Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2022, 06:58   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: 60-lakh budget | Fun-to-drive upgrade from Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojas View Post
I’m in the market for a new car and need your advice before I take the plunge.
It’ll be for 2 adults and 2 kids. Medium sized cars are perfect as we are not very tall/big. City/highway split will be 70:30.
Mustered courage to go up to 60L
Brilliantly and clearly laid out analysis and ‘what car’ query. Makes it so easy for the forum to provide advise. A caveat - I know very little about the audio systems of these cars so my advise will not factor this aspect at all.

But from your stated parameters, I have zero hesitation in recommending the petrol BMW - the 330i M Sport, to be specific.
The Octavia will be no match to the puritan RWD of the BMW.
IMO, I would actually expect the BMW to be more reliable - it comes with great warranties and service packs too (although so does the Octavia).
The 330Li is also a great car (and the one I would pick for myself) but in your case I think the 330i does the job best.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 12:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My 2 paise (in random order):

2022 Sport is an especially good deal now that the infotainment and full digital displays are identical to the M Sport (i.e. with iDrive 7 + Android Auto & Apple CarPlay.)

M Sport bodykit and bumpers make it look more aggressive from front. However, I prefer my Sport's more sober looks and especially from the back.
Very useful, thanks. I like my cars a bit sober too. I had picked 1.6 over 1.6s in the past consciously and in hindsight it was a good decision for me. I think the Sport vs M Sport now is a similar choice to make.

For the upholstery my preference is beige. Do you think it'll be better than Black? Not sure what makes the black one feel not luxurious.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th February 2022 at 21:07. Reason: Please quote *ONLY* the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
Ojas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 14:22   #18
BHPian

BMWs have always been joyful to drive. Although I have driven someone's 2014 320D , The music system wasn't that great and neither was the rear seating. I do drive a 2015 S60. Although the drive of the BMW is better, the Volvo scores better in terms of music system, comfort, etc. You have driven a fiesta brought in 2010. Things have changed quite a bit in the past decade and I'm sure you're up to it. Skoda Octavia is a great car, but I've heard some stories about Skoda maintenance and parts. If you are spending so much, why not get a badge to go with it too? I'd say consider the 3-Series or S60. The C-Class and A4 (new one) rear seats aren't really that great. I haven't sat in the new 3, so can't say. But I have sat in the new A4 and C.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th February 2022 at 06:50. Reason: Punctuation
kratant is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th February 2022, 14:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For the upholstery my preference is beige. Do you think it'll be better than Black? Not sure what makes the black one feel not luxurious.
Depends partly on the exterior colour. I believe you have white, black and Mediterranean blue. Which are you tending towards? The Sensatec Beige interiors will go better with the black and the Med blue and less with the white.

My personal take on the black Sensatec is that it's not black enough + the stitching gets 'hidden', and thereby looks less luxurious than the beige. Quality is supposed to be the same though.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 15:04   #20
BHPian

Why 3 series?

When it comes to driving pleasure, RWD cars are much better (because every axle does one job and does it well. Front steers, Rear drives) and BMWs esp. have very good vehicle dynamic characteristics. And 3 series the world over is the benchmark for sports sedan and there is no denying. Of late, 3 series have become bigger than what they used to be, they are still driver's cars and no FWD sedans can come close, IMHO.

Why 330i and not 330Li?

Falls well within your budget and unlike a 330Li, the regular wheelbase is perfect to have good cornering and agile steering feedback. Longer the wheelbase more the steering behaviour is focussed on comfort. Smaller changes in steer angle will only yield a shorter response than a regular wheelbase version. Moreover 330Li is an afterthought (esp. made for chinese market and introduced to some other countries) than an evolutionary 330i design.

Why Sport and not Msport?

As your first premium sedan, it makes sense to go within your budget to start with and keep some wiggle room for BSI BRI packages and eventual maintenance/upkeep costs for the coming years. Also 18" wheels are not as comfortable as the 17" ones esp. on our Indian roads (or the lack thereof). Handling wise, it is not a compromise at all unless your driving is almost always on very good roads (which I don't think it is). Additionally, it will be a tad bit cheaper for 17" replacement set than an 18" set. Though the sports seats, ambient lighting etc. are very good features only available in Msport, you should decide for yourself if they are really worth the extra cost.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 9th February 2022 at 15:06.
carthick1000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 15:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:

My current ride is a Ford Fiesta SXI 1.6 Duratec, bought in 2010 and clocked around 1.2L kms.
330i: No TD vehicles available. There was a vehicle to be delivered in showroom, but could not test the music system as PDI was pending. Will find one soon to see or test drive.
Hey Ojas, didn't realise during our DMs that you were a Fiesta 1.6 owner too. I had one as a primary car for 60K Kms and it still does beater duty back in my village at 1.2L Kms. I loved that car to bits.

I know I told you 330Li is a great practical choice but looking at your requirements, just buy the 330i. Nothing else is even close. It's the perfect Fiesta 1.6 replacement - the kind of car that makes you fall in love over and over again for years to come.

The current gen Octavia is too soft and shouldn't be in this conversation. Neither should be the S60.
niranjanrvce is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 16:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
My current ride is a Ford Fiesta SXI 1.6 Duratec, bought in 2010 and clocked around 1.2L kms. Needless to say, it’s a driver’s delight...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
As a fellow ex-fiesta owner, I completely understand where you're coming from. Very few cars are able to live up to the joy of a driver's car the Fiesta was.
Slightly off-topic but I cannot agree more. My first car was the Fiesta 1.4 Duratorq and there are very few cars that can come close. It is one of the best handling cars that I have driven, and I have driven a Tesla Model S P100D and the Lexus CT200h (superb handler, highly under-rated).

Coming back to your original query, I resonate with most of the responses. A 3 series will perfectly suit your needs.
mohitchalla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 17:11   #23
BHPian

It may be slightly OT, but there is a preowned M3 as well at BBT. I remember this was listed for 55L on Olx sometime ago.
abtyagi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 17:29   #24

RWD vs FWD

Honestly, my advice would be not to get caught up with all the RWD and FWD buzz.

I used to worship RWD cars as unbeatable (And still do, but with more realistic expectations). I used to take every chance I could to drive my friend's 320d and my uncle's 325i, and it was RWD heaven.

I had a chance to get an Octavia RS245 last year, and I went for it, choosing it over the 330i. The 2 months between the booking and delivery were nerve wrecking as I and everyone around me were second guessing this decision to skip the 330i. This was all until I drove the RS245 for the first time. The way it handles is out of this world. I did not miss the beemers for a second. The E-LSD really transformed it, and It did not feel like a front wheel drive car at all. I had never felt confident to fully push a car to its limits ever before.

I do get that not all FWD cars are setup like the rs245 is. But having daily driven a 2008 fiesta CRDI, and a Laura TDi before this, the VRS smashed all the limits of what I thought a FWD car could make you feel.

But if you ask me, I'd get the 330i Sport if I was in your position. Would be good to switch it up and try RWD after enjoying The fiesta's FWD handling all these years.

Sorry for the long post but,
TL/DR - Don't get caught up with FWD vs RWD politics and go into a test drive with a bias or predetermined notion. Get what you feel is emotionally and financially right for you.

Cheers
viknb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 19:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I’m in the market for a new car and need your advice before I take the plunge.
As a 330Li Msport owner, Its no 3 series by any means. Its large and for owners who are 50% Chauffered around. It is soft and not that sporty. But still a perfect balance of being comfortable and being sporty. Octavia will be a sensible choice that you get 90% of what 330li offers at 60% of the price. The cons of buying a octavia are its too much beige inside, brand value not premium anymore and ASS. Please consider the Audi A4. Its a compact ( a bit too compact ) and quite enjoyable to drive too,has the brand value and with existing discounts not very far away from octavia but is much more premium and is a piece of cake to drive.

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th February 2022 at 19:39. Reason: Please Quote only relevant portion. Thanks
Arunsedanlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 22:03   #26

First of all thanks to everyone sharing their valuable inputs. I am considering buying the 3 series myself. Blown away by it after test driving it. I would have gone for the 330i sport or the m sport but there are really limited options for exterior colour and interior colour. Test drove the 330li m sport on the weekend, even though the power was all there did feel the soft suspension on turns. But the good thing about the 330li m sport is that they have the portimao blue exterior with cognac interiors that me and my wife both love and we loved the panaromic sunroof and the ambient lighting.

Seriously confused whether we should by the 330li m sport or wait for a few months to see if a 330i sport or m sport becomes available with our colours of choice. Would have never thought we would have this conundrum after planning to spend around Rs. 60 lacs.
daredevil731 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 08:03   #27
BHPian

Hi Ojas, while the 330i is an amazing car that ll fit your needs, you need not rule out the mercs without a test drive. Try out the GLA 35 AMG and the GLA 220d 4 matic before you finalize. I ve had a fiesta which I upgraded to a compass 2.0 diesel and now looking for an upgrade. After the drives, I find the new age GLA to be very good and practical. The AMG is a great car with an amazing interior. The dynamic modes and the active dampers transform the car for all types of situations and the performance is very strong. Even the 220d is very quick and chuckable in town and on the highways.
clementj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 12:53   #28
BHPian

Hi Ojas, I am a proud owner of a 330i MSport. I initially was looking to get the Sport variant which didn’t happen because of a mishap in the part transit. At that moment I had to go for the MSport. In retrospect I don’t regret it a bit. External changes aside. What MSport gives you is infront of you. The chunky steering you hold, the seat which grip you from the either side. A headliner which looks more premium, ambient lighting. Welcome carpet when you leave. If it’s an experience I would be having for the next decade it better be the best I can afford. This was my rationale.
NirDiwakar is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 17:53   #29
BHPian

The M340i. Not even the 330i, but the full fat M340i. The way a six cylinder responds to you flexing your foot is quite surreal, unlike what a four cylinder with a single scroll turbo pumps out. Its like Eric Clapton playing Layla, its just effortless and flows, bringing out emotions that you never knew, music could invoke. Sure, a decent guitarist with enough practice, could replicate the same, but it sure needed a lot more effort and time before the end product was deemed acceptable. Add that sumptuous 8 speed ZF gearbox to a machine, whose engineers were obsessed with an even weight distribution, we are now in the realms of a proper enthusiasts car. As you keep your cars for a long time, splurging that little extra will go a long way into ensuring that smile stays plastered as you push that car around your favourite stretch of tarmac. Cheers
Air_Kerala is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 01:29   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Kerala View Post
The M340i. Not even the 330i, but the full fat M340i.
That would be my choice as well if I have 60L to splurge and rear seat space isn’t a consideration. I would beg, borrow and steal for that 15L extra cash and get a 340i before EVs take over the future and kill such IC engines completely.

If 340i is out of reach then 330i would be my choice. As an ex Ford sedan owner, the Mondeo Duratec in my case, I wouldn’t look at anything other than a BMW from mass market luxury brands if driving pleasure is the primary criteria in choosing my next car.

Don’t even think about a Skoda for your needs. Skoda designed good cars a decade back but their new offerings have gone too soft. Their steering units literally feel like joysticks. After having used to Ford’s steering, especially if it was a hydraulic unit, you would hate it every time you drive if you get a car with a joystick.

Last edited by novice : 11th February 2022 at 01:34.
novice is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks