completely agree : the 1.4TSi with the troublesome DQ200 gearbox is best avoided.

There was the 2.0 TDi which is far more reliable and a great mile muncher.

If the vehicle in question is the 2.0TDi, current gen pre-facelift, you can consider it. The engine is reliable, the gearbox above average in reliability, and overall the car is a nice place to be though find a good independent mechanic who can help with servicing as Audi Service is dismal and they are better at running up a bill than solving the issue.
For a sedate driver, you would appreciate this car over it's peers : the F30 320D which has begun to feel dated, and the expensive to maintain but not as comfortable C220D.

If the car is the previous gen version : it really boils down to price (needs to be significantly lower than the F30 3 series & C Class) & if you can see yourself living with the dated interiors for the years to come. If it's a non-issue, it is again a good all rounder with quality interiors, easy to drive, decent pep, and good balance between ride & handling.

For price : I would give him a standing offer of Rs. 25-50K over and above the best price offered to him by a dealer. It will be a win-win for you & him (as dealers typically paint the bumpers and jack up the price by a cool Rs. 2-3L).
lamborghini is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 21:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like a good proposition assuming this is a petrol car. A well maintained leased vehicle from a friend is always going to be like brand new so you can assume there is nearly all its life left ahead for you to enjoy.

I understand the requirement to upgrade from a Rapid that too an old 1.6mpi AT. That said, considering luxury doesn't seem to be that much of a big deal to you, I would suggest test driving the All New yet recently discontinued Civic. I'm sure plenty of examples with low mileage or even Honda approved pre owned ones would be there in the market. Might work out to be the more economically sensible choice, may not also. But do try and take a look at a Civic before you make the decision to spend 25-30lacs on a used A4, since it is enough of an upgrade over the Rapid and you might find an even newer car for much cheaper if you decide to go for one.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th August 2021 at 21:06.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 23:49   #6
BHPian

Just a couple of days back I came across used A4 on OLX and that got me to see other A4's in my area and I was surprised to see 2017-19 models with under 30K odo for 25-27L while a new one costs close to 50L (on road Delhi).
I would suggest you to avoid A4 and if you are in no hurry then I would suggest you to wait a couple of years and get a 3 series or C class.
Jatin247 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 23:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians,

Very simple funda while buying a used car. Have a mental price in mind and make that offer.

Factor in all your worries in the price above (maintenance, reliability, etc). If you get the car at that price, be happy. Else, you have lost nothing.

A simple rule can be, look at the lower end of the Cars 24 valuation for the car condition as Good (excellent will be very rare).

Buyers Remorse is the worst risk while buying a used car.

P.S. - I have bought 7 used cars in my life so far
2000rpm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 11:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Post 2016 facelift, the Audi A4 was offered with ONLY a 1.4L engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
There was the 2.0 TDi which is far more reliable and a great mile muncher.

If the vehicle in question is the 2.0TDi, current gen pre-facelift, you can consider it. The engine is reliable, the gearbox above average in reliability,
For price : I would give him a standing offer of Rs. 25-50K over and above the best price offered to him by a dealer. It will be a win-win for you & him (as dealers typically paint the bumpers and jack up the price by a cool Rs. 2-3L).
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I'm sure plenty of examples with low mileage or even Honda approved pre owned ones would be there in the market. Might work out to be the more economically sensible choice, may not also. But do try and take a look at a Civic before you make the decision to spend 25-30lacs on a used A4, since it is enough of an upgrade over the Rapid and you might find an even newer car for much cheaper if you decide to go for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
A simple rule can be, look at the lower end of the Cars 24 valuation for the car condition as Good (excellent will be very rare).
Thanks for the valuable inputs. Again my bad I left it out while editing, the car in question is 2.0 TDI. There is no urgent necessity to upgrade the current ride,it has been trouble free so far, as I have dodged the TSI+DSG bullet and opted for slow business and no fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatin247 View Post
Just a couple of days back I came across used A4 on OLX and that got me to see other A4's in my area and I was surprised to see 2017-19 models with under 30K odo for 25-27L while a new one costs close to 50L (on road Delhi).
I would suggest you to avoid A4 and if you are in no hurry then I would suggest you to wait a couple of years and get a 3 series or C class.
Reliability wise I tend to think Audi and Merc are not far away and BMW scores much higher in this regard as per some of the used car threads I have seen in Tbhp.

If it is not from somebody very close I would not be considering this vehicle. I do not think of owning a luxury vehicle until my kids are in college and then I would be too old to sit low in a luxury sedan.

It would be helpful if there are any specific pain points in TDI+DSG A4 like the ones we hear about the GT-TSI, Vento TSI-DSG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Thanks for the tip. I have owned two used cars from Hyundai and was fine with them. I usually check orange book value to see the sell option to dealer for the lowest possible price for a particular variant.
aadya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 13:21   #9
BHPian

Having recently purchased a 2017 December manufactured Audi A3 35TDI (2.0L Engine) from Audi Approved Plus, my bits to share are as follows.

1. My car has the DQ250 wet clutch which is supposedly less notorious than the DQ200. So I don't think that should trouble you.
2. Audi Approved Plus recently have listed some A4 35TDI cars on their website. You can check what they are quoting which usually includes some warranty. That can be a basis for you to make an offer to your friend.
3. Given the age and running of the car, maybe better to ensure that the battery is replaced before you buy it. Unless the battery is a new one in which case you should be safe.
4. Audi recommends changing of the gearbox oil every 4 years or 60,000km. In your case, as a precautionary measure, it may be advisable to have this also changed.
5. Being a company owned car, maybe they have already depreciated it more than what dealers value the car at. Check this too once before making a decision.
6. Finally, if the car does not have an extended warranty or service package, don't fret over it. There are plenty of great workshops in Bangalore who work on such cars to sort out all issues. I have currently sent a 2011 Skoda Laura 2.0TDI Manual to them for a complete overhaul. Happy to share their details with you.

I've driven my A3 now for close to 300km in the city and with my light footed driving style, getting over 13 kmpl. Can't wait to get it out on the highway ASAP. Good luck with your decision.
anandavinash is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 15:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reliability wise I tend to think Audi and Merc are not far away and BMW scores much higher in this regard as per some of the used car threads I have seen in Tbhp.
It would be helpful if there are any specific pain points in TDI+DSG A4 like the ones we hear about the GT-TSI, Vento TSI-DSG.
The 2.0 TDi & DSG is a fairly reliable combo with most buyers not facing any issues.
Please make sure gearbox oil is changed, don't follow VW/Skoda's 15K interval between oil changes : our conditions are better suited for 10K intervals.

By and large the A4 should be a reliable car as most of the technology is tried and tested barring the instrument cluster and a few other bits. The bigger worry is poor service support : misdiagnosis, etc. which can lead to inflated bills. A good independent service center would go a long way in keeping costs low & the car in top condition.

Quote:
I usually check orange book value to see the sell option to dealer for the lowest possible price for a particular variant.
Sadly given the various preferences & regulations, calculating resale value in India isn't as easy as these don't take into accounts the premiums on diesels down-south.
I'd honestly just throw in a little over the top of the best dealer quote. Since you've clarified that this is a diesel & current gen, I wouldn't be surprised if the dealers keep a negotiation margin of Rs. 3+ lakh - more in the case of Audi Approved vehicles.
lamborghini is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 22:22   #11
BHPian

The A4 in its pre-facelift avatar originally had no diesel engine on offer. It came with the 1.4 TFSI + 7-Speed DSG combo instead at first. The small turbo-charged motor wasn't really impressive, and the DQ200 gearbox is always known for unreliability. This car has the advantage of looking clean and having a decent fuel efficiency. Buying an A4 in petrol format will be like staying in a luxurious hotel and ordering the cheapest food to save a few hundred bucks.

If you really want to buy an A4, go for the later 2.0 TDI ones with DQ250 transmission. The 35 TDI has good mid-range punch and performance, and the DQ250 DSG is decently reliable too as compared to the problematic DQ200. Overall speaking, diesel-powered A4 is actually an all-rounder as it offers insane acceleration coupled with a capable suspension and a super-responsive transmission. It is much more practical than F30 3 Series and W205 C-Class with adequate cabin space and comfortable seats. Unlike most other luxury cars, A4's boot is really useful as the space-saver is tucked neatly inside.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 09:32   #12
BHPian

My two cents - a 1.6 MPI Rapid is still more exciting to drive than a 1.4 A4. That said, look for the diesel variant, or look at used BMW 330i’s or 320d’s for the fun to drive factor. Plenty of grunt on offer for the highways too.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 9th August 2021 at 09:34.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 11:14   #13
BHPian

A 4 year 45k run car with good maintenance should be good for easily another 6 years. These cars good for 120-150k if maintained well. So you should be able to use this car for another 5 years easily. As far the book value of the in car in company's books won't be more than 25%.
As far your asking price, no more than 50% of Invoice value (not on road cost). Check The condition of tyres and battery. Both will be nearly end of their life, if they haven't been replaced in last year or so. These 2 can set you back close to 70 to 80k. If they are not new, reduce that from your quote.

Since you already mentioned that the car will be serviced before delivery to you, you just need to get the comprehensive insurance renewal done. If possible request for a Bumper to bumper zero dep insurance and bear the incremental insurance on your own.

Since the seller is known to you, you can ask for their expected price before you giving your quote. One more thing, check whether RC transfer will be done directly to you from the company's name, this way, you will be owner number 2 as per RC book. It will be useful 5 years down the line.
BrakingBad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 11:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians,

1.Is A4 a good vehicle to consider buying at 4 years of age and how many years of durability/reliability left in this vehicle?

3.Any extended service/maintenance package available for A4?
1. Audis are very reliable, as are most of modern vehicles lately. Audis actually are in top of JD power rating in US in last few years. I see no issues and my Audi is 10+ year old now and runs well. I have taken it to Chennai, Ooty, Karawar and other many short day trips (500km+), without ever being stuck. Modern cars are designed to run 250k kms if maintained properly.

3. I would actually advise you to go for independent mechanic shops once the expensive warranties are over. Dealerships are a rip-off, I have not taken mine to dealer for three years now.

I understand it is more due to social pressure so an Audi badge fulfills that aspiration but a 1.4TFSI engine is weak in my opinion again. One thing I can tell you is once you are in A4, you will attract unnecessary attention and there will be people who will try to charge you and it is difficult to ignore them all the times honestly. Getting the least powerful engine may not be that great an idea from that perspective unless you are very well self-restrained on highway and can lead to buyer's remorse soon. Something to consider.

Personally, if it is to fulfill social pressure, I would recommend considering going for even older Audis or BMWs or Mercs (6 year olds). Set aside a couple of lakhs in case of bad luck and you may save much more.

OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 13:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandavinash View Post
Having recently purchased a 2017 December manufactured Audi A3 35TDI (2.0L Engine) from Audi Approved Plus, my bits to share are as follows.
Thanks. Should check about the Gearbox oil. Certainly would PM once I own the car to find out about the independent workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The 2.0 TDi & DSG is a fairly reliable combo with most buyers not facing any issues.
Thanks for the reassurance. At present, similar vintage and 40k run A4 in Audiapproved is being quoted about 32-34L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyfiesta View Post
The A4 in its pre-facelift avatar originally had no diesel engine on offer. It came with the 1.4 TFSI + 7-Speed DSG combo instead at first. The small turbo-charged motor wasn't really impressive, and the DQ200 gearbox is always known for unreliability.
It is a 2.0 TDI and I am certainly not looking for a petrol Audi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakingBad View Post
As far your asking price, no more than 50% of Invoice value (not on road cost). Check The condition of tyres and battery. Both will be nearly end of their life, if they haven't been replaced in last year or so. These 2 can set you back close to 70 to 80k. If they are not new, reduce that from your quote.
Will surely follow your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
1. Audis are very reliable, as are most of modern vehicles lately. Audis actually are in top of JD power rating in US in last few years. I see no issues and my Audi is 10+ year old now and runs well. I have taken it to Chennai, Ooty, Karawar and other many short day trips (500km+), without ever being stuck. Modern cars are designed to run 250k kms if maintained properly.
Certainly there is a social requirement, but it is not a pressure situation. I embarked on this journey just because I got this reliable vehicle being offered to me. I thought I might not get this opportunity to enter luxury segment with minimal doubt in the mind.

Last edited by aadya : 9th August 2021 at 13:12.
aadya is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks