Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2022, 17:57   #1
BHPian

BMW M5 Competition vs Mercedes-AMG E63S

I have booked a BMW M5 Competition and also like the AMG E63s. I am not able to decide which one to buy. Here is where I am stuck:

1. E63S is on air suspensions and very good ride quality while ride quality of M5 comp is not that great
2. M5 comp looks more sexy than the AMG

I really like the looks of M5 but have been driving the 530D for the last 3 and a half years.

Should I try the AMG this time or stick with what I really like that is the M5 comp.

Help appreciated.
raz0r is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 19:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW M5 Competition vs Mercedes-AMG E63S

I vote for the E63s. Stiff suspension is not at all a good idea on our roads. No real point in having a fast car if you have to slow down to a crawl on every pothole or road undulation or expansion joint. Unless of course, this is for track only use, in which case just get whatever is the most fun to drive.

Also your average person/non-car guy family members aren't going to see any difference between your old G30 530d and this new M5 and you will have to keep explaining why you bought the same car twice
Cresterk is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 20:07   #3
BHPian

I agree, and sane minds will always buy the E63s, thanks for the unbiased opinion. Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I vote for the E63s. Stiff suspension is not at all a good idea on our roads. No real point in having a fast car if you have to slow down to a crawl on every pothole or road undulation or expansion joint. Unless of course, this is for track only use, in which case just get whatever is the most fun to drive.

Also your average person/non-car guy family members aren't going to see any difference between your old G30 530d and this new M5 and you will have to keep explaining why you bought the same car twice
raz0r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 21:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

If I were to be spending that kind of money, it would have to be on something my heart desires, even lusts for. Sex appeal matters IMO. If the M5 has your heart, why look elsewhere? The E63s might be cushier, but I’m certain the M5’s ride is no dealbreaker.

Sure, some might feel it’s more of the same as the 530d (to an extent from the looks department), but a few cold starts that wake the dead should clear up those misconceptions.

My simple advice; buy whatever makes you happier. You know what you really want, so pull the trigger. And congrats in advance.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 21st May 2022 at 21:54. Reason: I hate typoz
iliketurtles is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 08:20   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0r View Post
I have booked a BMW M5 Competition and also like the AMG E63s. I am not able to decide which one to buy.
What are your priorities when you are buying a sports car? Do you need a fast comfortable car with 4 doors or a fast fun car with 2 or 4 doors? It will be very tough to beat a 530-D with either an AMG or an M5 in Delhi traffic

From my own experiences, it’s difficult to have just one such car in your garage and use it for multiple roles. You should continue using your 530-D and order something totally sporty (2 doors preferably) without worrying much about comfort.

M5 is now around 2 Cr with Zero discounts and long deliveries. As I mentioned previously, I will never pay full monies to BMW and instead get a Porsche or something which does not discount mostly.

I will consider a 6 cylinder 718 series or at least a 911- Carrera-S instead.
Turbanator is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 09:42   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I will consider a 6 cylinder 718 series or at least a 911- Carrera-S instead.
Thanks @Turbanator That's a good perspective, but I have already sold my 530D, Also maintaining two beasts would have been next to impossible for me.
I am looking for that one car fit all scenario and that's why I was even considering the AMG E63s in the first place because of its ride quality.(M5 is love). I went to the Porsche showroom and drove all of them. The only practical car which I can drive from Porsche is the Cayenne Turbo, thanks to Bangalore roads.

I am not settling for anything less than a V8 and Cayenne Turbo is out of budget. The only two options for a V8 around 2cr mark is E63S and M5 comp.

Would love to hear more of your thoughts on this.

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd May 2022 at 09:43. Reason: Quoted trimmed post.
raz0r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 10:46   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have already sold my 530D, Also maintaining two beasts would have been next to impossible for me.
The only two options for a V8 around 2cr mark is E63S and M5 comp.
M5 is a very nice car and I won’t rule that out because of suspension. If you have test driven one, maybe you need to do it again but if never driven, I can safely say, it should be reasonably good. I won’t go by youtube views or hearsay from people who have never owned one. Check if you can get a real-world experience from someone in Bangalore. Here in North, I had no issues whatsoever with the road clearance or the suspension ever.

I don’t like this concept of Air suspension on a sports car . I haven’t driven the E-63 so cannot comment. But if I have to compare say, an X5 with Air suspension vs X6 without Air suspension, I found the latter better with active dampers.

M5 too gets adjustable dampers and I will mostly keep in comfort mode, switching to sports only when the road surface allowed.

Do factor that you will need to order optional 10 lac or so extra to get full leather (else you will get a lot of plastics on door trim/ dash) and most basic options are chargeable on M5. Also, the mileage in the city can be under 5 even with lightfoot. The standard warranty is 2 Years on BMW and deliveries can be 6-8 months.

Comparably, E gets better leather (recheck current builts), has a lot of standard options and gets 3 Year warranty. Local mileage will be better due to cylinder de-activation (trust me it hurts to get 4 km at Rs 160 ) MB may have also have stocks at Pune or in transit.

So, essentially, it will be a tough call to pick the outright winner. If I have to do it again, as I mentioned previously, paying full monies to BMW is difficult and this reflects in resales too.

But, if you have to keep only one car for everyday duties knowing fully that you are running a wolf in a sheep's clothing, I might be inclined towards E63 given how much it scores extra over an M5 in practicality/ daily use with very little compromise (if at all) on the sporty use.

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd May 2022 at 10:48.
Turbanator is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 11:32   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I found the (non-competition) M5's suspension to be comfier than the E63S. In fact, one of the main reasons why I'd pick the M5 over the E63S is the comfortable suspension. Of course, I don't know the spec of our TD cars and what you are buying, but in our media E63S, even in 'comfort' mode, I found the E63S to be firmer than the M5.

Other than that, both are spectacular machines. Having 600 horsepower with a long open road in front of you is one of life's greatest experiences. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking of that drive.

Congrats in advance . Hope you share an ownership report with us .

For that kind of money, please do consider the Porsche 911 range, as well as the mind-blowing Taycan. One drive in the Taycan will change your perspectives. For 2 crores & some change, there is a 458 or two on sale; surprisingly reliable & one of the most iconic Ferraris ever made (the last of the NA V8s). This car would change your life man - do think about it. You'll be giggling in your sleep.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd May 2022 at 11:45.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 12:20   #9
BHPian

Re: BMW M5 Competition vs Mercedes-AMG E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For 2 crores & some change, there is a 458 or two on sale; surprisingly reliable & one of the most iconic Ferraris ever made (the last of the NA V8s).
Thanks very much @GTO. Ferrari is my dream car, the only bottleneck I think(and correct me if I am wrong) the ground clearance(I am scared of hitting the belly every time). I live in Bangalore the city of speed breakers(huge ones), even my 530d was not able to clear them and every time it hit the bottom my heart broke.

I considered the 911 and saw it personally at Porsche Bangalore, same issue of ground clearance. I will hit every speed breaker in Bangalore.

Another reason to consider only the two super saloons is the daily drive need. Most of my time will be spent in the city driving to my office or to a meeting.

I really want to buy a Porsche/ Ferrari but practicality is stopping me to do so.

Am I being a puss or being mindful I am not able to decide, thus the post on TBHP but my gut says "aukaat mein raho". Help me reach a conclusion. Can we get on a call maybe @GTO?

My Booked M5 Comp:
Name:  m5c1.PNG
Views: 1770
Size:  223.3 KB

BMW M5 Competition vs Mercedes-AMG E63S-m5c2.png

Name:  m5c3.PNG
Views: 1713
Size:  333.5 KB

Last edited by raz0r : 22nd May 2022 at 12:24.
raz0r is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 16:29   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most of my time will be spent in the city driving to my office or to a meeting.
I once accompanied a friend to meet a psychiatrist to discuss his family member's problems. During the discussion, my friend asked the doctor if the problems can be ignored/managed without seeking medical help. The doctor replied that emotions are basic human nature but there is a spectrum/range that is considered a mental disorder. Something like depressed vs clinically depressed.

Wanting to daily drive a sports car for office commute in Bangalore would nearly qualify for a mental disorder. In the CBD, you will be crawling and getting 3 km/l. In the outskirts, you will be scraping potholes and speed breakers. I have an old 911 and sometimes I go into the city with my kid and he is always hopeful for a moment of vroom, and I simply don't get a chance. The city is a choc a bloc!

Quote:

I really want to buy a Porsche/ Ferrari but practicality is stopping me to do so.

Am I being a puss or being mindful I am not able to decide, thus the post on TBHP but my gut says "aukaat mein raho"..
The only solution is to have a two-car garage. Have a comfortable no-nonsense daily driver and have a sports car of your choice for good vibes. You can adjust the usage based on your patience and use cases.

You might want to consider an electric car. Great choice for commuting within city and some exciting options are becoming available. Porsche, Audi, Mercedes and Kia, etc. all have some exciting EV options.

Last edited by androdev : 22nd May 2022 at 16:35.
androdev is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 18:01   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ferrari is my dream car, the only bottleneck I think(and correct me if I am wrong) the ground clearance(I am scared of hitting the belly every time).
You'll be surprised at the ground clearance. People on FerrariChat claim its ~ 180 mm when you enable its "lift" function - related thread.

I say you should pull the trigger. 2-crores is "make me feel like a king" kind of money and there's nothing that'll make you grin like a Ferrari. It'll change your life .

Quote:
Another reason to consider only the two super saloons is the daily drive need. Most of my time will be spent in the city driving to my office or to a meeting.
Buy a used diesel German sedan (E / 5 / A6) for 30 - 40 lakhs later.

Quote:
Can we get on a call maybe @GTO?
Defeats the purpose of a forum . Please ask here. A private exchange helps 1 person, a public post helps thousands!

Quote:
My Booked M5 Comp:
Magical. Obviously cannot go wrong with an M5, but I would seriously get something more exotic for 2-crores.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 19:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The only solution is to have a two-car garage.
Thanks for the suggestion, very valid. I already have a 3 car garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I say you should pull the trigger. 2-crores is "make me feel like a king" kind of money and there's nothing that'll make you grin like a Ferrari. It'll change your life .
Can you point me to the platforms where the 458 is available at the 2cr mark? Let me atleast check it out.

I love this community. Thanks for all the suggestion and feedback. This is a very big decision for me hence the contemplation.

Keep them coming.
raz0r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 00:10   #13

There is an orange Aventador for sale with BBT. It's old (2012) but super hot. And has Billionaire Doors. Happy shopping
BMW M5 Competition vs Mercedes-AMG E63S-orangelamboe2.jpg
drumbrakes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 06:20   #14
BANNED

You’ve answered the question yourself:

Quote:
what I really like that is the M5 comp.
Buy anything else and you’re going to live your life regretting it.
EV NXT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 07:24   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been in a similar dilemma for a long time, since before the pandemic and over the past year or so I’ve had to put this on a side burner.

I’m a person who lives at the peak point of diminishing returns. Although this is all relative and the point also keeps moving higher with time but my heart and mind are aligned when the value proportion is so skewed that even if my wallet were to permit, I wouldn’t pull the trigger.

At 2cr both these cars are just not worth it. Do also bare in mind that both these cars are nearing the end of their life cycle!
The market is crazy right now due to various reasons such as chip shortage etc. The used car market is even worse as people are selling these very same cars for price equal or more than their purchase price! There is also revenge spending happening which is slowly normalising.

I don’t see this lasting for very long with the current economic scenario and improving chip situation. While car makers might continue to create a shortage to their advantage, my hunch is by next year thing will get better for customers.

But since you have sold your 530d and if you cannot wait, I would agree with Turbanator and get a Porsche. Perhaps a Taycan 4S is worth a test drive. You will not lose money on this much even when the market normalises I feel. Hence you could upgrade to something better later. The Panamera is excellent but only the turbo will get you to grin, which is now insanely priced as new or used.
Sahil is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks