Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2022, 17:07   #46
BHPian

Re: First German car dilemma | Thinking about buying a Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
2. By SUV standards, yes it could be a pain while touring; but by luxury sedan standards - most have thinner sidewalls.

I think that should be enough for now and I can swap later if needed - (of course there would be a cost associated - but premature optimisation is the root of all evil).
Quote:

3. I personally am not a fan of PPF
We both like the pure looks as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
However, I don't think 18s will fit (check with someone more knowledgable on this at AMG or at a tire/tuner shop).
Will do and come back if still not sure.

Quote:
Maintaining black is a pain in the you-know-where, so this is something I'd definitely get done from a reputed installer if I were you, partially or fully.
Though, It is the more practical thing to do but this will probably be one of those "Dil to Pagal Hai" decisions as one of our teachers used to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Is it a done deal? Should I forever hold my peace?
Not signed on the dotted line yet - So best time to speak up I would say. Meanwhile here are couple more of those TD experiences for your reading pleasure

Did back to back with Macan/ Q5/ AMG..

Q5 felt the most cushy ride in city, steering is so light you forget your size and start driving like a hatchback getting into gaps etc. At high speeds even in dynamic mode the bouncy ride is unnerving to me (may be you get used to it) and felt it had the most roll on corners.

AMG just had the sideways movement in low speeds but comfortable enough. Width is a little big for me still but absorbs small potholes and bumps very nicely (even in sport+).

Macan - Just felt at home in it. Most uncomfortable probably at low speed bumps. Even high speed bumps were the most pronounced. Felt the right size and I could push it in tight overtaking spaces with ease. It does have the best high speed and cornering IMO. Overall it would have been ride quality of my Honda city with the Porsche tag and high speed driving pleasure. Also, AMG looks more sporty for now.
Old 5th May 2022, 19:58   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxshar2 View Post
Not signed on the dotted line yet - So best time to speak up I would say.
At times like these, I ask myself if I crossed seven seas to stay in a garden-view room of a beach front hotel just because I got a free upgrade to a suite category?
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 08:31   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
H[*]Reason I am not considering Q7/ X5/ GLE/ Cayenne is that all of them feel too big and elephant-ish to both of us and would have the added body roll because of the size.
Have you considered the Q8? Very close to the Macan budget (even without discounts) and though its only a wee bit smaller than the q7 it feels and looks a lot tighter in person. Sporty, high GC, Audi finesse with some exclusivity make it quite an all rounder without looking like a barge as such.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 11:12   #49
BHPian

Hi all,
Back with more questions and hoping I have not worn out your patience by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
At times like these, I ask myself if I crossed seven seas to stay in a garden-view room of a beach front hotel just because I got a free upgrade to a suite category?
Funnily enough, I have done that - though in Goa and the upgrade wasn't even completely free

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Have you considered the Q8?
Quoting about 1.45 now which is way over budget.

I wanted a good second option before pulling the plug so looked at gla35 and x3 (again.)

I tried the gla 35 and at ~35 lacs lower - it does feel like tremendous value for money. In a straight line you can push it to ridiculous speeds and the compact size and lower GC makes it go nicely around corners as well. Lot lighter on the wallet for warranties and service packages as well. Slight hesitation only because of the ride comfort and the AMG requirement of higher octane fuel.

X3 M sport feels like a proper SUV, definitely has more roll than AMGs but better on ride quality and comfort. I noticed a few times when accelerating softly that it gives sudden jerks - more pronounced at low speeds but was also there at 70 - 90 kmph range. The SA first put it onto autohold, then to sport mode and finally on turbo kick in at 1700 rpms but I am not convinced. Online search reveals mulitple threads on various forums with BMWs. Is this a common issue with X3 or probably something to do with the TD vehicle.
Old 18th May 2022, 14:44   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I wanted a good second option before pulling the plug so looked at gla35 and x3 (again.)
Are sedans completely out of contention now?

Since you're looking at the X3, I'd also suggest having a look at the new Lexus NX350 which could be a great tourer - just because of the way the ES300 bowled you over earlier.

Unfortunately, even at this budget it is difficult to find a fun performance oriented family car though the GLC43 seems to tick the boxes, but my biggest apprehension is that it towards the end of it's life-cycle with the new GLC expected to be unveiled June 1st.
Have a look at the new C300D interiors to get an idea of what a big leap the new GLC could offer - IMO it could be worth the wait, though the AMG would be launched a little later than the regular models and could also feature a 2.0L hybrid as is proposed in the new C43AMG.

Last edited by lamborghini : 18th May 2022 at 14:48.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 21:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Are sedans completely out of contention now?
Seems that ways. Both Camry and Lexus were great at low speeds but the extended TD exposed the flaws you had already warned of: Slightest carelessness on even average speed breaker and you will bang the under body and feel every bit of it. Though, the Lexus handles curves very well, it struggled to go up the steep slopes of Kailash Complex.

Quote:
Since you're looking at the X3, I'd also suggest having a look at the new Lexus NX350
There is a 12 month waiting period. Also, I feel the future might be in EV/ Hybrid and we have the last few good years of pure Petrol engines - especially AMG types so might as well enjoy them now. On the other hand that could also mean very little value in terms of resale down the line.

Quote:
but my biggest apprehension is that it towards the end of it's life-cycle with the new GLC expected to be unveiled June 1st.
Even the SA pointed that out hence the inclination towards GLA35 which was updated only in 2021 June - so should be good for another few years.
nxshar2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 20:41   #52
BHPian

The discussion took some interesting turns. With no new message in the last three months, I am curious know the winner's name.
gyanbaba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 16:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyanbaba View Post
The discussion took some interesting turns. With no new message in the last three months, I am curious know the winner's name.
Unfortunately no winner yet. Came very close in June with both AMG and Macan but no cigar . With hindsight and waiting times now, both look like missed opportunities but what's done is done.
Old 30th August 2022, 17:01   #54
BHPian

Quote:
With hindsight and waiting times now, both look like missed opportunities but what's done is done.
If the heart says Macan, go for it!
Unless you have any specific custom choices, there should not be more than 6 weeks' waiting time for Macan.
Old 18th September 2022, 19:35   #55
BHPian

Hi all, final update (i know), Did a complete U and picked up a blue brown A4 technology this week. It did feel like the best all rounder and VFM option. Camry was a close call but 5 month waiting period was a bit much and the A4 brown felt a bit more plush. Thanks again everyone!!
nxshar2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 13:37   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi all, final update (i know), Did a complete U and picked up a blue brown A4 technology this week. It did feel like the best all rounder and VFM option. Camry was a close call but 5 month waiting period was a bit much and the A4 brown felt a bit more plush. Thanks again everyone!!
Congratulations on your four ringer! Considering the options you were contemplating I'd would be less surprised had you brought home a Q5 but understandably if the ground clearance of an SUV and quattro are not a priority the A4 at 20 lacs less with almost identical interiors makes a compelling value for money proposition.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 17:07   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Considering the options you were contemplating I'd would be less surprised had you brought home a Q5 .
Thanks! I found Q5 to be a bit too floaty in ride and when you add that to raised height of an SUV, it felt very unstable. A4 has so far provided excellent ride quality and i can really push it around on ghats so win win so far!
Old 11th November 2023, 09:17   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all, final update (i know), Did a complete U and picked up a blue brown A4 technology this week
Quite an anticlimax! Although, the A4 is highly under rated. Congratulations!

Regarding the Macan - is the Base model at 88L ex showroom good enough without the Panoramic Sunroof, PASM and Bose audio? Those are the only options of interest to us.
Old 12th November 2023, 11:58   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Regarding the Macan - is the Base model at 88L ex showroom good enough without the Panoramic Sunroof, PASM and Bose audio?
No PASM or Bose audio in Base Macan cannot be a showstopper.

The default music system is awesome and the PASM makes the ride a bit softer.
The base configuration can still put tons on smile on your face.

I still question the worthiness of Panoramic Sunroof in my Macan.
I feel like wasting 3L+ for it just because of: 'Without a sunroof... Log kya kahenge?'.

It is just a cosmetic thing for rare photo-ops. Even combining all the instances, I have hardly kept it open for more than an hour in my last one year.
  1. It brings unnecessary attention from the traffic police. With security cameras all over the places, it doesn't make sense to pop out of the sunroof. Forget the highways as you won't risk driving at even 70kmph with someone popping out of sunroof.
  2. The sun is too bright here. It become unbrearable if I ever turn-off the AC. A translucent shade below the glass can't help either.
  3. I had romanticed driving in a rain, feeling the drops on the sunroof ... The truth is that the traffic and the honking ruins the mood. It gets irritating while negotiating the puddles, and the highway-pools.
  4. You end up paying almost Rs. 7000+ extra every year just for the sake of cleaning it.
  5. Believe me, the pics of Macan are the best if the sunroof is closed.

Here is a pic from one of my dream drives and sunroof doesn't add any value to it.
First German car dilemma | Thinking about buying a Porsche Macan-dsc_0371.jpg

If you liked Macan over others, go for it.
And for the 5 lakhs you saved from no PASM, no Bose ... Get the Sports Exhaust for the extra vroom vroom.
gyanbaba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 17:11   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Regarding the Macan - is the Base model at 88L ex showroom good enough without the Panoramic Sunroof, PASM and Bose audio? Those are the only options of interest to us.
I was keen for the exact same configuration. I wanted to keep the sports chrono package though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks