Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2021, 21:16   #16

re: Luxury SUV for 75 lakhs to 1.25 crore on-road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShandilya View Post
Looking at your requirement I see only Defender fitting the requirement minus the first point made. If that is too big for you, I’ll suggest the GLE.
I really like the defender. Will definitely check it out. But I am just a bit concerned about its reliability. Regarding the GLE, I don't like the fact that I am paying 95l for a 2l Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Surprised to see the E Tron in your short list. That’s quite an offbeat choice. Not too sure how it will fare from a rear seat perspective, these EVs are driver’s cars after all and they all have a raised rear floor which kind of compromises the seating experience at the back. You will have to take extensive test drives and see for yourself if it works for you. But yes, nothing will touch it for running and maintenance costs. And it will be rarer than a Rolls Royce.

Otherwise, your best course of action should be to go with the new BMW X5. Mighty fine car to drive and to be driven around. It will be the most reliable of the lot, which is important considering your high usage.
I found the etron backseat to be adequate for my needs. It doesn't really have a raised floor like the EQC. I like the X5 but many of my relatives already own one and I don't want to be seen as a herd buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
With my extremely limited experience in this segment, my vote goes for the BMW X7 30d. Apart from the fact that it is big dimension-wise, it ticks all boxes right. The rear seats are comfortable specially if you opt for the captain seat variant. Add to that the air suspension feels sublime. It is a diesel and a potent one at that so 100 kms a day won't be much of an issue. The dimensions add to the presence of the vehicle and the X7 looks fairly imposing and butch.

Other options that matches most of your criteria are the GLS / GLE300d and maybe Discovery 5 but not sure about the long-term reliability of the Land Rovers in India.
I really like the x7 too. But my father doesn't approve of me buying very big cars but I will definitely try to keep it in my list. The gls just feel too lousy for me and I found the discovery 5 unimpressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
If you want road presence then look no further than the LR Defender! I just saw one yesterday, and I couldn’t help but comment that this thing is a monster out on the road. This is the Land Rover I would consider irrespective of their unreliable nature. But get the 3L 6cyl engines only if you do, because it will suit its character much more than the 2L 4cyl ones.

Or you can look at the BMW X5, won’t have the same presence as the Defender, but in terms of driving dynamics, engine specs; it in my books is at the top of the list you have mentioned.

The GLE300d, has a great backseat but paying a Cr and not getting a 6cyl engine will bug many, unless you get the more expensive GLE400d.

Haven’t experienced any electric so can’t comment on the Audi E-Tron. Although I have heard from a few people that it’s the best EV all-rounder currently sold in India.
I am a fan of the defender too. But heard there are supply issues. Getting the GLE would just hurt my pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I'd look at the GLE, XC90.
The Defender & Velar may not be the best in terms of rear seat comfort compared to it's peers. Similarly I wasn't too pleased with the rear seat comfort of the X5 and found it lacking underthigh support.
If you aren't brand conscious, have you looked at the Toyota Vellfire? Probably the best rear seat comfort out of all your choices, will be rare but easy to live with, and is a hybrid so expect decent fuel economy (our ES with a similar set up gets around 15kmpl in Mumbai traffic).
Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
I'd consider the Volvo XC90 or the Mercedes-Benz GLE. They're both comfortable, and fairly reliable as far as I know.

I know you mentioned you need ground clearance. However, if this wasn't a problem, the long wheel base Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedan is an extremely comfortable car to get chauffered around in for 100 km daily.

Also, if you don't mind, please mention your current rides or what you're planning to replace
The Volvo is a bit too old for my liking.
Right now I have a Mini Clubman, Merc C-Class(which I dont like), and a Baleno for home use.
Will be upgrading the Merc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I tried the vellfire again, last week. My initial observations from last year are absolutely valid and the ride has its own flaws. For one, the ground clearance is really poor and it scrape anything and everything that’s a little more than a rumble strip. One can feel the road undulations at any speeds. I tried this time with 4 adults and the car bounced. There’s no match of Adaptive/ Air suspension against this double wishbone setup. Though the repairs will be virtually nil as compared to Air bellows.

Unfortunately, there’s not a single car that meet the requirements of OP at mentioned budgets. Perhaps, changing seating position to front is the only option, in which case a lot of cars can be considered.

Else, I will recommend a sedan like 7 series (preowned) and enjoy all the comforts in the rear. S class is also good but the seating posture of 7 is better and you don’t get tired. Some of 2016-17 model year from current generation can be had at 70-80 lac or even lower.
I am trying to avoid pre-owned car at this price point. My family won't approve of me getting a pre-owned at this price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Our neighbour bought a brand new X530d last week. His previous car was a Toyota Camry (2015). Though he drives himself mostly, at times he also gets chauffeur driven, his own admission was that the Camry had a better backseat. I would rule out the X5 for chauffeur driven vehicle, the backseat doesn’t recline and generally lacks the feeling of a luxury car for 1Cr+ price. Great if self driven but for backseat I’d look at the Mercedes GLE or the Audi’s (supposedly better backseat comfort).

Vellfire is after all a Toyota and the ride isn’t anything great, besides it looks ugly as hell. I’m assuming little bit of brand cachet is needed.
No vellfire for me. Its too gaudy for my liking. Audi is definately catching my eye but a bit unsure about buying such an expensive EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I believe the Discovery 5 will be more comfortable than the Defender, but does not look as good as the Defender. The Velar does not have the road presence. It is very difficult to find a single car that matches all your criteria.
It definitely is very hard. My top pick as of now are the Defender, E-tron and X7. Can consider Lexus RX but it doesn't feel very luxurious. Still have an open mind. Also worried whether I should get such as expensive EV as a first timer.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 20th September 2021 at 21:19. Reason: Typos. Thanks.
VanshK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 22:12   #17
BHPian

re: Luxury SUV for 75 lakhs to 1.25 crore on-road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanshK View Post
I really like the defender. Will definitely check it out. But I am just a bit concerned about its reliability. Regarding the GLE, I don't like the fact that I am paying 95l for a 2l Diesel.
Well, Defender is a choice of heart. It’s presence can even overshadow dare I say it, the G wagon. Just few days back, I saw both of them parked together and it was the defender which had my eyes on it.

If logic is dominating the heart, go with X7. I know you want something smaller but whatever little I can sense, you’re not too rigid with size. It’s reliable, has good presence and comes with a 3L.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd September 2021 at 09:29. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Old 21st September 2021, 19:37   #18
BHPian

Re: Luxury SUV for 75 lakhs to 1.25 crore on-road?

I'd recommend the Lexus RX450h. It has one of the best rides, smooth and glides over bumps. Rear seat comfort is top notch and stands out from the crowd of the boring germans. Also, won't be a pain to maintain and won't leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.
HKap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 08:56   #19
BHPian

If you give more importance to road presence, among the SUVs within 1 crore price range, nothing beats LR Defender!
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 09:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Greetings people.
I want to get a car for 75-1.25 Lakhs INR. But can't decide which one to get.
Here are some of my requirements :-
1) SUV but not too big like the GLS, X7
2) The car will primarily be chauffeur driven so the rear seats are a priority.
I'm sure you're open to electric since you've already listed out the E-Tron as an option. So how about going for the EQC? Not very sure about the back seats though since the Team-BHP review states that it's a bit uncomfortable for 5 and that the seats are upright. Otherwise, you're good to go with it.

I guess the XC90/60 might be the other option for comfort. Do take a look at the GLE400d. It's an amazing machine, to be honest, and pretty comfortable for all.

Edit: Just read your last post.

Go for the X7. It's one of the best out here in this segment. If not the X7, there's only one way out and that is the GLS in 400 guise.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 22nd September 2021 at 09:52.
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Greetings people.
I want to get a car for 75-1.25 Lakhs INR. But can't decide which one to get.

Here are some of my requirements :-
Not to be that person, but I feel like I have two more cars that I'd seriously consider if I were to be shopping in that price bracket. One of the two (or two of the three) would be the Audi Q8, or waiting till the new Q7 arrives at our shores. I really enjoy Audi's clean and timeless(ish) design language, they age really well. I really like their minimalist, flat, expansive approach to their interiors as well. Presence may be an issue compared to say an X5, X7, or a GLE, but the Q8 in particular is a rarer car so it will definitely stand out.

My other option would be the Range Rover Sport. Personally, the Velar would be my top pick, but the Sport has the much better presence of the two and has the roomier back bench. Seeing that the Defender and the Velar are on your list, I'm guessing you aren't particularly fazed by JLR's reliability, so do consider the Sport as well. While we're considering JLR, how about the Jaguar F Pace as a wild card entry? Both of these cars however aren't of new-ish generations though, sadly.

Last edited by manson : 22nd September 2021 at 14:35. Reason: Typo.
sunnysideup_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:11   #22
BHPian

a pre-owned Land Cruiser?
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:29   #23
BHPian

I can't give advice to you owing to my limited experience but if I were in your place, at the lower end of the specified budget, I would buy volvo xc60. It has got air suspension, massage seats, an incredibly good music system and of course ADAS. It is decently good looking, well built and decently powerful.

At the higher end of the budget, I will buy GLE 400d. Power and torque figures are very impressive and rear seat comfort is also great.

Although, I would not buy them, some cars that will be under consideration are F-pace facelift(interior is now very premium and welcoming), xc90( great car but deserves a 6 cylinder), velar(brand image and killer looks).
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:50   #24
BHPian

Would you be able to consider the more compact Macan 2021? or the Cayenne which is slightly upwards from your given budget, maybe in diwali or by year end your can pull off some good offers on Porsche options and if you have service centres in your city or near about.

A neighbour picked up the Velar and swears buy it, chauffeur driven at all times, a good option in this range.
TRANSAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:58   #25
BHPian

I love how the defender looks but the land rover reliability and service quality is a put off. I would recommend the BMW X5 with the 3L diesel. An absolutely beautiful vehicle which brings the word perfect to my mind. If size wasn't a constraint , I'd go for the palace (X7).
Old 22nd September 2021, 17:57   #26
BHPian

Well I do not have much buying experience in this segment but you could look at the Lexus RX450hL. I saw a couple in the flesh recently and it looks fabulous.

The rear seat comfort would be awesome considering that it is a Lexus coupled with a plush ride and would come with more creature comforts than the Germans in the back seat. It is a hybrid and I think it would be pretty efficient as all Lexus's are.
Old 22nd September 2021, 20:38   #27
BHPian

I used to own a GL350 CDI and definitely see your point about the car being too big, it really was a headache to manoeuvre such a behemoth on Indian roads.

Out of the options suggested, I would go in for either a Defender or a X5. While Defender has a more niche appeal, I feel the X5 is something that is more mainstream in terms of design and I say this in the most positive way possible.

EV SUVs have also hit the market but I would stick to the conventional fuel since your running is moderately high (around 100 kms). In my experience, I have found EVs to be perfect for city/slightly beyond City limits on a daily basis. While the EV cars are ready to take on the city and its challenges, I don't feel the EV infrastructure is yet ready to permit mainstream high EV usage.

All the best with your hunt
Old 23rd September 2021, 02:38   #28
BHPian

With 100kms a day, you have a bigger issue to worry about than the gas-mileage. Assuming you keep the car for 3 years, it will cross 100,000 kms. You need something reliable.

Land Rover, Audi and BMW are infamous for niggling maintenance issues that will take the fun out of owning a luxurious car/SUV. I may sound boring, but keep Lexus and Toyota as an option while considering a 1Cr INR car as long term prospect.

I am not very sure about the maintenance and reliability issues of Mercedes since I never owned one.

Happy Shopping!
Old 23rd September 2021, 21:33   #29

Thanks for all the replies. For now what I am going to do is checking out the Lexus RX and LR Defender Diesel but reliability will always be a concern. I know someone who has been rocking a matte black discovery for quite some time and he didn't have many issues. And if those don't work out, then will look at the Velar, X5, GLE maybe, and xc60. Will buy something in a couple of months to get a nice discount . The Defender is the choice of the heart but will have to see it anyway. For now I am dropping big cars like x7 and GLS because of family pressure and the same with EVs too. Will let you know once I visit the showrooms.
Old 23rd September 2021, 22:47   #30
BHPian

You have a great budget to work on with. I would suggest a GLC, despite the 2.0l engine as from what I have experienced, it is a really good car, one car which I found really luxurious to sit in.

Or else, if the badge is not an issue, the Velfire is easily your best choice, once again a very comfortable car coupled with Toyota reliability. It's a great car that you can buy.

Lastly, if and it is a very big if, If you are ready to take a gamble on Land Rovers, please check either the Velar or the Defender

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks