Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What should I get?
New BMW 330Li M-Sport 84 51.85%
Pre-owned BMW 630d / 530d M-Sport 78 48.15%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2021, 12:26   #31

Re: New BMW 330Li M-Sport vs Pre-owned BMW 630d / 530d M-Sport for a family of four

As you rightly pointed out, the build quality of 5 series is a notch above. It is a car from a segment higher.

However, the GL comes with the same engine as 530i and better legroom at the backseat. So essentially 530i did not feel like a massive upgrade over the GL. Even with the premium pricing of the GL, it is still ~ 10 lac cheaper than the 530i.

The real fun starts at 530d. I did not want to take a car loan, hence settled for the GL

Last edited by Axe77 : 24th February 2022 at 04:51. Reason: Fixing minor typo.
Old 17th November 2021, 20:47   #32
BHPian

Re: New BMW 330Li M-Sport vs Pre-owned BMW 630d / 530d M-Sport for a family of four

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivnitrel View Post
Update:
So finally the dream of owning a BMW gets fulfilled. Booked the new 330 Li M Sport with 5 year warranty and 3 year 40k BSI
Congratulations Viv, very happy to hear you've made your dreams come true! We wish you many miles of safe and JOY filled motoring

Last edited by Axe77 : 24th February 2022 at 04:52. Reason: Aligning edits to quoted text.
Old 1st December 2021, 10:56   #33
BHPian

Friends, I am about to look at some used 320d and 530ds in the next couple of weeks. Most of the time, the travel will be myself, my wife and a high school kid. Rarely, with my elderly parents. Everyone is of a light featherweight build :^)

I need some advice, on the following options:

* 2013 320d, 47K kms - ~18L (KA registration) - listed on Tea-BHP classifieds; Spoke over phone. Trust factor is high.
* 2015 320d, 81K kms - ~18L (AP registration; add 3-4L for Bangalore taxes). Team-BHPian Spoke over phone. Trust factor is high.

* 2012 530d MSport, 80K kms - 2 owners - ~16.5L (DL registration; add 3-4L for Bangalore taxes). Used car dealer "Custom motor club" in Bangalore run by one Mr.Shetty - I had met him once in the past and looks like a gentleman. He is recommended by an acquaintance who recently purchased an X3 from another dealer but has tried out a few cars at Custom Motor Club too.

* 2012 530d MSport ,75K kms - 1 owner - ~19L (Surat registration add 3-4L for Bangalore taxes). BMW dealer (https://www.bmwusedcars.in/buy-used-...ies/17263.html) who says the service history is with him. The odo reading mentioned in the website is 65K kms but is incorrect. I got a video walkthrough of the vehicle and looked fine (based on whatever we could see in a slightly grainy video call).

All of those are in my budget of ~20-25L (total cost post KA taxes to be paid if any).

Mods: If there's a better place to ask this question and get useful advice, kindly direct me there. Thanks.
Old 1st December 2021, 12:02   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagarthenormal View Post
Friends, I am about to look at some used 320d and 530ds in the next couple of weeks.
All of those are in my budget of ~20-25L (total cost post KA taxes to be paid if any).
If you're open to out of state registration and re-registering in your state, I'd look at Mumbai / Pune cars as well: there are a lot of low run vehicles, and driving back from Mumbai / Pune to KA would be a great way to get to know the car.
Also, unlike down south : prices are way more reasonable - not as much as the North, but cars are often driven significantly lesser here due to these being smaller cities in terms of size.

I would also suggest stretching to 25-30 if possible to get the LCI version of the cars / other options as well:
Apart from being newer vehicles & thus more reliable and updated, they add their own improvements : F30 LCI for instance gets a revised suspension that makes it that much more fun to drive. Similarly the F10 530D later models come with the M-Kit, and the LCI adds LEDs.
If driving pleasure is not the be all and end all, at 30L you should even be able to get the current gen pre-facelift A4 TDi which is a terrific all rounder!
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 12:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need some advice, on the following options:

* 2013 320d, 47K kms - ~18L (KA registration) - listed on Tea-BHP classifieds; Spoke over phone. Trust factor is high.
* 2015 320d, 81K kms - ~18L (AP registration; add 3-4L for Bangalore taxes). Team-BHPian Spoke over phone. Trust factor is high.

* 2012 530d MSport, 80K kms - 2 owners - ~16.5L (DL registration; add 3-4L for Bangalore taxes). Used car dealer "Custom motor club" in Bangalore run by one Mr.Shetty - I had met him once in the past and looks like a gentleman. He is recommended by an acquaintance who recently purchased an X3 from another dealer but has tried out a few cars at Custom Motor Club too.

* 2012 530d MSport ,75K kms - 1 owner - ~19L (Surat registration add 3-4L for Bangalore taxes). BMW dealer (https://www.bmwusedcars.in/buy-used-...ies/17263.html) who says the service history is with him. The odo reading mentioned in the website is 65K kms but is incorrect. I got a video walkthrough of the vehicle and looked fine (based on whatever we could see in a slightly grainy video call).

Mods: If there's a better place to ask this question and get useful advice, kindly direct me there. Thanks.
With a Budget like that and being open to outstation cars, why don't you look for options in NCR, you will definitely find a clean car with lesser kms for that money due to 10 year Rule. Just for example a Friend picked up a 2013 Luxury Line 320D with 26K kms on odometer for 13L.
Old 1st December 2021, 12:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If you're open to out of state registration and re-registering in your state, I'd look at Mumbai / Pune cars as well
Thanks for that insight.
  • Mumbai - I do not know anyone there who can go and take an initial look / TD of the car, before I can go and try it out myself. Also, given Mumbai's flooding incidents, I am a bit wary of used cars from there.
Quote:
I would also suggest stretching to 25-30 if possible to get the LCI version of the cars / other options as well
I guess these LCIs would be something from post 2017? I just do not know where to look for these. BMW official used cars website doesn't list many in that range. Am very open to any recommendations from the community.

Quote:
If driving pleasure is not the be all and end all, at 30L you should even be able to get the current gen pre-facelift A4 TDi which is a terrific all rounder!
The A4 & A6 look very good indeed. Just that, I've been heavily brainwashed by many Team-BHP forums of BMW enthusiasts who say that if one has to buy a German, it has to be a BMW! (About 20yrs back I had been to the BMW museum in München and still carry fond aspirational memories; so there's that heart's connection to consider too)

I will keep looking anyway, on the lines of what you've said. But do I take it that all the 4 options I mentioned are unwise? Or are those just sub-optimal choices, say because of ~75K-1L INR maintenance budgets per year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Just for example a Friend picked up a 2013 Luxury Line 320D with 26K kms on odometer for 13L.
That's a really nice pick. Do you / your friend know of any reliable places / people I can reach out to? Especially for a 530d MSport < 50K kms on the odo.

Aside: does 26K kms for a 2013 car look a bit too less run, at just ~3kms per year? Or should the last couple of corona years be discounted to say that an average of ~4K per year is okay?

Last edited by manson : 18th December 2021 at 15:34.
Old 1st December 2021, 13:50   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that insight.
  • Mumbai - I do not know anyone there who can go and take an initial look / TD of the car, before I can go and try it out myself. Also, given Mumbai's flooding incidents, I am a bit wary of used cars from there.

The A4 & A6 look very good indeed. Just that, I've been heavily brainwashed by many Team-BHP forums of BMW enthusiasts who say that if one has to buy a German, it has to be a BMW!

I will keep looking anyway, on the lines of what you've said. But do I take it that all the 4 options I mentioned are unwise? Or are those just sub-optimal choices, say because of ~75K-1L INR maintenance budgets per year?
Each of the Luxury marques bring something different to the table.
Generally Mercedes (newer gen) have the nicest interior ambience, but are low on features + higher maintenance costs + average ride / handling.
BMW is more sorted in that regard but let down by dated interiors.
Audi generally has quality interiors, and well balanced ride and handling though neither appealing to the performance enthusiasts or the brand conscious segment - though they are excellent all rounders.

There is an A4 with the Audi Pre-owned cars division asking a steep 30L, but I am sure this can be easily negotiated down to something much more palatable given the new 2021 facelift A4 was sold at 39L OTR post discounts. If you can snag this with warranty at 22-23L it could be worth considering.

Generally used car dealers keep a high margin, and the margin is even more so in case of authorized dealers.

The LCI models are easily recognizable by exterior differences in headlights and tail lights (in case of F30).

Regarding maintenance, my rule of thumb for Audi & BMW:
0-3 years: Average 50K/year maintenance (because consumables like brake pads, etc.)
4-6 years: Average 70K-1L maintenance (brake discs, tyres, maybe some interior trim such as the F30's notorious sticky door handles).
6-10 Years: Average 1.5L maintenance as you would see mounts, suspension, etc. also going in for wear and tear replacement.

Our pre-owned F30 328i has been much lower in this regard, but then again it's better to be safe than sorry in budgeting.

In Mumbai flooding has been an issue : it would be recommended to check insurance & service history + have a check up at the authorized service center before purchase.

Also, at your budget you can consider new options such as the Octavia. I would give it a test drive at least so you do have a benchmark to compare the pre-owned Germans against : it's quick, with modern interiors, and has mature ride and handling.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 14:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a really nice pick. Do you / your friend know of any reliable places / people I can reach out to? Especially for a 530d MSport < 50K kms on the odo.

Aside: does 26K kms for a 2013 car look a bit too less run, at just ~3kms per year? Or should the last couple of corona years be discounted to say that an average of ~4K per year is okay?
I don't know anyone personally, but there a few premium car dealers on Olx and Insta. Getting hold of these cars from owners straight up is quite a task.
Low usage, as long as it's supported with records is fine.
Old 1st December 2021, 15:06   #39
BHPian

Thank you lamborghini & akshay4587.
New Octavia and Superb are quite attractive indeed. Choices, Choices, Choices!
Old 12th December 2021, 04:13   #40

Pictures of my car New BMW 330Li M-Sport vs Pre-owned BMW 630d / 530d M-Sport for a family of four-3bd9f0cc29a9452091ea4c64e5524288.jpeg

New BMW 330Li M-Sport vs Pre-owned BMW 630d / 530d M-Sport for a family of four-2d1354b16bc5405587e210f9382e262d.jpeg

New BMW 330Li M-Sport vs Pre-owned BMW 630d / 530d M-Sport for a family of four-8f52a2aed95540a3b1e353c17a908f73.jpeg
vivnitrel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 10:31   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivnitrel View Post
Super! Is this Portimao, Phytonic or Mediterranean Blue
Old 16th January 2022, 00:38   #42
BHPian

Viv, Thanks for sharing, the car is a beauty!

Can someone please confirm something I have noticed that the Portimao Blue is available only in Mocha interiors, or at least from the stock I have seen in the BMW shop site.

Does that mean we can't customize the interior? or

Does it mean that Mocha is what's available and if you want any other color (Beige, Tan) it must be ordered separately?

Any insight would be very much appreciated!

Thank you
Old 23rd January 2022, 01:11   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWings View Post
Viv, Thanks for sharing, the car is a beauty!

Can someone please confirm something I have noticed that the Portimao Blue is available only in Mocha interiors, or at least from the stock I have seen in the BMW shop site.

Does that mean we can't customize the interior? or

Does it mean that Mocha is what's available and if you want any other color (Beige, Tan) it must be ordered separately?

Any insight would be very much appreciated!

Thank you
Unfortunately, we can not customize or choose an interior color of our own in BMW India. It's like we either need to compromise on the exterior or the interior color option.
GokuTorqueRider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks