Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2022, 01:49   #1
BHPian

Help me with my conundrum on choosing the right Bimmer | BMW 3-Series vs 5-Series vs X3

Hello, BHPian's/Petrolheads,

Being a silent follower of the wonderful forum for more than a decade finally, I am in a crossroads situation where I need guidance/advice from you all on choosing my first Luxury car.

Just a background on me I am in my early 30s hailing from a middle-class family and the first generation to own/ workship a car. We currently own an 8 years old I20 which has clocked over 1 lakh KM and has been like a member of the family.

I always dreamed of owning a Luxury car and have been saving for it from the time I purchase our I20. This ongoing pandemic put me away from my car for more than 2 years and it made me think that this was the right time to own my dream.

Started discussing with my wife the plan and after a long discussion/ convincing she finally agreed to make the big move. We both agree that we do not want anything other than a BMW as we somehow feel connected to the BMW than any other brand.

We are a family of 5 including my parents who are in their late 60's and an infant. We mostly drive to places across south India and at least once in 2 months to a hill station. I enjoy spirited driving when I am alone or with my wife and like to cruise with comfort when others are on the ride. We like to own this car for at least the next 10 years and reliability is the key thing. Decided to go only with petrol options as most of the automakers are slowly discontinuing diesel mills.

We had a hard budget of 65L with that started our showroom visit in Dec, We approached KUN BMW Coimbatore and did a TD on 330LI, 530i, and the last Gen x3 (though we can not book it at the time as BMW was about to Launch LCI in Early Jan). The SA was so sure that they can not provide any discount of more than 2L for any of their current models owning to huge demand and chip shortage.

yesterday did a second round of visits to the showroom to do more TD with my complete family and was surprised to see the New X3 in their garage though I was not able to do the TD I was impressed with the new tail Light and the updated headlight assembly.

330Li M-Sport: I like the overall driving dynamics and the family felt better with the extra legroom in the rear seat but I felt the suspension is a bit soft compared to 330i and due to chip shortage they have removed gesture control, 360 cameras with the upcoming batches.

530i M-sport: The moment I stepped into 530i I felt its interiors are in a different class compared to 330Li. The TD was amazing and the laser lights lit up the road quite well which boost my confidence in the evening the only downside which I felt was a small scratch on the underbelly over a big hump and the car was loaded with 6 including myself and SA in the front which my family occupied the rear seat.

X3 Xdrive30 M-sport: This was never under our radar until the scratch on the underbody during a TD on the 530i as we like to drive around a sedan at least till the early 40s, but the new x3 design and the old x3 reviews made me rethink on owning an SUV.

now the confusion over which bimmer starts here as I know that 3 series is almost nearing its time for an LCI update and I do not want to buy the last generation when I know that the change is somewhere around the corner as I am planning to stick with the new drive for more than a decade.

For the 330LI I somehow feel that it does not fit in either of the categories and like to keep it as the last option if things don't workout with 5 series or X3.

Everyone in the family is fine with the 530i but I am a bit skeptical about the GC given that 40% of rides will be on some non-highway roads I like to know how well a 530i can handle the non-highways roads and some rough terrains on hill stations.

X3 is completely sold out for the first edition and one may need to wait till March for the second slot booking. We are considering it only from the GC point other than that not much interested in an SUV now and also this being a new launch I doubt that they may not even offer the 2L discount.

We even considered the 340I but worried about the FE. My rides will be split 50%-50% on a spirited ride and a family cruise ride.
This will be our primary car other than the aging I20 which we feel will serve for some more years.

Pardon the poor punctuations as I tried to dump all my thought around my big move in my life here in this thread.
GokuTorqueRider is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 06:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Help me with my conundrum on choosing the right Bimmer | BMW 3-Series vs 5-Series vs X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GokuTorqueRider View Post
Everyone in the family is fine with the 530i but I am a bit skeptical about the GC given that 40% of rides will be on some non-highway roads I like to know how well a 530i can handle the non-highways roads and some rough terrains on hill stations.
BMW is amongst the more reliable of all the Germans as you must have noticed on other threads. 530 is a very good car and GC should not be a problem on the majority of roads. At least, it will be better over 330Li. However, the rear seats are a pain and can be a dealbreaker especially if your parents accompany you a lot They may not feel good sitting so low. The best will be to take them along on an extended drive.

X3-LCI looks nice and will be fresh, you can book the M variant and get those lovely alloys complimentary. There are multiple X3 ownership threads and many members have driven long distances. It drives well for an SUV, not the same as 5 but still, you will enjoy more in daily use.

Since the days of crazy discounts are practically over, it’s always a good idea to buy the latest product. There won’t be any discounts on the X3 LCI but you should be able to get deliveries from an alternate dealership most likely. Good luck with your purchase

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th January 2022 at 07:16.
Turbanator is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 14:30   #3
BHPian

re: Help me with my conundrum on choosing the right Bimmer | BMW 3-Series vs 5-Series vs X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
BMW is amongst the more reliable of all the Germans as you must have noticed on other threads. 530 is a very good car and GC should not be a problem on the majority of roads. At least, it will be better over 330Li. However, the rear seats are a pain and can be a dealbreaker especially if your parents accompany you a lot They may not feel good sitting so low. The best will be to take them along on an extended drive.
Yup the ingress and egress were also a bit difficult for them on sedan due to their low riding height. Not sure whether it will be a good idea to have 530i as a single primary drive as I have seen in many threads that they always have it as a secondary ride.

Quote:
X3-LCI looks nice and will be fresh, you can book the M variant and get those lovely alloys complimentary. There are multiple X3 ownership threads and many members have driven long distances. It drives well for an SUV, not the same as 5 but still, you will enjoy more in daily use.
When I tried to book them they are already out of stock, If I book them now I will not get the complimentary alloys and I am in a confusion should I choose an SUV over Sedan this time.

Quote:
Since the days of crazy discounts are practically over, it’s always a good idea to buy the latest product. There won’t be any discounts on the X3 LCI but you should be able to get deliveries from an alternate dealership most likely. Good luck with your purchase
Kun is the only dealership available in Tamilnadu I tried reaching out to BMW Navnit and BMW Deutsche Bengaluru but both replied that they are not allowed to sell outside Karnataka due to some restrictions from RTO.
GokuTorqueRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 15:46   #4
BHPian

Pre-LCI X3's rear bench was a little shallow and lacked under thigh support. Do check if it is sufficient for your family members.

Between 330 Li and 530i, the 330 Li definitely scores in the rear seat department. For everything else, I think the 530i is better. Also, 330 Li loses out on many features present in the 5 series (comfort access, 360 camera, steering mounted paddle shifts, rear window blinds, to name a few).
Ojas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 18:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojas View Post
Pre-LCI X3's rear bench was a little shallow and lacked under thigh support. Do check if it is sufficient for your family members.
Yet to do a test drive on the new X3 but what I observed from the garage inspection is that the bench is some what similar to 530I but definitely not comfortable for 3 in the rear due to the huge transmission tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojas View Post
Between 330 Li and 530i, the 330 Li definitely scores in the rear seat department. For everything else, I think the 530i is better. Also, 330 Li loses out on many features present in the 5 series (comfort access, 360 camera, steering mounted paddle shifts, rear window blinds, to name a few).
330LI has a bit more leg room compared to 530i but drag a lot behind 530I over the driving comfort.
Old 16th January 2022, 22:36   #6
BHPian

I am quite curious to know why BMW does not offer a simple customisation on their cars.
Today had a chat with Sales representative and was checking with him on the possibility of changing the Sensatec artificial leather to Vernasca real leather on both 5 series as well as the upcoming x3 (as I am still confused between these two)by paying the difference amount but he said they can not offer that .
The lower priced 330LI has a Vernasca leather why not the 530i or the X3 30i?

How much difference of difference in ride can we see between a 20 Inch and a 19Inch alloy wheels? as the booking for new X3 first edition is already completed was checking the possibility of upgrading the 19 Inch alloys to 20 Inch but for this too he said its not possible.
Old 17th January 2022, 11:30   #7
BHPian

Hi Goku,

I have been driving an X3 2.0d for the last 5.5 years. Similar to you I had started out on buying a BMW sedan but had to give up all hopes immediately due to the state of Bangalore roads. Even though my parents/in laws don't stay with me, I had to consider the low seating in sedans due to them. I have done numerous Bangalore - Coimbatore, Bangalore - Coorg/Chikamagalur, Bangalore - Kodaikanal drives in the X3. The car is an absolute hoot to drive and it has the least body roll amongst all SUVs in that price range and the sport mode is great in the highways/ghats. Also in terms of maintenance , with the BRI and BSI packages, all I had to do was fill fuel and drive.

Regarding the rear bench space, I have found both my parents/in laws ( all with a maximum height of 5'7") have had no complaints for 8-9 hour drives also. Even with the tunnel, rear space should be good enough for 2 adults and a 10 year old kid for long drives. The only negative is the slightly stiffer ride quality due to the run flats but i didnt want to have a space saver in the boot due to the luggage we carry when we travel in the highways and didn't want to compromise on the safety.

My car has done 55000 kms and even though I recently bought a Gle 400d the X3 is my daily driver for its sedan like ride. I intend to keep her for at least another 3-4 years.

The new LCI looks fabulous and should serve you well for the next 6-8 years till your infant grows up and your parents will definitely thank you for a higher seating as they will only grow older. You can look up to the amazing ownership threads of SantoshBhat and Hayek for further information.

Cheers
Aravind
aravindrn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 12:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much difference of difference in ride can we see between a 20 Inch and a 19 Inch alloy wheels?
If most of your journeys are on good quality roads, you'll enjoy the 20's more. But sadly, that's often not the case in India. As you move from 19 incher's to 20's, you'll find that ride comfort is traded off a bit. There's also the added concern of the fragility of lower profile tires, and (possibly only slightly) higher tire costs when the time comes.

Quote:
Was checking the possibility of upgrading the 19 Inch alloys to 20 Inch but for this too he said it's not possible.
It's absolutely possible, it only needs intent from the dealer's side. Quite possibly they don't have it in stock or aren't willing to source it.

You could always check with a dealer in a larger city, like Bombay or Bangalore, to source the 20's. But then, there's the hassle of paying them in full, finding a buyer for your 19's at the right price, and ensuring it's all taken care of before you take possession of the new car.

My advice: Stick with the stock wheels. It's the easiest thing to change in the aftermarket, and definitely don't go with 20's. Too many downsides, not enough upsides.
iliketurtles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 20:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindrn View Post
Hi Goku,

I have been driving an X3 2.0d for the last 5.5 years. Similar to you I had started out on buying a BMW sedan but had to give up all hopes immediately due to the state of Bangalore roads. Even though my parents/in laws don't stay with me, I had to consider the low seating in sedans due to them. I have done numerous Bangalore - Coimbatore, Bangalore - Coorg/Chikamagalur, Bangalore - Kodaikanal drives in the X3. The car is an absolute hoot to drive and it has the least body roll amongst all SUVs in that price range and the sport mode is great in the highways/ghats. Also in terms of maintenance , with the BRI and BSI packages, all I had to do was fill fuel and drive.

Regarding the rear bench space, I have found both my parents/in laws ( all with a maximum height of 5'7") have had no complaints for 8-9 hour drives also. Even with the tunnel, rear space should be good enough for 2 adults and a 10 year old kid for long drives. The only negative is the slightly stiffer ride quality due to the run flats but i didnt want to have a space saver in the boot due to the luggage we carry when we travel in the highways and didn't want to compromise on the safety.

My car has done 55000 kms and even though I recently bought a Gle 400d the X3 is my daily driver for its sedan like ride. I intend to keep her for at least another 3-4 years.

The new LCI looks fabulous and should serve you well for the next 6-8 years till your infant grows up and your parents will definitely thank you for a higher seating as they will only grow older. You can look up to the amazing ownership threads of SantoshBhat and Hayek for further information.

Cheers
Aravind
This reassurance my consideration for X3 . I am yet to take a test drive on the LCI but I feel there won't be much of a change in the ride as most of the mechanics remains the same. I had a chance to test how the car feels when occupied by Parents, wife and child there was no complaints from any one rather a smile from my parents for the easy ingress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
If most of your journeys are on good quality roads, you'll enjoy the 20's more. But sadly, that's often not the case in India. As you move from 19 incher's to 20's, you'll find that ride comfort is traded off a bit. There's also the added concern of the fragility of lower profile tires, and (possibly only slightly) higher tire costs when the time comes.

It's absolutely possible, it only needs intent from the dealer's side. Quite possibly they don't have it in stock or aren't willing to source it.

You could always check with a dealer in a larger city, like Bombay or Bangalore, to source the 20's. But then, there's the hassle of paying them in full, finding a buyer for your 19's at the right price, and ensuring it's all taken care of before you take possession of the new car.

My advice: Stick with the stock wheels. It's the easiest thing to change in the aftermarket, and definitely don't go with 20's. Too many downsides, not enough upsides.
Will stick with the stocks for sometime as I do not want to have the hassle of selling the old one's before even enjoying the ride with peace for sometime.

My confusion still broadens and puts me in a spot after today's visit to the showroom. To my pleasant surprise, I was informed that BMW has stopped shipping new cars with a Wireless charging pad and Heads up display. Though these two may not be big, a car costing nearly a crore missing out on these features makes me think should I wait for some more time.

I have tested it in the new X3 where the charging pad was not working and they confirmed that no new cars are equipped with these 2 features. Was shocked when he suggested charging the 5 series display key with cables further stating that no one prefers a wireless charging pad which I do not agree with.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th January 2022 at 22:53. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
Old 18th January 2022, 21:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help me with my conundrum on choosing the right Bimmer | BMW 3-Series vs 5-Series vs X3

I think there are two very well maintained TN reg bmw cars on team bhp classifieds. 530i and X3 2d. Worth considering. TN roads really good and you can manage a sedan - rare underbody speed breaker scrapes are harmless. Just don't go over large stones and you will do just fine.

Your shortlist is pretty focused already, just go with your gut feeling after test driving with full family.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 21:23   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help me with my conundrum on choosing the right Bimmer | BMW 3-Series vs 5-Series vs X3

Agree fully that you should test drive both options back to back and then decide what you prefer.

Why did I pick an X3 rather than a 5 series? It actually boiled down to rear seat knee room. In my driving position, my knees pressed against the rear of the driver’s seat in the 5 series (F-10, not current generation), while in the X3, I did not face the same problem. I realised when I bought the X3 that my son is likely to be tall (he is already almost 5’10 at 14) and wanted to ensure that he will be comfortable in the rear seat. The 5 series does have better front seats and more under thigh support in the rear seat than the X3, so if your family is a little shorter than mine, the 5 may be a better choice. The other advantage of the X3 was boot space - in the previous generation, where the spare tyre was placed on the boot floor, the X3 offered more practicality than the 5 series. Both these factors may be different in the current generation, so do test it for yourself. I also think that the xDrive and adaptive suspension add some value - though the extent of benefit from that could be debated.

And finally, the greater ground clearance of the X3 does provide a marginal benefit on those 4-5 days in a year when Bombay floods. Without being reckless, the X3 does make a difference between driving through minor floods instead of parking and wading on foot.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 23:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I have tested it in the new X3 where the charging pad was not working and they confirmed that no new cars are equipped with these 2 features. Was shocked when he suggested charging the 5 series display key with cables further stating that no one prefers a wireless charging pad which I do not agree with.
Being a 2021 X3 owner, I fully concur with him on the uselessness of wireless charging pad. It charges too slow, heats up the phone in no time and thus resulting in annoying audio stutters. Don't attach too much weight on it.
CosmicWizard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 12:12   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Goku, I think for your requirement the X3 Lci is perfect. A family of 6 and single car use case. The Lci is a fresh car and you will love it. Don’t bother about the wireless charges pad as it is a useless thing which charges extremely slow and heats up the phone. I stopped using it since a long time. Even the display key is not worth it after the initial euphoria is over. Wishing you many happy miles with your new car.
robimahanta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 15:42   #14
BHPian

Since you are planning to keep your vehicle for a long time, I would suggest the newly launched X3 Lci. The actual use of few-(lots)-features offered by an automobile company falls under the 'rarely-used' category. Both the 5 series and 3 series offer a very good driving quality but, when practicality or having elders is around, I have always found SUVs to be good.

My money would be on X3 Lci.
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 16:09   #15
BHPian

Hi Goku, its a fantastic situation to be in to upgrade to a mid size luxury car.

COVID or not, the situation is skewed heavily in favour of the manufacturers with the ever increasing prices and non-existent discounts. In this situation, the best bet would be the X3 LCI given its the freshest in the market. But it will also be the priciest and will make you up your budget by another 20L.

As far as I understand from some contacts at Kun (Chennai), the pricing will revise with the 330Li m-sport starting at 68L OTR and the 530i m-sport starting at 80L OTR. The X3 30i m-sport is also expected at an OTR 84-85L. Discounts are not expected to cross 2L because its only offered at the dealer level with no support from the manufacturer.

Good luck and hope you update this thread with your decision. Will be following this thread and hope to follow suit soon!
clementj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed