Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2022, 13:12   #1

BMW 6-Series GT vs Mercedes C-Class vs Volvo XC60 vs Discovery Sport

Hello All,

Some context and background. We have currently 3 cars in the family. A 2010 Corolla Altis, a Honda City 2016 and a BMW X1 2019.

The BMW X1 is driven by my brother and after having used it myself for a while I felt compelled to upgrade to a luxury car for myself as well, as they are a pleasure to drive and be in compared to our Japanese, Korean and Indian friends.

Requirements:
Luxury Segment.
Running: 20% highway running and 80% within the City.
Type: SUV and Sedan
Comfortable for 5 at the back
A pleasure to Drive as well as sit at the back
A long term buy - We usually keep cars at least for 7 years, mostly up to 10
Preference for Petrol over Diesel

Concerns: Will the car be useable for 8-10 years considering the upcoming EVs

When we started looking at different cars the biggest hurdle I encountered was my own price expectation. We had got such a sweet deal when we purchased the X1 Petrol (BS4) in 2019 that everything now felt too overpriced. The current X1 is nearly 40% more costly if I were to purchase the same specs today.

It took me a few months to come to terms that this was the new market where discounts are nearly non-existent.

The cars that we shortlisted and considered:

1. XC40 - Great car. Love the tech, look feel etc but the rear seats are too upright. ADAS, Lane monitoring, emergency braking etc. are features that are not there in cars that are twice as expensive. Skipped over this car only due to rear-seat comfort.

2. BMW X3 - Simply not worth paying the 20 lakhs extra compared to an X1. I could barely feel a difference in the room, better interiors definitely.

3. Discovery Sport - The dealer had a 2019 model for display. Big car, felt very good. The interiors felt a bit dated. Concerns regarding maintenance and overall value of the car/brand over time.

4. Another option is to wait for the C-class W206 once it is launched around May. Mercedes is definitely aspirational and is expected to cost around 55 Lakhs ex-showroom.

5. BMW 6GT - This is definitely above the budget I started with but once I saw this car completely fell in love with it. The interiors, size, air suspension etc. are just top class. Disappointed to know that the MSport 630i misses out on the following features: 360 Deg Camera, Wireless charging, Laser lights, soft door closer. However this 'feels' like an investment worth making if I can use the car for 8-10 years.

6. XC60 - Yet to test drive. Looks good on paper but at a similar price to 6GT, tempted to go with a more renowned brand and model which is from a segment higher.

I would like inputs from the Team-bhp community to know their experience/suggestions regarding the above cars.

Also would like to know if it is realistic to expect to use these cars for 8 years considering the EV wave.
dash2385 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 14:22   #2
BHPian

re: BMW 6-Series GT vs Mercedes C-Class vs Volvo XC60 vs Discovery Sport

The 6GT feels like the ideal option to me here. It is very very luxurious and spacious even at the back, has an ample boot and interiors to die for. Being a BMW it will also be the most fun for you to drive. It's the best of both worlds in terms of space of an SUV and the drive and comfort of a sedan.

Another criteria is these cars are pretty much built like tanks, and will easily last you the 7-10 years you're looking for without much headache.

I'm not sure what the availability and price difference is like, and you did mention a preference for petrol over diesel; but do consider the 630d if it fits your budget. It might easily be the best diesel engine and gearbox to be sold in the country at the moment.
Porcupine is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 13:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
I'm not sure what the availability and price difference is like, and you did mention a preference for petrol over diesel; but do consider the 630d if it fits your budget. It might easily be the best diesel engine and gearbox to be sold in the country at the moment.
I appreciate the thought but the price difference between Petrol and Diesel where I intend to purchase from is nearly 12 lakhs or 15% which makes it quite prohibitive.
Old 26th March 2022, 14:55   #4
BHPian

The 630i has a wireless charger.

Just a small suggestion. Wait for a while if you can and then upgrade yourself to the 630D. Believe you me - it will be worth the wait. The engine transmission combo is stellar and the 360 degree camera, gesture controls, soft close doors sweeten the deal.
samyakmodi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 15:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the 630i you can use it for a decade easily if maintained well. Take the extended warranty if you are worried. The 6GT has been around for sometime now and is quite reliable, being a German it will also age well.
Sahil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 20:17   #6
BHPian

Re: BMW 6-Series GT vs Mercedes C-Class vs Volvo XC60 vs Discovery Sport

Did you have a look at the recently launched Lexus NX 350h? Here is the link to the TBHP review (Lexus NX 350h Review). This might be a good fit for your requirement.
sohu9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 20:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash2385 View Post
Hello All,

6. XC60 - Yet to test drive. Looks good on paper but at a similar price to 6GT, tempted to go with a more renowned brand and model which is from a segment higher.

I would like inputs from the Team-bhp community to know their experience/suggestions regarding the above cars.

Also would like to know if it is realistic to expect to use these cars for 8 years considering the EV wave.
My pick from the lot would be the XC60. Smooth revving petrol in the B5 variant, Amply powerful and can easily do a 0-100 in under 7 secs, cushy ride, AWD, massaging seats and a bonkers of a B&W audio system to keep you entertained on those long drives, gold standard of a safety tech that is hard to get in the competition all make it a sweet proposition. Its a car that you can easily maintain for a minimum of 7 years and beyond before you are ready for EVs with greater performance and range. Take a test drive and you will be impressed.
vjbox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 20:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
My pick from the lot would be the XC60. Smooth revving petrol in the B5 variant, Amply powerful and can easily do a 0-100 in under 7 secs, cushy ride, AWD, massaging seats and a bonkers of a B&W audio system to keep you entertained on those long drives, gold standard of a safety tech that is hard to get in the competition all make it a sweet proposition. Its a car that you can easily maintain for a minimum of 7 years and beyond before you are ready for EVs with greater performance and range. Take a test drive and you will be impressed.
+1 . The test drive simply blew me away. It definitely doesn't have the brand pull of the other three but given your stable already has a BMW (albeit the cheapest of the marque), why not try this? Since this is a 80% city driven car, I'd imagine the hybrid engine in the XC60 to give you better mileage as well (paper tiger theory).

My only concern is that if it would be comfortable for three abreast. The rear seats are quite form-hugging and it's best suited for two than three. But if you're driving, I think you can wonderfully drown out the grumbling from the middle seat with that acoustic symphony and the seat massager.
Mad Max is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 21:10   #9
BHPian

I would suggest you to look at these options:
1. BMW 6GT
2. Volvo XC60/S90
3. Lexus NX350h/LS300h

These are one of the best cars IMO you can get in that segment. Also, why not check out the X4 LCI ? It looks stunning. Do check that out once as well.
NarediAni7518 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 22:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash2385 View Post
Hello All,

Some context and background. We have currently 3 cars in the family. A 2010 Corolla Altis, a Honda City 2016 and a BMW X1 2019.

The BMW X1 is driven by my brother and after having used it myself for a while I felt compelled to upgrade to a luxury car for myself as well, as they are a pleasure to drive and be in compared to our Japanese, Korean and Indian friends.

Requirements:
Luxury Segment.
Running: 20% highway running and 80% within the City.
Type: SUV and Sedan
Comfortable for 5 at the back
A pleasure to Drive as well as sit at the back
A long term buy - We usually keep cars at least for 7 years, mostly up to 10
Preference for Petrol over Diesel

Concerns: Will the car be useable for 8-10 years considering the upcoming EVs

When we started looking at different cars the biggest hurdle I encountered was my own price expectation. We had got such a sweet deal when we purchased the X1 Petrol (BS4) in 2019 that everything now felt too overpriced. The current X1 is nearly 40% more costly if I were to purchase the same specs today.

It took me a few months to come to terms that this was the new market where discounts are nearly non-existent.

The cars that we shortlisted and considered:

1. XC40 - Great car. Love the tech, look feel etc but the rear seats are too upright. ADAS, Lane monitoring, emergency braking etc. are features that are not there in cars that are twice as expensive. Skipped over this car only due to rear-seat comfort.

2. BMW X3 - Simply not worth paying the 20 lakhs extra compared to an X1. I could barely feel a difference in the room, better interiors definitely.

3. Discovery Sport - The dealer had a 2019 model for display. Big car, felt very good. The interiors felt a bit dated. Concerns regarding maintenance and overall value of the car/brand over time.

4. Another option is to wait for the C-class W206 once it is launched around May. Mercedes is definitely aspirational and is expected to cost around 55 Lakhs ex-showroom.

5. BMW 6GT - This is definitely above the budget I started with but once I saw this car completely fell in love with it. The interiors, size, air suspension etc. are just top class. Disappointed to know that the MSport 630i misses out on the following features: 360 Deg Camera, Wireless charging, Laser lights, soft door closer. However this 'feels' like an investment worth making if I can use the car for 8-10 years.

Just get the 6 series GT especially the 30d variant. This is the luxury sedan which will fit your requirements and you can easily keep it for 8 years. Being an India spec BMW, it will be reliable in the long-term unlike JLRs (although newer ones are better) and those India spec Mercedes cars which are nightmares.

Stay away from the C class W206 as the current C in India costs the same as the 3 series Gran Limousine and the W206 will cost even higher than the W205. Other than the 6 series GT, the XC60 is also a good option because of it's comfort, features, safety and not to forget that it has nappa leather too. The Discovery Sport is quite overpriced now. Just blindly go for the 6 series GT or the Volvo XC60. Both are great options.

If you are okay with Audi India's current situation then check out for the new A6. Audi is offering killer deals on the A6. Many owners in the forum are getting the deal. Check out the deal in a nearby Audi showroom. Also it offers the combination of driving experience and comfort.
Old 8th April 2022, 07:33   #11
BHPian

Hi

I own a G30 530d and an XC60. I've had both for about 3 years.

I do about 20% outstation runs. Mostly in the volvo lately as the bmw has had a few tyre bursts on miniature pot holes which spoilt my entire trip. The space saver is only for peace of mind. It wont help u complete your road trip. It'll take u to the nearest tyre shop on the highway which most probably wont have the tyre youre looking for.

The Xc60 should be ur only choice here . U cannot match the premiumness or flashiness of the bmw. Nor can you match the driving pleasure. But it's just not made for the highway. Inspite of a soft suspension the bmw cannot take high speed pot holes. The level of carefree high speed highway driving that you can do in the Xc60, you cant do in a 630i. Despite all the marketing around 630i - it has poor ground clearance.

Im a huge audiophile. The only disadvantage with the volvos of today is you wont be able to buy another car then unless the music system is better than the bowers and wilkins in the volvo.

The resale values of bmws are the lowest in the market if you compare with cars of similar values from mercedes or even volvo. I've done 90k km in my volvo - im being offered 46-48 lacs for it after 3 years of ownership. The bmw is being offered around 30L after 3 years 50k km.

A good benchmark would be to check pre owned car websites. You wont find a single low mileage xc60 or xc90 available anywhere. Nobody wants to sell these. On the contrary youll find many many bmw 6series under 10k km. Thats because many customers including myself have realised that bmw's arent as useable as you think

The volvo is understated, very useable - great at high speeds. It has also turned out to be themost reliable car i have owned. I have been to Himachal pradesh in it about 8-10 times. Its driven through spaces and roads which you would only dare to cross in a fortuner - with ease if i may add. Its shocking how capable it is.

The only thing you need to live with is that volvo will cost about 25-30% more to service and maintain. My service bills for the 6 cylinder bmw are about 25-35k each time. Volvo is above 45k everytime. Yet we somehow end up driving the volvo more.

To give you some perspective - i own a crysta - bought a year before i got the volvo. But the volvo has done more miles.

Hope this helps.
Bluebeem is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 07:41   #12
BHPian

I am a 630d owner myself , it's an amazing car . Space, driving pleasure, comfort, tech you name it and it is there. I would have any day recommended the car for you if not for some of your preferences you had quoted.

1. Preference of petrol over diesel - Only the range topping 630d has all the bells and whistles and it is powered by a 3.0L diesel engine . Efficiency of the petrol engine is also a question.

2. 20% running in the city and 80% city usage - Due to its sheer size and dimensions , you need enough space to drive the 6 GT and you will often get frustrated that you are not getting an empty stretch of road to allow the car to spread its wings. And the petrol engine might not be that efficient as the diesel.

3. Comfortable for 5 passengers - In 6 GT, you wont get this at all. From what I have seen the person sitting in the middle of the back seat cannot travel long distances due to the huge centre tunnel and middle seat design. It according to me is a strict 4 seater.

I had shared my car buying experience couple of weeks back
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...s-gt-630d.html (My first car is a BMW 6-Series GT 630d!)

I had shortlisted the 6GT , Volvo XC60 , Lexus ES 300h . And then I went for the 6GT 630d because it was able to satisfy few of my preferences over the other cars. But the other two cars are equally good and rich in tech. The Volvo XC60 , Lexus ES 300h can satisfy most of your preferences. Both are available with Hybrid petrol engines which can deliver great efficiency. Apt for city usage and comfortable for 5 passengers. You should also check out the new Lexus NX 350h , they have provided a huge upgrade for the car and it might turn out to be the best fit for you. Lexus is known for its reliability and resale value. The maintenance expense for the car is unbelievably cheap.
With Mercedes , I do not think it's worth buying their cars if not for the E Class or the S Class. The other much cheaper cars in their portfolio for Indian markets are not worth it.

Hope this helps.
Rachet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 08:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Hi

I own a G30 530d and an XC60. I've had both for about 3 years.

I do about 20% outstation runs. Mostly in the volvo lately as the bmw has had a few tyre bursts on miniature pot holes which spoilt my entire trip. The space saver is only for peace of mind. It wont help u complete your road trip. It'll take u to the nearest tyre shop on the highway which most probably wont have the tyre youre looking for.
You should switch from RFT’s to Tubeless, in first year of my X1 we went through 3 RFT tyre bursts and then switched too Tubeless. Tubeless will also improve your ride quality.
Old 8th April 2022, 21:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh_kumar View Post
You should switch from RFT’s to Tubeless, in first year of my X1 we went through 3 RFT tyre bursts and then switched too Tubeless. Tubeless will also improve your ride quality.
I switched to Y rated tubeless tires - on the first day. I like to drive fast on open roads. So RFTs are always risky.

The M sport suspension doesn't have enough suspension travel to accommodate large potholes. The brunt is to be borne by the sidewall of the tyre.

45 profile on the front and 40 at the back doesn't help. The car feels hits potholes so hard even at slow speeds that I've had my alloys replaced multiple times due to bending.

It's just not worth the headache after a point.

One needs a car that forgives you for your mistakes - not a car which makes a beautiful drive also tiring coz ur constantly on red alert for even small gaps In the tarmac.

Mind you I drove a 3 series for 7 years before buying the 530d. So I wasn't exactly new to bmw way of driving. Incidently the 3 series never ever had a tire burst. It ran RFTs for 5 years.

Every time I'm.on a cross state drive in the Volvo I have at least a couple of moments when I say to.myself "thank god I didn't get the bmw here"

Having Said all of the above- the 530d is by far the most beautiful car I've owned. The engine- the seats - the drive. Nothing comes close !!

I haven't loved a car this much
Bluebeem is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 23:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
I switched to Y rated tubeless tires - on the first day. I like to drive fast on open roads. So RFTs are always risky.

The M sport suspension doesn't have enough suspension travel to accommodate large potholes. The brunt is to be borne by the sidewall of the tyre.

45 profile on the front and 40 at the back doesn't help. The car feels hits potholes so hard even at slow speeds that I've had my alloys replaced multiple times due to bending.

It's just not worth the headache after a point.

One needs a car that forgives you for your mistakes - not a car which makes a beautiful drive also tiring coz ur constantly on red alert for even small gaps In the tarmac.

Mind you I drove a 3 series for 7 years before buying the 530d. So I wasn't exactly new to bmw way of driving. Incidently the 3 series never ever had a tire burst. It ran RFTs for 5 years.

Every time I'm.on a cross state drive in the Volvo I have at least a couple of moments when I say to.myself "thank god I didn't get the bmw here"

Having Said all of the above- the 530d is by far the most beautiful car I've owned. The engine- the seats - the drive. Nothing comes close !!

I haven't loved a car this much
RFT’s are the worst, your review of tubeless tyre is enlightening.

I have been contemplating getting a 6 GT, test drove one couple of months back, it feels like most sensible for a family of 4.

Most Viewed