Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2022, 17:37   #31
BHPian

Re: BMW M5 Competition vs Mercedes-AMG E63S

Since you are looking for a daily car. The air suspension on the E63s will allow you to do that compared to the M5C. This statement is based on experience, I have a 530D and C63s at the moment. Both cars are fun to drive, and offer loads of features. Air suspension on a performance car is like having your cake and eating it too
Old 24th May 2022, 19:50   #32
BHPian

I am no game in this league (Above 1 cr) of the auto world. Especially a sports car.
However, as an enthusiast, and in your shoes, my obvious choice would be an exotic one like a Porsche, Ferrari, Mclaren, Lambo, Maserati, Bentley or something else.

1. Since you are already coming from a 530d, I strongly don't see the M5 (or) E63S value for money except for the big heart under the hood and few quality & feature upgrades.
2. A 2cr car (be it sports or executive or SUV or anything) is all about experience and only experience - About the car and the brand. So going to a M5 or E63S from a 530D WILL definitely not give that true sense.
3. Regarding your concerns about the GC, if your 530d was scratching the bottom, how different will it be whether you choose a M5/E63 or a porsche, ferrari or something else.
4. Practicality and experience are the opposite poles of a true V8 experience. And given a place like Bangalore, considering a V8 for daily drive is a total bummer. There will be absolutely no difference (in terms of V8 experience, which is your top priority) at all in the Bangalore roads whether you drive a drive a W16 Chiron or a Maruti Swift
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 20:52   #33
BHPian

Razor,

First of congrats for being in this "tough" situation. JK

I have not driven the current M5C but the E63 is an epic car. However, both in Bangalore for daily use may be overkill. The traffic is back at full force and with all the metro work and road work going on, there's a guaranteed risk of headache (and even possible damage to your wheels). I recently drove the M340i and it was perfect for our roads and had more than enough power for the city and highway runs.

Combine that with a Porsche 718 for weekend highway drives and night drives and you'll be completely satisfied. You should be able to get a used one for under 1.2Cr and your sitting at a golden garage at under 2Cr.

Just my practical two cents. But if the heart is pulling you for the M5C you will not be disappointed. A cold start V8 will always remind you in the morning that you're not sitting in your 530d.
showboat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 21:27   #34

Decide what makes you happy and something you have to live with everyday! For eg I find it very impractical to drive a Z4 to work in a congested traffic.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th May 2022 at 21:32. Reason: Removing spaces from before punctuation marks :)
Old 25th May 2022, 01:09   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0r View Post
@Akshay1234: I was not able to test drive any of the two cars. So no personal experience there.
Quote:
Is this still the case, if I go for the new M5 Comp LCI I will get the pops and bangs?
The LCI M5 still has the pops and bangs. Ive experienced them myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viren83 View Post
With the M5, there'd be hardly any special feeling when you're moving to the 80% same interiors/exteriors while paying thrice the amount. Have you driven the M8?

I'd go with GTO's advise - Ferrari.
You already said you go for meetings, nothing would come close to your presence in the board rooms
Well with the M its not just about the interiors/exteriors. Its the driving pleasure. After owning two 3 series (E90 and F30lci), and now an M3, I can safely say an M car is an event in itself.

The M5 would give him the advantage of blending in a bit more than any Coupe would (which some people appreciate), while also turning enough heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blore_boy View Post
I was invited to NATRAX where I got to test drive the E63S, and was able to drive the M5C on Bangalore's "amazing" roads.

I'm expecting my E63S by June.
I believe if you test drove the E63s on Bangalore roads vis a vis the M5, your opinion may be slightly different on the ride. That being said, its not that the ride quality on the E63s is a deal breaker in any manner, its just not as supple as one would expect an air suspension to be. It also does handle like no air suspension should though.

The fact it can be raised and the practicality that brings is certainly an important point. I used to be able to drive my CLS63 everywhere without a second thought.

Congrats on the E63s btw.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th May 2022 at 01:10.
Old 25th May 2022, 02:19   #36
BHPian

Since you are specifically looking for a V8, why not consider the C63 coupe? Front engine, RWD, AMG V8, killer looks - ticks all boxes and saves you a good chunk too! Also, the shorter wheelbase come in handy tackling bumps and craters in the city.
Old 25th May 2022, 10:08   #37
BHPian

Apologies for a late update, got caught up in life. So summary is I connected with some M5C owners to get a first hand experience, sadly couldn't connect with any E63S owners. The verdict is M5C is bearable on road and with time the suspension becomes better. I don't want any attention on me on the road hence not going with what @GTO suggested (The Ferrari: One day may be). M5C LCI pops and bangs which serves my purpose of the character, I also talked to Pradeep from RaceTech in BLR and and AKRO catback is a viable option if I want it louder and with more character.

I am sticking with my M5C LCI decision until someone changes it in the next few days with something magical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Or buy A45S for now and plan for a Porsche/Ferrari in near future. It's hard to justify the cost of new M5 after owning 530D. Just my personal opinion.
@androdev A45S is amazing no doubt, but I can't go back to a hot hatch, not my style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
V8s are a dying breed and one must grab one or preserve one if possible.
@Sahil I don't see myself driving an electric anytime soon, but if Tesla comes to town, I am game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It will be there but muted, I haven't driven the LCI so can't compare but you can have a look at this comparo.
So I connected with few M5 LCI owners and boy this car pops and bangs like anything here is the link https://www.instagram.com/tv/CX_BWJX..._web_copy_link

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
In my mind, M5 is the ultimate family sports sedan.
@amol4184 my soul is saying M5 M5 M5 M5.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by viren83 View Post
I'd go with GTO's advise - Ferrari.
You already said you go for meetings, nothing would come close to your presence in the board rooms
@viren83: Ferrari is too much attention, I don't want that kind of attention on the road, rather only get attention from people who know cars hence the choice of M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
This is very much a heart over mind decision. Close your eyes and ask yourself what car would you rather walk up to every morning and drive.
GreasyCarb55: If I close my eyes I can't see anything other than a M5 but I wanted to make sure its not a bad decision, which I think its not with my requirements. And yes I am going to daily it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blore_boy View Post
I'm expecting my E63S by June.
Congratulations man, Would love to catch-up on a weekend drive one day if you are in BLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
If your purpose of the car is to avoid unwanted attention and enjoy the super car like thrills, M5 is the best option.
@Ashish_VK: Yes that the exact intention, no attention and practicality of a daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustpipe View Post
Since you are looking for a daily car. The air suspension on the E63s will allow you to do that compared to the M5C.
@exhaustpipe: Yes that's exactly what I was worried about when I started to shortlist the options and M5 and E63s were the two which fit the bill in terms of what I wanted. After talking to a few M5C owners I am convinced now that the suspension is not that bad at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
But if the heart is pulling you for the M5C you will not be disappointed. A cold start V8 will always remind you in the morning that you're not sitting in your 530d.
@showboat: I am looking forward to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991.2GT3 View Post
Since you are specifically looking for a V8, why not consider the C63 coupe? Front engine, RWD, AMG V8, killer looks -
I considered it but not enough for a family trip.
raz0r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 12:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:

I considered it but not enough for a family trip.
I looked into potential options and when it comes to brand new cars you have 4 options are 2 of them are very much out of budget. I was looking at some sportscars (718 Spyder, 911 Carrera, Used ferrari's and Lambos etc) but didn't include them here as it seems you want a daily driver and not a weekend toy.
  • Audi RS7 Sportback - 2.84 Crore OTR Bangalore
  • BMW M5 Competition - 2.19 Crore OTR Bangalore
  • Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG - 2.22 Crore OTR Bangalore
  • Porsche Panamera Turbo S - 2.66 Crore OTR Bangalore

The RS7 Sportback although a very sleek looking car is approaching the 3 crore mark. Love it but not worth 2.84 crore.

Mercedes E63 AMG - I will reserve my judgement on this as I do not know much about this generation of E63 AMG.

Porsche Panamera Turbo S - Again, overpriced. The 2.33 Crore Panamera GTS is down on power (473hp) and the Turbo S that does compete with the M5 Competition in terms of power is about 40 lakh more than the M5.

The M5 is the best here IMO, you get one of the most loved sport sedans in history and one that is explosive and might as well be the last BMW sedan to be solely powered by a Petrol engine (next one is supposed to be a V8 Hybrid) and you can divert all power to the rear wheels turning it into a BMW TT V8 powered smoke machine . It's fast too, it's not only the most powerful car here but can keep up with cars well past the 3 crore mark, the M5 (the base M5 not the M5 Competition) posted a time of 1:20.4 around The Grand Tour "eboladrome" test track, that is the same time as an Aston Martin V8 Vantage (3.45 Crore) and a 911 GT3 RS (Not available now, but the base GT3 is 3.13 Crore). People will point out the 530D like looks but isn't that the entire point of the "Sport Sedan" segment? Having a do it all sedan that will keep up with Ferrari's and Porsche's on the open road.

I hope they sold the Alpina B5 here as that is an M5 that is on the softer side and would solve your one problem with the M5, the stiff suspension. Anything modern that is german and has a Turbo charged V8 and 5 doors will sound a bit muted on the inside but some aftermarket pipes should fix that

M5 Lap starts at 8 minutes and 58 seconds (8:58)

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 25th May 2022 at 12:38.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 11:45   #39
BHPian

New update: I was able to drive both the E63s and the M5 comp. Let me tell you that both are the best cars I have ever driven. I think I might consider buying the E63s over the M5. Here are my reasons:

1. Ride quality: I drove the M5 comp first and I was very happy that in comfort mode the car is perfectly driveable which I was most worried about. I took a drive in E63s and it is definitely better than the M5 IMO. The ability to raise the car is very useful in BLR.

2. Interior: 100% better then the M5 LCI (IMO)

3. Small but effective feature is cylinder deactivation, E63S can run on 4 cylinders when in economy mode.

I am bending towards the E63s after driving it. I know I am disappointing the BMW fan in me but I am also excited to know the E63s better.

Will keep you guys updated.

Cheers!!!

Last edited by raz0r : 27th May 2022 at 12:09.
raz0r is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 16:25   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I agree, and sane minds will always buy the E63s, thanks for the unbiased opinion. Cheers
Why aren’t you considering the Porsche Cayenne Turbo. It’s an absolute beast and being an SUV you can take it practically anywhere without worry.

The Cayenne GTS is also has the same V8 as the Turbo. Insane car. Why don’t you explore that ? It would be my choice over the sedans.

E63 and M5 I potentially can scrape on speed breakers.

Last edited by drjaygoyal : 29th May 2022 at 16:29. Reason: Added Cayenne GTS
drjaygoyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 18:25   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
New update: I was able to drive both the E63s and the M5 comp. I think I might consider buying the E63s over the M5. Here are my reasons
Your observations are correct, and if you see my past posts, it's on similar lines. Having gone through this phase, I will suggest you once more consider a separate sports car and a comfortable daily drive rather than going for something like E63 or an M5.

Although maintaining two cars or more can be an issue, the experience of a sports car will be different from an E63. I recently drove the Carrera-S for a while and came back very impressed. I had tried this before buying an M5 but was fixated with 0-100 and Bhp and all that, but now, after owning one, I am sure that the numbers don't give an accurate picture.

911- Carrera S is a sweet spot, but Turbo-S is the one to go for if you can stretch a bit.

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th May 2022 at 18:27.
Turbanator is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 16:40   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjaygoyal View Post
Why aren’t you considering the Porsche Cayenne Turbo. It’s an absolute beast and being an SUV you can take it practically anywhere without worry.
I agree that the Porsche Cayenne is a great car if you want practicality and performance but it's definitely not an alternative to the M5 Competition or E63 S AMG. The GTS model (priced close to the M5 C and E63 S) is underpowered at 454hp and even the Turbo model (542hp) is down on power by about 65-70hp compared to the M5 C or the E63 S (617hp and 604hp respectively).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjaygoyal View Post
The Cayenne GTS is also has the same V8 as the Turbo. Insane car. Why don’t you explore that ? It would be my choice over the sedans.

E63 and M5 I potentially can scrape on speed breakers
It doesn't matter that the Cayenne GTS has the same engine as the Turbo, both of them are less powerful and heavy compared to the E63 S or the M5 C and if you were to suggest mods to improve performance why not do that with the sedans? The M5 and E63 S have already proven that they can keep up with Porsche GT3's and Aston Martin's so why not build upon that? The BMW 4.4L TT V8 and Mercedes-Benz 4.0L TT V8 are good platforms for mods. Plus some aftermarket suspension should fix the scraping issue.

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 30th May 2022 at 16:41.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 16:21   #43

Quote:
New update: I was able to drive both the E63s and the M5 comp. Let me tell you that both are the best cars I have ever driven. I think I might consider buying the E63s over the M5. Here are my reasons:
I've been through the same exercise, researching all I can about these two cars, watching all the videos and talking to as many people as I can. Finally driving the cars themselves, only then did I decide upon the E63S.

If our road and traffic conditions were ideal, then I too would opt for the M5C, heck I would even go for the M5CS(if available here). But, to even come close to enjoying the power these cars have to offer, the E63S is better suited.

On the other end, there aren't as many M5s around town, so it is a little more unique and maybe, just maybe M5 might better retain its value than the E63S due to its lower production numbers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st May 2022 at 16:25. Reason: Quote content trimmed
blore_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 19:38   #44

Two things

1. How can you ignore this generation M5? Which is probably the best M5 and best sports sedan ever made.

2. E63 AMG is no doubt one of the very nice car and it will give you a lot of new experience, but you will miss the BMWness as you drove 530d. What you experience as a former BMW owner, this M5 is gonna multiply it by 1000.
pratyushpks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 16:29   #45
BHPian

Guys I have bought the new AMG E63s (finally...).

Thanks for all the amazing suggestions and to new friends and a brand new journey.

The car is in Mumbai and will ship to BLR by end of the week, will update this thread once I get my hands on my new beast.

Here are some first glimpse of the car:
BMW M5 Competition vs Mercedes-AMG E63S-whatsapp-image-20220609-6.15.34-pm.jpeg

BMW M5 Competition vs Mercedes-AMG E63S-whatsapp-image-20220609-6.15.36-pm.jpeg

Here are the options on the car. (for the curious minds: the screenshot is from dealers desktop and it seems like he hasn't paid for the Windows license )
BMW M5 Competition vs Mercedes-AMG E63S-whatsapp-image-20220613-10.08.54-pm.jpeg
raz0r is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks