View Poll Results: What should I get?
New BMW 330Li M-Sport 84 51.85%
Pre-owned BMW 630d / 530d M-Sport 78 48.15%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2021, 00:07   #1

New BMW 330Li M-Sport vs Pre-owned BMW 630d / 530d M-Sport for a family of four

Hi Bhpians,

I need your help in finalising this purchase. I have been planning this for more than 8 years now. I went as far as paying the booking amount on two occasions : Once to a used car dealer for Merc C Class in 2015 and the other time to Audi Gurugram for a new Q3, but cancelled on both the occasions. Basically, I was never able to 'justify' to myself the maths behind purchasing a German car.

Finally, I going to make it happen during this Diwali. I have decided to listen to my heart and not to deprive myself on this long-held dream.

Here's some more context, so that you can advise accordingly:

ABOUT ME
- Male, turned 37 this week
- Come from a very humble middle-class background. Started my career in 2008 at an Annual CTC of 4.5 Lacs per annum (have been following Teambhp since then) and have worked hard to now reach a COO position in a Unicorn Internet startup (now earn ~ 50X of where I started in 2008)
- Now, as some of you would ask, the reason I deferred this purchase for sooo long? I re-paid a 20 lac education loan, a 2 Cr home Home loan, and also supported my family once I earned some money (my family had gone all-in with whatever limited resources they had to fund my education, and every single member had made compromises because of me). Honestly, I could have 'afforded' it a while back as well, but it never appeared a priority

WHICH OTHER CARS DO I HAVE

Currently, I have two cars:
- A company Innova Crysta, which a company provided chauffer. This will be used for daily commute to work
- A Ford Figo Titanium AT Petrol (1.4 L), 2016 model which has done 29k kms till date.

(Honestly, I dont 'NEED' a car, because this new german car cannot replace any of these two cars)

The Other Cars that I have owned in the Past:
- Tata Indigo CS (Manual, Petrol), bought this second hand in 2013 as my first car at Rs. 1.5 lacs, drove it for 20k kms in 2 years, and then sold
- A Honda Accord 2.4 IV-Tech 9th generation, 2009 model, bought this second hand in 2015, drove it for 20k kms in 5 years then sold it last year. Loved this car every single-day

WHO WILL USE IT AND HOW OFTEN?

- We are a family of four : My wife, my 2.5 year old daughter, and my 70 year old mother
- The car will be used very very infrequently. In no circumstances I will even cross 5,000 kms / year (as the company-owned, chauffer-driven Innova will do the duty)
- The car will primarily we a car for those occasional weekend trips with family. Innova can do that, so honestly this car is just to satisfy the itch

CRITERIA

- Family-friendly : Initially, I was planning to go crazy and buy a 'fun car' like Pre-Owned Ford Mustang or Porsche Macan (as I can take the Innova on weekend trips). After giving it much thought, I have decided that I want to enjoy this purchase with my family. Hence 2-door coupes and unpractical cars are out

- Fun to drive : though this will be driven very very less, I will be the one driving it most of the time on those occasional weekend trips to coorg / ooty / kabini etc. I enjoy driving a lot. (though now I don't get the time for it)

- Backseat comfort : The backseat should be comfortable, should be easy to get-in and get-out (specially for my ageing mother). Seats should be supportive . My family used to love the Honda Accord in this department

- Badge : As I said, I don't 'need' a new car. So it has to be a German. I know I may get better cars like Superb or Camry at lesser price, but that's not consideration. In fact, it has to be either a BMW, Merc or a Porsche.

- Looks : To me looks matter!

- Maintenance : Maintenance Costs do not matter to me till (a reasonable level). However, I have no patience and time to invest in maintaining a car (the driver can do it though, but lesser number of trips to showroom are better)

- Duration for which I would retain this car : at least 8-10 years

- Ground clearance : Preferable, but not an absolute must. Should be able to scrape through 95% bad roads and humps without a fuss and city water logging etc. However, I am never going to take it even for mild off-roading I think. The Honda Accord never gave me major issues

- Ride Comfort : Big preference (for my family)

- Features : Big preference. As my daughter grows-up, she should enjoy fancy techs and features in the cabin

- New car smell : Obviously preferred, but both my previous cars were pre-owned so I would mind an almost new car

- Fuss free ownership - Big preference

CONSIDERATION_SET

1. BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine (330 Li Msport) - New - OTR 60 Lacs BLR .
- This checks most of the boxes.
- When is the best time to buy to get the maximum discounts in BLR? Diwali?

2. BMW 3 Series (Regular Wheelbase) - New - OTR 50 Lacs BLR.

- I haven't TDed this with the family, so not sure if the extra legroom is worth the extra money?
- Does it compromise the ride & handling to a level that an average buyer like me would notice?

3. Pre Owned BMW 630D M sport @ 55 to 60 Lacs: There is a 2018 MY and 2019 RY, Daman registered 630D. M Sport variant available at Big Boy Toyz @ 50 lacs

- Is it safe to purchase a pre-owned vehicle from BBT without physically visiting?
- New 330 Li vs Pre-Owned 630D : Is it worth moving to a pre-owned car that would cost me 60 lacs (assuming that I re-register the car in Karnataka), exactly the same as a new 330Li?
- Does the higher GC result into noticeable ease in ingress for senior citizens

4. Pre Owned Merc GLC 220d, 2020 model and 10k kms done, bangalore registered for Rs. 52 lacs

- Is the back seat comfort of this car comparable to 6 series and 3GL?
vivnitrel is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 03:27   #2
BHPian

re: New BMW 330Li M-Sport vs Pre-owned BMW 630d / 530d M-Sport for a family of four

Sir,

From the criteria that you have put forward, I feel that the BMW 3 series would satisfy you the most.
Whether to go for the regular 330i M sport (for a fun driving experience) or a 330Li (for that spacious rear seat) will be something that a TD with family would best answer.

BMW has some of the best tech in the market packed into their cars, so your daughter should not be worried!

Wherever you get your pre-owned car from, I would strongly recommend you to check out the car in person before wiring the money. A 6 series will be better in terms of space but with the launch of the facelift, it will lack the glamour that you may want after spending 60 big ones. Also buying a used car in India can be pretty scary until you know the previous owner well(due to flood/crashed cars being sold after crappy repairs).

The GLC could also be a good proposition but ingress and egress would be something you would have to check out in person.

Thanks,
D
Dwaipayan26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 06:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: New BMW 330Li M-Sport vs Pre-owned BMW 630d / 530d M-Sport for a family of four

I'd say go and check out the 630d in person and take a call whether it will meet your criteria.

The 3 series is just another car on the road. The 6 series is more of an occasion and I bet that's what you're looking for.

Congrats on your successful career!
Turbohead is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 07:21   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivnitrel View Post
I have decided to listen to my heart and not to deprive myself on this long-held dream. also supported my family once I earned some money
Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
We are a family of four : My wife, my 2.5 year old daughter, and my 70 year old mother. The car will be used very very infrequently.

1. BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine (330 Li Msport)
2. BMW 3 Series (Regular Wheelbase) - New -
3. Pre Owned BMW 630D M sport @ 55 to 60 Lacs: There is a 2018 MY and 2019 RY, Daman registered 630D. M Sport variant available at Big Boy Toyz @ 50 lacs

Ingress in the 3 Li may be slightly better but not by much. I am not sure, how often your Mother will be travelling with you guys but I am more than sure, she will always like to sit in an Innova. My mother doesn’t like anything apart from Innova. Maybe She can sit in the front for that occasional trip. Li probably gets better discounts and even more equipment but my pick will be 330i M Sports or even regular over the Li. Since this will be driven by you, the maximum enjoyment will be in the front, driving the car.

Quote:
- Is it safe to purchase a pre-owned vehicle from BBT without physically visiting?
Absolutely no, I will not at all recommend going preponed route and that too via BBT. You will never know how many times the car has been sold as they encourage people to just pay the difference and change the car every year. And, they will always have higher prices than others. At your level, I don’t think you need to save that small change and be bothered about repairs or the risks the second-hand car carries. If you must, try to find cars directly from the owners or keep looking at our forums.

Diwali time will be a good time as dealers even though speak about the shortage and everything, have some numbers to meet. They have ver high targets for this period internally and cannot risk. Also, given the overall shortages, I will not delay this to December and risk not getting my preferred colour or variant.

Good luck.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th October 2021 at 07:37.
Turbanator is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 07:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,

Do not disclose salary amounts ;-) Many of us will lose sleep - we celebrate members buying lovely cars including super cars but salary/income detail is a touchy subject.

I feel this is the perfect time in your life to buy a nice car. Like you said, you don't really need a fancy car but if you ever want to own one, this would be the best time to do it. Young parents with toddlers and parents in good heath to travel - it can not get better to travel together as a family and a fancy car would be an icing on the cake.

I would say don't bother buying a used car given your circumstances. Also don't buy 3-series or anything below 5 series - only 5-series or above can stop the itch for the next 8-10 years.

Go for a new 6 series (petrol) and keep it for 8-10 years and it will work out beautifully. Stick to BMW turbo petrols - they are as good as Porsche and proving to be very reliable with excellent service support in India.

Last edited by androdev : 17th October 2021 at 08:09.
androdev is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 11:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaipayan26 View Post
The GLC could also be a good proposition but ingress and egress would be something you would have to check out in person.
Thanks a lot for the sound advice. Maybe I don’t have the time and patience to go through the diligence that is required to buy a used German car from some other state. I will either close a new 330Li, or find a used 6 series in BLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I'd say go and check out the 630d in person and take a call whether it will meet your criteria. The 3 series is just another car on the road. The 6 series is more of an occasion and I bet that's what you're looking for. Congrats on your successful career!
This was precisely the reason for exploring the used 6 series. It is difficult to find good cars at right price in Bangalore. I am not sure about the reason, but before Bangalore I stayed in Gurgaon and Mumbai and I thought there were plenty on options there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Absolutely no, I will not at all recommend going preponed route and that too via BBT. You will never know how many times the car has been sold as they encourage people to just pay the difference and change the car every year. And, they will always have higher prices than others. At your level, I don’t think you need to save that small change and be bothered about repairs or the risks the second-hand car carries. If you must, try to find cars directly from the owners or keep looking at our forums.
This is super helpful. Thanks! This helped me in making up my mind. I am not going for the 630D at BBT without inspecting. I found one with 9th gear Koramangla in Bangalore, will have a look at it today.

Looking at the advice from forum members, I am more inclined towards a new car now.

Also going to visit BMW showroom at Whitefield today. Will keep the group posted about the best offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Hi,

I would say don't bother buying a used car given your circumstances. Also don't buy 3-series or anything below 5 series - only 5-series or above can stop the itch for the next 8-10 years.

Go for a new 6 series (petrol) and keep it for 8-10 years and it will work out beautifully. Stick to BMW turbo petrols - they are as good as Porsche and proving to be very reliable with excellent service support in India.
I thought about the 3 series Li because most Youtubers claim that legroom is better in 3 series Li compared to the 5 series, and suspension is also setup better for comfort. Is it not the case. My thought process was that even thought 330Li comes really close to 5 series in terms of pricing, what I get is inferior leg room, slightly better interior and an engine which is not dramatically better (unless I get the 530D variant). Am I missing something?

Also, if I strech my budget to 5 series level, wouldn’t X3 be a better option?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th October 2021 at 12:12. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
vivnitrel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 13:27   #7
BHPian

Congratulations on your decision on finally taking the leap. Couple of comments:

1) A 3 GL is just a 3 with a slightly extended wheelbase. The interior quality / insulation / features are all a notch below the 5/6 series, which are very close to the 7. The only reason to get a 3 is the better handling, but as you've indicated a strong preference for ride comfort, you must check out the 5 & the 6 as both of them offer adaptive suspension, which the 3 lacks. While the 5 has a very good balance of ride and handling with it's magnetic dampers, the 6 will be on another level for ride quality with its air suspension all around. Another advantage of the 6 is its adjustable ride height - a godsend for the broken roads all around. I feel that you'd be tempted to upgrade from a 3/3Li far sooner than the 8-10 year mark that you've mentioned, so it'd be best to find out if you are really satisfied with the 3/3Li or not.

2) I would not suggest SUVs unless you absolutely need them - and it seems like you don't. You'd get compromised ride and handling vs the equivalent sedans.

3) Not sure if you've considered this - but think about an option to get chauffeured around in your new car daily instead of your Innova. See if there are any options to cash out the company car benefit from your firm. One of the biggest benefits of a premium car is the supreme noise isolation that you get inside the cabin and it's very useful during the noisy city commutes. This will also ensure that you feel far better about spending the big bucks and enjoying the spoils daily!
d3mon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 19:51   #8
BHPian

Since this is going to be your 'listen to your heart' car and not a practical everyday driver, a 330i makes most sense. The 3 Li is better in the rear seat but given your family size the regular 3 should do just as well.

A wildcard entry - try out the new Mercedes GLA Diesel. You might just really like it - I'm sure the family will.
Old 17th October 2021, 20:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought about the 3 series Li because most Youtubers claim that legroom is better in 3 series Li compared to the 5 series, and suspension is also setup better for comfort. Is it not the case. My thought process was that even thought 330Li comes really close to 5 series in terms of pricing, what I get is inferior leg room, slightly better interior and an engine which is not dramatically better (unless I get the 530D variant). Am I missing something?

Also, if I strech my budget to 5 series level, wouldn’t X3 be a better option?
Don't go too much by internet reviews. What matters is how your family feels about the car. Nobody in my family is above 5'8"/65Kg so we rarely worry about space. I personally find the 5 series rear seat to be fabulous - excellent all around support and very plush overall feeling.

Just think about the big picture - you want to buy a luxury car that is fun to drive and comfortable to travel with family. It is an emotional purchase and frankly an indulgence (a.k.a waste of money). No point in trying to be too practical and value conscious - go with whatever wows your family. Your cheapest and costliest options will differ by 50K per month max if you consider 10 yr long ownership. At the risk of sounding repetitive, next 10 years would probably your best travel years with family.

Stick to a BMW turbo petrol - don't get carried away by the bells and whistles of other brands.

5 vs X3 vs 6: Just go with personal/family preference. Each car gives up something to gain something else. X3 will probably give you peace of mind over bad roads but lacks the quietness and plushness of a sedan. 6 will give you more space and wow factor but will feel a bit too long if you are a keen driver.
androdev is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 09:31   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We are a family of four : My wife, my 2.5 year old daughter, and my 70 year old mother
- The car will be used very very infrequently. In no circumstances I will even cross 5,000 kms / year (as the company-owned, chauffer-driven Innova will do the duty)
- The car will primarily we a car for those occasional weekend trips with family. Innova can do that, so honestly this car is just to satisfy the itch
Broadly, there are two important points:

- Should you buy a good new car or a great pre-owned car?

- The 3-Series @ 60 lakhs is frankly overpriced, while a 630d or 530d for similar / lesser money is well-priced.

These cars age very well. I would pick a superior 2 - 3 year old car to a brand new machine from a lower segment. And I have always put my money where my mouth is (look up my ownership reports). These cars don't age at all in 2 years and what you usually get is an "almost new" luxury car.

Go for the 630d M-Sport and also expand your search to include the 530d M-Sport. As d3mon rightly posted, the 5 & 6 Series are built to noticeably higher quality standards than a 3-Series (they are in fact close to the flagship 7-Series), these are bigger cars and most importantly, the 6-cylinder turbo-diesel will b-l-o-w you away. It is one of the best diesel engines ever made in the history of mankind. Fast, rev-happy, nice sounding and efficient on the highway (guzzler in the city @ 6 - 7 kmpl). Enjoy a 6-cylinder engine while you still can. Nothing comes close to a BMW inline-6 (other than 8-cylinders which aren't accessible in India nor practical).

Let me put it another way. 8 - 10 years from now, there will still be cars like the 330 Li M-Sport. But large diesels will be on their way out. Enjoy them while you can! Be sure to follow our used car checklist (including service history, checking past insurance claims etc.).

Happy shopping . You've worked hard, go out and indulge yourself.

Last edited by GTO : 18th October 2021 at 09:33.
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 11:56   #11
BHPian

Re: New BMW 330Li M-Sport vs Pre-owned BMW 630d / 530d M-Sport for a family of four

Voted for the new 3 series

Nothing beats a new car, avoiding all the hassles of doing a proper due diligence and enjoying the car from day 1. It's a bliss to see those first 10K kms come up.

Also there is maximum peace of mind during the warranty period which is a maximum of 6 years for BMW. Buying a 3 year old car leaves you only with a 3 year window post which the repair costs can be high. Also a 5/6 with advanced suspension requires a bit higher maintenance given the abuse they handle on our uneven roads
sid_deb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 12:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: New BMW 330Li M-Sport vs Pre-owned BMW 630d / 530d M-Sport for a family of four

Going to add to the confusion, why not continue with your choice of a Porsche Macan? Whilst I've never been in or even really close to be one. But, to me, the only thing that might be a downer might be the rear-seat comfort & space.

If you don't the Macan, you could ask BBT if they would be willing to ship it to their Hyderabad dealer. I think that provide you with a better opportunity to make a more informed decision.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 14:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

As a family car, nothing comes close to the 6GT. Not even the E Class.
The rear seats were comfortable & supportive, loads of legroom, with decent ingress & egress. In comparison the 3GL felt a little too low for my liking.
The only con with the 6GT is that maintenance would be much higher than the 3GL for parts such as the air suspension, etc.

I would also advise looking at a new A6 2.0TSi with the 245BHP engine which would be more engaging to drive due to size, while still offering good legroom and rear seat comfort.
If legroom isn't a big bother, have a look at the 530D/530i as well. I found the seats higher than the 3GL though the legroom was significantly lesser.
lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 07:01   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Having owned a 330i Sport for the last 16+ months, I'd recommend choosing between a new 330Li M Sport and the 530i top variant.

The 3 is cheaper, fresher and more spacious at the back, but the 5 is built to a different level. With your current requirement of rear seat space and easy ingress/egress, the Li works best practically speaking.

I am assuming your daughter is already used to her child seat, the size of which will grow till she is ~older and taller. The normal 330i is not the easiest to access at the back!

The 530i has the same engine albeit in a marginally lower and different tune. If I were in your position, age, family size, with the budget and a 8 year outlook, I'd go for the 530i in the highest trim. Androdev has it spot-on in his post above.

Totally avoid buying a new diesel however much they might seem attractive. The honourable Supreme Court has recently clarified that the honourable NGT enjoys complete suo moto powers. I expect more and more radical rulings as BLR's environment gets degraded over time.
https://www.livelaw.in/top-stories/s...nizance-181206

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th October 2021 at 07:28.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 09:18   #15
BHPian

I totally agree with Androdev on some aspects. Get a new 530i instead, for which you might have to extend your budget but it’s completely worth it. I find the 5 series to be one of the best cars in the world. Don’t go for a diesel as your running is super-low, especially avoid a BS-VI Diesel. Go for the petrol 530i, or if budget is a constraint, get the 330Li, you will not be disappointed. Since it’s your first luxury-car purchase, I would suggest you to go with a brand new car so that you feel special every time you look at it or sit in it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks