Range Rover Evoque 1 0.60%
Jaguar F-Pace 3 1.81%
Something bigger like the X5 or Q7 18 10.84%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2022, 19:42   #1
Team-BHP Support

Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others

Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-lexus-nx-350h-comparo.png

Lexus NX 350h

What you'll like:

• Larger than outgoing car. Looks handsome from most angles - more European than Japanese
• A lot of technology and equipment are standard, even on the base model. Many features from a segment higher
• Brisk performance, linear power delivery and good fuel economy
• Class-leading suspension provides a great combination of ride and handling
• Five-star Euro NCAP safety rating and long list of safety features
• Epitome of reliability. Will almost certainly trump its European rivals
• Audiophile-grade Mark Levinson sound system

What you won't:

• Only one powertrain option available. No Plug-In Hybrid for India
• 20" wheels with run flat tyres and no spare. Can be a problem given our road conditions
• Expensive compared to the outgoing model.
• Missing features such as massaging seats, wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, etc.
• Four-seater at best. Five adults will find the interior space tight
• Long overhangs limit rough-road capability
• Limited sales and service points. Only four dealers across India at present

Link to Review

BMW X3
Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-x3.jpg

CEF_Beasts' X3 30i Ownership Review

worldcrawler's X3 xDrive 20d Ownership Review

karan561's X3 LCi Drive Report

Audi Q5

Link to Review

Mercedes-Benz GLC
Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-glc.jpg

Link to Drive Report

Land Rover Discovery Sport
Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-disco-6.jpg

What you'll like:

• Modern if laid back styling – less derivative than its German rivals
• Commanding cabin with excellent visibility and space
• Astounding off-road ability
• Good on-road manners with well weighted steering for an SUV
• Build integrity and durable

What you won't:

• Petrol engine has a bit of drinking problem if pressed hard.
• +2 rear seats are a joke and an unnecessary expense
• Cabin lacks the initial showroom appeal in terms of trim and basic touchscreen interfaces
• Expensive compared to its peers
• JLR service is poor due to indifferent Tata management

Link to Drive Report

AdiSinghV12's Ownership Review

The 2020 BS6 - Launch Thread

Volvo XC60
Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-xc60.jpg

What you'll like:

• Very well-priced, especially for a CBU!
• Sharp looking SUV with a premium build. Got to love Volvo's new designs
• Segment-leading features with all the bells & whistles thrown in. XC90 features at an XC60 price
• Sorted road manners. Mature suspension setup
• 5-star Euro NCAP rating & topnotch safety kit

What you won't:

• Low speed ride isn't plush. Has a firm edge & you will feel potholes & bumps
• Only one engine option offered
• Better for 4 adults onboard, due to the tall central tunnel at the rear
• The bland and now familiar rear end styling will evoke mixed feedback
• Dealership network isn't a patch on its German competitors
• Lacks the badge value & aura of the Big 3 European marques

Link to Drive Report

The 2021 XC60 mild-hybrid - Launch Thread

Range Rover Evoque
Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-range-rover-evoque.jpg

Link to karan561's Report

Jaguar F-Pace
Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-jag-fpace.jpg

What you'll like:

• One of the most handsome SUVs in the market today. Styling retains the Jaguar heritage to a large extent
• In-car entertainment is among the best out there
• Sorted dynamics - ride and handling are pliant even though tuned towards the sportier side
• A Jaguar that you can actually take off-road

What you won't:

• Priced at a hefty premium thanks to it being a CBU
• Ordinary performance from the 2.0L diesel. It's not the most refined motor out there either
• Better for 4 adults onboard than 5
• Jaguar's after-sales network isn't a match for that of Mercedes or BMW

Link to Drive Report

The 2021 Facelift - Launch Thread

Last edited by Aditya : 10th April 2022 at 19:44.
Aditya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 11:14   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others

Nice spread of SUVs in that price range! My first choice would be the BMW X3 for the driving experience (sucks that the 3.0L 6-cylinder diesel isn't available though), ZF gearbox and the brand's reliability. 2nd choice would be the Audi Q5 for its all-rounded nature & 2.0 TSI DSG. XC60 = 3rd choice. The GLC is way too boring, the Lexus isn't my kind of car at all, and I don't like the Land / Range Rover ownership experience (poor reliability, long wait for parts, service quality).

Last edited by GTO : 11th April 2022 at 11:17.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 17:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

This segment got a fresh dose of adrenaline in the last couple of months, with the launch of some refreshed models namely; BMW's X3 LCI, Audi's Q5 facelift, Volvo's XC60 petrol hybrid, Lexus' NX350h and a small update on the GLC.

Starting off, will not lie OTR prices on these mid-sized luxury SUVs have become/gone bonkers!!

In 2021 when my parents were in the market for a SUV, I was in-charge of shortlisting cars.

For a long time my dad wanted a luxury car, meanwhile my mom didn't want one because of the expensive maintenance and lower reliability compared to a Toyota that we have, another reason was my dad's college mate's Mercedes Benz E-Class W212 horror stories, it would spend months together at the service center for random faults that would pop up anytime.

Anyways we stepped into the Toyota showroom to have a look at a Fortuner (the natural upgrade from a previous gen Fortuner) and my mom liked the Legender meanwhile I wanted the regular 4X4 AT regular Fortuner (Legender 4X4 had not been launched till then). So this went to the back of the list.

Then we went to both BMW and Mercedes-Benz showrooms to check out the X1, X3, GLA and GLC. The X1 was struck-off from the list for being too expensive for it's size and pretty dated interiors.

X3 was the one we checked next and liked the overall experience, didn't get to TD the car then since the 30i had gone someplace else.

Next we test-drove the GLC 220d 4Matic, I liked the interior design and the comfort the backseat offered. But I couldn't find a single thing that struck a chord with my heart. Yes, the 3-pointed badge, massage seats and 64 ambient lighting did pull me towards it but that was about it. Biggest downer was the engine spec Mercedes has given the GLC in petrol guise (which is what we wanted), considering the pre-facelift GLC got the more powerful tune with 4Matic in petrol guise. No price reduction for the weaker engine, GLC is the Fortuner of the Luxury mid-sized SUV segment selling just on the basis of it's badge (petrol GLC specifically).

Got the pricelist for both GLC and X3 and went again to Toyota to see the Fortuner again. This time there was a Lexus NX300h parked and we straight away headed towards it. My dad is a huge hybrid fan and he liked the NX as well. The new NX was still some time away and the interior without the touchscreen and lower total output from the gasoline motor and battery compared to the ES300h and Camry put me off.

Although I am a huge fan of the newly launched NX350h and just wished it had been launched earlier. Would give a tough fight to the top-of-my-shortlist X3 then.

Finally it was decided that the X3 it is and retain our Fortuner for the daily grind.

On the day of booking the X3 30i the dealership had one for test-drive as well and just after a drive we knew the booking amount being put down was in the right place, more importantly my dad liked the drive a lot.

My dad's college mate now has a Land Rover Discovery Sport and I am not a fan of the basic interior design and same goes for it's aftersales. Although for someone looking at a rugged luxury SUV, the Discovery Sport will have to be the top pick. So evidently the Evoque would also not be my choice add to that the premium they are charging just for it's design! All show and no go is how I would term the Evoque.

The Audi Q5 is a top-quality pick with an excellent drivetrain coupled with the world renowned Quattro system. Again it hadn't been launched when we were in the market, even if it had been, it's a bit too understated on the outside and looks similar to every other Audi.

Didn't check out the Volvo XC60, have heard a lot about the brilliant interiors, massive features list, decent aftersales and good overall comfort but still gave it a miss.

To conclude, there is a mid-sized SUV for everyone in this segment now!

My preference in the respective categories would be in this order:

For enthusiasts out there who value driving pleasure over anything

X3=F-Pace > Q5 > XC60=GLC > NX350h > Evoque > Discovery Sport

For badge oriented people
GLC > F-Pace=Evoque > Q5=X3=XC60 > Discovery Sport > NX350h

For comfort oriented people
Discovery Sport > GLC > Q5=XC60 > NX350h > Evoque > F-Pace=X3

I put my money and vote where my mouth is and have been happy with my choice for the last 7 months. In terms sheer driving pleasure I believe only the F-Pace can beat or equal the X3. A close second would be the new NX350h and third would be a tie amongst the XC60, GLC and Q5.

Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-1c90b1ac68434d6b99b1033b11526a9f.jpeg

Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-2923a6e2fe5646bd9e9e2439bdb958c9.jpeg

Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-4e40b36d129942d7a2fbba03e5261d13.jpeg

Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-d60cafbf739a4818b8553b5fa248762d.jpeg

The connect with the steering wheel, the road and the person behind the wheel is something else in front of this badge here:

Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-f25e73fe50554b89bc0a9ecbfc8222a8.jpeg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 11th April 2022 at 18:10.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 17:00   #4
BHPian

The Infamous Question: Which Car (Compact SUV in my Case)

Dear fellow members,

I'm here with the question that has been asked umpteen times yet the answer varies for each one of us. So please help me out in upgrade for my new ride. I will share some basic information that may help you understanding what is going on with me.

My car journey started in year 2004 (I don't remember correctly) when I first bought Santro XP. It was the first family car. Then few years later, I added Swift ZX into my stable which was "my" car, totally in control of me. Both cars served us well and we kept for 15 years. After, Swift, I moved on to Baleno RS in 2017 and then purchased X1, my entry into the luxury market and first taste of German craftsmanship. It has been four years now and I wish to make a last upgrade to a truly luxury SUV (Compact SUV) before I hang my shoes in another 6-7 years. I would like to enjoy the car for long road trips and weekend drives. After that, I would shift to a more humble offerings from Hyundai, Toyota, Mahindra or Tata.

Before I begin, I wish to clarify that "The beauty lies in the eye of the beholder". Observations mentioned below are just my opinion and no way generalized or aimed to hurt the owners.

What I'm Looking
I want a car with following features / comforts in the same order as listed below:
  • Automatic with good drivability meaning it should be able to overtake other cars at highway without any pre-planning.
  • Should be comfortable at 120-130 kmph. No bouncy or wobbly ride.
  • Luxurious Interiors with soft leather and high quality material
  • Massaging Seats with Ventilation
  • Should be able to take anywhere (I don't mean off roading but places with no tarmac, bad patches such as North East, UP etc., bad roads)
  • Good ground clearance for peace of mind
  • Good rear seat space and comfort for parents (age bracket > 60)
  • Safe
  • Long term reliability (6-7 Years)

I have following cars in mind and my thoughts about them follows. I have taken short test drives of each car and long test drive is pending.
GLC: The favorite badge of my better half. From the childhood, always heard about mercs as synonym to luxury cars. Both me and wife have soft corner for it
Pros:
  • Good to drive car with acceptable response times. Nothing to match X1 though.
  • Good looking handsome car.
  • Modern interiors.
  • Good ambient lighting (although little funky for my taste).
  • Crisp infotainment system and "Digital Driver Console".
  • Massaging seats (I couldn't feel it much though ).
  • All bells and whistles of a modern car such as Apple Car Play, Wireless Charging etc.
  • Rear seat comfort is acceptable but nothing great.
  • Good boot space.
Cons:
  • No ventilated seats.
  • Could not digest gear leaver at the place of turn indicator stock. (While shuffling between X1 and Baleno RS, I keep activating wipers and lights wrongly based on what I drove last. And yes, at 100 kmph, with a flick of a finger, GLC can be put into "N" from "D".).
  • The sideboard, that comes attached with GLC, is real pain for me (and wife). It's an obstruction while getting out of the car. I always hit my leg with it and it is inconvenient. It actually serves no purpose other than show off.
  • Rear space is just ok.
  • Upholstery does not match with the OTR price. Doors have very thing padding at arm rest and nothing beyond.
  • Panoramic roof has a wide gap between front and rear glass. It is not continuous and hence does not provide that big glass feeling.
  • Leather used in the car does not feel plush.
  • Does not justify OTR of 70L in Delhi.

X3: Natural upgrade from X1 but somehow it did not impress me but for the "grin on the face" when you drive it. But this time, I'm looking for more.
Pros:
  • Ultimate driving machine. Period. No other car in this segment is more capable (out of these Germans, Volvo and Jaguar).
  • Good looking handsome car. Looks aggressive.
  • Good infotainment system and "Digital Driver Console".
  • Rear seat comfort is acceptable but nothing great.
Cons:
The list is rather long. Just say that it has a stiff ride for that "grin on face" and does not even carry leather cushion at door arm rest and "Digital Driver Console" is reserved to M Sport. So Rejected.

XC 60: First time considered and fell in love with its subtle styling and Thunder Grey color.

Pros:
  • Royal interiors that feel plush and luxurious.
  • Seats are very comfortable.
  • Massaging seats (This time I could really fell it. GLC seems to be mere gimmick in front of this)
  • Excellent rear seat comfort and space.
  • Google maps built in so no need of Apple Car Play. Saves battery.
  • Acceptable driving engagement. I would say at par with GLC. A long test drive will reveal more.
  • Lots of driver aids.
  • Silent cabin(better than GLC and X3).
  • Excellent boot space.
  • Very safe compare to other cars.
  • Large glass roof and windows.
  • 4 Zone climate control with rear vents present on door pillars too.
  • Did I mention comfortable seats with massaging, lumbar and thigh support, all electronically adjustable?

Cons:
  • Not engaging to drive (especially when coming from X1)
  • No drive modes (maybe not required)
  • Weird manual gear shifts and not paddles (I never had to use them in X1)
  • I'm not sure about Ambient Lighting. Will verify in next test drive.
  • No rear window blinds (at least I don't remember)
  • Expensive than GLC (3L basic)
  • Concerns about resale after 6-7 years being a Volvo and a Petrol.
  • Not sure about ASS

In addition to above, I'm thinking of Lexus NX350H which I plan to visit next weekend. I'm not sure about C5 Aircross as their network is too thin and I'm not confident how they will handle ASS. I like Evoque but did not consider it based on several horror stories about its reliability and ASS.

So fellow knowledgeable members, please help me chose my next ride based on above. Any thoughts and suggests are welcome.
Old 16th April 2022, 19:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Infamous Question: Which Car (Compact SUV in my Case)

Any reason the Q5 isn't in the list?
No idea about dealer discounts these days but if you're considering Volvo you might want to give the Audi a try. The Lexus would be my pick for a peace of mind experience.
Old 18th April 2022, 10:56   #6
BHPian

Re: The Infamous Question: Which Car (Compact SUV in my Case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Any reason the Q5 isn't in the list?
No idea about dealer discounts these days but if you're considering Volvo you might want to give the Audi a try. The Lexus would be my pick for a peace of mind experience.
I don't really trust the brand and I found their cars to be incomplete for the price they charge. Also, I find Audi's plane boring both from inside and outside.

I did detailed test drive for GLC, XC60 and NX350h and here are my views:
GLC: It's a very comfortable car to ride. Suspension is soft and soak bad patches very nicely. The ride was very comfortable. However, I did not like the driving experience at all. It always felt that engine was straining or engine and gear box were not in sync with each other. The gear shifts were very clearly noticeable and so does the engine noise.
The central console screen is very crisp but is absolute straight which results in an angle view to the driver. I was not comfortable with that. The fonts and color choice of drive console was not very user friendly and readable too. I was straining myself to read the speedometer in full sun which never happened with my X1 and XC60. The thigh support, although could be extended, but was short in width and full thigh support was not available. But it was way better than X1.
The seats were comfortable and AC was good to chill the cabin at 40 deg. Rear seat comfort was good and rear armrest was at good position. However, I can't say the same about front central armrest. With my driving position, I could not use that all. It was way below the comfortable arm angle. Same for the driver side door arm rest.
Ambient lighting was too much for my taste but they lit up the cabin quite well. I could feel then while passing through a small tunnel.
Side view mirrors could have been little larger. The music system was good but nothing exceptional. It was just a notch above X1.
Another note, I was not comfortable with seat controls on the door. The position of the switches were not comfortable to me. Maybe I keep the seat little closer to the steering wheel. Also, this time, the seat massaging was good. I could feel it very well and it was relaxing. Last time, maybe it was some setting issue or it was not started at all.

XC60: I may feel biased with this car but this car looks and feels royal. I sat in the car and adjusted the seat and found the correct position within one minute. It's thigh support was perfect for me both in terms of reach & angle and width. Wife was at the back and within 2-3 minutes, she paired my phone to car's Bluetooth. And instantly she said, Wow !!. The music system of the car is a piece of art in itself. It blew us away. Wife is generally unable to distinguish fine details of a music system but she was clearly blown away. She never thought that car system could be that good.
The driving experience of the car was excellent. After driving X1, this is the first car encountered (besides Audis), that can match the driving experience of BMWs. The car, rushes forward and engine is always calm and composed no matter how hard you press the paddle. I could go upto 110 only due to speed restrictions but not once I felt that car is not responding, which was not the case with GLC. However, the suspensions are little on firmer side which makes it sit between X1 and GLC. So ride on bad patches is not as comfortable as GLC but manageable. There is more body roll and movement on bad patches than GLC which was very well controlled.
What I liked about the car was its K.I.S.S approach. There were no drive modes, maybe two driver console display options and hardly any buttons on the central console. The driver console displayed only speed and gear position along with other driver assistance messages. I felt it very relaxing as there was no clutter. The car was somehow not connected to Internet, so I could not check google maps.
The front central armrest was at correct position and so the is driver side door armrest. However, the central arm rest was making squeaking noise while driving with your arm over it. I did not like that and that raises concerns over rattling. However, the cabin was vey calm. No outside noises. Better than GLC and GLC was not bad at all.
The rear seat armrest was little low and wife did not find it comfortable. So people above 5.4 may find it little too low for their comfort level.
The ventilated seats were boon at 41 deg. around 14:00 hours. My back and bum were perfectly at ease. And massage was 2-3 notches above the GLC. The GLC massage was somewhat limited to lower back while this took care of the whole back. It was very soothing.
The rear seat comfort was good and AC at rear was way better than GLC. This may be due to additional vents provided at both door pillars. Wife was more comfortable in XC60 rear and as per her, AC of XC60 is better.
The ambient lighting is limited to illuminated switches and cubby holes as per the information provided by SA. I could not verify it.
Side view mirrors could have been little larger.
I'm not going into details of various driver assistance systems available but I tested few and they were excellent during the test drive. One thing to note that "Autonomous Braking" can be disabled in GLC (SA demonstrated me) but could not be disabled in XC60 (SA told so, I did not try).
I have voted for XC60 because I feel its a complete car at this price point. Loaded with features and creature comfort and excellent drive experince.

NX350h: Went for the first time to Lexus showroom at Janpath. The showroom was the best out of three. "The car has 1 year waiting" was how it was introduced to us, albeit very politely and humbly. We anyways took the test drive and it was least impressive of all the three. The rubber band effect of CVT is very well controlled but I could not test it much due to traffic cops posted at various locations. The car is way more premium and back seat is very comfortable. It has a very nice recline angle. The HUD was very crisp and non interfering.
The music system of Mark & Levinson felt dud on the same songs played over Bluetooth in other cars. It was really dud. AC was not affective although it was around 16:10 and sun was not that harsh. It was not at all comfortable at rear. The seating position is lower than both GLC and XC60.
I did not test it much as within 5 minutes, we both had rejected the car in our mind. Long waiting, RFTs with no spare wheels and additional cost was the last nail in the cog.
deepak_bajaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 15:36   #7
BHPian

I don't see myself attracted to this class of vehicle at all and I would rather buy a BMW 330i or Lexus ES300h over all of these SUV's.

But they make for excellent cars if you have parents so if I was buying a car for my parents and I had to chose between these cars I would hands down go for the Lexus NX 350h.

Looking at the cars from my parents point of view the 3 germans would be automatically disqualified as both of my parents aren't very fond of german cars, Land Rover and Jaguar is not something they like either so that leaves us with the Volvo XC60 and the Lexus NX350h.

The low speed ride quality of the Volvo and the rarity of Lexus over Volvo means that the Lexus wins this one for us as a family, plus all the sales person at the Lexus showroom in Bangalore has to do to secure a booking would be to mention the fact that Lexus is owned by Toyota and my parents would be sold (we own a 2011 Type 4 converted Innova and they absolutely refuse to sell it).

Plus I think the Lexus is the best looking of all the suv's (especially in blue or black) followed by the F-Pace and the X3.

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 18th April 2022 at 15:38.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 02:30   #8
BHPian

Which luxury SUV for road-trips : X3, F-Pace or Discovery Sport?

Hi!
I had been considering a Toyota Fortuner (4X4 AT Black color) for a while, made the booking in February, but now tempted to upgrade to a luxury SUV.

Needless to say I live to drive, the first vehicle I took for TD was the X3 330i and boy it amazes you!! It keeps pulling and pulling, holding on to the road like a clingy girlfriend. The brooklyn grey colour was the initial choice, but it supposedly will be a hindrance when I try to resell (I don't plan to keep it beyond the warranty period) it in a market like Allahabad, as people here tend to go for regular colors like white, black & silver more often.

Now, I am also tempted at the Jaguar F-pace (for the gorgeous looks) and Land Rover Discovery Sport (for the imposing presence, and the car looking bigger than it actually is), although I haven't been able to TD either since the cars are not available for TD at the dealer in Lucknow, imagine.

Not considering any used car options, any other suggestions are more than welcome

So need advice on following points-

1) Can anyone suggest how does F-pace and Discovery Sport compare to X3 in terms of driving, reliability, build-quality, etc. If anyone has driven any of these cars please share your driving experience.

2) Beemers being famous for their fun to drive quotient, are looking like a more attractive option. In case I do decide to go for X3, do you think Diesel makes more sense than Petrol in a city like Prayagraj/Allahabad where we do not have the 10 year rule. Diesel has 190 bhp & 400 Nm, while petrol has 252 bhp & 350 Nm. In real world what would be more beneficial- more torque or more power. Would there be a considerable difference in noise and vibration levels between diesel and petrol.

3) Also, whether I go for X3 or any of the counterparts, how does the running cost compare in between a diesel and petrol engine. If anyone is using BMW's 2 litre diesel or petrol units in any of the models please suggest.

P.S.- planning to use the car for long drives mainly, not much use in the city, and by long drives I mean covering places like Laddakh, Arunachal, Sikkim, Goa, Kerala and so forth on 4-wheels.

Fun fact- before shortlisting above cars, I tried my level best to see if there was any way (financing plans, discounts, etc. wherein I could stretch to a Porsche Macan.
actuallyankur is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 16:32   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which luxury SUV for road-trips : X3, F-Pace or Discovery Sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuallyankur View Post
I had been considering a Toyota Fortuner (4X4 AT Black color) for a while, but now tempted to upgrade to a luxury SUV.

Needless to say I live to drive, the first vehicle I took for TD was the X3 330i ...., but it supposedly will be a hindrance when I try to resell (I don't plan to keep it beyond the warranty period) .... planning to use the car for long drives mainly, not much use in the city, and by long drives I mean covering places like Laddakh, Arunachal, Sikkim, Goa, Kerala and so forth on 4-wheels.
Your requirements scream Fortuner But if you want to go higher and can afford it, I will look no further than an X3 Diesel or if you are Ok with the shape of an X4, find that 6-cylinder Diesel on X4 (marginally higher priced over 4 cyl). Won’t recommend you LR twins simply because of the reliability issues. There are many examples, and it is not just hearsay. Worst, JLR is not known to fix the problems in a hurry, so if something goes wrong, it can take months to get that part from Europe. BMW or even MB have far better systems in place. You can buy an extended warranty on BMW for up to around 5 Years in total, beyond which it becomes super expensive (6th year)

Quote:
Can anyone suggest how does F-pace and Discovery Sport compare to X3 in terms of driving, reliability, build-quality, etc.
I have briefly driven a Discovery sport, but it's nowhere near the X3/ X4.

Quote:
In case I do decide to go for X3, do you think Diesel makes more sense than Petrol
Real-world mileage difference, especially if you are on higher speeds, can be as high as 50%. But Petrol is silent, if you are Ok with a six-cylinder X4, then Diesel will be a no-brainer, but if you want to stick with 4 Cylinder Diesel/ Petrol, I will take extended drives of both (not necessarily in the same car as the dealer may not have).

Quote:
Would there be a considerable difference in noise and vibration levels between diesel and petrol.
I find clatter on the diesel not to my liking, but that’s just me, and you must drive both to make a meaningful decision.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th June 2022 at 16:42.
Turbanator is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 18:34   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Needless to say I live to drive, the first vehicle I took for TD was the X3 330i and boy it amazes you!! It keeps pulling and pulling, holding on to the road like a clingy girlfriend. The brooklyn grey colour was the initial choice, but it supposedly will be a hindrance when I try to resell (I don't plan to keep it beyond the warranty period) it in a market like Allahabad, as people here tend to go for regular colors like white, black & silver more often.

Now, I am also tempted at the Jaguar F-pace (for the gorgeous looks) and Land Rover Discovery Sport (for the imposing presence, and the car looking bigger than it actually is)

P.S.- planning to use the car for long drives mainly, not much use in the city, and by long drives I mean covering places like Laddakh, Arunachal, Sikkim, Goa, Kerala and so forth on 4-wheels.
Any reason for not trying out the Audi Q5 & Mercedes GLC?

Between these options in your shortlist, I think the X3 is definitely the nicest self driving SUV out there and judging from comments by owners of these 3 brands - it will be the best to maintain as well, but let down by average rear seat comfort and relatively boring interiors.
If these aren't deal breakers and the drive matters over all else, it is the one to go for!

Between the diesel and petrol : I really enjoyed the petrol when I took a test drive in 2021. The diesel performance is adequate for it's segment but nothing spectacular.
Routine maintenance wouldn't be much different, but the petrol can get thirsty with a heavy foot and you want to ensure you have good quality fuel available en route your journeys!

LR Discovery is the comfort oriented choice though let down by it's dated interiors and adequate performance. A neighbor recently picked one up and it wasn't anything spectacular to be honest.
Instead I would look at the Evoque which is a newer model if I want an aesthetically appealing LR; or would see if there's anyway to stretch for the Defender 90 which is honestly a brilliant car for your needs to tour the country though 3 doors have limits on it's practicality. I know you plan to sell it after warranty period - but if you can hold on to it for longer with extended warranty, it would justify the extra outlay in pricing.

The F Pace wasn't a great riding SUV and had pretty plain jane interiors : the facelift has fixed the latter but I haven't driven it to get an idea of ride quality.
All this being said, JLR service is a hit or miss in the country + as turbonator pointed out : JLR haven't had the best track record in terms of reliability on their older models but will let current owners pine in on this.

I would also suggest waiting and checking out the new GLC when it makes it to our shores : the new C Class should give a good idea of what to expect.
It will be the latest in it's segment and unlike the X3, Discovery Sport, F-Pace, etc. - it will not be an old discontinued model (facelift maybe after 3-4 years) in 3-5 years when it is time to sell so you may benefit with better resale too.

Last edited by lamborghini : 11th June 2022 at 19:00.
lamborghini is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 16:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi!
I had been considering a Toyota Fortuner (4X4 AT Black color) for a while, made the booking in February, but now tempted to upgrade to a luxury SUV.

Having owned the MY21 X3 30i for 9 months now and have a Fortuner as well although the previous gen model, let me explain.

Fortuner’s ride quality in the city is not at all great, but if like you mentioned the car will be used mostly for highways then few cars can come close to the 4X4 AT Fortuner while mile-munching across states. And the boot of the Fortuner can accommodate more stuff as well.

Not that you can’t take a premium BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar or Land Rover to Ladakh, Sikkim or Arunachal Pradesh, it’s just that these cars are loaded with sensors which if fail can immediately turn into a nightmare to resolve. Fortuner gives that peace of mind with a full size spare and fewer sensors with a more robust 4WD system.

If Ladakh, Sikkim or other high terrain journeys are not the plan and only highway cruising across states is what you’re going to do then the premium SUVs make a lot more sense.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 19:53   #12

My fam was in your shoes when we're getting our 1st luxury car during the bs4 to bs6 transition period when every carmaker in the bloc was offering HUGE discounts on their bs4 stock.
With a budget of 40L OTR we started our search with (believe it or not) Jaguar! yes! My local JLR dealer was offering top trim XE/XFs for 40/45 OTR...but fate held something else in stock for us & we finally got a bs4 G20 320d (pic clicked on the D-day).

Even after getting 'my' new car, I kept test driving Jags, audis and some others 'cause somewhere in our minds I and my baba felt we'd made a mistake.
Yes, the jags had little to no resale value.
Yes, the jag's motor-gearbox 'wasn't better'.
Yes, the jags felt dated.
But to my heart we knew which one was the better car for us.and that's where the heart lost to to head :(

I tried reasoning with myself about the bimmer being the practical choice...
"But wasn't the very idea of getting a luxury car as a 3rd vehicle impractical in the first place!?" pat came the reply.

It's already been 2.5 yrs since we brought her home yet I'm trying hard, weaning myself of the wild cat #xf I had fallen in love, in my 1st sight of her.
I literally saw my blue bimmer turn green with envy the other day when I actually missed my turning at a signal while following a rosello red xf in the afternoon traffic at ruby hospital crossing!
I'm still rummaging the web looking for a clean example of her in red. Damn you Ian!

Meanwhile here's some photos of my gharwali (nooffence peeps)
Attached Thumbnails
Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-screenshot_202206121911482.png  

Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-screenshot_20220612200814.png  

Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-screenshot_20220612201038.png  

Lexus NX 350h vs BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLC vs others-screenshot_20220612201054.png  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th June 2022 at 10:57. Reason: back to back posts merged
Shuvam Roy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 00:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Can anyone suggest how does F-pace and Discovery Sport compare to X3 in terms of driving, reliability, build-quality, etc. If anyone has driven any of these cars please share your driving experience.
1. Landrover and Jaguar are both unreliable and considered a risky bet. There are plenty of horror stories from the owners of both who ended up with lemons and irreparable problems. Only go for it if you really like the looks and you are willing to flip a coin on the reliability and not getting stranded on the road aspect.

2. I might upset some people here but horsepower is really the only thing that actually measures power. It is torque multiplied by rpm / 5250.
A car with more horsepower than torque just means it revs above 5250rpm and one with more torque than horsepower means it revs below 5250 rpm.
The same car with more horsepower is always faster. However many people, like myself, do not really enjoy revving the car up often and prefer staying at lower rpms and shifting early for fuel economy/less noise. In this case, more torque at lower rpm is useful because it is more efficient and you also get better accelerator response without downshifting. In either case, 50nm of torque is barely going to make any difference in an X3, while 60hp definitely will (check them both as % figures to better understand why)

3. Maintenance is basically the same-ish with slightly more for the diesel unless you take fuel costs + mileage into consideration.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th June 2022 at 00:59. Reason: Trimmed quoted post.
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 07:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
• Priced at a hefty premium thanks to it being a CBU
• Ordinary performance from the 2.0L diesel. It's not the most refined motor out there either
• Better for 4 adults onboard than 5
• Jaguar's after-sales network isn't a match for that of Mercedes or BMW

I beg to differ with you sir, but the jag is neither overpriced nor is it a CBU. It's quite well priced IMHO 'cause it's sizing and pricing is that of a segment between the X3 & X5.
It's even a VFM offering in someways when you consider the price of a similar car (Velar) which is full 10L more expensive in lieu of just air-suspension.
Also, the jag has 60% of the interior of a 3cr RANGEROVER!
Attached Images

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th June 2022 at 08:15. Reason: broken quote tag fixed
Old 13th June 2022, 19:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!
Your post has BMW X3 written all over it. You may want to look at a fellow bhpian's 8000+ Km road trip to Ladakh. The car seems to have performed well in treacherous terrains. BMWs are also quite reliable in general.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...in-passes.html (Fairy tale of a Bimmer - Bangalore to the land of high mountain passes)
sid_deb is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks