Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2022, 18:55   #1
BHPian

Buying a used BMW 5-Series (G30)

This thread is so well written and constantly updated with good information. Thanks GTO et-all for all the valuable updates.
I'm currently jumping from one chain of thought to another. Around last December, I almost closed on Kodiaq, then thought that Kodiaq = Tiguan + 7 years of fuel (my running is 10k per year), so booked a Tiguan. All of a sudden last night I thought of browsing for pre-worshipped G30 530D and found a few but one caught my attention. A Grey 2019 M Sport 530D, with 17k on the ODO, warranty till June 2023 and no BSI quoting 56L.
Now this one seriously is a heart over head decision. I always bought a new car that saved me all the "What if" thoughts. Neither I know about every nitty-gritty's that one drive can tell me how it is and hence the cold feet. But, if I negotiate this right, this one will be costing me 65% of the new one.
I "almost" can afford this car, and can certainly pay 1-1.5L per year if it is this one. And that special feeling of owning a car I always wanted!

Couple questions -
1. Your 2 cents on my thought process
2. Shall I just tell the dealer that I want to get this car inspected by Navnit motors? And do I have to mention anything specific to the BMW service advisor of what I want to get done?
3. If I call the current insurance of that car, will they just let me know if there were any big claims? I mean, why will they?
(My apologies if these questions are answered somewhere)

PS: One thing I like about pre-2020 models are "no speed warnings", which in BMWs are very loud, equally annoying in other cars. Is it just me?

Last edited by Jangra : 3rd February 2022 at 19:01.
Jangra is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 18:20   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
A Grey 2019 M Sport 530D, with 17k on the ODO, warranty till June 2023 and no BSI quoting 56L.
An almost brand new car. With the warranty, your risk is zero. Follow our used car checklist (including service history, checking past insurance claims etc.) and you should be all set.

Quote:
Shall I just tell the dealer that I want to get this car inspected by Navnit motors? And do I have to mention anything specific to the BMW service advisor of what I want to get done?
Just tell them you want to get a pre-purchase inspection done, at your cost. That shows seriousness. But agree on price first with the dealer.

Quote:
If I call the current insurance of that car, will they just let me know if there were any big claims? I mean, why will they?
Depends on your convincing skills. Or you can ask your insurance broker to get the information. That's what I did.

Quote:
One thing I like about pre-2020 models are "no speed warnings", which in BMWs are very loud, equally annoying in other cars. Is it just me?
Takes 5 minutes to remove via coding.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 18:41   #3
BHPian

Thank you GTO. Really helpful

Here is the link of the car I like, wish it was Blue, but feel Grey does the justice as well https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...&rk=5&isP=true
Jangra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 18:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
A Grey 2019 M Sport 530D, with 17k on the ODO, warranty till June 2023 and no BSI quoting 56L.
A 2018 model year grey color 530d with warranty and 14k kms on the odo is on sale in Bangalore for 65 lakhs. That's 9lakhs more than the car you are considering and it is 1 year older as well. I would be happy to grab that car for 56L if it's in Bangalore.
novice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 08:16   #5
BHPian

Hi All,

I saw a 40k/7yr old 530d for 30L. Physically it seems to be in very good condition (a couple of very minor dents on body and a couple of scratches on alloys, interiors in excellent condition). As per owner (yet to validate service records) it has been very uneventful and only periodic service. My worry is, if all this is true, would parts start failing from now (as its 7 years already) during my ownership (planning for the next 3-5 years). I know used-car would come with that risk and Im ok to byte it but want to evaluate the likelihood and the extent. Thank you.

Last edited by mkc15 : 6th February 2022 at 08:20.
mkc15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 11:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
I saw a 40k/7yr old 530d for 30L. As per owner (yet to validate service records) it has been very uneventful and only periodic service.
Very difficult to believe Many things on these Germans just fail due to age or the product design/ quality. As an example, most Air suspensions on 7 or X5 will last maximum 5 Years. They will go bad without any reasons.

On the 5, since many components are mechanical, such failures will be less but I am sure, there must be some replacements. You have to be very careful while checking the service records, on newer iDrives, this information is also available in the car. As an example, due to my usage, most of my cars are with very low mileage but I never miss the service. But there are some knowns with similar driving and they are ok for an oil change after 18 months or 24 months citing non-usage. So you have to correlate mileage with service very carefully.

Get complete car checked from the Dealership and ask them list of work that needs to be done. What all can go wrong in the car is difficult to predict, best will be to factor around 2-3 lac per Year for such eventualities.
Turbanator is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 12:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Very difficult to believe Many things on these Germans just fail due to age or the product design/ quality. As an example, most Air suspensions on 7 or X5 will last maximum 5 Years. They will go bad without any reasons.

On the 5, since many components are mechanical, such failures will be less but I am sure, there must be some replacements. You have to be very careful while checking the service records, on newer iDrives, this information is also available in the car. As an example, due to my usage, most of my cars are with very low mileage but I never miss the service. But there are some knowns with similar driving and they are ok for an oil change after 18 months or 24 months citing non-usage. So you have to correlate mileage with service very carefully.

Get complete car checked from the Dealership and ask them list of work that needs to be done. What all can go wrong in the car is difficult to predict, best will be to factor around 2-3 lac per Year for such eventualities.
Thanks. Yes, hard to believe. Even if its true its a problem for me :-) parts failing would be more imminent.

If I decide on this, will get an inspection done at Navnit before proceeding. Is the service record stored in the car reliable? I mean is it something thats totally manual, entered by service centre or is it part of standard replacement procedure? (assuming something like disabling a part or getting into service mode etc)
mkc15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 14:37   #8
BHPian

I took the TD of the car I mentioned yesterday, it felt tight and unaltered. Oh boy! the power kept me . Though Bandra Kurla was busy and couldn't get a long empty stretch, but was enough to understand why GTO is so impressed with this machine. All electronics worked as expected. Two observations were -
1) 2 inch dent on the left side front bumper just below the headlamps
2) Scuff mark on the left headlight which the dealer mentioned is on top of PPF
Guess they are not deal breakers.

Car comes with zero dep insurance expiring in Nov-22
Warranty was incorrectly claimed to be expiring in Jun-23, correct one is Dec-22.
Car was purchased and registered in June-19, but manufactured month is Dec-18

Question - Any idea how much $ for extending the warranty beyond Dec-22, for 1, 2 OR 3 years?

Decision making begins...

Quote:
Is the service record stored in the car reliable?
I'm also interested to know this
Jangra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 15:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I saw a 40k/7yr old 530d for 30L. As per owner (yet to validate service records) it has been very uneventful and only periodic service. My worry is, if all this is true, would parts start failing from now (as its 7 years already) during my ownership (planning for the next 3-5 years). I know used-car would come with that risk and Im ok to byte it but want to evaluate the likelihood and the extent. Thank you.
I personally believe that If the car has been reliable and properly maintained, it should continue being so. Although there are the odd exceptions to the above statement, most lemons start showing issues much earlier.
That being said, as Turbonator mentioned : it is important to keep a decent chunk of money aside for maintenance as you will see wear and tear parts + rubber components (beadings, mounts, belts etc.) starting to give way slowly over time.

Quote:

Car comes with zero dep insurance expiring in Nov-22
Warranty was incorrectly claimed to be expiring in Jun-23, correct one is Dec-22.
Car was purchased and registered in June-19, but manufactured month is Dec-18
This part is a little suspect.
Ideally warranty starts from day of delivery, not day of manufacture. Similarly why does the insurance expire in Nov if the vehicle was bought in June?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was an unregistered TD vehicle which was later on sold to the 'first owner' as this is common place with many manufacturers.

Do have it inspected at an authorized workshop, and if you have a connect with a service advisor through a friend : enquire about this Dec 2018 - June 2019 gap. They will also help with extending the BRI.

Quote:

If I decide on this, will get an inspection done at Navnit before proceeding. Is the service record stored in the car reliable?
The on board service record is generally reliable, but may not cover all the visits and part replacements. On our F30 it shows the oil change services, but visits to say fix rattles and other niggles / issues aren't visible. Hence along with a pre purchase inspection at Navnit, also go through the full detailed service history while at the service center.
lamborghini is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 15:53   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I took the TD of the car I mentioned yesterday, it felt tight and unaltered.

Question - Any idea how much $ for extending the warranty beyond Dec-22, for 1, 2 OR 3 years?
Please just call and ask BMW this right? Easiest.

ALso, on service records, BMW maintains these centrally. I would recommend you do a paid inspection with them so you are completely sure.

On a side note, this deal can be closed for less than 50L. Its kept by the dealer on 2% commission basis (ie. not purchased by him but selling for owner on commission basis). I think your deal could be closed within 50L including the commission plus whatever it costs for the extended warranty, which I highly recommend you should get.

This sounds like a great deal for a 6 cylinder 5 series. I’d say go for it if you don’t come across any red flags.

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th February 2022 at 15:54.
Axe77 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 16:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Ideally warranty starts from day of delivery, not day of manufacture. Similarly why does the insurance expire in Nov if the vehicle was bought in June?
I wouldn't be surprised if it was an unregistered TD vehicle which was later on sold to the 'first owner' as this is common place with many manufacturers.
I asked the dealer to check the gap in warranty. Response is "as per buyer, it is Jun-23, however when dealer checked with BMW, it is Dec-22" they are asking me to validate when I get the PPI done - Of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Please just call and ask BMW this right? Easiest.

ALso, on service records, BMW maintains these centrally. I would recommend you do a paid inspection with them so you are completely sure.

On a side note, this deal can be closed for less than 50L. Its kept by the dealer on 2% commission basis (ie. not purchased by him but selling for owner on commission basis). I think your deal could be closed within 50L including the commission plus whatever it costs for the extended warranty, which I highly recommend you should get.

This sounds like a great deal for a 6 cylinder 5 series. I’d say go for it if you don’t come across any red flags.
Thank you for your take on the closing price. I will try for it.
Dealer is asking for 2lac token before I get the PPI done and is refundable in case any red alert during PPI - part of decision making thought process. Never bought a pre-worshipped car and going for something as luxurious and expensive is my first time. I for sure will go for maximum extended warranty in case I bite this bullet.
Jangra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 16:31   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Ideally warranty starts from day of delivery, not day of manufacture.

Correct, looks like a demo car and should be avoided. Can be checked with the dealership who sold the car or by just looking at the invoice value.

Service info is stored in the car but as pointed, not all records are available in the car. If almost decided on the car, it will be a good idea to get the VIN checked before paying advance. A quick visit to the service centre can help. They may not entertain straight way but if explained to someone senior, they usually help.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th February 2022 at 16:35.
Turbanator is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 16:37   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dealer is asking for 2lac token before I get the PPI done and is refundable in case any red alert during PPI - part of decision making thought process.
Negotiate and close on pricing first assuming the car is as shown.
Once you'll have agreed on price, discuss with dealer to give a cheque of a suitable token (not RTGS) only if needed even though you'll be paying for PPI and a letter stating the amount is given as a token and the same will be returned should the deal not go through.
They want security that you're a serious buyer, but if they do ask for token it's better to give a cheque or so which can be returned (not deposited) instantly rather than chasing them for a refund.
lamborghini is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 17:52   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't pay a deposit or post dated cheque. You are already paying for PPI which shows your genuine interest. You can other means to establish you are a legit prospect - your profession, address, other cars you own, referral etc can convince the dealer that you should be taken seriously. Give your offer to the dealer and tell him that the offer is subject to getting a clean report from the A S.C. Don't part with your money before everything is wrapped up. Being paranoid is not only ok, it's very much required. Don't entertain any fear of losing a great deal. It's very simple: a car that is registered soon after manufacturing and having all the scheduled service history (nothing more, nothing less) is a bare minimum requirement if you don't want to roll the dice. I tell the people that I am only looking for a fair depreciation discount and nothing more. I am happy to be the highest bidder for a clean car.
androdev is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 18:22   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dealer is asking for 2lac token before I get the PPI done and is refundable in case any red alert during PPI - part of decision making thought process. Never bought a pre-worshipped car. I for sure will go for maximum extended warranty in case I bite this bullet.
Best of luck. Agree with those who say that a ₹ 2 l token seems a bit much especially if you are paying for the PPI. I suspect that they won’t find other parties willing to pay that either - so do be firm on that.

Would not be unnecessarily worried about the difference between registration date and manufacturing date - my X3 is manufactured in September 2016 and registered in January 2017 - not the same number of months but not negligible either. Agree the warranty and insurance dates seem odd - do check on that.
Hayek is online now   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed