Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2021, 19:45   #31
BHPian

re: Which fun-to-drive sedan for ~35 lakhs? EDIT: Got the BMW 330Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL View Post
If you are less than 5.10 ft and dont mind the low seating of the 530d, go for it eyes closed. Late (2015-17) F10 530ds are changing hands at under 30 lakhs in mumbai. I have seen a G30 530d initial lot going for 38 lakhs. I would prefer to go for late F10 than an early G30.
I have heard F10s having engine failures from my FNG. G30 has a sorted engine and is a mile muncher.
Old 5th September 2021, 22:19   #32
BHPian

You can also look at the G30 530i. It should be significantly cheaper than than the 530d and is definitely more fun than the 520d.
Early ones (2017-18) in Mumbai might go for near your budget. It's larger and better quality than the 3. Even the base (Sport Line) in the initial years was equipped with dynamic dampers and is brilliant to drive.

Quote:
If you are less than 5.10 ft and dont mind the low seating of the 530d, go for it eyes closed. Late (2015-17) F10 530ds are changing hands at under 30 lakhs in mumbai. I have seen a G30 530d initial lot going for 38 lakhs. I would prefer to go for late F10 than an early G30.
Really? That's a great price! Current 530d listings in Mumbai are all well north of 50L.
thechinmay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 23:04   #33
BHPian

I came across this Volvo S60 T6 listed on olx. My observation, though the asking price is on the higher end especially for a 2nd owner car, the T6 is a potent machine and you should definitely be evaluating it.

Volvo S60 T6

Happy hunting!
AJ739 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 02:03   #34
BHPian

Why not the superb? I think GTO picked up one this year for 33 or so. Amazing car, superb legroom
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 03:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

The A4 Tsi sounds like the bargain of all bargains.

Sure, its an Audi so not quite the driver focused car of the lot. Don't expect great steering feel or feedback. That said, the 2l Tsi is a fun and refined motor. In a compact car like the A4, it should easily put a smile on your face.

Personally, I prefer the interior appointments in terms of materials on an Audi. You get more toys on a BMW and Mercedes for sure.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 09:21   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Try to find a personally owned, first owner 320D.
Agree. Getting a 330i sedan / GT requires excellent timing and a lot of luck. Bringing them down from BOM is a good alternative. Petrols are in demand in NCR now and not so available any more.

On the other hand, a pre-worshipped 320D LCI sedan should be much easier to find, and under BRI too if you're lucky. Get it formally checked at BMW Service and verify all service records.

Then remap it with a Quantum tune to 220+ bhp / 500 Nm & upgrade the tyres. . The engine is bulletproof and can easily last many years.

See messages like what coolboy007 has posted:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5124720
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 13:53   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaboonviper04 View Post
In terms of requirements:

- Has to be a fun-to-drive sedan.

…….

Not to confuse anyone, but in terms of hatchbacks, if there was a new Polo that was also practical, I’d have seriously considered it as the better half would surely be more comfortable driving a smaller, “less-fancy” car.
Karthik
If you could’ve seriously considered a Polo, maybe consider the Mini Cooper S? Not many cars that are more fun to drive here, is sexy, pretty reliable, and you can get the convertible. For Bangalore, I would’ve seriously considered the A3 convertible too.
The possible customisations are near infinite and can keep you interested and happy for a long time.

Before you make up your mind either way, test drive everything on the list. Good luck.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 15:20   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
If you can verify the full service history with BMW, then the type of the seller and number of owners become less important.
Personally I feel petrol+ZF8 is worthy of a bucket list item.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
The issue with going through the dealer is that they'll hike the price up by a bit. Try to find a personally owned, first owner 320D. That would be the ideal scenario.
Don't leave it to luck; once you zero in on a car, get it checked out at BMW.
Thank you both. For sure. For starters, I've now put BMW at the top of my list, then comes any other option. I'm currently looking at a petrol 3GT, and I will take it to BMW for a full check. If it doesn't work out, my next option would be to find a first owner 320D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak77 View Post
I’m sure the accident was nothing major in both these cars
I followed up even after knowing that there was some damage involved. That VRS was not only an accidental car that the dealer/owner have got work done on (very well, I must say by the looks of it), it was also stage one modded! To me, it makes no sense that someone passionate enough about their ride to mod it would be so eager to sell it off after a minor accident. Personally, I think it’s best to avoid it. Of course, it’s possible that I missed out on something awesome, but I’m okay with that. Thanks though for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_4662 View Post
As an owner of a 2018 3GT Diesel , I would recommend this car hands down!
If looking for a new option, may I suggest the Skoda superb sportline? That said. If I were you , I'd go the BMW way.
Hey, thanks. I am surely trying to go the BMW way! Every time I hear something good about BMW, it ticks another box inside.
I’ve got one or two diesel GTs shortlisted. I drove the Skoda Superb, and it’s a beautiful car inside out, no doubt, and very practical. But it didn’t feel as much of a driver’s car to me, definitely not compared to some used BMW options there are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Here's my take on this:
If you can do it, buy a used F10 530d in NCR/Mumbai and drive it down to Bangalore.
Thanks a ton for those details. Just thinking of such a long drive with that car is so exciting. I have been looking at used options from Mumbai/NCR. I haven’t yet come across a single owner good 530d that isn’t too old. Ideally, I don't want to get something that is 7-8 years old. If nothing I have currently pans out, I'm going to keep looking even if a bit older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
In F30, I've owned both 320d pre LCI and 330i LCI.
I'd go for the 320d because the steering feel is too light in 330i probably because its a variable sports steering.
Thanks for the confirmation. I’m currently looking at a 330i GT and if that doesn’t work out, then I have a couple of diesel 320ds and GTs to look at.

Quote:
If you are less than 5.10 ft and dont mind the low seating of the 530d, go for it eyes closed. Late (2015-17) F10 530ds are changing hands at under 30 lakhs in mumbai.
Wow, that is a mouthwatering deal and not something I've come across on my searches yet without the car being quite old! And I’m 6’4” though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierk View Post
if your game and eligible to do a BH registration, a new car may just work out better.
If Tesla bring a dual motor to the country, and your ok all electric it may be the fastest 0-60 car on the market.
Unfortunately I’m not eligible for BH registration; it’d have made life easier. I am excited about electric cars, especially Teslas. For now, the petrolhead in me is still alive and kicking, and wants to drive one while I still can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechinmay View Post
You can also look at the G30 530i. It should be significantly cheaper than than the 530d and is definitely more fun than the 520d.
Thanks. Surely haven’t come across any 530is in my budget. And so far, no great options either in terms of the 530d. I’m currently looking at a 3 GT here, and if that doesn’t pan out, I’ll be back to the search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Why not the superb? I think GTO picked up one this year for 33 or so. Amazing car, superb legroom
I drove the Superb, and while it’s an amazing car to be driven in, it’s not the same as a BMW to drive. Skoda is surely VFM, no doubt about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The A4 Tsi sounds like the bargain of all bargains.
Personally, I prefer the interior appointments in terms of materials on an Audi. You get more toys on a BMW and Mercedes for sure.
Thank you. True, and I agree. I am surely considering an A4 if none of my used BMW options work out. In fact, I really like Audi’s design, especially on the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Agree. Getting a 330i sedan / GT requires excellent timing and a lot of luck.
On the other hand, a pre-worshipped 320D LCI sedan should be much easier to find, and under BRI too if you're lucky. Get it formally checked at BMW Service and verify all service records.
Hey, I’m glad to hear from you! I’ve always been a BMW fan, and had let life subdue that for too long. Your 330i thread was the one that kicked it back alive for me, really. Yours and Ganesh’s 3GT have caused me (and my better half) a lot of sleepless nights, and you folks don’t realise the damage your posts do to relationships! Jokes aside, huge thanks for keeping your thread going. I don't think I'd be looking at a BMW if not for some of you here on Team-BHP.

I am pursuing a 330i GT right now, and I really hope it pans out. One bummer though- it doesn’t have any warranty on it. I’m going to check it out soon, and I believe it’s been well taken care of (serviced only at BMW, etc), but what do you think? Of course, I’ll follow all the steps in the used car thread, and will take it to BMW too. Is the lack of warranty a big deal given our use (probably less than or around 10k per year) and sane driving style? The car in consideration is 2018 make and has clocked ~25k.
If this doesn’t pan out, I’ll try and find a 320D as you suggested, but likely from out-of-state. Regardless, if I pick up a BMW, I'll reach out for your help, it that's okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
If you could’ve seriously considered a Polo, maybe consider the Mini Cooper S? Not many cars that are more fun to drive here, is sexy, pretty reliable, and you can get the convertible.
Thanks for your inputs, and for the luck! Oh, the Polo was always going to be a compromise- in trying to work with a budget and also trying to satisfy driving needs. We did look at the Mini at the showroom. It’s such a cool little thing, but not super practical.
Gaboonviper04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 16:14   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

^ For your budget, look at the cars with latest generation ZF8 gearbox + Petrol engine. You may not be able to notice the difference during initial drives but this combination is far superior to any diesel and early ZF8 petrols. Any bmw will please during the initial days but 330i and 530i will be endearing in the long run.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 19:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am pursuing a 330i GT right now, and I really hope it pans out. One bummer though- it doesn’t have any warranty on it. I’m going to check it out soon, and I believe it’s been well taken care of (serviced only at BMW, etc), but what do you think? Of course, I’ll follow all the steps in the used car thread, and will take it to BMW too. Is the lack of warranty a big deal given our use (probably less than or around 10k per year) and sane driving style? The car in consideration is 2018 make and has clocked ~25k.
I think the 330i GT is a brilliant choice for your needs. Pursue it as diligently as you can, I hope it checks out.

With respect to the warranty, I wouldn't worry too much, although it is of course ideal to have the safety net of it. The F3X platform is quite a reliable and proven platform, with only the ABS sensor being a bit nigglesome.

I picked up a 2012 328i in 2018, and it's been a reliable, fun companion for me. I would recommend BMW turbo petrols whole heartedly, as Androdev did too.

The only thing I will recommend (besides having it checked out by BMW beforehand, which I'm sure you will do) is to keep a good garage handy. It'll save you a bucketload of money over going to BMW, and a great one will mean zero compromise in quality too. With bimmers, the more preemptive care you shower on it, the better it treats you. A great garage will be key to pampering her, whenever she graces your stable.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 22:26   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you both. For sure. For starters, I've now put BMW at the top of my list, then comes any other option. I'm currently looking at a petrol 3GT, and I will take it to BMW for a full check.
Is this the blue 330iGT on classifieds?

I'm in a similar boat, looking for a nice 3GT in a similar price range - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...-35-lakhs.html (What pre-owned luxury car for 35 lakhs?). I'd like a diesel though. Don't have private messaging enabled, but please feel free to message me if it is the blue 330i. I'd spoken to the owner earlier, we can compare notes.
npal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 23:52   #42
BHPian

You’ve got some good options to consider at the budget you have fixed.
My choices would be (in the order of preference)

1- BMW 330i (pre-owned) or a 320d. Checkout the GT if favouring more rear seat legroom
2- Mercedes Benz C 220d or C 200(pre-owned), just don’t expect a sporty drive though, but you’ll be pampered sure with comfort
3- Skoda Superb (sport line), you would need to stretch a bit above 35 lac but well worth as its truly a sedan that punches above its weight
4- Skoda octavia, superb’s little brother is well within your budget and truly ticks all the right boxes
5- Audi A4 2.0 TDI (pre-owned) , a true all rounder with all the tech and with the perfect engine-gearbox combo for mile munching

Happy hunting!
pradheepsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 22:53   #43
BHPian

Quote:
- I’m open to picking up a used car.
Any input is appreciated,
Karthik
Hey Karthik, an option I don't see you considering is the Audi S4. They can be had around 23-27L in the used market and comes with a Quattro Supercharged V6 333hp engine. Since other than the engine it is an A4, it makes for a great sleeper car and service is not very expensive either. It is small enough on the outside to be maneuverable in the city and large enough on the inside to have decent legroom. A good friend of mine picked one up last year and is now lusting after a Porsche Cayman, so if you'd like, I can put you in touch with him.
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 11:32   #44
BHPian

We are exactly in the same boat:
Crossover haters, Sedan lovers. We thought of second hand BMW/ C / A class, and then the servicing cost of those cars scared us away. It was probably coincidental that we saw a 1.7L service bill without major repairs on one of the Mercs. And my wife said that we should do charity rather than spend so much on servicing a car every year, and so ended our longing for the Big 3.

What next is our question too. (We loved the Civic and we almost booked, and they stopped it). Vento, Rapid etc don't seem like an upgrade, with their small engines, and limited space.

So, we have been contemplating about the Elantra. (I know, it simply doesn't suit a BHPian to even think of it, but somehow I feel like we should give it a shot)
After the facelift in Oct 2019, the sales numbers dropped to less than half, and the trend has continued ever since. Reviews suggest that it doesn't handle that well, and has a rather poor steering. The front looks dull too, compared to its predecessor.

But, what makes me feel like giving it a shot:
This is one of those last few D segment cars in the 20L bracket. See how over priced the Octavia is. Same would happen if the 2021 Elantra is launched here. These newer models have more things that we don't need, and charge exhorbitantly. The newer Elantra is also styled so aggressively to our liking. This has a Manual in both Petrol and Diesel models. This still has a diesel which is quite efficient. (We are diesel car lovers too )

But yes, this is still only a vague thought in our minds, to go check this out. I still feel, we should wait until the Sedan Lull passes by, and we get the newer ones rolling in. I am also hoping the that Octavia prices will be reduced in a few months, and or wait for something like the Skoda Slavia (If there is any car like it), or the new Vento on the newer platform.
Attached Thumbnails
Which fun-to-drive sedan for ~35 lakhs? EDIT: Got the BMW 330Li-screenshot-20210907-21.47.52.png  

vinya_jag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 20:14   #45

Advice on buying a used German

Hey guys,
My dad has recently decided he wants to upgrade from his 2015 Creta to a bigger car. Although new cars like the Tata Harrier are in contention, he is also interested in getting a used car from the German Big 3.

He isn't interested in buying anything older than 2017.
With a 20-30L budget, I did some research and found a multitude of 2018 Audi A3s and Q3s in this range and a couple X1s.
I am staying away from the A4s on sale due to the paltry 1.4L engine.

Most of these cars have done 25-40K kilometres and are being sold by used car dealerships.
Would these be good buys or am i setting my dad up for woeful reliability issues?

Most Viewed