Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2007, 16:46   #1
BHPian

Which car?

I am a car enthusiast but I am confused which car to buy. I live by the sea and hence i need a car that does not fall prey to the saltish breeze and then rust. Also i need very good ground clearence as I love to explore new outdoor locations. I need amazing acceleration, handling and braking ability. I cannot compromise on active and passive safety features. Comfort & space is also a requirement for two passengers. I have heard GM cars are made from different steel i.e. first grade steel compared to all other manufacturers who use recycles steel, hence I have noticed their cars dont rust as quickly at marutis or hondas in my building. That way even skodas & fiats last long. Seems mostly european cars are the longest lasting. Fuel efficiency is also important, but can be ofset by installing cng. Id centerd on the BMW X3, but wanted to know is there any cheaper option I have? Budget is not a major question as the bottom line is what is the cheapest car available that will satisfy these requirements. And yes it should have Automatic transmission wiht ABS,EBD,TC,SLIPP DIFFERENTIAL,AIRBAGS, 4WD,etc. Would love the pajero but it is made from recycled steel again. And yes i need it to be as compact as possible for urban usage too. Something that can live throught he mumbai floods too yet perform well in a race, while jumping over the road divider.

Mod's Note: As informed earlier via PM, please format your posts to make them more readable. Huge paragraphs with lines after lines only make things difficult for others to read and understand your posts. Give proper breaks between sentences to make posts legible.

Last edited by Zappo : 19th July 2007 at 00:58.
Old 18th July 2007, 23:15   #2
BHPian

Marketing Head Ferrari oops I mean agent4ferrari, why don't u consider Porsche Cayenne. Since fuel efficiency is also one of your concerns, you can try installing CNG on it, as u already mentioned. I am sorry I couldn't think of a cheaper alternative to BMW X3.
Old 18th July 2007, 23:24   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent4ferrari View Post
Fuel efficiency is also important, but can be ofset by installing cng. Id centerd on the BMW X3, but wanted to know is there any cheaper option I have? Budget is not a major question as the bottom line is what is the cheapest car available that will satisfy these requirements.
Im afraid this is a very difficult quandry you have your self in. Help me understand you better. You want an X3, but you want to fit a CNG kit in it to save costs. Budget is not an issue, but you want the cheapest car avaialble. Sorry, im lost. And amused to be perfectly honest.
Old 18th July 2007, 23:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent4ferrari View Post
I am a car enthusiast but I am confused which car to buy. I live by the sea and hence i need a car that does not fall prey to the saltish breeze and then rust. Also i need very good ground clearence as I love to explore new outdoor locations. I need amazing acceleration, handling and braking ability. I cannot compromise on active and passive safety features. Comfort & space is also a requirement for two passengers. I have heard GM cars are made from different steel i.e. first grade steel compared to all other manufacturers who use recycles steel, hence I have noticed their cars dont rust as quickly at marutis or hondas in my building. That way even skodas & fiats last long. Seems mostly european cars are the longest lasting. Fuel efficiency is also important, but can be ofset by installing cng. Id centerd on the BMW X3, but wanted to know is there any cheaper option I have? Budget is not a major question as the bottom line is what is the cheapest car available that will satisfy these requirements. And yes it should have Automatic transmission wiht ABS,EBD,TC,SLIPP DIFFERENTIAL,AIRBAGS, 4WD,etc. Would love the pajero but it is made from recycled steel again. And yes i need it to be as compact as possible for urban usage too. Something that can live throught he mumbai floods too yet perform well in a race, while jumping over the road divider.
Thats a lot to ask from a car, and from us. Reading such a whole para at a strecth is hard.

i dont have first hand experience with such high end cars.
For all those willing to help him. The requirements have been given in bold.

EDIT: will point out the requirements.
1. a car that does not fall prey to the saltish breeze and then rust.
2. very good ground clearence
3. amazing acceleration, handling and braking ability
4. passive safety features.
5. Comfort & space
6. Fuel efficiency is also important, but can be ofset by installing cng.
7. Budget is not a major question
8. Automatic transmission wiht ABS,EBD,TC,SLIPP DIFFERENTIAL,AIRBAGS, 4WD

BMW X3 is first choice, but he is willing to take a cheaper option if all the requirements are satisfied.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th July 2007 at 23:37.
Old 18th July 2007, 23:33   #5
BHPian

In my brief stint in the forum so far, thought i was the most baffled guy in finalising my car. Glad to find one who has just bettered it
Old 19th July 2007, 00:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

You can go in for a Fiat Palio adventure.
Its built to last and will give you 10kmpl in city.
You can also fit in a LPG kit in it.
I am not sure about the price, but I am reasonably sure its cheaper than the X3 by quite some price.
If 10kmpl is too less the other option for you is a Indigo Marina diesel which can give you 15kmpl.
Old 19th July 2007, 00:57   #7
BHPian

A Hyundai Tucson? Other than the Auto tranny, should fulfill all requirements.
Old 19th July 2007, 01:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You can go in for a Fiat Palio adventure.
Its built to last and will give you 10kmpl in city.
You can also fit in a LPG kit in it.
I am not sure about the price, but I am reasonably sure its cheaper than the X3 by quite some price.
If 10kmpl is too less the other option for you is a Indigo Marina diesel which can give you 15kmpl.
But then I think he also wants a small compact 4-wheel drive that can also jump dividers and win a race (F1?). Will these cars satisfy his requirements?
Old 19th July 2007, 01:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

how about fusion ? does it still have the abs pack ? dunno about auto though
Old 19th July 2007, 01:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

How about the Mercedes M-Class? Power, safety and build quality, ground clearance all fine?
Old 19th July 2007, 01:23   #11
BHPian

Buy a Hummer H2 dude. Its "pretty" tough. It would return around 1 km/l, which mind you is quite reasonable .But if thats not good enough for you, you could consider going the CNG way.
Old 19th July 2007, 02:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
how about fusion ? does it still have the abs pack ? dunno about auto though
read this again bottle
Quote:

And yes it should have Automatic transmission wiht ABS,EBD,TC,SLIPP DIFFERENTIAL,AIRBAGS, 4WD,etc. Would love the pajero but it is made from recycled steel again
have you got one for that ?
Old 19th July 2007, 02:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

He is going BMW X3 and we are recommending Fiat Adventure!! No way, Pajero is made from recycled steel you say, is it the same with Montero. Well how about a Audi Q7?
Old 19th July 2007, 21:54   #14
BHPian

hey...theres this new car thats gnna be launched by a relatively new manufacturer...
its got a huge HUGE cabin space with 3 bathrooms (1 bedroom is optional tho) as well as 21 feet of ground clearance (which will make "jumping" over speedbreakers,cars,buses,short building easy) has a 3957 L engine pushing out bout 2852 horsepower... pretty decent power to weight (the wt mind u wud be pretty close to 15.2 tons tho)
and returns 17 kmpl!!!! (bout 23 w/o the bedroom option)
and yea! 5.24 L on road.

i'm sorry... but...u have waay too much to ask of from ONE car.
cheers tho..happy hunting...

Last edited by Rice_tuner : 19th July 2007 at 21:55.
Old 19th July 2007, 21:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Beemer X3 on CNG . I havent heard anything funnier than that for ages

Most Viewed