Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Stick with the Lexus ES 124 57.94%
Switch to the Audi A6 or BMW 5-Series 90 42.06%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2022, 17:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Booked the Lexus ES300h, but am unsure | Should I buy a German sedan instead? EDIT: Buying the L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh09 View Post
Is there any impact on car warranty if I swap out OE tyres on day-1, and switch to new ones? I'll check with the SA as well and report back.
The sales/service reps will say that it will impact and negate your warranty. But just ask them to give that in writing, and watch them back off.

If they persist, and sing praises about RFTs and how it's humankind's best invention since fire was discovered, simply ask why ///M cars don't come with RFTs. Again, you will not get a cogent, coherent response to this. That says it all.

Just build a good rapport with your service guys, and they will help you with navigating this nonsense if and when the time comes. Switching out RFTs to tubeless won't negate your warranty. Plenty do it.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 24th August 2022 at 17:28.
iliketurtles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 03:09   #47

Re: Booked the Lexus ES300h, but am unsure | Should I buy a German sedan instead? EDIT: Buying the L

Hi folks - I took the plunge today, and went ahead with booking the 630i GT M Sport in Tanzanite Blue. Will finalise the lease details, BSI/BRI, and insurance plan over next few days (it’s company lease facilitated by my employer).

Eagerly looking forward to the delivery.

One thing though - which are the best set of tire brands to go for (assuming I stick with RFTs). The SA mentioned they could offer any - Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone or Apollo!
Saurabh09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 12:52   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Test driven all the choices. Booked the Lexus even with the high price tag. Concerned about reliability/maintenance and plans to keep the vehicle for 7-9 years. Would say go for the Lexus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaahan View Post
Hearty congratulations and thank you for sharing!
Err.. I should have worded it better.

I meant 'you' have test driven all choices. You have booked even with high price tag and are concerned about reliability/maintenance and keeps the car for 7-9 years.

'I' would say go for the Lexus.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 29th August 2022, 00:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks - I took the plunge today, and went ahead with booking the 630i GT M Sport in Tanzanite Blue. Will finalise the lease details, BSI/BRI, and insurance plan over next few days (it’s company lease facilitated by my employer).

Eagerly looking forward to the delivery.

One thing though - which are the best set of tire brands to go for (assuming I stick with RFTs). The SA mentioned they could offer any - Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone or Apollo!
Congrats, you’ll be very happy with it.

If the dealership can get you Michelin’s, that would be brilliant. A few guys on here (such as Dr. AD, if my memory serves me right) have been full of praise for it. So that should be your preference, IMO.

Previously, I’ve heard some quibbles about Bridgestone RFTs, so would avoid them, especially if Michelin’s are an option. Don’t know enough about Pirelli and Apollo RFTs to comment about them, so I’ll simply say…vive la France. Go Michelin.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:13   #50

Hi folks - we went ahead and brought home the 630i in Carbon Black shade yesterday.

Thanks for your inputs during the decision making process, esp. shout out to iliketurtles for all the guidance.

One more question from my side - what fuel do you use for your beemers?
Saurabh09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:18   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congratulations.

You should use XP95 from any IOC bunk.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:29   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Congratulations.

You should use XP95 from any IOC bunk.
Thank you Turbanator. Any recommendations for good IOCL COCO pumps in Golf Course / Golf-Course Extension area in Gurgaon?

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd October 2022 at 10:41. Reason: GCX- GC-Extension
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:44   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any recommendations for good IOCL COCO pumps in Golf Course / Golf-Course Extension area in Gurgaon?
I usually go to the one near to Guru Dronacharya metro. It's a big setup with Cafe-Day outlet too. On the extension road, there is a new IOC pump too but the last time I want, they only had XP100. Must have added XP95 by now.
Old 2nd October 2022, 11:01   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like Turbanator correctly said, stick to XP95. It will keep the car far happier. You can do regular fuel as well, but you will feel the difference with a tankful of 95 coursing through the car’s veins.

XP95 has been a godsend for petrol cars that need higher octane, it saves so much money compared to regular tank-ups of Speed 97. The price difference between the two is not worth it IMO for city driving. 97 is definitely a nice-to-have for high speed highway runs, but 95 does the job nicely there too.
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 19:37   #55

Dear all, i enjoyed reading this thread. I am in a similar dilemma - the toss up is between the Lexus ES 300h that I just test drove versus the Audi A6. I am impressed by the Lexus, it sheer looks and the comfort of the cabin and the drive quality. I am more keen on luxury and not interesting in the sporting car variety. I currently own a Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT and a WagonR (I am not planning to sell either of them). I am looking for a Sedan and would be happy to receive advise on the selection. From the thread I understand that Lexus is a great buy but I am concerned about their skeletal presence in India besides the Camry comparison. I live in Chennai and the on-road price for the Lexus IS 79 lakhs (dont know if they will offer any discount on that price) and the Audi A6 is about 85 lakhs. The Hybrid capability of the Lexus is quite impressive and I think from an environmental perspective may be a positive.
Look forward to guidance from Team-BHPians. Thank you all in advance.
crsvasan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 18:31   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsvasan View Post
Dear all, i enjoyed reading this thread. I am in a similar dilemma - the toss up is between the Lexus ES 300h that I just test drove versus the Audi A6. I am impressed by the Lexus, it sheer looks and the comfort of the cabin and the drive quality. I am more keen on luxury and not interesting in the sporting car variety. I currently own a Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT and a WagonR (I am not planning to sell either of them). I am looking for a Sedan and would be happy to receive advise on the selection. From the thread I understand that Lexus is a great buy but I am concerned about their skeletal presence in India besides the Camry comparison. I live in Chennai and the on-road price for the Lexus IS 79 lakhs (dont know if they will offer any discount on that price) and the Audi A6 is about 85 lakhs. The Hybrid capability of the Lexus is quite impressive and I think from an environmental perspective may be a positive.
Look forward to guidance from Team-BHPians. Thank you all in advance.
My views are biased in favour of the ES300h. A link to my review below. Hope it is of use to you in your analysis. Back seat comfort, good NVH, reliability, reliability, reliability, great A.S.S. at least in Delhi-NCR and looks that cause extreme reactions :-) . I don't know enough of the latest A6 but in my selection 5+ years ago I'd rejected the A6 as my wife {for whom the Lexus is for} felt the A6 was too common on Delhi's roads. I suspect the ES's back seat comfort is better than that of the A6. Now the ES300h does not bring with it bragging rights as many of the neighbours may not realize it is a luxury sedan. That could be a liability or an asset depending on your perspective. Lexus are not likely to offer a discount. Best of luck with your decision.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ms-update.html
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 18:42   #57

Thank you sir for your note. In the interim I test drove the Toyota Camry Hybrid and it seems to be the same as Lexus and there is a 25 lakh rupee difference between the two. Ofcourse, Lexus styling and the looks are great but paying that premium for just that my rational thinking brain is questioning big time! In a state of flux!
crsvasan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 16:15   #58
BHPian

Hi all,

Wanted to bring this thread back to life; as a close friend is going through this very dilemma of Lexus vs Mercedes vs other brands. He's been asking me for advice, so I thought I'd post here.

The Mercedes E-Class LWB comes out to about 96L while the Lexus is a good 15L cheaper. Money saving however, is not a top priority here. Friend just wants a car that will make him feel happy when he sits inside it (which I have interpreted as any badge car with great interiors).

This is a vehicle that will be chauffeur-driven 98% of the time. Rear-seat luxury is the priority. Average height of his family members is around 5'7". I believe they would be comfortable even without the extended wheel base of the Mercedes, but extra legroom is always nice.

The vehicle will be retained till it starts giving expensive problems and maintenance headaches. Lexus reliability is nice, but not a priority, as my friend anyways likes replacing cars every 6-7 years (to have the latest model). If the Lexus proves to be extremely trouble free, he may keep it as a second luxury car, but a new badge car will regardless be purchased after 6-7 years.

Considering it will be a chauffeur driven vehicle, BMW does not seem to make sense.

Audi he is not keen on as they are petrol-only and would give poor fuel economy (running is not super high, but there is a mental block against cars which give less than 8 kmpl).

Jaguar A.S.S. I have heard is not great. Volvo looks like it may be a good option.

So what car should we close in on?

The tough choice is between the Lexus ES300h and the Mercedes W213 E-Class LWB? Both are comfort-oriented and have lovely interiors. And should Volvo be added to the list?
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 16:35   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
So what car should we close in on?

The tough choice is between the Lexus ES300h and the Mercedes W213 E-Class LWB? Both are comfort-oriented and have lovely interiors. And should Volvo be added to the list?
Hello kadanaJ!

My humble suggestion would be to wait a bit. Both the E-Class and the ES are older models. The new GLC is round the corner, why don't you suggest a look at that. Sure it wont have the largest back seat but it should be comparable to the ES.

If your friend is willing to overlook the age of the models, I'd say go for the E-Class only due to the extended wheelbase.

Happy shopping, do let us know what your friend ends up with!
hungrybarbarian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 16:50   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Hi all,

Wanted to bring this thread back to life; as a close friend is going through this very dilemma of Lexus vs Mercedes vs other brands. He's been asking me for advice, so I thought I'd post here.

The Mercedes E-Class LWB comes out to about 96L while the Lexus is a good 15L cheaper. Money saving however, is not a top priority here. Friend just wants a car that will make him feel happy when he sits inside it (which I have interpreted as any badge car with great interiors).

This is a vehicle that will be chauffeur-driven 98% of the time. Rear-seat luxury is the priority. Average height of his family members is around 5'7". I believe they would be comfortable even without the extended wheel base of the Mercedes, but extra legroom is always nice.

The vehicle will be retained till it starts giving expensive problems and maintenance headaches. Lexus reliability is nice, but not a priority, as my friend anyways likes replacing cars every 6-7 years (to have the latest model). If the Lexus proves to be extremely trouble free, he may keep it as a second luxury car, but a new badge car will regardless be purchased after 6-7 years.

As stated earlier in this thread I have been in exactly this spot twice. And once selected Volvo and the other occasion selected Lexus.

My scoring of the 3 cars E-LWB, ES300h, Volvo XC90 would be as follows:
Attached Thumbnails
Booked the Lexus ES300h, but am unsure | Should I buy a German sedan instead? EDIT: Buying the Lexus-screenshot-134.png  

V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed