Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2021, 22:47   #1

Luxury SUV for 75 lakhs to 1.25 crore on-road?

Greetings people.
I want to get a car for 75-1.25 Lakhs INR. But can't decide which one to get.

Here are some of my requirements :-
1) SUV but not too big like the GLS, X7
2) The car will primarily be chauffeur driven so the rear seats are a priority.
3) No turbo petrols as the car will be driven 100 km per day!
4) Good road presence if possible
5) Good ground-clearance
6) Must be a new-ish generation car

Right now I am considering the Defender 3.0 diesel, E-Tron Sportsback, GLE, Velar, and BMW X5 but I have an open mind.

Thanks for any help/replies in advance.
VanshK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 11:10   #2
BHPian

re: Luxury SUV for 75 lakhs to 1.25 crore on-road?

Looking at your requirement I see only Defender fitting the requirement minus the first point made. If that is too big for you, I’ll suggest the GLE.
SShandilya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 11:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprised to see the E Tron in your short list. That’s quite an offbeat choice. Not too sure how it will fare from a rear seat perspective, these EVs are driver’s cars after all and they all have a raised rear floor which kind of compromises the seating experience at the back. You will have to take extensive test drives and see for yourself if it works for you. But yes, nothing will touch it for running and maintenance costs. And it will be rarer than a Rolls Royce.

Otherwise, your best course of action should be to go with the new BMW X5. Mighty fine car to drive and to be driven around. It will be the most reliable of the lot, which is important considering your high usage.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 12:30   #4
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

With my extremely limited experience in this segment, my vote goes for the BMW X7 30d. Apart from the fact that it is big dimension-wise, it ticks all boxes right. The rear seats are comfortable specially if you opt for the captain seat variant. Add to that the air suspension feels sublime. It is a diesel and a potent one at that so 100 kms a day won't be much of an issue. The dimensions add to the presence of the vehicle and the X7 looks fairly imposing and butch.

Other options that matches most of your criteria are the GLS / GLE300d and maybe Discovery 5 but not sure about the long-term reliability of the Land Rovers in India.
//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 13:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

If you want road presence then look no further than the LR Defender! I just saw one yesterday, and I couldn’t help but comment that this thing is a monster out on the road. This is the Land Rover I would consider irrespective of their unreliable nature. But get the 3L 6cyl engines only if you do, because it will suit its character much more than the 2L 4cyl ones.

Or you can look at the BMW X5, won’t have the same presence as the Defender, but in terms of driving dynamics, engine specs; it in my books is at the top of the list you have mentioned.

The GLE300d, has a great backseat but paying a Cr and not getting a 6cyl engine will bug many, unless you get the more expensive GLE400d.

Haven’t experienced any electric so can’t comment on the Audi E-Tron. Although I have heard from a few people that it’s the best EV all-rounder currently sold in India.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 14:52   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd look at the GLE, XC90.
The Defender & Velar may not be the best in terms of rear seat comfort compared to it's peers. Similarly I wasn't too pleased with the rear seat comfort of the X5 and found it lacking underthigh support.
If you aren't brand conscious, have you looked at the Toyota Vellfire? Probably the best rear seat comfort out of all your choices, will be rare but easy to live with, and is a hybrid so expect decent fuel economy (our ES with a similar set up gets around 15kmpl in Mumbai traffic).
lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 16:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
have you looked at the Toyota Vellfire? Probably the best rear seat comfort out of all your choices, will be rare but easy to live with, and is a hybrid so expect decent fuel economy (our ES with a similar set up gets around 15kmpl in Mumbai traffic).
+1 There is no better rear seat, not even the Maybach. Well maybe the GLS Maybach maybe at par.
The hybrid engine will give you near diesel FE and being a Jap the maintenance cost will be far lesser than any German option hence overall this will be cheaper to run than a diesel German SUV
Sahil is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 16:15   #8
BHPian

I'd consider the Volvo XC90 or the Mercedes-Benz GLE. They're both comfortable, and fairly reliable as far as I know.

I know you mentioned you need ground clearance. However, if this wasn't a problem, the long wheel base Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedan is an extremely comfortable car to get chauffered around in for 100 km daily.

Also, if you don't mind, please mention your current rides or what you're planning to replace

Last edited by voldemort : 20th September 2021 at 16:18.
voldemort is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 16:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
+1 There is no better rear seat, not even the Maybach. Well maybe the GLS Maybach maybe at par.
The hybrid engine will give you near diesel FE and being a Jap the maintenance cost will be far lesser than any German option hence overall this will be cheaper to run than a diesel German SUV
+ 2 from me, @VanshK. Priced exactly in the mid-band of your budget, uber luxurious back seat, meant to be chauffer driven, long wheelbase for stability and super refined, silent as a whisper engine. The car is loaded to the gills with features and carries the legendary Toyota reliability assurance.
allinbalance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 16:45   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
There is no better rear seat, not even the Maybach. Well maybe the GLS Maybach maybe at par.
I tried the vellfire again, last week. My initial observations from last year are absolutely valid and the ride has its own flaws. For one, the ground clearance is really poor and it scrape anything and everything that’s a little more than a rumble strip. One can feel the road undulations at any speeds. I tried this time with 4 adults and the car bounced. There’s no match of Adaptive/ Air suspension against this double wishbone setup. Though the repairs will be virtually nil as compared to Air bellows.

Unfortunately, there’s not a single car that meet the requirements of OP at mentioned budgets. Perhaps, changing seating position to front is the only option, in which case a lot of cars can be considered.

Else, I will recommend a sedan like 7 series (preowned) and enjoy all the comforts in the rear. S class is also good but the seating posture of 7 is better and you don’t get tired. Some of 2016-17 model year from current generation can be had at 70-80 lac or even lower.
Turbanator is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 17:03   #11
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Our neighbor bought a brand new X530d last week. His previous car was a Toyota Camry (2015). Though he drives himself mostly, at times he also gets chauffeur driven, his own admission was that the Camry had a better backseat. I would rule out the X5 for chauffeur driven vehicle, the backseat doesn’t recline and generally lacks the feeling of a luxury car for 1Cr+ price. Great if self driven but for backseat I’d look at the Mercedes GLE or the Audi’s (supposedly better backseat comfort).

Vellfire is after all a Toyota and the ride isn’t anything great, besides it looks ugly as hell. I’m assuming little bit of brand cachet is needed.
RJK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 17:08   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanshK View Post
Right now I am considering the Defender 3.0 diesel, E-Tron Sportsback, GLE, Velar, and BMW X5 but I have an open mind.

Thanks for any help/replies in advance.
I believe the Discovery 5 will be more comfortable than the Defender, but does not look as good as the Defender. The Velar does not have the road presence. It is very difficult to find a single car that matches all your criteria.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 19:04   #13
BHPian

Why not check out the Lexus NX 300h? Its a compact SUV. Well within your budget. Its a compact luxury SUV. Great smooth hybrid engine. I'd of course go for a sedan for being chauffer driven however.
BennyA23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 20:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyA23 View Post
Why not check out the Lexus NX 300h? Its a compact SUV. Well within your budget. Its a compact luxury SUV. Great smooth hybrid engine. I'd of course go for a sedan for being chauffer driven however.
Thanks for the reply. How about the Lexus rx? The nx feels just a tad bit too small to be called a SUV. Also I am considering the EVs as I have a typical drive range and don't do too many road trips except small ones like 250 km road trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Surprised to see the E Tron in your short list. That’s quite an offbeat choice. Not too sure how it will fare from a rear seat perspective, these EVs are driver’s cars after all and they all have a raised rear floor which kind of compromises the seating experience at the back. You will have to take extensive test drives and see for yourself if it works for you. But yes, nothing will touch it for running and maintenance costs. And it will be rarer than a Rolls Royce.

Otherwise, your best course of action should be to go with the new BMW X5. Mighty fine car to drive and to be driven around. It will be the most reliable of the lot, which is important considering your high usage.
Thanks for replying. The etron is in the list as I found the rear seat quite nice when I got to see it in a mall in Delhi. I like the X5 but that will be my last case. Just worried about the resale value and other things that comes with being a early adopter.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 20th September 2021 at 21:18. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
VanshK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 21:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanshK View Post
Thanks for the reply. How about the Lexus rx? The nx feels just a tad bit too small to be called a SUV. Also I am considering the EVs as I have a typical drive range and don't do too many road trips except small ones like 250 km road trips.
Most definitely! I just suggested it thinking you were looking for something uber small! The SUV range from Lexus in general is a great bet, IMO. Amazing road presence. Very modern & contemporary.

TBF, I'd have range anxiety even on 250km trips!
But EV is the future and there's no denying it.

Hope you get your SUV soon, would love to see the review!
BennyA23 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks