Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2021, 23:56   #1
BHPian

Choosing a car for a flickering mind | M340i vs S5 vs 530d vs GLC43

Hello,
This was a question I have been meaning to post for a while but it's difficult to express what you yourself don’t know, which in this case was an exact requirement for a car. At the risk of being judged as completely irrational (which to a certain extent I agree with), here I go!.

I probably don’t need one but the boredom of the lockdown last year allowed an empty brain to cook up some ideas and to some extent rationalize them on the grounds of uncertainties and fragility of life as demonstrated by Covid.

We (me and my wife) thought of buying a car which looked cool, sounded good, is fun to drive and would take us to different corners of India once WFH/Covid ends. Ideally this would also be our primary car, a Thar Convertible has already booked the slot (in our heart, haven’t actually booked it yet) for our weekend ride. Primarily, it would be just the two of us but once in a while, we may have parents or friends visiting and it would be good to be able to take them for a ride (so ruling out any two seaters).

We started with a budget of around 60L and the initial choice was the Mini Convertible. Once we checked it out in person, we realized that even though it ticked 3 of the 4 boxes, it would be difficult to use it as the primary or touring car because of the practicality aspects. The back seat is too cramped for even short rides.

With that out of consideration and no specific car in mind, a phase of endless showroom visits and test drives began. We tried out the C class, 3 series(330Li as the regular one wasn’t available for TD), XE and even the GLC and X3 (though SUV was not our first choice given the Thar angle). Without going into too many details, I would just say that none of them really appealed to the heart.

When the heart ruins your budget: One car that really stood out in one of our showroom visits was the C43, which was way out of budget. It was so good that we even considered extending our budget (which of-course didn’t happen overnight and involved various philosophical discussions with a bunch of close friends over multiple days!). But eventually C43 was ruled out on grounds of practicality and one of the teambhp owner reviews around it, though I can surely say that it remains closest to my heart on all other aspects.

Enter M340i: With the M340i coming into the equation, we had a new option to go for! It took us more than one TD and a lot of chats with existing M340i owners to convince ourselves around the ride and seat comfort. Lookwise, it didn’t stand out to begin with but grew on me with time. I would be honest to say that the great online reviews also biased our decision to some extent.

Enter 530d: During one of the TDs of the M340i, we came across the new 530d and the interiors definitely looked a class apart. It also felt more comfortable than the M340i. The test drive was amazing and in the conditions I drove in, the difference in power compared to the M340i wasn’t obvious. Just the exhaust was missing.

A long debate on M340i vs 530d began and while the 5 series ticked most of the practicality factors, that’s what it was, a practical choice! We hadn’t started the search looking for a practical option. The novelty factor of being one of the fastest cars on road along with that beautiful exhaust kept tipping our decision in favor of the M340i.

And we solved the dilemma: Finally, after 3 Test drives of the M340i, we decided to go with it assuming this is the best time to buy it given our age (early 30s) and 530d could be bought at a later point in time. Thought by the time we decided, the bookings had stopped for M340i and right now the dealers are saying it will resume in Jan.

Or did we! Enter S5! Meanwhile, I got a chance to check out the Audi S5. It was a very short test drive within city conditions so couldn't test the acceleration/handling aspects much. The interiors felt more premium and comfortable, though the steering felt too light. Exterior look wise also, I would prefer it over the M340i. The big questions remained over the pricing and driving (online forum suggests turbo lag in S5 compared to M340i though I couldn't feel it during my short TD).

S5 vs M340i? Now the dealer has got back and is offering close to 8L discount on a specific pre-configured model that they have in their showroom. I am guessing with some more negotiation, we would be able to reduce the pricing difference between M340i and S5 to ~10L from the original 19L. With these points in mind, I wanted to check with you all which one would you recommend?

An additional outside contender is the AMG GLC43 which I haven’t test driven yet but the exhaust and on-paper numbers are very tempting. With some discounts available from the dealer, it might be a couple of lakhs more expensive than the S5 quotation I got. Feature wise GLC43 is richer, the interiors are slightly outdated (missing the new interiors available in the A series and soon to be released C class), available color choice isn’t the first choice but isn’t very bad either.

Ok,I shall stop now!

Just to summarize the long confusing thread, the choice is between M340i and S5 (~ 10L more than the 340i), outside contenders are the GLC43 and 530d. Please suggest

Also just for additional context, our current ride is an Octavia and we aren’t looking at the used options as of now.
animeshc is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 07:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Choosing a car for a flickering mind | M340i vs S5 vs 530d vs GLC43

When you say it ought to sound good and you aren't open to used options, I feel the GLC43 is the perfect choice. It is a do it all practical type of car as well.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 07:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.bmwusedcars.in/buy-used-...ies/17288.html

It is an unregistered car, so I am guessing you can get it registered in any state.

Most cars listed in your post are kind of sleeper cars. They are nice cars but don't really stand out and easy to get confused with their regular variants. It's great if you want it that way.

Otherwise I suggest you go with somewhat niche cars like A (hatchback) AMG, Coupe/cabs from Mercedes, Mini, Z4, TT, etc. Don't bother with seating four in comfort when the car is primarily meant for your wife and you. If you try to check everything, it will end up as a boring choice albeit functional. It helps to have some "car of my childhood dreams" type of criteria. Keep your Octavia (and postpone Thar).

Last edited by androdev : 15th November 2021 at 08:03.
androdev is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 10:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

It is an unregistered car, so I am guessing you can get it registered in any state.

Most cars listed in your post are kind of sleeper cars. They are nice cars but don't really stand out and easy to get confused with their regular variants. It's great if you want it that way.
I did check with them a few days back and they mentioned that similar to a new vehicle, it would still be sold within the MH territory (with either MH or DD registration) because of some company regulations.

I agree with the sleeper point (maybe apart from S5). Interesting point around not worrying about the back seat space but if I plan to use this car for my long distance touring too, then some of the other practicality aspects like the boot size and ground clearance also come into the equation while considering options like mini or Z4 (not sure If I am overthinking here ).
Old 15th November 2021, 11:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshc View Post
I agree with the sleeper point (maybe apart from S5). Interesting point around not worrying about the back seat space but if I plan to use this car for my long distance touring too, then some of the other practicality aspects like the boot size and ground clearance also come into the equation while considering options like mini or Z4 (not sure If I am overthinking here ).
I am guessing it would be max two people traveling most of the time. Take advantage of it and go for a niche vehicle instead of a family sedan/SUV. Even A3 convertible would be more fun than what's in your list. Why do you want to be lost in the crowd of old uncles with kids and luggage? Ground clearance and boot space won't matter much - you will figure out a way to deal with the shortcomings. Just have to look for a car with a sensible spare tire options if you are doing long distance touring. Spare tire is the only red flag to take care of.

Last edited by androdev : 15th November 2021 at 11:17.
androdev is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 12:48   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice position to be in . Congrats in advance, man.

In your shoes, I would go for the M340i. It is an incredibly special car, the likes of which we don't see too often and every owner I've spoken to is crazy about the car. Just thinking of my highway drive in it makes me smile. A car like the M340i will give you immense pleasure & satisfaction over a 10-year period. You will never regret buying it. It's also faster, cheaper & more reliable than the S5 (going by BMW's usually spotless reliability record on the forum).

Would keep the 530d as the second option. Two main advantages would be diesel economy while touring (15 kmpl is unbelievably possible) and the fact that it's a segment up (although it doesn't show in the rear seat legroom). Would tilt toward the 530d only if your running is going to be high enough for the fuel costs to make a difference. Powerful turbo-petrols give just 3 - 5 kmpl when driven hard.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 19:42   #7
BHPian

Re: Choosing a car for a flickering mind | M340i vs S5 vs 530d vs GLC43

I think the 530d is the most practical option out of your choices, but since you're looking for the novelty factor, you'd be better off with an M340i or the GLC43 AMG. I feel the GLC is outdated and you will miss out on the newly updated mbux system that is present even in lower segment cars like the A-class. Also, since only you and your wife would be using the car for majority of the time, it does not make much sense to go for a bigger family sedan/ SUV type vehicle.

Alternatively, if you do want the extra seats, you could have a look at the 6 series GT M-sport which I believe is cheaper than the GLC, and imo it stands out since there aren't many on the roads currently(of course if you find the design to be attractive). It has a good amount of torque and is quite decently specced( it's supposed to be slotted between the 5- and the 7- series) .
Peri_patetic99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 20:32   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

It is an unregistered car, so I am guessing you can get it registered in any state
Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshc View Post
I did check with them a few days back and they mentioned that similar to a new vehicle, it would still be sold within the MH territory (with either MH or DD registration) because of some company regulations.
That M340 is the Press/ Demo car, many of our members too must have driven it. Stay away from this 8000 Km Demo cars irrespective how lucrative the prices they do. If someone must go the pre-owned route, best is to look for single owner low mileage cars. Difficult to find but possible.

I am not a fan of VW/ Audi and since this is going to be daily drive car for OP plus long distance car, I will not at all consider S5. Audi’s business model is very clear, price at par with other two Germans and then discount and get business. Audi/ VW are notoriously bad on honouring warranties and regular maintenance costs will also be higher than BMW.

Given the age of the OP and budget, a brand new M340 will be my pick.

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th November 2021 at 20:33.
Turbanator is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 09:19   #9
BHPian

An M340i is the best pick, BUT, if you plan to drive it anywhere outside your home state on long drives, bad roads will pose a serious problem. A GLC 43 is much more feasible for longer drives and touring. It sounds pretty good, is very powerful and looks very cool. The M340i on the other hand is a 3 series at the end of the day. Within city limits, I am not sure how much faster it can be driven over a regular 330i which itself is pretty powerful for Indian roads. As for the novelty factor, only a handful of enthusiasts would know it's a powerful M340i as a result of which the GLC 43 would have greater road presence.

My suggestion would be to go for the GLC 43, which has the added bonus of practicality. Go for the M340i if the driving dynamics of a sedan are more important to you than the practicality of an SUV.
hrk997 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 09:25   #10
BHPian

Out of the lot, my pick would be the M340i
Why ? Cause I am biased towards it and I’ve fallen in love with it.
On a serious note, it is a very special car and since this purchase is driven by heart than head so you’ve got to feed your heart’s hunger !
True, most people will see it as a regular 3 series but for every car guy out there you’ll have their respect
SShandilya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 10:40   #11
BHPian

For me, its definitely M340i. I have booked the M340i in August, and am eagerly awaiting delivery. Let me share my experience so far.

I am also in mid 30s, and have three cars in the household (Toyota Innova, Isuzu MU-X and Polo GT). I was not at all looking for a new car, let alone a luxury car but when I saw that M340i got released in India (and that too at a decent price), the itch started in my brain to acquire this car. This itch is purely based on my 8-year ownership of 335i (E90, N54, 6 ZF AUTO, Sport Suspension).

By the time, I made up my mind to buy this car, it was already August. I booked the car online on shop.bmw.in two days before my birthday hoping to get delivery in September if not August. I just assumed that cars were built and ready, and will be dispatched once a customer places an order.

But after speaking to the dealer, rude shock came in that the car is not available even in the factory, and no one has clue when the cars will be built. SA always maintained that the dealership is surviving with on-hand inventory for every model. Chip shortage is causing production delays for all models that have newer idrive systems, and only models with older idrive systems, such as X1, are getting produced currently. The wait has now stretched to November, and recently I read here that newly produced BMWs may not get touchscreens at all.

Couple of weeks back I gave a brief thought if I should consider some other car (specifically 530d), but then SA said even 530d has production delays due to the chip shortage. Anyways, I had to reason with myself that this entire car purchase decision started because 340i got released in first place or else I dont really need a luxury car. I am now willing to take the car even without the touchscreen. I can live with iDrive controller. I already got comments from near and dear that its just a 3-series and I should buy a 520d of all things. buts it not like they know more than me.

Last edited by Comrade : 16th November 2021 at 10:42.
Comrade is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 10:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

My personal pick would be the Audi S5. It looks flash and goes like a rocket. The Quattro system holds it down like a leech. That coupe (Or Sportback in Audi language) profile is simply unmatched to the other cars on your list (the exception being the C43). There is no substitute for this car when it comes to looks. The only negative I can think of is space and practicality. It sits real low and considering you're going to have your folks visit from time to time, they may need help to step out of an S5.

I can't comment on the M340i as I've not driven one. To me, it looks like another BMW on the road. Other than some fine design elements and colors that make the M edition stand out, its not a car that draws me to it. Its probably the more practical of the sedans on your list. You sit higher than a S5. On other positives, it has a little more power, the interiors are done better than the S5 and is likely to have better steering feel.

The GLC43 would ideally be the best option for you. In AMG guise, it should be fun and fast.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 11:14   #13
BHPian

M340i would be my pick. At that price point I don't think there is anything else that comes close to the performance it offers. Not the best looks (I hate the alloy wheel design), but it makes up in everything else.

The 530d makes more sense practically as it is a segment above, offers good performance and comfort and is frugal too, being a diesel. But Hey, it doesn't appeal to the heart like the M340i does
DIV17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 11:39   #14
BHPian

Well , you can never go wrong with any BMW. But coming from an BMW 530d owner which is 9 years old nothing beats the reliability of a diesel heart and the n57n inline six diesel is just fantastic . As GTO mentioned long drives in a diesel are still a preferred choice due to practicality.
The new G30 530d is better in terms of build quality and will age gracefully. Till now I get stares for my f10 which is a full generation old. Don't consider S5 and GLC 43 amg (no harm to any members). BMW is the most reliable German.
LEOMAN is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 12:37   #15
BHPian

In this Order

a) 530d - The Last of a breed (will last 20 years, and will grow on you, like a marriage)
b) Mx340i - Obviously the Pure choice (but wont last 20 years. Hard suspension will bore you. India doesn't have the right roads to enjoy it)
c) Z4 - to have fun

I also agree with the previous posters, keep the Octavia, Postpone the Thar
Nucliomaniac is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks