Mercedes GLC 21 10.82%
Land Rover Discovery Sport 24 12.37%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2021, 13:55   #1
BHPian

Volvo XC60 vs BMW X3 vs Mercedes GLC vs Audi Q5 vs Land Rover Discovery Sport

Hello Bhpians,

I need your help in finalizing and shortlisting the two or possibly THE one among the contenders.

I have been longing to get a German/European luxury brand for almost 5 years now. My last purchase was a European car but not entirely the marquee league. I bought a Skoda Octavia 1.8TSI L&K 2019, the last of its kind before BSVI kicked-in at the expense of 3GT at that time since 3GT was less practical with no boot space at all & it would have made me buy two cars since 3GT was not suitable for long runs & airport drives.

My current garage is an Octavia 1.8TSI & a Tata Tiago XZA.
The Octavia is the daily drive and have completed 40K kms in 2 years whereas the Tiago does the minor tight space market runs and occasional city runs and only driven by my wife have completed 18K kms in 5.5yrs

The new drive would have mixed use and I would split the miles between the Octavia & the new purchase and would sell the Tiago off.

Key Criteria:

1. Must be a SUV
2. Must be a Petrol
3. Would wish to retain this for 8-10 years so low cost of ownership is also desirable. Unlike lots of horror ownership stories of Octavia, in its 40K kms it has not faced any major issue and I have not spent a single penny apart from the maintenance package I bought at time of purchase (No tires, battery, wipers, brake pads etc. replaced till date)
4. Based out of Gurgaon, so any feedback on local dealership experience would also help
5. Looks & road presence matters a lot
6. Self drive, small family of 3, so not too concerned about back seat comfort
7. ICE-->Must be smashing & top of the league. I love the Canton in the Octavia and it is a non negotiable item. So pretty much rules out the entry/base model of all contenders.
8. Ventilated seats-->Nice to have
9. Max budget is 70L on-road

Contenders:

1. New Audi Q5:
-Practical, but I am afraid it would be too similar to drive like the Octavia considering family lineage
-Lacks road presence & oomph factor
-Also I hope the service and reliability would be at par with Octavia

2. Mercedes GLC:
-Cheapest of all but also the most dated without any 4WD

3. BMW X3:
-Down on features, looks very good but it is nearing a update and don't want to be stuck with older generation for next 8-10 years

4. Volvo XC60:
-Absolutely ticks all the boxes, good looks, feature loaded
-Not sure about service experience & badge value?

5. Land Rover Discovery Sport:
-Range Rover pedigree, absolutely love the road presence & new update is feature loaded too
-Not sure about the reliability & if it can sustain 8-10 years of hassle free ownership
-Lack of service packages, warranty whereas peers do offer good variety of service & warranty packages

Thanks in advance!!
the pony is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 15:31   #2
BHPian

re: Volvo XC60 vs BMW X3 vs Mercedes GLC vs Audi Q5 vs Land Rover Discovery Sport

Basis the criteria, Volvo XC60 seems to be the best option. The only con could be service, which I've heard is good in Delhi (Narayan Sir's thread is a good source of information).

In South, especially Bangalore, I do not recommend Volvo.

Caveat: I have only test driven the D5, unsure of the B5 performance
abhilashgp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 15:37   #3
BHPian

re: Volvo XC60 vs BMW X3 vs Mercedes GLC vs Audi Q5 vs Land Rover Discovery Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashgp View Post
Basis the criteria, Volvo XC60 seems to be the best option. The only con could be service, which I've heard is good in Delhi (Narayan Sir's thread is a good source of information).

In South, especially Bangalore, I do not recommend Volvo.

Caveat: I have only test driven the D5, unsure of the B5 performance
Why will you not recommend Volvo? I'm in a similar situation and looking at the exact same options and had made up my mind to go for Volvo XC60. I'm planning to do a longish test drive this Sunday. While I'm current in NCR, I'll be buying in Bangalore as we are relocating soon. Any details on service issues will be good to know before hand.

This also leaves with practically no choice. X3, my preferred option, is date with no stock anywhere and speculation that facelift might come in Mar.
Old 26th November 2021, 18:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
Why will you not recommend Volvo?
You can see my comment in the thread (Which Luxury SUV to buy in the 60 - 70 lakh price bracket?)

Quote:
This also leaves with practically no choice. X3, my preferred option, is date with no stock anywhere and speculation that facelift might come in Mar.
I was in the same boat (X3 was available when I was in the market, but it didn't meet my needs); I ended up stretching my budget and went for a GLE 300d. If you aren't insistent on Active Safety, maybe Q5 would be good to check out.
abhilashgp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 12:09   #5
BHPian

I wouldn't worry about the service at Volvo. I own a BMW and Volvo and the service in Ahmedabad at the Volvo center is leagues ahead of that of BMW.

Ofcourse you might end up having a bad experience at some point, but if its similar to the Ahmedabad service center, I would actually count it as a positive rather than a con. While Europe wouldn't put it in the same bracket as the BMW/Audi/Mercedes league, in India Volvo does have badge value similar to them. I would still say its Mercedes, Jaguar and BMW which command the highest badge value.

Personally, I find the Land Rover/Range Rover products a bit overpriced (Discovery Sport definitely). I don't like the facelifted Q5 (seems a generation old in interiors and exteriors). I would definitely get one of the the XC60/X3 depending on whichever you prefer.
kartavya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 12:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashgp View Post
You can see my comment in the thread (Which Luxury SUV to buy in the 60 - 70 lakh price bracket?)

I was in the same boat (X3 was available when I was in the market, but it didn't meet my needs); I ended up stretching my budget and went for a GLE 300d. If you aren't insistent on Active Safety, maybe Q5 would be good to check out.
Thanks! Went through your entire thread. It was really disappointing to come across service issues. Service center trust is foundational while buying an expensive car.

I'll be giving Q5 a test drive and see if that moves the needle
bhushan08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 18:15   #7
BHPian

I am in the same boat looking for an SUV / Cross-over in the 60 to 70 lacs range. I think the entire segment is launching or recently launched facelifts.

X3 - production stopped and no stock with dealers. Facelift will be available in February’22
XC60- launched facelift last month. Took a short test drive and was really impressed with the drive and interiors.
GLC 200 - petrol is very lethargic and boring to drive. Sports+ mode is better but no where near XC60.
GLC 220d - much better to drive than the Petrol. Great interiors and back seat space is pretty good.
Q5 - yet to take test drive but costliest of all the options.

Will wait for X3 refresh but I think it’s mainly an choice between X3 and XC60 for me. Would be keen to follow advice from the forum.
pk1972 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 06:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pony View Post
3. BMW X3:
-Down on features, looks very good but it is nearing a update and don't want to be stuck with older generation for next 8-10 years

Thanks in advance!!
A little disclaimer first: being an X3 owner, consider me a little biased Before my purchase, I did checkout the 22 facelift that got launched in US markets already and all it has is minor cosmetic changes so a true next gen update is minimum a year away. You can check the facelift specs on edmunds.com

One word on features: IMHO, most touted ones are rarely or never get used. I have had my X3 for more than 2 months now. Rarely used: sunroof, seat memory, all those ambience colors, rain sensor, voice control. Never used: paddle shifters, cruise control, built-in navigation, that fancy auto parking assistant etc etc
CosmicWizard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 07:01   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Would pick the X3 from this lot. Why?

The Q5 may be a relatively new model, but feels too much like a VW or Skoda to drive (spent 1000+ km with one in Australia a few years ago). Why pay that much extra for 4 rings?

The Discovery Sport is getting really old (iirc, the current version was launched even before the GLC), and has too much body roll. It’s probably the most SUVish of the lot - which is a disadvantage for me.

The GLC was great when you had the GLC300 but Mercedes downgraded the Petrol to the GLC200 - which puts it at a 50 BHP disadvantage to the rest.

I think the Volvo is the best looking car in the segment - and would give the X3 a tough fight. But at least I am reluctant to give my money to the Chinese when I have similar alternatives available. If the Volvo were materially better than the X3, I would have picked it. When you can argue the X3 is better, why go for it?

Hence you are left with the X3. The best time to buy it would have been pre facelift - because you get insane discounts. But guess in today’s chip shortage world, discounts would be hard to get - and picking the facelift which will be current at least for 4 more years makes a lot of sense. When you ask consider that BMW’s service packages are best in segment, it makes it a real no brainer.
Hayek is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 17:57   #10

My heart says X3 but XC60 seems to have a lot of boxes checked from space to comfort to safety.

Any word of caution on Volvo BLR dealership? After reading a couple of Team BHP threads quesionning BLR service,I am having a second thought. Should I rather wait for for 2022 X3 which I guess going to come with mild hybrid?
Old 28th November 2021, 19:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pony View Post
Hello Bhpians,

in at the expense of 3GT at that time since 3GT was less practical with no boot space at all & it would have made me buy two cars since 3GT was not suitable for long runs & airport drives.

Key Criteria:
Contenders:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4517890

OT but I’m surprised you found the 3GT boot inadequate at the time. Above link onwards has some pics on the kind of luggage we’ve managed to pack in our GT. It’s done plenty airport trips for us and despite my keeping the space saver all the time I’ve never felt shortchanged on boot space. If its a city airport run you could anyway remove the space saver and then you’d have every bit as much space as an Octavia.

Coming to your key criteria and contenders, I think it should come down to X3 vs Volvo. The new Volvo petrol is much nicer than its outgoing diesel sibling and the interiors feel a generation ahead of the X3. Of course, for sheer peace of mind specially for long term ownership, best in class warranty / service packs I have first hand comfort with the BMW. Having said that, the Volvo just feels a bit more special in every way inside the car. If I had to make the choice today, I’d struggle to choose but perhaps more likely veer towards the Volvo between these two. The X3 will also have slightly reduced boot space (with its raised boot floor accommodating the spare) compared to the Volvo which looks and feels like a more complete boot.

Please do check out V Narayan’s long term ownership thread on his Volvo XC 60 - he’s keeping his for the long haul and has a detailed ownership experience in your neck of the woods. That should give you some idea of the ownership experience in NCR. Link below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...2-000-kms.html

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th November 2021 at 19:18.
Axe77 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 19:25   #12
BHPian

I took a longer test drive of XC60. It was on the usual potholes and some straight lines. The car ticks all the right boxes. The rider was smooth, driving in peak traffic was easy and enough power to accelerate when needed. Suspension was good enough. It handled all of the potholes with ease.

The only gap I felt was the lag in power / pick up when the car slows down and one tries sudden acceleration e.g. at speed breakers.

Planning Q5 test drive soon.

X3 - no test cars available, nothing on stock. BMW dealers are snooty enough to not answer questions on when it will happen When asked, they suggested that I book the X3 and they will get me the car sometime next year. That too without a test drive. I said how can you expect a customer to buy without even a test drive? To this, he had no answer but to make me feel like an idiot asking this to him. After all they are BWM This is sharp contrast to the Volvo guys who are prompt and courteous.

I know this may be one off. So will have to wait for the new 'facelift'.
bhushan08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 22:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I took a longer test drive of XC60. It was on the usual potholes and some straight lines. The car ticks all the right boxes. The rider was smooth, driving in peak traffic was easy and enough power to accelerate when needed. Suspension was good enough. It handled all of the potholes with ease.

The only gap I felt was the lag in power / pick up when the car slows down and one tries sudden acceleration e.g. at speed breakers.

Planning Q5 test drive soon.

X3 - no test cars available, nothing on stock. BMW dealers are snooty enough to not answer questions on when it will happen When asked, they suggested that I book the X3 and they will get me the car sometime next year. That too without a test drive. I said how can you expect a customer to buy without even a test drive? To this, he had no answer but to make me feel like an idiot asking this to him. After all they are BWM This is sharp contrast to the Volvo guys who are prompt and courteous.

I know this may be one off. So will have to wait for the new 'facelift'.
Bhushan - both BMW dealers in Bengaluru confirmed facelift X3 will be available by February'22. There are no stocks anywhere leave alone test drive cars. Guess will have to wait it out till February.

GLC is also getting some updates - no details yet but the dealer said "interesting" updates.

Meanwhile, Kodiaq will launch in January'22 and might just take away customers
pk1972 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 00:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojseb View Post
My heart says X3 but XC60 seems to have a lot of boxes checked from space to comfort to safety.

Any word of caution on Volvo BLR dealership? After reading a couple of Team BHP threads quesionning BLR service,I am having a second thought. Should I rather wait for for 2022 X3 which I guess going to come with mild hybrid?
As an owner of a v40 since the last 5 years, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Volvo service. In fact it's fabulous - never had any issues till date.
reignofchaos is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 09:40   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4517890

OT but I’m surprised you found the 3GT boot inadequate at the time. Above link onwards has some pics on the kind of luggage we’ve managed to pack in our GT.
Your ownership experience is awesome congratulations on owning the GT. I live in a multi-storey and stashing away the boot cover and the donut was too much of a hassle for me and for my wife as there was no option for us to stash it in the basement parking. We did try to pack in 3-4 large international travel fit suitcases during one of the test drives and it was not possible till the donut and/or the boot cover is stashed away which is not an issue in the Octavia. Also we were advised against putting the bags on top of the donut as it may damage the tire due to weight or an accidental pull/push of the luggage.

Anyways the selection seem to be boiling down between the X3 and the XC 60. Took the test drive of XC60 and came out impressed. I am yet to test drive the other options though.
the pony is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks