Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2022, 16:31   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Upgrading from a BMW 5-Series | BMW X5 30d M-Sport vs Mercedes GLE 400d

X5 is good, but in the last 3 years since BMW launched the car, I have only seen features getting deleted and prices increased. Though it's the same for most cars, X5 is not VFM. The single most annoying missing feature in this, as with most other models from BMW, is the lack of ventilated seats. And, that leather or whatever it is, really gets hot, and one sweats a lot.

Check if any of the MB models get it, or consider the upcoming facelift X7 if you can bridge the budget. LCI variants usually get improved/ updated(reliable) parts.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 00:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_P2324 View Post
After a brief test drive of the X5 30d a couple of days back I am in love with the car. It drives so much better than the GLE 350d. The steering although is not as heavy as the F10 5 series but I'm assuming a few tweaks to the settings through the iDrive can make the steering a tad bit heavy. Overall, a brilliant driver's car.
I was in the same situation last month and I bet, now since you have driven the X5, you wont be able to buy any other SUV.

I test drove every SUV extensively that is available in the market in this price range and ended up buying the X5 40i(for the obvious reasons).
Initially, the X5 was last in my list since I was never a fan of the front looks(similar to the X1 and X3) and the rear upright seat were a big no no for me but once I test drove the Vehicle, I just could not find a better SUV in this price range. It has the perfect size, space, features and power for its segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
X5 is good, but in the last 3 years since BMW launched the car, I have only seen features getting deleted and prices increased. Though, it's the same for most cars, X5 is not VFM.
Like you mentioned, this is the same for almost all the cars in this segment. Prices have increased almost 20-25% in the last 2 years on all the cars and the word VFM is now kinda does not exist(specially in this SUV category) and this was primarily the reason why I took almost 2 months to decide in buying the X5, since the price is quite high with almost NIL discounts .

Just to share, I got almost Rs. 10 lac discount on my 320i in the year 2016 which was a CBU and the petrol variant got launched just 5-6 months back and here we are buying a vehicle for more than a crore and getting almost nil discounts(I got Rs. 2 Lac discount only on X5, that too after 2-3 rounds of hard negotiations).

Its quite clearly a sellers market and as a buyer, we have no option but to go ahead and sign that cheque as I believe(I might be wrong) that delaying the decision or waiting won't bring the cost down due to various factors like inflation, rupee declining etc.
ddndrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 13:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
X5 is good, but in the last 3 years since BMW launched the car, I have only seen features getting deleted and prices increased. Though it's the same for most cars, X5 is not VFM. The single most annoying missing feature in this, as with most other models from BMW, is the lack of ventilated seats. And, that leather or whatever it is, really gets hot, and one sweats a lot. Check if any of the MB models get it
I got a chance to test drive the GLE 300d yesterday, there are no GLE 400d models available for a test drive across the country. I am told the car is assembled as per orders and there is a 10-month waiting period. Comparing it to the X5, the 400d misses out on quite a few features as well. For instance:

1. No 18-way adjustable front seats
2. No Burmester sound system
3. No wireless apple car play and android auto

One feature I found to be most annoying is that the car play does not fill up the entire 12-inch screen.

The only place where it shines is the back seat and I found the seats to be more comfortable.

No ventilated seats on this one as well.

Won't comment on the drive and ride as it was the 2.0 4-cylinder I drove with coil springs.
Old 12th November 2022, 13:59   #19
BHPian

Hello All,

I am happy to share that I have gone ahead with the BMW X5 30d in the Msport trim. I appreciate everyone's input.

The delivery is expected in the first week of December.

I have gone for the Mineral White colour with Cognac interiors

Thanks!
Jay_P2324 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 11:20   #20

Hi friends,

I was in a similar dilemma of choosing an suv which would be driven "only" by me, test drove the x5 40i, Gle 300d, Gls 400d and the x7 dpe 30d (the 40i msport wasn't available for test drive). Already having a Bmw f10 530d in the garage i really wanted to get a merc this time as i never owned one before.

The GLS 400d drove very well for its size and looked very premium, major caveats would be only beige interior option and 3 exterior options to choose from(obsidian black,mojave silver and white).
I would have happily booked the GLS and used it as a family car but the wait time of 5-7 months was not something i was okay with.

The Gle 450 (petrol) was tempting and they had a car available for immediate delivery.The interiors (mbux, the rear seat comfort and space in general) were the main talking points which are in a different league compared to the x5 tbh.My dad was sold on the Gle but somehow even with the inline-6 367 bhp engine i was not convinced.
I wish mercedes india offered amg-line atleast for the inline 6 models, that would have been a complete deal for someone like me and majority on this forum who drive themselves.

The x7 dpe 30d didnt impress me much, though i like the way the msport looks the 6 seat configuration which comes with the 40i msport just didnt suit my needs.

The x5-Finally booked the x5 40i msport carbon black with coffee interiors, the drive is brilliant for the size and for the price the feature set it came with made complete sense as it would be driven by me 99% of the time, the rear seats are not all that comfy compared to the Gle but in insolation the x5 is not bad for the rear passengers.

The car should be home in a weeks time, will share pictures and post an ownership thread if possible .

Cheers!!

Last edited by bimmerboy26 : 25th November 2022 at 11:49.
bimmerboy26 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 15:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy26 View Post
The x5-Finally booked the x5 40i msport carbon black with coffee interiors, the drive is brilliant for the size and for the price the feature set it came with made complete sense as it would be driven by me 99% of the time, the rear seats are not all that comfy compared to the Gle but in insolation the x5 is not bad for the rear passengers.

The car should be home in a weeks time, will share pictures and post an ownership thread if possible .

Cheers!!
Hi Bimmerboy26, which dealership have you booked the car through?

Previously BMW offered only Vernasca leather (Cognac) but recently they have started offering Merino leather in 4 colour options. I am assuming yours is Merino leather in Coffee. I was told that they will be getting the cars with the new leather options next year. I wanted to change my booking to Merino leather as well.
Jay_P2324 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 17:49   #22

Quote:
Hi Bimmerboy26, which dealership have you booked the car through?

Previously BMW offered only Vernasca leather (Cognac) but recently they have started offering Merino leather in 4 colour options. I am assuming yours is Merino leather in Coffee. I was told that they will be getting the cars with the new leather options next year. I wanted to change my booking to Merino leather as well.
Hey Jay, mine is Vernasca leather, they haven’t received stock of cars in merino yet, I was tempted to change my booking to merino as well but I guess I am happy with Vernasca as it won’t make a huge difference in comfort and perceived quality.

Plus there are no other differences apart from the type of leather and i like the colour combo I am getting (carbon black with coffee) and doubt they will receive the same with merino at least in the near future.
bimmerboy26 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 18:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Jay, mine is Vernasca leather, they haven’t received stock of cars in merino yet, I was tempted to change my booking to merino as well but I guess I am happy with Vernasca as it won’t make a huge difference in comfort and perceived quality.

Plus there are no other differences apart from the type of leather and i like the colour combo I am getting (carbon black with coffee) and doubt they will receive the same with merino at least in the near future.
Thanks, Bimmerboy26, even I plan on keeping mine in the same spec. Merino will be arriving next year. I have been told Jan or Feb probably.

Carbon Black and coffee are indeed a great combination.

Congratulations on the purchase!
Old 29th November 2022, 20:36   #24

Quote:
Thanks, Bimmerboy26, even I plan on keeping mine in the same spec. Merino will be arriving next year. I have been told Jan or Feb probably.

Carbon Black and coffee are indeed a great combination.

Congratulations on the purchase!

Thankyou, congratulations to you too!

Hoping to see pics of your beast when it arrives.
bimmerboy26 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 14:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou, congratulations to you too!

Hoping to see pics of your beast when it arrives.
Looking forward to seeing pics of yours as well!
Old 9th December 2022, 12:45   #26
BHPian

Happy to share that I took delivery of my X5 yesterday.

I could only take a short 25km drive from the dealership to the detailers workshop for PPF.
Would soon update regarding my initial thoughts on the car.

Upgrading from a BMW 5-Series | BMW X5 30d M-Sport vs Mercedes GLE 400d-img_1956.jpg
Jay_P2324 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 11:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:

We have owned the 2013 ML350 in the past and have used it for 1,75,000 km, and replaced it with a pre worshipped 2016 GLE350d.

Hey Jay

I am seriously considering a used GLE 350d to replace my family's Mahindra Scorpio. Primary driver of the Merc is my dad and he currently drives a Audi A4 35 TDI. How is the performance of the V6 diesel and the rear legroom of the car during highway journeys. Any specifics I need to lookout for when I inspect a used 350d or some common faults. Your inputs would be really helpful.

Cheers
Cliff
Old 20th April 2023, 22:00   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
Hey Jay

I am seriously considering a used GLE 350d to replace my family's Mahindra Scorpio. Primary driver of the Merc is my dad and he currently drives a Audi A4 35 TDI. How is the performance of the V6 diesel and the rear legroom of the car during highway journeys. Any specifics I need to lookout for when I inspect a used 350d or some common faults. Your inputs would be really helpful.

Cheers
Cliff
Hi Cliff,

My initial plan was to get my friend's GLE 350d after selling the ML 350 but ended up purchasing a GLS 400d instead.

Based on my ownership of the ML, I would suggest the specifics to look into are completely dependent on how old the car is and the odometer reading.

The V6 is a hoot to drive and rear seat comfort is pretty good for highway drives as well. It is not a sharp handler around corners, though it is my perspective since I am comparing it to the X5.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks