Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2022, 17:51   #31
BHPian

Re: Planning to buy a pre-worshipped Audi A6 | Need advice and guidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_m5 View Post
Did you forget the all the German car manufacturers cheated on emissions testing and paid out billions in fines?

Did you forget that all cars are poison emitters? Not only cars, everything you use has a carbon footprint to it. There's no magnitude for crime. Why call out only German autos? As if all Japanese, Koreans and Americans spew out elixir of life. For all I care, it's one group of people (VW Management) violated rules set by other people ( Govt). These rules aren't even applicable to India to begin with. Suddenly things which were legal aren't anymore. They could have easily sold those cars 20 years ago, but not now. That's just how the law works.

Quote:
For all we know their diesel cars on the road today are poison emitters that people should stay far away from.
This has to be some sort of joke, what about the many decade old buses you see on the road? What about the old diesel engine used by IRCTC? Surely you can see the smoke coming out of them? Is it not poison?.
I like it when people just focus on law and not the intent of lawmaker. The intention of emission standard is to encourage auto companies to cut down emissions gradually. Some countries are more aggressive on this. If they really want to cut down emissions, they should focus on factories and ships and build electric freight corridors. Cars aren't the major source of emissions. They are just easier to force. Typical government inefficiency.

I'm sorry I do not know what point on my original post triggered you. As far as I know, no one in this thread is talking about emissions.

By your logic
1). Ford is a coffin manufacturer because they skipped on K Truss in Endeavor
2). Hyundai, Kia and Suzuki are also coffin manufacturers because they sell inferior products here.
3). Tata motor's cars do not move and are always broken down because JLR isn't reliable.
4). Mahindra just makes glorified tractors.
5). Toyota is a bloody capitalist sucking out money from working class.
6). Honda is a depressed company & can give you the same, because their USP isn't in trend anymore.
7). MG is a cheap chinese contraption that sets itself on fire.

Should people stay away from all of the above companies? By the way which car do you drive? Just asking.

I do not advocate cheating on emissions. I also do not advocate calling out on certain manufacturers because they violated some rules in other countries which aren't even relevant to us.

Last edited by Siddarth_Ramani : 20th May 2022 at 18:01. Reason: Adding additional points
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 19:17   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Have to disagree on the ownership costs, people always upgrade their cars and get used to the new costs fairly quickly or most people already have a fair idea of what they are getting into. Again, 67000 isn't a lot for that 2.0 TDI and other things can be managed via a competent FNG. Also air suspension shouldn't be a big deal now since it's been there for a while and a lot of people know how to work around it. Worst case, a conversion to normal suspension can be done which will still be a better car than Octavia/Slavia.

This is a good lateral upgrade I would suggest and since OP tends to keep his cars long, he can use it to fullest once the problems are fixed ( if the problems crop up in first place). Just invest some extra money aside and stay on top of maintanance. It's fun to take risks sometimes, we learn it it fails or have immense fun if it works out. As long as OP knows what demon he's dealing with, it should be alright!
Completely agree that OP would expect a higher cost of maintenance and it is natural with every upgrade - not just cars.
While routine service may see a marginal increase in cost, especially if done at a good FNG, the other maintenance costs are the real killers, and given OP mentioned the A6 in question is already exceeding his budget, many members just want to re-emphasize the true costs of owning a German car in India, so it doesn't come as a surprise later : a calculated risk.

In fact, there was a post by a member on another thread detailing how he's spend Rs. 3L on his pre-owned 5 year old Mercedes within a year : many items of which were unexpected.

I myself picked up a pre-owned 328i over a new vRS but made sure to have enough left over for maintenance.

The engine is reliable no doubt and would be the least of his worries. However we were easily exceeding 1-1.5L / year average on our 2011 A6 especially as it aged : every 4 years would see new 18" tyres and a DSG oil change which would be 1L right there combined.
Then there is routine service costs (including preventive maintenance like belts and chains), and rubber parts that start giving way due to the heat (think windshield rubber linings, rubber mounts, etc.) : it can be pretty brutal where OP resides.
Lastly, it's a German. Across brands they all have the same issues in India which one should be prepared for : sagging roof liner, AC, the odd sensor, etc.
Heck, with most of these cars - if your DRL goes out or LED tail light goes bust : you have to change the entire unit, not just a bulb.

You also raised the option of converting to regular suspension. Unfortunately this too may not be plug and play: could require to replace some modules and wiring harnesses while risking spoiling the brilliant air suspension set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
A6 usually goes very cheap in India (pre owned)
Surprisingly the A6 resale value is pretty decent compared to the F10 & W212. We sold ours at par to what a similar F10 or W212 would have commanded.
SUVs hold on to their values better however, given the market preference for SUVs.

Quote:
Have you tried a Lexus GS350 / GX450 / LS500 etc? It makes the Audi feel cheap and utilitarian in comparison, especially in terms of overall craftsmanship, mechanical quality and ride comfort. I'm sorry but the A6 is pretty much average in terms of ride quality, practicality and performance in the premium segment especially in comparison to the equivalent Japanese rivals.
I sincerely hope the LS500, GX450 are significantly better than the A6 which costs 30-40% of the asking on one of those.
Same for the GS350 which isn't available in India (and neither is the GX450).
The true rival for the A6 Matrix is the previous gen ES300H : a proper luxury cruiser that scores on peace of mind, has a nice soft ride quality in the city, etc. However, the A6 Matrix as sold in India still offers better quality interiors (the switches), better ride and handling, and arguably better practicality (namely ground clearance).
PS: no biases, we replaced our 2011 A6 2.0TDi with the current generation pre face-lift ES300H.
And yes, the previous generation ES300H could be a good alternative to the A6 for those who want a good, reliable, low running cost, comfortable sedan for the city run : especially if chauffeur driven with the reclining rear seats!
lamborghini is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 10:03   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Have you tried a Lexus GS350 / GX450 / LS500 etc? It makes the Audi feel cheap and utilitarian in comparison, especially in terms of overall craftsmanship, mechanical quality and ride comfort. I'm sorry but the A6 is pretty much average in terms of ride quality, practicality and performance in the premium segment especially in comparison to the equivalent Japanese rivals.
Lexus GS? Rated 5.5/10 by venerable Car and Driver. A poor rating unworthy of even considering unless one is mad about Lexus. Unranked!
Positives? Comfort!
https://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/gs

Lexus GX? Rated 5/10. Again unworthy of buying. Ranked 30th amongst peers!
Verdict: If you need serious off-road capability in your mid-size luxury SUV, the GX is one of few choices available—but it comes with more than a few compromises.
https://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/gx

Lexus LS: Rated 7/10 (mediocre at best) and note it competes with A8/S-class/S-series. Ranked 7th amongst peers.
https://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/ls

2018 Audi A6 which the OP is considering?
Rated 9/10 in the year of release and an "Editor's Choice" car for 2018 by C&D.
https://www.caranddriver.com/audi/a6-2018

Lexus is one perpetual brand which has been having luxury ambitions since decades but as of today is bought only for "comfort" and "reliability" by the buyers but these are hardly enough to propel Lexus into the league where is wants to be. Even Hyundai Genesis has shown much greater improvement in style and handling and beating Germans in many segments like full size SUV and even entry level luxury car/SUV.

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 21st May 2022 at 10:07.
OffRoadFun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 13:58   #34
BHPian

If I was keeping my cars for 15 years, I would buy a new one instead of spending 20L+ on a pre-owned one. I don't know much about German cars but I understand they cost 1-1.5L a year to maintain. Since you are coming from a DZire, it will be a 10X jump in maintenance. If you are keen on it, I would recommend you get it checked from ASS once rather than relying solely on the word of the workshop owner.
yashg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 17:52   #35
BHPian

I bought a Pre-Owned 2013 Audi A6 2.0 TDI in October 2021. The ODO meter read 56000 kms when I bought it, so I don't see your 67000 kms as a problem. I have driven 7000+ kms on both city and highway roads since then and to be honest, I love the car. I upgraded from a Tata Tigor to this, so I can relate to how you would feel after upgrading to an Audi from the Dzire.

A few issues that have troubled me since the time I started driving. To be honest, I was prepared for these issues so it didn't hurt me mentally.

- The air suspension on the front left side gave up. I got this repaired from the dealer as it happened in the very early stage of ownership.
- The left control arm gave up after a few hundred kilometres. My best guess, the dealer hid the faultiness of this part at the time of delivery. It was my fault too that I didn't conduct the PDI correctly. It cost me INR 18,000 to replace both left and right control arms.
- The engine underbody shields are non-existent. I am trying to find the right replacement for this and struggling for the last few months.

To conclude, I would suggest that if you are okay with spending a bomb on maintenance and mentally prepared for small issues, you should go for an A6, otherwise you should pass. No one can actually give you an estimate on how much would the maintenance cost you per year, but you should be prepared for spending at least one hundred thousand to one hundred and fifty thousand rupees per year. As an Audi A6 owner, I can vouch for the car being worth your money.
bigbearddriver is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 18:16   #36

I was in the same boat as you at some point looking at multiple luxury used cars and trying to assess if I should get them. Eventually I decided against that and got a brand new Tucson Petrol GLS. After 2 years, I think it was a brilliant decision. For someone who keeps their cars for long durations, a new car makes much more sense. Also, in my humble opinion, if you are buying a used luxury german car, you are better of having it as the second or third car of the family. The reliability (and depending on your budget - running costs) needed from a primary car are just not there.
absingh911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 10:50   #37
BHPian

Hi, I know reading through the inputs of all experienced bhpian above, if I was in your shoes my dilemma would still continue to exist (not with regards to the current car you are looking- I would let go of that model for obvious reasons stated above). Dilemma with regards to whether to upgrade to German luxury car. So here is how I would think about it and hope it helps.
1. The driving experience, the premium feeling, the safety and features go in the favour of the the upgrade. I have driven quiet a few ill maintained big 3s and always wondered how come it still brings a smile on my face when I drove them as compared to newer cars for lower price point segments.
2. Coming from your dzire ownership, you always had a hassle free, reliable workhorse that got the work done and I guess you were quiet happy with it. If you just think deeper how much was it because it didn't cost you as much in repair bills?. I know my dad always slept peacefully when we owned a maruti during our financially difficult times of the past.
3. When we upgraded to VW from maruti it was very difficult for my father to comprehend the service costs he always ended up comparing with Maruti and still does today. So what mindset do you come from?? Only you can answer that.
4. So I own a skoda(my dream car always) rapid named whiteCandy and few months ago because of a rat problem(diagnosed a bit late) I had a hefty repair bill. The car needed to be sent for repairs every other week with some or the other problem. Believe u me I was ready to let go of the car,(sorry my white candy, I thought about cheating on you&#128540. But all things said when repair bills/running cost are high it does take away some element of joy. Whenever I drive my car I always have smile on my face but this difficult times changed that for a while. So think along these lines as well.
Once you make your decision this forum is full of people who will help you in picking up a great car for you no doubt about that.
Regards
Old 30th May 2022, 13:44   #38
BHPian

autobahnjpr really keen to know if you pulled the trigger on the Audi A6. Kindly update.
Old 30th May 2022, 18:00   #39
BHPian

I would like to express my sincere thanks to all the forum members who replied with their valuable advice and insights.

H-E-A-R-T has ruled and I have decided to go ahead with the purchase. I am keeping my fingers crossed and sincerely hope that things will work out all right. I am currently not much worried about the financial costs etc. as I have already factored that part. The deal includes all works to be done including full service of the car before delivery. After transfer to my name, I have to purchase the insurance and a new fastag.

The car is undergoing final polishing, touching and cleaning and is planned to be delivered on 1st of June 2022.

Stay tuned for more updates on my owner experience and other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
autobahnjpr really keen to know if you pulled the trigger on the Audi A6. Kindly update.
autobahnjpr is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 20:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
H-E-A-R-T has ruled and I have decided to go ahead with the purchase.
Heartiest Congratulations on going through with the purchase. Wish you a lot of comfortable kilometres with your pre-loved A6. Seeing the four rings every time when getting into the car is worth the money you have spent. Specially when upgrading from a MS Dzire.

Last edited by adi.mariner : 30th May 2022 at 20:20. Reason: Grammar
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 07:51   #41

Audi's are known for high maintenance and the fact that you're going to retire in a year or so, this car will eat up your money. I would highly suggest not to go with this purchase. The vehicle may look tempting, fancy etc but think practical, at the end of the day you'll have to shell out lot of money for the maintenance.

My Suggestions:
1. A pre-worshipped Skoda Superb.
A L&K variant is as good as A6 in space, comfort, Ride quality and performance too. For the money you gonna spend you'll be getting a lot with this car.
MullapuDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 12:16   #42
BHPian

Could you describe the exact nature of worship? A car that has been to an independent garage in the warranty period and has scratches and dents all over should not qualify. In fact, any car that's been sitting in the garage being worshipped instead of driven is only going to give you problems in the future. I would much rather buy a car that has been driven and serviced regularly vs a hardly used only stored car. The whole premise of pre worshipped is absolutely laughable if you can't show proof of meticulous maintenance records including washing and polishing.

Also yes, the A6 and Audis in general have more electronic gizmos, more moving parts usually indicates more maintenance cost and sometimes frequency of part replacements.

Read up on the specific model year, check it thoroughly, get a sense of cost of upkeep and preventive maintenance before you buy would be my advice. Also check for parts availability and wait times since you are used to a Dzire on which none of these parameters are an issue. Seeking a general opinion of "Audis are not reliable" or "German car, hence surprises" on the internet is just lazy IMHO. And laziness while buying a used car usually results in nasty surprises unaccounted for in your price discussion.
Old 14th June 2022, 12:39   #43
BHPian

If you can still turn away from this deal, then do it. No matter how many assurances, polishing and cleaning sessions a dealer throws in I would not put my hard earned money into buying a used (and 67000 kms run!) Audi A6.

The novelty of driving a luxury car will fade away in a flash. The steep service and repair bills will give you enough heart burn that you will be unable to enjoy the car. Many learned TBHP members have already pointed out the challenges with the 'air suspension' system of an A6.

Hope you reconsider your purchase decision and step away from this deal. Best of luck!
Old 4th July 2022, 15:50   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Was in same boat some time back but decided against touching any luxury marques. Mostly the first owner ends up enjoying the fruits of the new car benefits with the safety net of warranty and subsequent owners enjoy the bitter fruits of depreciation and huge maintenance costs.

These cars are hard to run on Indian roads. An average middle class person can easily afford a 4 year old luxury car, but will get frustrated soon with frequent troubles and huge repair costs. 20-22 lakhs is good money. No way to write off depreciation if you are salaried and may have to finally sell it off at scrap value.
Seriously? Of course the new owner enjoys the benefits and warranty of the new car. He/She paid for it. Everyone has the choice to buy new.

And regarding the depreciation, correct me if I am wrong, but the biggest depreciation is ALWAYS taken by the first owner.

People buy used precisely for these reasons, which are quite the opposite of what you are saying.
nidhikapoor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 13:06   #45
BHPian

Re: What to do with my pristine Audi A6 which is 10-years old in Delhi-NCR?

The German Itch

Dear BHPians, Please excuse the long post but would sincerely appreciate some advise here

A close friend has an immaculate Audi A6 (Diesel, 2014 registered) which he was planning to exchange for a new Car (XUV, Vitara etc. in contention), only because the car will be unusable in Delhi commencing January 2024. I have witnessed the car being purchased and been privy to its maintenance as well. He has been offered 10 Lacs by used car dealers

More about the Car:

- Exceptionally well maintained Audi A6, TDI, Premium Plus. 2014 Registered, Delhi Number
- 3rd Owner, but only because the 1st transfer was from a company name to an Individual name. The car was bought used from an Expat in Feb 2019 with about 20k on the ODO and was Audi Approved
- Current ODO is around 32k with regular servicing and maintenance, very sparingly used
- Insurance valid till July 2023

Now the predicament; Have been wanting to add another car to our garage purely for driving pleasure, safety, space and some highway trips, without burning a hole in the pocket. Current cars in the house are 2016 Creta Petrol AT (Self Driven) and 2020 XL6 (Chauffer driven). If I was to purchase the said Audi then I would buy it being aware that I would only be able to keep it for about a year before I have to sell it outside (unless the NGT rule in NCR changes). Have booked the Hycross but can very well defer the purchase for another year if it makes commercial sense

Guidance needed:

- At 10 Lacs, given the condition of the car shared above. Is it worth it?
- What is the anticipated depreciation hit post 1 year that one should expect. Is it fair to expect a price of 7-7.5 Lacs in a years time, where the next owner would effectively be the 5th owner?
- Is the NGT Ban valid from the date of cars manufacture or date of registration?
- Any experience in someone selling their Car at the end of the 10 year period outside NCR. How smooth/difficult is it?
- I understand this may be an experiment but is the car's depreciation hit fair for the "Audi Experience" for a year?

Thanks a lot for your help and advise here

Last edited by amit_2025 : 2nd December 2022 at 13:23.
amit_2025 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed