Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2021, 13:26   #1
BHPian

Buying a used Audi Q5

I am considering buying a used Audi Q5 for a quoted price of around 16 lakh, late 2013 top-end model, 3.0 TDi, white color, pristine condition - and a low Crrr-Crrr sound heard just once or twice if you are outside and near the engine.

Car has been serviced at Audi service centre throughout, invoices are available, 19 inch Pirellis, sunroof, 46k kms driven, first owner.

Apparently this was an imported car and had cost 70 lakh. In 8 years, it has come down to 16 lakh.

Is it VFM to buy used luxury cars? How much can I expect to pay in routine maintenance of this car - how much for brake pads, timing belts, and less expensive things - and how much for serious overhaul?

Compared to a new Audi Q5 - which I am never going to buy - how different will be the driving and ownership experience of this used Q5?
MrSDey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying a used Audi Q5

My mechanic advised me to stay away from Q5. Q3 is what he recommended. The above model is 8 years old. While from 70L, 16L seems a steal, from my perspective you are buying a white elephant. These cars depreciate faster than a Ford. The upkeep may not be high except for that dreaded gearbox.

If you have a budget of 20L(16+4) ready to spend for a serious overhaul, start searching for Q3's unless you need a slightly bigger car. My mechanic is JP (germantech in Chennai) and he earlier worked in VW, Audi, and Lamborgini. According to him from his experience in these service centres, the Q3 is definitely a better buy than Q5 for reliability. I am not going to investigate that with him and I trust his judgement in these things.

You will not have a drastic change in driving experience between these two cars. In fact, Q3 may be more fun to drive and that Quattro is very powerful.
VW2010 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 16:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying a used Audi Q5

Having scoured the second-hand market for alternatives to a new S-Cross, vehicles that have easy ingress/egress, are practical and well built as this would be for my parents, I discovered that a used BMW X1 poses serious value in the "luxury suv" segment Perhaps people mocked the looks too much of the 1st gen car (myself included) but the dynamic capability upgrade over a fat Audi, more than makes up for it IMO. Also a Yeti might be the more practical used VAG diesel suv/crossover option.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 11th October 2021 at 16:24.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 12:30   #4
BHPian

Re: Buying a used Audi Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The upkeep may not be high except for that dreaded gearbox.
Can you elaborate on this? The gearbox needs to be properly maintained, I know that; but I don't have news of any major problem with the 1st generation Audi gearbox that needed a general recall or anything. The tiptronic does need proper servicing, but the car I am planning to buy has regular ASS service done, with papers to show. Is there anything I need to know, specifically?
Old 14th October 2021, 13:26   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDey View Post
I am considering buying a used Audi Q5 for a quoted price of around 16 lakh, late 2013 top-end model, 3.0 TDi, white color, pristine condition - and a low Crrr-Crrr sound heard just once or twice if you are outside and near the engine.

Apparently this was an imported car and had cost 70 lakh. In 8 years, it has come down to 16 lakh.

Is it VFM to buy used luxury cars? How much can I expect to pay in routine maintenance of this car - how much for brake pads, timing belts, and less expensive things - and how much for serious overhaul?

Compared to a new Audi Q5 - which I am never going to buy - how different will be the driving and ownership experience of this used Q5?
Luxury Car Depreciation is like that unfortunately, more so since this is a discontinued model, which didn't really set sales charts on fire.

Firstly, make sure this is a 3.0 TDI, and not a 30TDi. IIRC around this time (2013/2014) Audi went in and changed the naming of their engine specs with some calculation around the G force.
So while the 3.0 TDi is a nice 6 cylinder which will plaster a smile on your face even compared to the new Q5 (2.0 TSi / 2.0 TDi only), the 30TDi is a 2.0 TDi which is just about adequate - heck, I'd advise you to buy a low run Tiguan TDi by stretching your budget over the 30 TDi.

Coming to the Q5: The Crr Crr noise could be a belt on it's way out, and around this time some rubber components and the like need to be worked on. I would peg maintenance to be in the range of Rs. 1L - 2L a year as over time suspension, etc. would need to be changed.
The Tyres themselves will cost over Rs. 1L for a set given they are 19".

IIRC the Q5 is a fairly simple car, without much complicated kit. If it hasn't needed much work in terms of repairs, it should continue serving you reliably but will need some serious downtime in getting spares (upto 1 month) & will require wear and tear related work.
I wouldn't recommend such a car as the only car in the household, and if you're tight on maintenance.

Compared to the new Q5 : the new Q5 has nicer interiors, is a little more engaging to drive, and looks miles better. However, if this is a 3.0TDi - this car will easily beat the new Q5 & peers in terms of performance and if in good nick will be 90% of the driving experience.

However, I would also urge you to look for lower run Tiguans as well if you are ambivalent about performance. It's going to be newer (and hopefully under warranty), comes with similar equipment, arguably nicer interiors (design v/s quality), similar space, etc. You may have to pay upwards of Rs. 20L for a good example, but you will make up for it long-term when it comes to maintenance.
lamborghini is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 15:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Firstly, make sure this is a 3.0 TDI, and not a 30TDi.
This looks like the V6, unless the seller is smart enough to etch V6 on his engine.

Buying a used Audi Q5-whatsapp-image-20211010-14.31.50.jpeg

Buying a used Audi Q5-whatsapp-image-20211014-14.27.56.jpeg

NOTE - Just checked, the RC says 4 cylinders and cubic capacity 1964. I am a little confused now.

Name:  Screenshot 20211014 at 3.00.55 PM.png
Views: 2210
Size:  76.2 KB

Quote:
The Crr Crr noise could be a belt on it's way out, .maintenance to be in the range of Rs. 1L - 2L a year...I wouldn't recommend such a car as the only car in the household, and if you're tight on maintenance.
My heavy duty car is a Pajero, and I also have a lower end EV, so this car is just for fun - for the next 7 years. I am okay changing what needs to be changed - if it is the 3 ltr V6.

Quote:
However, if this is a 3.0TDi - this car will easily beat the new Q5 & peers in terms of performance and if in good nick will be 90% of the driving experience.
I will make sure it is the 3 ltr V6. I don't want a VW. Only Audi or BMW.
MrSDey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 16:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This looks like the V6, unless the seller is smart enough to etch V6 on his engine.
NOTE - Just checked, the RC says 4 cylinders and cubic capacity 1964. I am a little confused now.

My heavy duty car is a Pajero, and I also have a lower end EV, so this car is just for fun - for the next 7 years. I am okay changing what needs to be changed - if it is the 3 ltr V6.

I will make sure it is the 3 ltr V6. I don't want a VW. Only Audi or BMW.
Check the VIN Number : there are some VIN Decoders online that would tell you the specs and features of the vehicle, or better yet - ask Audi Service Center for the vehicle details during a Pre-purchase inspection.

Generally I would stick with the RC Information / Invoice information as the model has been around before, and was not a new launch for them to mess up the details.
Though there are cases where they are wrong : our A6 2.0 TDi was shown as a 2.7 TDi (an engine option not offered on that generation of the A6), but since it was probably one of the first few units sold - the information may not have been updated on the RTOs end.

As a fun car, this ticks all the boxes : performance, mature ride and handling, with Quattro. However if you are able to find a similar X3, or even better : 530D they could be worth checking out as options too with better steering feel and nicer interiors than the Q5.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 15:48   #8
VSD
BHPian

Quote:

This gen never got a 3.0 V6 tdi, last V6 diesel plonked in the Q5 was August 2012. This has to be 2.0 diesel motor with about 215 hp.
I had been using 2012 Q5 until Feb and covered about 1.75L kms with it. I didn't face many issues in the initial 7 years, even with the gearbox (surprisingly). Though 2019 onwards, it did have regular visits with parts giving up on me and every service or part change would always be 5 figures.
While it's understandable for a high mileage car but still dealing with the A.S.S. and having the car off the road for a week or so just wasn't worth it.

Regular service parts don't cost too much, specially if changed at a good FNG. Pads etc would be around 7-8k range, oil changes around 12-15k, belts and kits would run anywhere around 30k depending on what all needs to be changed.

Sold the car specially due to 10 year diesel ban but I think every 7+ year old car would need more care, so make a decision keeping this in mind. Even if it may be less driven, the rubber seals, hoses, connection pipes or suspension parts will give up in 7 odd years and would need changing.
VSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 22:58   #9
BHPian

Looking at the exhaust and being an Audi Q5 owner, I can tell it's a 30 TDI, not 6 cylinder 3.0 TDI. Actually, Audi offered 3.0TDI only for first generation of Q5 (8R) and discontinued after facelift (which this Audi in pic is).

It is not a steal at this price. I will try to put my thoughts into this in another post.

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 19th October 2021 at 23:00.
Old 20th October 2021, 00:37   #10
BHPian

I drive a 2013 model Q3(2.0 TDI) and can provide some insights on the maintenance and engine and you could extrapolate that for a Q5.
Engine and drive:
Sparsely run(57k kms) but the 2.0 TDI motor has enough power to plaster a smile on your face. Highway drives are a breeze and the car is very stable on highways and high speed manners are great. Almost instant touque and you may feel the steering to be over assisted but very smooth.
Maintenance:
Servicing at Audi authorize service station would cost ~ 50K. You need to check for these - Tyre change, Sensor replacement(replaced sensors recently), bush change, suspension(it depends). Gearbox - Regular servicing and sticking to the 60k gearbox oil change would help was what I was told by the servicing folks.
Old 20th October 2021, 09:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Check the VIN Number : there are some VIN Decoders online that would tell you the specs and features of the vehicle, or better yet - ask Audi Service Center for the vehicle details during a Pre-purchase inspection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
This gen never got a 3.0 V6 tdi, last V6 diesel plonked in the Q5 was August 2012. This has to be 2.0 diesel motor with about 215 hp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
Looking at the exhaust and being an Audi Q5 owner, I can tell it's a 30 TDI, not 6 cylinder 3.0 TDI. Actually, Audi offered 3.0TDI only for first generation of Q5 (8R) and discontinued after facelift (which this Audi in pic is).
Guys its a 3.0tdi alright! While people may switch the badges on the back, I doubt anyone would do it on the engine cover. That engine is too big to be a 2.0. Also there were a couple of 3.0tdis with the facelift Q5 of that model, and they came with that offroad kind of kit which this car has. So I have no doubts its a 3.0tdi.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 10:51   #12
BHPian

While the price and product looks exciting, I'd advise you to tread with extreme caution as those dealers try to scam. I personally experienced one with Audi and described at https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ce-needed.html (Buying a used Audi Q3 | Advice needed)
In my case, although the car looked to have 1 owner, actually it wasn't as RC was not transferred by 2nd owner. Apparently, the (2nd or 3rd) car owners, used car dealers, authorized dealers are hand-in-glove in this. I trusted the car to be clean as it was coming from the dealership, but certainly that was not the case.
I reiterate, do your due diligence, check all paperwork, try to talk to previous owner, check all service records pulled from another dealership. Not everyone is a scammer, but it is always good to verify and have peace of mind rather than finding those after the deal. Good Luck !
Old 20th October 2021, 13:46   #13
BHPian

I just got a used f25 x3 3.0d. It is great if this is indeed the 3.0 tdi, go for it.

The price is a little high I got my 2014 reg x3 with a little more miles that this q5 for ~13 lakh in Delhi. Even that was mint and all I have needed to do was change a front strut and full service. Including the gearbox oil and filter.

The 3.0 diesels are monsters. They chug till 200 plus easy. The n57 in the x3 is single turbo so bit slow down low but post 1500 rpm it just flies. Pulls like a train 560nm of torque and the quick gearbox and bmw handling all adds.

Go for it man these cars are rare and plus all wheel drive and the ground clearance. It'll be a conformable car that can get you to far places quickly. Really quickly.

Wish you all the happy miles.
Thegermanbadger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 18:54   #14
BHPian

If it is 13L for KA registration for the 3.0 TDI (which it looks like, I agree with Akshay), then it is a good deal.
Keep aside 3L for maintenance. If you don't end spending that much, you are lucky.
It's not that expensive to maintain as long as you don't take it to dealership.
Battery will be 17k, brake pads you can get imported yourself, with rotors may be if needed (though doubtful you will need rotor replacement). Check the suspension and get an estimate how long it is expected to last.
Other than that, It may not cost you bomb unless some injectors etc go bad or the DPF ( I have a petrol Q5 so can't tell much).

At 245HP, the pull is monstrous but that may also lead to frustration in BLR at times.
Other thing to keep in mind is RC validity if it is NCR registered car (10 years).
All the best!
Rest of the running costs, while higher than an average car, will not break your back. Worth trying!
OffRoadFun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 04:56   #15
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Guys its a 3.0tdi alright! While people may switch the badges on the back, I doubt anyone would do it on the engine cover. That engine is too big to be a 2.0. Also there were a couple of 3.0tdis with the facelift Q5 of that model, and they came with that offroad kind of kit which this car has. So I have no doubts its a 3.0tdi.
I am pretty sure there weren't a single 3.0 V6 tdi motor in the Q5 after mid 2012 facelift. I picked up the last remaining pre-facelift Q5 as well as three facelift ones from Audi Delhi in a group buy, so i'm pretty sure they didn't have V6 TDI as that's the one I wanted in first place.

I agree that no one would bother changing badges on the engine cover but there is very high possibility of dealer/seller sharing pic of another car altogether (Yes, a lot of dealers are really stupid or think you the buyer might be).

Also, the badging on the back clearly says 30TDI and no owner would ever swap out 3.0 badging for 30TDI either, which was for the 2.0 spec. V6 diesel cars would carry 45TDI badge.
VSD is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks