Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2022, 16:36   #1
BHPian

Buying a pre-owned Mercedes C300D AMG Line | Looking for advice

Found a drool-worthy C300D AGM line in blue; the final price, including transfer and 1% TCS is 43L, service is due, insurance is due in 1 month, and the warranty got expired just yesterday.

So my total cost would come to 48L (43+ 3.5 for 3 years warranty + 1.5 for service and insurance)

Car Make 2019
Kms driven 30K
New run flat tires at 26K
The car is in great condition

I am buying it from Marqland Jaguar, and the car came to them in exchange.

I have paid a booking amount and have sent it to Sundaram for full inspection today but just wanted to check what you guys think of the deal, am I overpaying, I just love the way it looks and the drive was fantastic; I acknowledge it is not the most practical car in the segment (space, ride comfort)

Just wanted to check if its worth it? My running would aprox 10k per year

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st August 2022 at 17:58.
autohead115 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 02:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying a pre-owned Mercedes C300D AMG Line | Looking for advice

I must preface this by saying I don’t know enough of the price dynamics and realities of your used car market to give a perfect opinion, but it seems like a fair price to me in an insane used car market. So long as the pre purchase inspection checks out, you’re good to go, considering you’re taking the extended warranty.

Sometimes you have to go with the heart, and you do seem smitten with it. Just let the pre purchase inspection check out, and you’re all set.
iliketurtles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 13:32   #3
BHPian

Thank you, the car checks out, except for regular service + consumables (brake pads, wiper, battery) every thing is perfect, including the three years extended warranty I'm closing on around 49L and I'm in a typical head(A new Kodiaq) vs. heart battle (this one) but as you said, I will go with the heart this time and see how it pans out
autohead115 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 23:56   #4
BHPian

It seems a fair price to me as well.
In today’s scenario, prices have really shot up in both new car and used car market.

Just have the car checked up by someone you trust and you’re good to close
SShandilya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 00:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn’t waste 3.5 lakhs on the 3 years warranty. Yes if it buys you peace of mind then go ahead but in reality your warranty claims expected over the next 3 years need to be over 3.5L to justify this. You are buying a model that was towards the end of its life cycle hence most of the niggles were ironed out. Car should be fairly reliable.

Not taking the extended warranty also gives you the freedom to do all your maintenance from a good outside workshop that uses genuine spares. Overall this will save you a lot more and keep your car running in as good condition.

Once the run flats wears out go for tubeless Michelin PS4s or maybe even PS5s would be out by the time your tyres wear out.

Last edited by Sahil : 1st August 2022 at 00:36.
Sahil is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 08:32   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohead115 View Post
Found a drool-worthy C300D AGM line in blue; the final price, in.
Recheck the service estimate and take off some parts like wipers and look for some of the options they add (restoration in my case recently)

Buying a pre-owned Mercedes C300D AMG Line | Looking for advice-screenshot-20220801-8.31.20-am.png

An extended warranty is definitely recommended. You can check 2 Year option as well as usually it is the 6th Year that goes very expensive.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st August 2022 at 17:59. Reason: Moved posts from the MB Maintenance thread.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 16:27   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
You are buying a model that was towards the end of its life cycle hence most of the niggles were ironed out. Car should be fairly reliable.

Not taking the extended warranty also gives you the freedom to do all your maintenance from a good outside workshop that uses genuine spares. Overall this will save you a lot more and keep your car running in as good condition.

Once the run flats wears out go for tubeless Michelin PS4s or maybe even PS5s would be out by the time your tyres wear out.
Completely agree with Sahil.
If the car has been relatively niggle free, it would make sense to skip extended warranty given 3.5L is a huge amount. If you still want to be on the safe side, enquire about a 2 year EW and if you can buy the 6th year warranty later on if needed. Often this works out to be much cheaper!

Also, since warranty is completed and suppose you choose to not extend, I would even look at getting the routine service + discs & pads replaced from outside with high quality, branded parts.

That being said, pay close attention to the brakes (many C Classes have extra squeaky brakes + high brake pad wear), the sunroof & sunroof cover mechanism to make sure it is smooth and do have it cleaned and serviced if needed (our sunroof cover mechanism gave up under warranty and tore the fabric too, and now the sunroof is not opening up - maybe jammed as it seems to be facing some resistance so needs to be cleaned up), steering whine (it's not very audible so do take it to a silent road to hear - a member was quoted Rs. 3L to have some parts changed to resolve this if memory serves me right though since his car was under warranty it was taken care off), and have the alloys inspected for bends and damages owing to low profile + RFT combo, and creaky plastics and rattles from interiors, etc.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 16:52   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
our sunroof cover mechanism gave up under warranty and tore the fabric too,
My w222 has a sunroof cover too issue too. The mechanism is leaving long black lines. Perhaps grease marks from the internal motor.

Car is out of warranty. Hoping to find a fix for this, did you manage to get a new mechanism that works well and also match cloth for the cover?
Old 1st August 2022, 17:09   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
My w222 has a sunroof cover too issue too. The mechanism is leaving long black lines. Perhaps grease marks from the internal motor.

Car is out of warranty. Hoping to find a fix for this, did you manage to get a new mechanism that works well and also match cloth for the cover?
In our case it was done by Mercedes itself under warranty so everything matched.
It was the one scare that had me thinking about getting extended warranty as it was what I reckon to be the most expensive part to go wrong in the initial 3 years.

After-market, it's rare to have someone do the exact same finish as OEM fabric, so this is one of the few parts I would trust the A.S.S. to have a look at.

If the lines are visible, I would get it checked out soon because it shouldn't be an issue with the mechanism as that could result in the fabric tearing - the mechanism is generally hidden from view if I recall correctly in the C so even the roller marks should be hidden.
Old 2nd August 2022, 08:39   #10
BHPian

I know marqland folks close, xf and brother's defender were purchased from there. Few points,

1. Their used car stock is high priced and well maintained cars. Do haggle, they'll come down (things such as add warranty in the pricing)
2. Get the c300 checked from outside additional to asc. I've heard asc not finding everything in some cases. Ping me if you need references here
noufal.ps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:56   #11
BHPian

Have purchased a new XE from Marqland. Good professional people.
Now, this may just be me but 49L for a pre worshipped C300d might be too much. Specially with the latest model which has upped the interior ambiance and price by many notches.

There’s a latest-design 330i going for 43 (iirc) and if you are set on fast diesels (going by your choice of C300d), for around 7-8L more you can get a less run 530d (a version previous to current MY22 double J blade model) and it is a bigger and better car in all the aspects. All.
To give you a datapoint, folks got A6 for 49OTR and I myself managed a new XE for 44OTR

49 for a fast previous-gen C class is probably a lot more heart-decision than it may appear to be.

Best luck.
Tutenkhamen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 16:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutenkhamen View Post
Have purchased a new XE from Marqland. Good professional people.
Now, this may just be me but 49L for a pre worshipped C300d might be too much. Specially with the latest model which has upped the interior ambiance and price by many notches.

There’s a latest-design 330i going for 43 (iirc) and if you are set on fast diesels (going by your choice of C300d), for around 7-8L more you can get a less run 530d (a version previous to current MY22 double J blade model) and it is a bigger and better car in all the aspects. All.
To give you a datapoint, folks got A6 for 49OTR and I myself managed a new XE for 44OTR

49 for a fast previous-gen C class is probably a lot more heart-decision than it may appear to be.

Best luck.
Yeah ive been feeling the same, im also considering gla that would in emi terms wont matter much as the new car interests are lower, could you please tell me about the 330i and your xe purchases in dm?
Old 2nd August 2022, 16:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohead115 View Post
Yeah ive been feeling the same, im also considering gla that would in emi terms wont matter much as the new car interests are lower, could you please tell me about the 330i and your xe purchases in dm?
I don’t seem to have DM access just yet. Sharing my experience here. I came to know of an XE up for grabs in Carwale app. A couple of calls later, I flew to Bangalore, and on seeing the black beauty, I knew this was it.

There is a whole lot of story in the delivery process. The car was delivered pathetically. Stranded on the outskirts of Delhi for 10 days and parked near to a suburb under construction. There was concrete debris all over the car

I had almost cancelled the booking then and there, but luckily my friend convinced me to take the fight to the dealership after getting the car washed. Fortunately, I don't know what concrete debris was; these came clean off.

I commend that Marqland stayed professional and composed all the time, and the fault was with the delivery people. The truck driver just parked it at a random spot (which in broad daylight looked to be the worst possible spot). So my suggestion is to never opt for 3rd party delivery services. Given a chance, I’d have driven it 3k km Banglore -Punjab.

Since then, been in love with this beautiful ride. It’s named Olive, short for Olivia

Mod Note - Please don't use SMS language and proofread before posting.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a pre-owned Mercedes C300D AMG Line | Looking for advice-f079476320f5493ea835aa94d71eb097.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd August 2022 at 17:43. Reason: IDK and other pls spacing and grammar.
Tutenkhamen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 18:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutenkhamen View Post
I came to know of an XE up for grabs in Carwale app. A couple of calls later, I flew to Bangalore, and on seeing the black beauty, I knew this was it.
This is the first time I'm coming across a case where someone is picking up the car in the south and then taking it up north. Karnataka having the highest road tax in India, ruins the market affordability-wise in the second hand market.

Having said that, Congratulations on the beaut! Always felt Black suits Jags the best.
Old 2nd August 2022, 18:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_FWD View Post
This is the first time I'm coming across a case where someone is picking up the car in the south and then taking it up north. Karnataka having the highest road tax in India, ruins the market affordability-wise in the second hand market.

Having said that, Congratulations on the beaut! Always felt Black suits Jags the best.
I got it registered in Chandigarh. It had 3.7k km on Odo so it din’t have a mandate on getting registered in KA.
Yes, in all black, it does look menacing
Tutenkhamen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks