Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 00:38   #1
BHPian

What Car Rs.20-25 lacs ?

Hey guys, i am writing this on behalf of my Cousin whos eating up my mind since last couple of weeks . I am not not able to suggest him anything ,hence i thought to put up here .

His budget is between Rs. 20-25 lacs .He only wants a diesel as he commutes 70-80kms a day and goes out for long weekend trips.
He 'll be keeping the car for 5-6 years . Key requirements :

Low service costs(for a luxury car)
High Brand Image
Reliablity
Looks

He is more keen on buying a SUV but can settle for a sedan as well .
He test drove the Three(only three) cars in his budget ,Skoda Superb , Nissan X trail ,Mitsubishi pajero but did not like any for various reasons ...

Skoda superb - He loved the Space and performance but was not impressed by Octavish looks and the Image .These are the two main reasons thats keeping him away .

Mitsubishi Pajero - It simply did not impress him due to its looks although he liked the performance and comfort .

Nissan Xtrail - Took the drive, liked it but again it failed on the looks department and the Image .

He dont want to go for the Tucsons , Endeavours or Lauras since he feel his budget allows him to buy more exclusive stuff .

Unfortunatly(for him) theres no other car left in this Price range and he is getting impatient to own a good vehicle .
Guys please let me know if theres any Good Diesel Car/SUV planned for a Launch in this Year in his budget .

Please help him.

Thanks .
Old 2nd July 2007, 00:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

Since nothing around the budget is attractive enough, stretch that 25L budget a little more and look at a diesel C class or a 3 series, would offer him the image and low running costs he desires.

manson.
Old 2nd July 2007, 00:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Since nothing around the budget is attractive enough, stretch that 25L budget a little more and look at a diesel C class or a 3 series, would offer him the image and low running costs he desires.

manson.
The C class and 3 series(diesel) costs upward 30 lacs and the maintainance is very high and the max. he can spend is Rs. 25 lacs OTR .
Old 2nd July 2007, 00:53   #4
Team-BHP Support

well why not get the Rs.20L accord 3.0L V6 and save the 5L for fuel. classy and powerful.

yup the CRV is also a good choice with 4lakhs to spare for fuel. excellent car.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd July 2007 at 01:05.
Old 2nd July 2007, 01:03   #5
BHPian

Honda's CRV automatic is priced at 22 lacs. mugen kit worth 1-2 lakh(noobies estimate!) performane upgrades @ level 1!!

do check it out here - –³ŒÀ | CR-V | WALLPAPER

here's a preview

p.s: this suggestion is purely based on the assumption that your cousin drives himself!! chauffer driven option could be a black colored 2007 c-class.

Last edited by rev_hard : 2nd July 2007 at 01:06.
Old 2nd July 2007, 01:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

How about the new Nissan teana (thats the name right?), is that available in a diesel variant?

manson.
Old 2nd July 2007, 01:48   #7
BHPian

@Vid and revhard - Guys i had told him this option too ,to buy a CR-V and keep the remaining moolah for the fuel but he goes out for looong weekend trips with his family, friends every fortnight . So, whatever he saves 'll be all covered up in just 2 years . he really drives a lot on weekends .
Ot - This summer vacations he was planning to do Delhi- Goa(not less than 2200kms) with his friends by road, but due to poor roads and various other factors it got postponed, so that gives you a fair idea as to what extent he can go .

@manson - Nope the teana is available only in Petrol
Old 2nd July 2007, 01:56   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Not many diesels in that price category. If he is looking at petrols kindly do ask him to TD the Teana & Camry too.
Old 2nd July 2007, 02:10   #9
BHPian

i presumed anyone buying a car with a budget of 20+ lacs wouldn't have to worry about fuel costs .

i just re-read your opening post and attained some clarity.
Old 2nd July 2007, 07:02   #10
BHPian

The Accord V6 seems like the best bet for you. Comes loaded with features and excellent power. Reliable honda, good image, fun to drive, and much much lower than your budget. Almost 6 lakhs in your hand im sure you can do a lot of things with that.

Second choice could be the Nissan X-Trail. I agree with you on the looks part but its a great japanese car. Loaded with features, a deisel engine, and very rare. Im sure it will be a fun for road trips too.
Old 2nd July 2007, 07:53   #11
BHPian

Ok, looks like your cousin is really confused.. I guess all he can do is buy a second hand C Class. Coz he's expecting a lil too much out of that price segment! Wat about the Camry and the Accord V6?
Old 2nd July 2007, 09:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_78 View Post
Low service costs(for a luxury car)
High Brand Image
Reliablity
Looks
There are two vehicles that would fit this. Toyota Camry and Honda CRV. Merc and BMW won't satisfy the combo of Low Service Costs and Reliability. People are divided over CRV's looks but are quite united about Camry (looks awesome). Both these units come as CBUs and hence are ridiculously priced. That will ensure exclusivity as well.

The biggest problem is that both are not diesel and hence do not satisfy the primary requirement of the buyer.

Quote:
He is more keen on buying a SUV but can settle for a sedan as well .
Nissan Xtrail - Took the drive, liked it but again it failed on the looks department and the Image .
I can understand the looks part of it but image ???

Quote:
He dont want to go for the Tucsons
Why not ? There aren't many Tucsons on the road (at least in Bangalore) and that actually ensures exclusivity. Pimp up the ride a little bit and it would be great.

I personally have been looking for SUV in that range as well. It has been a frustrating experience so far. I love the drive, ride and comfort of Pajero but interior sucks! I love the looks and interior of Endeavour but its ride sucks! CRV is a Petrol and X-Trail is way too expensive.

Bottomline, I would recommend Tucson to your cousin.
Old 2nd July 2007, 09:31   #13
BHPian

Go for Honda mate. Yeah it's a petrol version no doubt, but he really would enjoy the drive in it. Ask him to take a TD of it. Sure he would be impressed. Brand Image is not a problem. Maybe looks would be. It depends person to person. I like it. He may not. But still check it out.

Ford Endeavour is also a good choice. It actually is a die hard SUV.

Alas, both are fuel guzzlers though..
Old 2nd July 2007, 09:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think the BMW 3 series will be the ideal choice. He may have to squeeze out a little more for the diesel option but if its a relaiable car with a brand image, you got it. Its also got a bullet proof built and the service costs, tough on the higher side, are not atrociously high. If one can afford to buy a car like that, then do service and fuel costs really matter?
Old 2nd July 2007, 11:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

he could get Teana or Camry and fit a CNG kit. That way he saves on petrol aatleast in the city and almost 700kms mileage for long drives. I presume both of you are based in Delhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks