Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2022, 22:32   #16

Re: 45-lakh budget | Preowned or New luxury car?

I think you should go for the Lexus ES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick6106 View Post
1. I have observed the following statistics for major repair probability in 10 years of ownership: Lexus( 17.2 %), AUDI (30.5%), Volvo(30.46%), Mercedes (35.87%) and BMW(49.8%). The data suggests that BMW is unreliable if held for 10 years with the rest of the brands pretty similar in comparison and Lexus outperforming others.

2. Areas of concern:- Under powered

3. Nearest service center(Delhi) is over 600 kms away,
1. Lexus has killer reliability, and that means almost no concerns about any engine issue . The Japanese also build their cars really well, and the interior of the ES is not your conventional "screens everywhere" interior, rather it is much nore button-based. Personally, I have no issue with this, but to each their own. You can see some photos on the Lexus website here:
https://www.lexusindia.co.in/en/models/es.html#gallery

2.While I agree the car is underpowered , it is more than enough for daily usage and adequate for highway cruising from 90-120 km/ph.

3. Toyota service centres also service Lexus cars, so you do not need to drive that far.

Extra: Since the ES is a hybrid, it's extremely quiet. Really comfy car.

However, I encourage you to test-drive all the cars before coming to a final verdict. Look at some long-term reviews, videos.. etc. and then decide.
Choose a car you are happy with.
All the best!!
Samurai_RX8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 23:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Doubt you will get any of the new germans for 45l onroad. You can try negotiating on a used lexus NX 300h. Plenty of good examples on sale in your budget and since the lexus brand isn't as strong in India and it doesn't look like it has many buyers, you will be able to negotiate it down well. It's a strong hybrid so fuel efficiency and torque will be similar to a diesel + you can take it to the toyota service center in a pinch for smaller issues.

If you want new, I would recommend a fortuner but a new one is about to be launched next year so you are better off waiting. You can also try a used XC60 or XC90, volvos are supposed to be rather reliable.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 11:54   #18
BHPian

1. Your budget of 45L can never get you any new Germans (for the experience you intend to), let alone a 3.0L German Diesel. You probably have to shell out another 10-15L more to get the experience of at least a 2L diesel/petrol for a proper new car German experience.
2. For your usage of 10K on average a year, I don't understand why you need a diesel car. The initial torque matters only if you are an enthusiast driver. The increase in fuel efficiency is already outset by the increased upfront cost for the diesel car compared to a petrol car. The better-built Diesel's (only engines) are worth it only if your usage is on the higher side because diesel engines are built heavier to withstand the chemical and combustion characteristics of Diesel, the high usage, and long working hours. For your usage, a Petrol/EV/Hybrid car makes more sense.
3. You mentioned that your town has quite a few luxury SUVs already, and you still want only a sedan? Now you understand that there is a reason why you don't find a luxury sedan.
4. Even a used/pre-worshipped 3L Diesel for 45L within company warranty is never a possibility. Yes, 2L diesel is possible. Also possible (with a marginal increase in budget) is a 3L petrol.
5. You cannot have the best of all world's - 45L budget, low service/maintenance cost, german luxury, highly reliable, no downtime for servicing, no GC problem for a town like Sagar, a 3L diesel, no SC in your place, and no Toyota/Skoda/Hyundai/etc. I can understand your intention and aspiration to experience the german luxury segment. So I suggest you rethink your requirements and areas where you can compromise.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 21st October 2022 at 11:59.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 12:49   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandot View Post
Sadly there’s such few decent second-hand vehicles available in the market at the moment in Mumbai
I have a hard time trusting car dealers. Second-hand dealers are worse. I guess I am getting more and more paranoid in my old age.

Quote:
Areas of concern:- Underpowered, slow-to-respond gearbox, No badge value, Belly scraping because of soft suspension and low ground clearance.
Camry acceleration is adequate for city drives (before my Camry, I had a Skoda vRS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
just buy a Fortuner or Tucson and close it
Why not a Camry? It's just outside 45L on the road.

I didn't care for the Fortuner's ride. The Tuscon was nicer on my back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
The new Tucson is very unhyundai. It handles well, is fast, and rock steady at high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalfan View Post
I have a Toyota Camry hybrid 2017 model, gives 11-12 kmpl in Bangalore traffic.
I get 11 km/l from a 2012 Camry (not a hybrid) and close to 20km/l from a 2019 Camry (hybrid) in Mumbai traffic. Granted, I am an early riser, so I don't drive much in very heavy traffic.

When it comes to reliability, nothing comes close to the Camry. My 10-year-old car still works well, and I give it the bare minimum of attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
2. For your usage of 10K on average a year, ...a Petrol/EV/Hybrid car makes more sense.
Agreed.

Last edited by navin : 21st October 2022 at 12:52.
navin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 14:06   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandot View Post
Sadly there’s such few decent second hand vehicles available in the market at the moment in Mumbai at least that most dealers are offering Pune registered or ex factory registered vehicles (Mercedes) floating around. Will be watching this thread closely!
Trick with buying pre-owned is waiting for the right car to pop up over a few months, and then doing all the checks to make sure it is a clean vehicle!
1. Paid Pre-Purchase Inspection by the dealer
2. Combing through service records and history, Insurance history
3. Checking dates of warranty, etc. to make sure they match with the date of sale / registration (demo cars are often unregistered, but their warranty period starts from date of use as a demo - not date of first sale, so if you come across a first owner car but the warranty started 6-12 months before the sale, it is more likely to be a demo car which was then sold to a buyer, and then to you (making you the third owner effectively).
4. To help reduce the risks: always keep a few lakh buffer for maintenance, buy vehicles which are low run and under manufacturer standard warranty (not extended warranty) so the warranty can be extended giving you some peace of mind. Our ES was bought 18months old, and our 3 series was 5 years and out of warranty when we bought it - but followed steps 1-3 & kept a significant buffer for repairs (bought it for 2/3 of the budget).
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 14:47   #21

There is Spinny Max, specially for luxury cars - BMW, Audi and Mercedes. Spinny i think is the most reliable used car platform and does all the checks and follow through on RC transfer etc. Might be a couple of lacs expensive but worth it for a big investment.

My best bet would still be a new Camry!!

Note from Mod: Post edited. Please use proper capitalization in your post, especially after periods.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st October 2022 at 14:50. Reason: Please see note in post.
arsenalfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 12:26   #22
BHPian

Tucson it has to be. Though an emotional purchase, like many have said the upkeep will be a task if you are looking for peace of mind in the Big 3. Second hand dealers/branded resellers like Spinny/Truebil in Bengaluru overcharge like crazy and the cars arent reliable. They charge more and offer some crap engine warranty and service schedules that arent valid by the car company. I am not able to put my trust even on 2017/18 cars because of this. One car i finalized had 30k over the odo and was poorly maintained, fortunately had not paid, while another was in a heated argument with the executive since the fact the Rapid MPI that he was sold was an accidental vehicle and this wasnt told to him.

If you are okay with pricey 2nd hand, try The Cars Collective. This is the used car business of the Jubilant group (popular for Dominos). The cars were well maintained and open to take the car to the showroom for a detailed inspection. I walked away from a 2017 Brio VX automatic because of the jumpy braking and also the fact they were charging 6L for 52k run vehicle.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 16:27   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Trick with buying pre-owned is waiting for the right car to pop up over a few months, and then doing all the checks to make sure it is a clean vehicle!
1. Paid Pre-Purchase Inspection by the dealer
2. Combing through service records and history, Insurance history
3. Checking dates of warranty, etc. to make sure they match with the date of sale / registration (demo cars are often unregistered, but their warranty period starts from date of use as a demo - not date of first sale, so if you come across a first owner car but the warranty started 6-12 months before the sale, it is more likely to be a demo car which was then sold to a buyer, and then to you (making you the third owner effectively).
4. To help reduce the risks: always keep a few lakh buffer for maintenance, buy vehicles which are low run and under manufacturer standard warranty (not extended warranty) so the warranty can be extended giving you some peace of mind. Our ES was bought 18months old, and our 3 series was 5 years and out of warranty when we bought it - but followed steps 1-3 & kept a significant buffer for repairs (bought it for 2/3 of the budget).
I drove a 630d luxury line in Mumbai and was quite happy with the way the car drove and it cleared all big humps quite easily.So, I have decided to go for a preowned BMW 630d M sport MY 2020. It is 38k run with BSI plus till 2025 and is in warranty as well.The warranty start date and date of registration coincide.Dealer is asking for 59L. Is the asking price justified? Any other things to look out for?
maverick6106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 18:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I drove a 630d luxury line in Mumbai and was quite happy with the way the car drove and it cleared all big humps quite easily.So, I have decided to go for a preowned BMW 630d M sport MY 2020. It is 38k run with BSI plus till 2025 and is in warranty as well.The warranty start date and date of registration coincide.Dealer is asking for 59L. Is the asking price justified? Any other things to look out for?
Please get it checked by a authorised BMW Service Centre. I think they charge around 10k for it. But they would tell you about the general condition of the vehicle. Any repairs needed or not.
Also IMO 59L is good deal for 2020 630D M-Sport with BSI & BRI.
Here in Delhi last I checked was 2020 630i 25k driven for 61L (other options though cheaper were >60k driven).
Tanmay_868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 10:54   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post
Please get it checked by a authorised BMW Service Centre. I think they charge around 10k for it. But they would tell you about the general condition of the vehicle. Any repairs needed or not.
Here in Delhi last I checked was 2020 630i 25k driven for 61L (other options though cheaper were >60k driven).
Yes I will definitely get it checked at the authorised workshop. Since the vehicle is located out of state, is it necessary to check it physically before sending for inspection? Or Can I just do my due diligence with respect to documents and history and then send for inspection and finally take delivery? At what stage should full payment be transferred? At the time of name change in RC or receipt of form 29,30 and all other docs?
Old 24th January 2023, 12:14   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I will definitely get it checked at the authorised workshop. Since the vehicle is located out of state, is it necessary to check it physically before sending for inspection? Or Can I just do my due diligence with respect to documents and history and then send for inspection and finally take delivery? At what stage should full payment be transferred? At the time of name change in RC or receipt of form 29,30 and all other docs?
You need to see the vehicle before sending it to bmw for the following reasons:

1. You will be the best judge of the wear and tear, including rattles + worn out interior trims, etc. BMW will give you a mechanical overview but if you've driven the car and seen it in person - you can even follow up on any points of concern.
2. If you do not have a contact of a reliable SA at BMW, the inspection could see a few misses. Even at this price level, it's not uncommon to get an inexperienced service advisor.
3. Full payment should be transferred along with the keys and all documents signed and handed over to you if you are doing the name transfer (including NOC from RTO the vehicle is currently registered at since it is out of state). In case the seller is doing ownership transfer then keep a copy of the signed documents with you. Also make sure a clause accordingly is included in the sale agreement - whoever is taking responsibility of doing name transfer.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 08:59   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post
Yes , 59 was a good deal. I missed it as the car was sold on the day I was going to call to finalise it. It was sold in 7 days of listing. It’s definitely a sellers market right now.
maverick6106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 11:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Yes , 59 was a good deal. I missed it as the car was sold on the day I was going to call to finalise it. It was sold in 7 days of listing. It’s definitely a sellers market right now.
Don’t stress over it.
Market is starting to change albeit at a slow pace. With availability of discounts on new cars (Audi,BMW,Škoda) there is surely a shift in Pre-owned car market. Luxury Pre owned car price have started coming back to acceptable limit.
Just that from now onwards you will have to move little fast.
Also think of it as a blessing, maybe God has planned a better option for you
Tanmay_868 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks