Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2022, 18:57   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Just a thought: I personally feel that the reason for the token is to ensure the dealer gets his commission.
Since this car is being sold on commission basis according to one of the posts, as compared to having been bought by the dealer - the dealer is probably asking for a token to ensure the sale is routed through him as opposed to Jangra getting the current owners information from the service history and striking a deal directly.
lamborghini is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 19:21   #17
BHPian

Yes it is on 2% commission basis which dealer mentioned to me atleast 3 times. Thank you all for your advise, three things for sure I will act -
1- I wont be giving any token until PPI is done. At the most - a post dated cheque with the agreement of handing me back if I cancel my decision of purchase.
2 - Find out if this is a TD car. There were 3 service done logs in the service history of infotainment - one at 500 odo, 2nd at 6k and 3rd at 12k. If the 500 odo is post June-2019, fair to assume it is not a TD car
3- Find out why warranty expires at 3.5 years of purchase. Should have been either 3 OR 4.
Jangra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 20:29   #18
BHPian

Thank you all.

I checked out another 530d today - 5 yr old 23k on odo but it was abused badly with scratches on alloys and interiors in very bad shape with rear A/C vents broken, stains on dash (my Civic was in much better shape when I sold at 9+ yrs). I dont know why anyone can keep such a nice car like that - blasphemy IMO. Also the ad wrongly quoted mileage in miles - so it has run ~1.5 times more actually. Beware of such things.

The previous one I saw was absolutely in mint condition. Cant say worshipped yet without checking service records. Will do tomorrow and update.

Thanks for all the valuable info and advice as always ��
mkc15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 20:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
Yes it is on 2% commission basis which dealer mentioned to me atleast 3 times. Thank you all for your advise, three things for sure I will act -
1- I wont be giving any token until PPI is done. At the most - a post dated cheque with the agreement of handing me back if I cancel my decision of purchase.
2 - Find out if this is a TD car. There were 3 service done logs in the service history of infotainment - one at 500 odo, 2nd at 6k and 3rd at 12k. If the 500 odo is post June-2019, fair to assume it is not a TD car
3- Find out why warranty expires at 3.5 years of purchase. Should have been either 3 OR 4.
Goodluck. Did you check the condition of the tires and their age?
mkc15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 21:16   #20
BHPian

Yes I did. It’s stock, so I’m sure will need a change in another 5k kms. Good luck to you too on your search. ��
Jangra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 21:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Thank you all.

I checked out another 530d today - 5 yr old 23k on odo but it was abused badly with scratches on alloys and interiors in very bad shape with rear A/C vents broken, stains on dash (my Civic was in much better shape when I sold at 9+ yrs). I dont know why anyone can keep such a nice car like that - blasphemy IMO. Also the ad wrongly quoted mileage in miles - so it has run ~1.5 times more actually. Beware of such things.

The previous one I saw was absolutely in mint condition. Cant say worshipped yet without checking service records. Will do tomorrow and update.

Thanks for all the valuable info and advice as always ��
I checked out couple of F10 and G30 530d’s over the past few weeks. It’s likely that we both saw same cars. A 2017 black today and a 2015 white about two weeks back. The black one wasn’t in good shape cosmetically, also it had severe brake judder under hard braking. The white one was good but the owner advertised the odo reading in miles as KMs. He revealed that only when I made it clear that I would be checking the service history with the dealer. I dropped that car the moment I realised the dubiousness.

I also saw a 2018 model 530d yesterday. It drove well but the interiors were looking like that of 10 year old car. In fact my 10 year old car’s interior is in far better shape than that 3 year old car. I can’t believe how badly people abuse their expensive cars.

Another thing I noticed is most cars are listed with ODO reading in miles.

Last edited by novice : 6th February 2022 at 21:35.
novice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 21:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
2015 white about two weeks back.
Perhaps same. Did that have red/brown upholstery? The one I saw was in kms.

Also, one thing I didnt like in 5-series (also similar in 3-GT) is the quality of plastic in A/C air-vents. Its below par for a car of this segment.
mkc15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 12:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps same. Did that have red/brown upholstery? The one I saw was in kms.
Yes, it had brown interior. Your description of the white car sounds very similar to the one I saw. Please do check the ODO reading again.

Checked out quite a few BMW's (both F10 and G30) in the past few months but I haven't come across a single car that hadn't been abused. Most had poor paint quality, dirty interiors with scratches all over the trims. But surprisingly, most Merc E's I saw were in spotless condition. I am bit confused. I thought only those with at least some level of enthusiasm for driving buy BMW's. Then why most BMW's are in such bad shape? I beginning to wonder if BMW's aren't built to last like Mercs.

PS: The very few good ones I came across are priced exorbitantly, close to their Ex-showroom price. They are 3+ year old with no warranty.

Last edited by novice : 7th February 2022 at 12:25.
novice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 15:41   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
I beginning to wonder if BMW's aren't built to last like Mercs.
Between our 2 BMWs & 2 Mercedes ownership I am a little more comfortable with the BMW build - especially on the newer models.
I think it's more to do with the 530D being an 'enthusiast' vehicle as compared to the 5 / E which may see more chauffeur driven usage.

While most enthusiast's would take care of their vehicle and hold on to it for a long time; a lot of other 'enthusiasts' just want a quick car to enjoy and sell.

On the other hand, the E and maybe even the 520D would be more chauffeur driven as compared to self driven - and the sethji in the back would prefer a relaxed, bump free drive.
I've seen this in Mumbai too : chauffeur driven Germans are the least likely to cut you off / abuse the vehicle / honk unnecessarily while the owner is in the car and the owner is more likely to have an experienced hand behind the wheel at a premium salary to the market.
lamborghini is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 16:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
This thread is so well written and constantly updated with good information. Thanks GTO et-all for all the valuable updates.
I'm currently jumping from one chain of thought to another. Around last December, I almost closed on Kodiaq, then thought that Kodiaq = Tiguan + 7 years of fuel (my running is 10k per year), so booked a Tiguan. All of a sudden last night I thought of browsing for pre-worshipped G30 530D and found a few but one caught my attention. A Grey 2019 M Sport 530D, with 17k on the ODO, warranty till June 2023 and no BSI quoting 56L.
Now this one seriously is a heart over head decision. I always bought a new car that saved me all the "What if" thoughts. Neither I know about every nitty-gritty's that one drive can tell me how it is and hence the cold feet. But, if I negotiate this right, this one will be costing me 65% of the new one.
I "almost" can afford this car, and can certainly pay 1-1.5L per year if it is this one. And that special feeling of owning a car I always wanted!

Couple questions -
1. Your 2 cents on my thought process
2. Shall I just tell the dealer that I want to get this car inspected by Navnit motors? And do I have to mention anything specific to the BMW service advisor of what I want to get done?
3. If I call the current insurance of that car, will they just let me know if there were any big claims? I mean, why will they?
(My apologies if these questions are answered somewhere)

PS: One thing I like about pre-2020 models are "no speed warnings", which in BMWs are very loud, equally annoying in other cars. Is it just me?
Been there and done that. My opinion will be different from most here and purely coming out of your statement that you "ALMOST" can afford it. See the thing is for a car enthusiast, its always heart over head but once you are done doing what your heart demanded and reality sets in, you just may start scratching your head. You know your financials better. Jumping from kodiaq, Tiguan to 5 series is always very tempting but trust me, when traveling along with family, you may get different feedback than what you expect in terms of comfort, specially when you are exercising your right leg.

Not to forget following:
1) service costs of 530d vs VW
2) insurance costs
3) Alloy + Tyre costs
4) Higher monthly EMIs (i.e. if you are financing)

Afterall, you are investing in a depreciating asset. Again, as I mentioned you know your finances better. If 50 lac doesnt put a hole in the pocket, there is no better car to buy. From the car perspective, there is no comparison, in terms of build quality, brand value, NVH levels and finally pure driving pleasure. Just go for it.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 18:11   #26
BHPian

Thanks man - @Mission_PGPX. Loved ones around me are of the opinion that the itch of luxury could wait for another couple years. And to top it all, my conversation with the dealer is not helping to make the decision.

1- Dealer wants the NEFT of token before PPI
2- Negotiation is not going as for my liking, Yes I know its a sellers market

Re: if it is a TD car, Car was purchased in June-2019 and the first service record is registered in idrive as of 31-May-19 done @ 302kms which is claimed to be a PDI - Could it be a TD car?

Re: the gap in insurance June vs Nov, per dealer, he mentioned that the owner did not renew during pandemic and it is a common traits of HNI client

Dealer is very sure there is nothing that will come out of ordinary in PPI and also is happy to take the car to ASC at my cost which gives me a bit of a confidence but not enough yet to seal the deal. Of course PPI is post the final agreed price which is still under discussions.
Jangra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 18:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man - @Mission_PGPX. Loved ones around me are of the opinion that the itch of luxury could wait for another couple years. And to top it all, my conversation with the dealer is not helping to make the decision.

1- Dealer wants the NEFT of token before PPI
2- Negotiation is not going as for my liking, Yes I know its a sellers market

Re: if it is a TD car, Car was purchased in June-2019 and the first service record is registered in idrive as of 31-May-19 done @ 302kms which is claimed to be a PDI - Could it be a TD car?

Re: the gap in insurance June vs Nov, per dealer, he mentioned that the owner did not renew during pandemic and it is a common traits of HNI client

Dealer is very sure there is nothing that will come out of ordinary in PPI and also is happy to take the car to ASC at my cost which gives me a bit of a confidence but not enough yet to seal the deal. Of course PPI is post the final agreed price which is still under discussions.
Don't pay even a penny to the dealer till you get all your doubts clarified. It is not at all a seller's market. Don't make it one, it is your hard earned money.

I was scouting for a used fortuner and came across a decent looking 2017 model in OLX. I paid a visit to the dealer. The vehicle was in good condition. But some red flags arouse my attention. One tyre was bald on the outside compared to other three. Front bumper clips are disjointed on the same side. The dealer was doing all smooth talk like it is an alignment issue. But I knew an attentive owner won't let that happen in a premium SUV.

So i asked for the RC and insurance copy. He was just casually showing me those in his moble and blabbering all is good and he has checked everything. Pay the advance and he can take me to Toyota for service record inspection. I grabbed the mobile in a friendly manner and parsed through the insurance. It had a accidental claim with zero NCB. All this while he was claiming that the vehicle is accident free. Now he changed tone to 'a minor accident might have happened'. Things were crystal clear that the car might have had a major side impact which was repaired under insurance. Bumper misalignment and tyre balding, all may be due to that. The owner just renewed the insurance in Nov and is trying to palm it off.

So if you have even an iota of doubt, walk away. Particularly if you are making a premium purchase.

Last edited by poloman : 7th February 2022 at 18:40.
poloman is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 19:11   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

@Jangra, you are in Mumbai known for good supply of such cars. Just wait for the right car and also for the right seller. You will only get wiser after each failed attempt. There is no such thing as sellers market - the guy with the cash is the king. Enjoy the hunt - it's a journey of self discovery in itself.
androdev is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 07:09   #29
Team-BHP Support

re: Buying a used BMW 5-Series (G30)

Buying a used BMW 530d (G30) - Posts moved to a new thread.

Last edited by GTO : 9th February 2022 at 07:31.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 09:57   #30
BHPian

If this is the white 2014 530d KA50P8484 and claimed single owner? Which might not be the case as it has an NOC to KA04 RTO in 2018, so suspect has changed hands without update in registration.

Quote:
Hi All,

I saw a 40k/7yr old 530d for 30L. Physically it seems to be in very good condition (a couple of very minor dents on body and a couple of scratches on alloys, interiors in excellent condition). As per owner (yet to validate service records) it has been very uneventful and only periodic service. My worry is, if all this is true, would parts start failing from now (as its 7 years already) during my ownership (planning for the next 3-5 years). I know used-car would come with that risk and Im ok to byte it but want to evaluate the likelihood and the extent. Thank you.
AirWind is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks