Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2022, 22:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Upgrading from a Skoda Superb - Mercedes E | BMW 5 | Audi A6? EDIT: Bought A6 Technology

Hello everyone!

The time has come to finally upgrade our 2016 Skoda Superb L&K TDI DSG. The car has done approximately 80k kms and will run out of its add on warranty this month as well. We have been pretty happy with the car so far in terms of its performance and most of all the oodles of passenger as well as luggage space it offers. I believe, it has the largest boot space in its class.

I however cannot say that the car has been as reliable as it should have been in the past 06+ years as it has had its share of failures - AC compressor, fuel pump, window winders, water pump and other minor niggles which were all fortunately covered under warranty.

The car is driven by my Uncle who is 60. Just like me, he is a big fan of sedans so has no intention of buying an SUV as he has been recommended by many.

I have told him to specifically to choose between the following in the said order:
1. BMW 530i Sport
2. Audi A6 3.0 TFSI Quattro (I believe they have discontinued this?)
I also feel the Audi might be pretty similar in terms of (VAG) feel to the Superb.
3. Mercedes E250 Petrol

I advised him to look at a petrol engine due to the limited running, higher maintenance costs of a diesel car and diesel prices being almost the same as petrol and also I had advised to move to a higher engine spec over the current 2 litre for a better driving experience. The car is driven out of town once a month.

We will begin the hunt for a new car next week so would like your suggestions on what we should consider from the above options.

Last edited by Epic : 8th October 2022 at 22:25.
Epic is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 00:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Upgrading from a Skoda Superb - Mercedes E | BMW 5 | Audi A6? EDIT: Bought A6 Technology

I don't have much experience with cars from this segment especially the new ones but for what it may be worth, I can tell you what I have observed in my circle of friends; more people I know who buy a 5 series, swear by the product and the brand buying the next generation of the car as soon as it comes out, compared to the E or the A6. That said, might a Volvo S90 be a more ideal upgrade from a Skoda Superb considering the price to space value, than the German trio?
IshaanIan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 01:29   #3
BHPian

re: Upgrading from a Skoda Superb - Mercedes E | BMW 5 | Audi A6? EDIT: Bought A6 Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I have told him to specifically to choose between the following in the said order:
1. BMW 530i Sport
I also feel the Audi might be pretty similar in terms of (VAG) feel to the Superb.
3. Mercedes E250 Petrol

I had advised to move to a higher engine spec over the current 2 litre for a better driving experience.

would like your suggestions on what we should consider from the above options.
I’m assuming you’re only considering new cars. There are no non 2L petrol engines in the choices you’ve listed, the closest would be the E53 AMG. Also, there is no E250 you have to chose between the E200 petrol and E220d/350d. Same deal with A6, only 45 tfsi with the turbo 2L engine currently on sale.

A6 is not as quick as the 5 and neither does it handle corners as well as the 5 and it’s FWD so that should be the first elimination. S90 is a dated design and if cabin ambience is important nothing can touch the E class among these. Don’t forget Lexus ES, best exterior design I find next to the G30 5 series, unfortunately it’s limited to 180 km/hr so don’t buy if that’s important to you (so is the S90 for that matter).

There’s also the jag XF but again that’s quite an old design now and nearing its end of lifecycle. To me it’s between the 530i M sport and E200 (as you rightly don’t want any diesel). E has a better ride (plusher) but is also slower by over a whole second 0-100 and due to its LWB is lumpy around corners, 530i is faster and handles better but doesn’t have the interior ambience the E has. Test drive both and decide.
AJ56 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 09:37   #4

Great line up. Is there a reason for not considering the 630i?
dash2385 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 11:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone!

The time has come to finally upgrade our 2016 Skoda Superb L&K TDI DSG.

1. BMW 530i Sport
3. Mercedes E250 Petrol

We will begin the hunt for a new car next week so would like your suggestions on what we should consider from the above options.
Hiya! Always a fun feeling to go car shopping, isn’t it?

Going through your post, I sense your weariness with your Škoda’s reliability (or the lack of it), and sense you want a modicum of reliability from the next ride.

With that in mind, I think the 530i should be a top pick for you. Fantastic build quality inside out, adaptive suspension works a charm, won’t leave you wanting for features, and the 5 year BSI/warranty plans makes owning one of these an absolute breeze. A calm cruiser that can quickly get its freak on when you want to put the hammer down.

The only fly in the ointment IMO is the space at the back, which, while acceptable, might not be up to the mark for your use case (4-5 people on board when touring). Only you can tell if it has enough space for your needs. If the 530i doesn’t, give the 330 LI a dekko.

And since you’re still evaluating cars, do check out the Lexus ES300 too. It doesn’t have the driving verve of the 5, but as a city car plus highway cruiser, it is excellent. And Lexus’ reliability and service standards are legendary for good reason.

Those would be my top few picks from your list. By all means check out the Audi, but I’m not sure your uncle would want to remain under the VAG umbrella, and I’d personally pick the 5 over the E, all things considered.

Happy hunting!
iliketurtles is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 18:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I can tell you what I have observed in my circle of friends; more people I know who buy a 5 series, swear by the product and the brand buying the next generation of the car as soon as it comes out, compared to the E or the A6.
I too am totally sold with the 5. As a matter of fact, the only upgrade to my Jetta would be the 5 for me. But for my Uncle, he is pretty used to the humungous space that the Superb offers for the price so will need to see that comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
That said, might a Volvo S90 be a more ideal upgrade from a Skoda Superb considering the price to space value, than the German trio?
I love the Volvo and had told my Uncle to consider this as well but we are both not sure on the after sales service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
I’m assuming you’re only considering new cars. There are no non 2L petrol engines in the choices you’ve listed, the closest would be the E53 AMG. Also, there is no E250 you have to chose between the E200 petrol and E220d/350d. Same deal with A6, only 45 tfsi with the turbo 2L engine currently on sale.
We are open to look at a sparingly used car as well or even the dealer display cars; they come with low mileage, offered at huge discounts, company warranty and you will be the first owner.

The AMG will probably be out of our budget. Also, for my Uncle, the space and luxury might be more of a priority over performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash2385 View Post
Great line up. Is there a reason for not considering the 630i?
Will check it out for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
With that in mind, I think the 530i should be a top pick for you. Fantastic build quality inside out, adaptive suspension works a charm, won’t leave you wanting for features, and the 5 year BSI/warranty plans makes owning one of these an absolute breeze. A calm cruiser that can quickly get its freak on when you want to put the hammer down.
Exactly my thoughts.

Quote:
The only fly in the ointment IMO is the space at the back, which, while acceptable, might not be up to the mark for your use case (4-5 people on board when touring). Only you can tell if it has enough space for your needs.
Yes, I don't want my Uncle to feel he has 'downgraded' in terms of space. We will see when we go for the test drives

Quote:
And since you’re still evaluating cars, do check out the Lexus ES300 too. It doesn’t have the driving verve of the 5, but as a city car plus highway cruiser, it is excellent. And Lexus’ reliability and service standards are legendary for good reason.
I definitely will check out the ES300 since it has been mentioned here a lot.

Quote:
Those would be my top few picks from your list. By all means check out the Audi, but I’m not sure your uncle would want to remain under the VAG umbrella, and I’d personally pick the 5 over the E, all things considered.
I had actually told him to move from the VAG stable, but her still holds the A6 as his first preference.

The E200 is our last option since we already have a Mercedes in our garage.
Epic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 17:28   #7
BHPian

The 6 GT offers what the 5 does, along with more space, air suspension and the capability to rise it up when you encounter that odd bad patch of road.

The Lexus ES 300h also is a lovely car to be in, very refined and additionally, would be easier on the pocket with a standard 8-year warranty on the drive train. The interiors too would make you feel that you are in a special place.

Do take a rather long test drive of the E class LWB, Motion sickness can be a real problem in the back seat.

The S90 tbh is quite outdated and has already started to show its age. The Audi A6 is quite good, but that is about it.

If I were in your position, I guess the 6 GT and the ES 300h would be my top contenders.
Mechb63 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 17:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone!

1. BMW 530i Sport
3. Mercedes E250 Petrol

I too am totally sold with the 5. As a matter of fact, the only upgrade to my Jetta would be the 5 for me. But for my Uncle, he is pretty used to the humungous space that the Superb offers for the price so will need to see that comparison

The 530i if he is someone who likes to drive.

The E-class LWB if he prefers sitting in the rear seat. Completely adjustable electric rear seats in the E-class is unmatched when it comes to chaffeur driven comfort.

The A6 if you can get a good discount on it.

As far as I know, the 5 series is a larger vehicle than the superb.

Quote:
We are open to look at a sparingly used car as well or even the dealer display cars; they come with low mileage, offered at huge discounts, company warranty and you will be the first owner.
While this was true 2 years ago, in today's market you would be lucky to get it for 2l below the onroad price of a new car. Shortages of cars, long wait times, low interest loans and people going shopping for new cars like no tomorrow has all lead to the death of the discount model and well priced lightly used model.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 21:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone!

3. Mercedes E250 Petrol
My humble advice - Avoid the E class at all costs. This is with respect to my friend's experience with it. He owns an A6 Technology and X5 30d. He took a test drive of the E class LWB and found it underwhelming in terms of everything. The E's seats are very hard, lack underthigh support and uncomfortable for long drives. Also it's quality and driving experience aren't that great either. It's only saving grace is the rear seat space. In fact, he told me, his A6 is far better than the E in terms of everything. Also the 5 is much better than the E class as well. E will be a huge downgrade to your Superb.

I don't think A6 and Superb are similar. I had experienced the A6 C6 (2014) and the Superb Sportline. Honestly speaking, both these cars were day and night difference. Although the engine might offer similar performance as your Superb. Audi is offering good discounts now and you might get it at the price of a C class.

S90, although VFM and feature loaded, is quite dated now. I'd recommend it only if you want features and exclusivity.

You should rather extend your budget and look for the 6 series GT (especially 630d) instead. That is the only proper upgrade from your Superb.
IREV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 08:54   #10
BHPian

I upgraded to a 520D in Feb 2021 - had a 2012 Passat Highline AT. Before taking the plunge, I drove the A6 & E200LWB.

My short conclusion: If you drive, the 5 series is the one; if you are driven, the E class is good. The A6 fell short of these two.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 11:36   #11
BHPian

I would strongly advice anyone buying a car in this bracket to first and foremost check out the 6GT and then check any other car. You will realise you are compromising on almost all the fronts in other cars (barring the razor sharp handling of the 5).

The 6GT is spacious, loaded to the grill (albeit the 630D - which again is a hoot to drive), extremely comfortable and doesn't drive bad either.

Coming from a Superb - your uncle will have a problem with all the other cars mentioned other than the E and the 6. And to be honest the E doesn't really have very comfortable seats as they lack under thigh support and are way too low to get in and get out of(almost like the superb?) Along with this - the rear seat occupants also face some motion sickness (no clue why).
Considering all this - the 6GT is something which will cover almost everything one might want from a car. It truly is the Swiss army knife of cars! Though it will take sometime for one to get used to the way it looks - other than that, there is no reason why one shouldn't buy the 6GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
As far as I know, the 5 series is a larger vehicle than the superb.
It appears so. but the sheer interior space of the superb is only second to the E.

Last edited by manson : 11th October 2022 at 15:55.
samyakmodi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 13:26   #12
BHPian

I am fortunate to have a 5 series G30 and an older E280CDi in my garage. It’s a simpler choice really. If you’re primarily going to self drive, go with the Beamer. It’s really a drivers car. Whereas if you’re going to be chauffeured around, there’s no better place to be than the LWB mercs backseat. Take your pick.
manishk123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 13:27   #13
BHPian

Hey!

With your primary usage being by a 60 Year old, I'd recommend the E Class over the 5 Series or the A6.

Reasons:

1. Plush interiors, comfort is priority #1
2. Drive: The E Class does not have a true spirited drive which should serve his driving pattern as well.
3. Brand Value: Though all the three sedans you've chosen come from an amazing background of BMW, Mercedes and Audi, but the brand value attached with a Mercedes is something different as compared to the rest.

Also, why not considering the Lexus/Volvo?
aamishdhingra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 19:15   #14
BHPian

BMW 530i seems like the ideal choice among the ones. Also, consider the Lexus ES. It might not be as fun as the BMW but in terrible Indian roads you might enjoy it more than the BMW. The bullet proof reliability and the Hybrid tech are two pluses.
lionheart_mm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 22:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Is your uncle an enthusiastic driver? The sort who puts his chauffeur besides him and then hoons his cars? Goes out for a Sunday morning drive and returns with a grin and smoking tyres? In that case, the BMW is the car for him. If rear space is not a concern, the M340i is a better car than the 520i. The 530d is the ideal compromise, if the economics work for you.

If your uncle prefers luxury and a comfortable back seat, the E has no peer. It is the only sedan upgrade from the Superb worth considering. The 2 litre petrol and diesels are sufficient, but if you drive across the state or on longer distances, the 350d has unending waves of torque, almost like an electric car. It also has better brakes and air suspension.

The 6 series is not a sedan in the true sense of the word, but offers a bit of both of the above. The A6 is a very boring car indeed, and the S90 was a great car but is now outdated.

I went through a similar dilemma myself a couple of years ago. My experiences are documented here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...use-wants.html (How to buy a car that your spouse wants)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
I am fortunate to have a 5 series G30 and an older E280CDi in my garage. It’s a simpler choice really. If you’re primarily going to self drive, go with the Beamer. It’s really a drivers car. Whereas if you’re going to be chauffeured around, there’s no better place to be than the LWB mercs backseat. Take your pick.
Spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
I upgraded to a 520D in Feb 2021 - had a 2012 Passat Highline AT. Before taking the plunge, I drove the A6 & E200LWB.

My short conclusion: If you drive, the 5 series is the one; if you are driven, the E class is good. The A6 fell short of these two.
Again, spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREV View Post
Also the 5 is much better than the E class as well. E will be a huge downgrade to your Superb.
That's a pretty intense statement. I have all three cars in my family, and I find your statement to be the diametric opposite of what I have experienced myself. Do you have quantifiable metrics for this?

Quote:
There is a reason most Mercedes owners are repeat customers.
v1p3r is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks