Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2021, 15:08   #1
BHPian

Should I sell off my Mercedes C-Class?

Hello Team -BHP:

Sincerely hope you guys can help me figure out this conundrum.

I have a 2008 C Class Kompressor, driven by me and it has done only 59K kms till date. The car has been meticulously maintained and serviced only in the authorised MB service centres. It runs sweetly but off late there are two issues which are nagging:
  1. The FE has worsened and now it gives me only 7.0 to 7.5 kmpl from the earlier 10 kmpl.
  2. On bad roads (with potholes) one can hear some noise from the suspension.

My wife wants to have a EV and i don't want 3 cars in the house for the two of us. Secondly, she doesn't drive and the EV would in all probability be driven by a driver. ( i have no problem driving her wherever she wants, but she would probably feel more independent if she had a driver to take her on her errands and visits.)

We actually don't need a driver but last year i had a health situation and hence it is advisable if a driver is around for emergency requirements. In fact, we are building a new house in a small farm house scheme and i am building some staff quarters so that we could have the possibility of having a driver 24x7.

Thirdly, we are installing 11.88KW solar power and being a die hard Ahmdavadi, would like to optimise returns as far as possible. See: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...-power-ev.html.

Moreover, we have a 2017 GLE which we use for our outstation trips and god willing would continue to do so. Our last trip was to HP. See: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...l-pradesh.html (A drive to the Valley of the Gods - Kullu and Kangra in Himachal Pradesh). We both are very particular about the car and its upkeep and don't like to allow drivers to use the C Class or the GLE. In fact, it was only due to my health situation last year that we were forced to employ a driver.

Lastly, My understanding is that the resale price of the C class is peanuts, immaculately maintained, though it may well be. Find it difficult to sell this beautiful car for peanuts. At the same time, small niggles and naggles have started. One can ignore it, but unfortunately it is not in my DNA. When i was ill, my daughter- knowing my fad to keep the car well maintained- sent the car to the MB service and asked them to change the plastic vents ( some of them were not turning with the lever given) MB charged Rs 1.25 lacs for this job and i nearly had another stroke when i saw the bill. On taking up the matter with the Service manager, he said that he knew my attention to detail and hence thought that i wanted it. The FE has also dropped sharply of late. From the earlier 10 kmph it now gives only 7 to 7.5 kmph

So what do we do? Sell the car for peanuts and buy a EV or continue with this, in spite of the worsening FE and small niggles and naggles? Would appreciate advise.

Last edited by earthian : 28th November 2021 at 15:11.
earthian is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 15:21   #2
BANNED

re: Should I sell off my Mercedes C-Class?

A car that is not being used and still demands expensive maintenance is something you should definitely get rid of. And the maintenance expense is only going to increase as the car gets older

I would simply to suggest you to get a car that you feel comfortable in giving the keys to your driver. Especially considering that your other family members don't drive themselves. A small hatch or crossover is much better suited to daily urban duties compared to a GLE

As for an EV, look at the current options within your budget. (Realistically MG ZS and Nexon EV are the best options at the moment). If these and their respective range suits you, these would be a great option. If not, look at an ICE car. There's plenty of life left in ICE cars, especially for Indian market.
agambhandari is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 15:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I would simply to suggest you to get a car that you feel comfortable in giving the keys to your driver. Especially considering that your other family members don't drive themselves. A small hatch or crossover is much better suited to daily urban duties compared to a GLE
Exactly my sentiments. I was seriously considering the Tiguan when the EV caught my fancy.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 16:19   #4
Team-BHP Support

I suppose this will only start attracting more such bills and since you already have a luxurious Mercedes (GLE) at your disposal, I would actually recommend selling it and buying a car which you are happy to give to a driver as well.

I know I recommended the Nexon in the other thread (and I still think that’s the bare minimum EV you should go for) but I would really recommend pushing till the MG ZS EV if you can. It is a very distinct step up and given you clearly maintain your cars well and also have the ability to hold them long, I hope the stretch to the MG will not feel that hard perhaps.

Trust me, even though you drive some lovely cars, the ZS EV will bring a wide grin to your face every time you drive it - its lovely to drive in its own unique way.
Axe77 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 16:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I suppose this will only start attracting more such bills and since you already have a luxurious Mercedes (GLE) at your disposal, I would actually recommend selling it and buying a car which you are happy to give to a driver as well.
My sentiments exactly!
Quote:
I know I recommended the Nexon in the other thread (and I still think that’s the bare minimum EV you should go for) but I would really recommend pushing till the MG ZS EV if you can. It is a very distinct step up and given you clearly maintain your cars well and also have the ability to hold them long, I hope the stretch to the MG will not feel that hard perhaps.
i am going to TD all the offerings, though initially i was inclined towards the Nexon.

Thank you, Axe for your courtesy and help. Much appreciated.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 17:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post

So what do we do? Sell the car for peanuts and buy a EV or continue with this, in spite of the worsening FE and small niggles and naggles? Would appreciate advise.
I haven't had the privilege of owning one of these brands. Hence, my recommendation is purely from an economic perspective. If you spend more on maintaining bits and bobs from the car than it is actually worth, then is it really worth it?

There's probably another element that is intangible. This car is 13 years old. This means, you've got 13 years of memories in that car. Your memories will stay with you forever, regardless of whether the car is with you or not. You own another Mercedes. I doubt your reasons for not selling are the resale price, but more driven by attachment.

Sometimes, we hold on to certain things because we've got an emotional attachment to them. But just like everything else in life, we may need to let them go as well.
BeMyWings is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 17:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWings View Post

Sometimes, we hold on to certain things because we've got an emotional attachment to them. But just like everything else in life, we may need to let them go as well.
You are on the dot!
Thank you for your response.
earthian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 18:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you have the time, visit a competent independent garage that can help you get the car sorted out.

You say immaculately maintained but it seems to me like that might just mean cleaned regularly and driven carefully because such a drop in fe and noise from the suspension indicates that preventive maintenance has not been done. If you do sell the car you won't get much for it since the buyer will have to sort out whatever issues you have mentioned at their expense.

I have seen kompressor mercs run for ages so I'm sure some expenditure of money and time can see your car brought back to new; which I'm assuming is the only excuse you will need not to sell it. It is definitely in my opinion of the last generation of mercs that had some sense of style with perfect proportions and detail.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th November 2021 at 18:23.
IshaanIan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 21:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

At 59K km, the suspension noise must be a simple mount/bushing replacement. The lower fuel efficiency is a bigger concern though - have it diagnosed before categorising the car as a white elephant.

It will not be that simple to find a car that is a good enough replacement for a C class without shopping in the same category. The new cars may shine bright in the showroom but once on the road, they are always found wanting in their ride, NVH and the overall comfort.

The thought of selling a car doesn't come to me as long as the cabin feels fresh without wear and tear. In most cases, prolonging the ownership is good for the wallet and the environment.

Don't be too biased by 2008 make. Find if it is really going to need costly repairs. Find if you have suitable replacement in mind (after test driving it).

EV+Solar is a cool idea - maybe you can consider a farm vehicle for the time being till a good enough EV is launched. I don't have much idea about the EV options in India - I just struggle to find a regular ICE car with decent ride outside the European brands. Maybe I prefer how the suspension is tuned by these Euro brands.
androdev is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 22:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sell the C class and recover whatever you can. As for EV, if your running is low, buy it for the EV driving pleasure and silence but not for the savings. I recently checked ZS EV and did not make financial case for me. ZS EV top spec is 26L, a similar spec Astor is 18L, so to recover the EV premium at a savings of 1L a year is about 7-8 years. But the EV was lot of fun to drive with the instant torque.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 22:40   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest you keep the C if you are able to sort out the low FE issue. The reason for low FE could be as simple as a clogged injector. Try running a few full tank of petrol with liqui moly petrol additive and see if it improves the FE. If not, take your car to a competent FNG who specialize in European cars and see if they can sort out the low FE issue.

Regarding suspension, it should not be a big thing to fix it. Parts are available aftermarket and any competent garage must be able to replace the required parts
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 22:55   #12
BHPian

Sir,
I feel that you should keep the C if you have any sentiments with the car. This is because, as you rightly pointed out, the C will sell for peanuts. As the car is so immaculately maintained by you, you can consider fixing it up and holding on to it and use it for your grocery drives.

If considering an EV sir, I would recommend you to check out the ZS EV as it is a class above the Nexon. Also, some of the horror stories of Tata motors, as mentioned on the forum, are definitely something that you should not take the risk with, especially considering the fact that you have been a luxury car user for quite a few years now.

Also wishing you the best for your health, Sir.

Regards,
D
Dwaipayan26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 12:34   #13
BHPian

Re: Should I sell off my Mercedes C-Class?

Hello, it is pretty rare to see such keenly maintained C class in the market. Owning a 2001 W203 C200 CDI myself & having to shell out a lot for regular maintenance, I still retain it for emotional value & the attachment! As you said it sells for peanuts! Selling a car that we love for peanuts is not something car aficionados do usually. However if there is no emotional connect, and can sell to a buyer who will keep her well, I’d maybe sell.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I sell off my Mercedes C-Class?-f7a5156e52ec473dac52e1951be06782.jpeg  

Last edited by Aditya : 1st December 2021 at 16:39. Reason: Non forum characters
Sanjeev911 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 13:13   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeev911 View Post
Hello, it is pretty rare to see such keenly maintained C class in the market. Owning a 2001 W203 C200 CDI myself & having to shell out a lot for regular maintenance, I still retain it for emotional value & the attachment! As you said it sells for peanuts! Selling a car that we love for peanuts is not something car aficionados do usually. However if there is no emotional connect, and can sell to a buyer who will keep her well, I’d maybe sell.
Wow, you’re still maintaining a 2001 diesel C class. That is incredible and hats off to you.

Can I please ask how expensive is it in terms of annual upkeep cost, whether passing automated / digital PUC checks is not posing an issue and whether it was easy to get the RTO extension post its 15 year life?

Thank you.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st December 2021 at 16:39. Reason: Quoted text edited
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 14:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Wow, you’re still maintaining a 2001 diesel C class. That is incredible and hats off to you.

Can I please ask how expensive is it in terms of annual upkeep cost, whether passing automated / digital PUC checks is not posing an issue and whether it was easy to get the RTO extension post its 15 year life?

Thank you.
Thank You @Axe77. Yes, it is costly to maintain. However with an outside mechanic who regularly takes care of the vehicle it is not a big mess. Parts are the biggest headache in this journey. Almost all electronic parts have been updated thus far on my car due to failure bar the Engine ECU. Suspension was also overhauled a few years back. Clutch is still OE. The steering gearbox cost 1.5 lakhs, Body control module cost another bomb! However the ride is one of the most enjoyable that one can imagine!

Yearly costs would be around 10k-15k.
Sanjeev911 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks