Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2022, 22:11   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Should I buy a demo car at a big discount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Isn't this a test drive vehicle than a demo vehicle?

From what I know demo vehicles barely do 1000-2000 kms in an year given they are just stuck inside the showroom almost all the time except when they are transported to some event (like a mall) to be showcased.
Generally demo cars also refer to unregistered test drive vehicles.

Most display cars in the showroom are often cars booked by customers awaiting delivery / stock lying with the dealer and this is across all brands.

For instance audi had one A6 in the exact interior and exterior combo that we wanted on display, unfortunately it was already booked and the last of its kind in stock (and discounted) with them.

If you're a serious customer, even a soon to be delivered Maybach on the dealership floor will be opened for you to sit and check it out.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 16:56   #32
BHPian

Taigun and Virtus Demo cars up for grabs - yes or no

My friends on a lookout for a car that’s going to be extensively chauffeur driven, so he has been thinking about an used car instead of new.

They’ll run mostly in the city but are expecting more highway runs considering their son has gotten into a college in Bangalore, where as the family stays in Madras.

I think the Virtus 1.0 will suit them well, taking into account city mileage and highway safety.

There’s a Virtus 1.0 AT mid variant that’s done about 2,400 KM.

The dealer is offering 2.6 L discount.

What do you guys think?

It’s very low on the mileage run. However my concern is would the car have been run in properly? Should we take that into account?

Thoughts/discussions much appreciated!

Last edited by thirdmainroad : 10th July 2023 at 17:14.
Old 10th July 2023, 17:00   #33
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Taigun and Virtus Demo cars up for grabs - yes or no

Demo cars are mostly abused and not run carefully, be careful when going for them, the 2.6 lakh discount doesn't seem like a great deal as VW already offers at least 1.5 lakh discounts on the BS6 Phase 1 models which are brand new and hardly 4 months old, so the used Demo car for 2.6 lakh discount isn't worth the risk in my opinion.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 17:03   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post

It’s very low on the mileage run. However my concern is would the car have been run in properly? Should we take that into account?

What is the discount on a new car?

Given it's a demo - run in is unlikely & also would have picked up small dings and dents + rattles.
Even if the average test drive is of 10km, that is 260 different people who would have been behind the wheel : everyone keen to test the acceleration, braking, ride on bumps, handling, etc. as per their experience level.

I'd rather buy an under warranty, single owner Honda City over this instead given their requirements - more abuse friendly, softer ride quality, etc. or best would be a lower run Toyota Corolla Altis with proper service history and the likes.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 17:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Demo cars are mostly abused and not run carefully, be careful when going for them, the 2.6 lakh discount doesn't seem like a great deal as VW already offers at least 1.5 lakh discounts on the BS6 Phase 1 models which are brand new and hardly 4 months old, so the used Demo car for 2.6 lakh discount isn't worth the risk in my opinion.
That makes sense. Checked with the dealer it’s a 2022 model, therefore BS6 - 1.

If I want to purse this, what do you guys think is a fair “discount” I should bargain for?
Old 10th July 2023, 18:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
There’s a Virtus 1.0 AT mid variant that’s done about 2,400 KM.

The dealer is offering 2.6 L discount.

Would strongly suggest to avoid Demo cars, 2400 ODO on demo car is equal to 10 to 12k in regular car and not to forget all possible hard driving / Abuse the car would've gone through.

However if you still do decide to pursue this then push for higher discount , free extended warranty and lastly ensure its 2023 car
Old 10th July 2023, 18:18   #37
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a demo car at a big discount?

I am not of the opinion that Demo cars are to be blatantly avoided. I've bought 2 Beemers ,both demo units, both at a massive discount. My ballpark here is 10% of the cost of the vehicle if it's the same manufacturing year.
Never have I ever faced any issues on either of my cars. Yes the demo cars aren't worshiped but they are not necessarily punished either. I for one am extra cautious while taking a demo, theres' an advisor accompanying you and you never want to be in the mess of getting a demo car banged up. That said, it obviously only serviced/maintained at the authorised outlet and you will mostly be the first owner.
Yes, do your due diligence, check the manufacturing dates, invest in the device that measures paint thickness etc. and then enjoy your car without ever thinking about it's past. The company will give you full warranty in any case!
Old 10th July 2023, 18:24   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Should I buy a demo car at a big discount?

Demo cars from Premium brands should be fine. My BiL was assigned one such car from his company, and the car has been running fine. The interiors were top-notch too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks