Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2022, 13:28   #1

Should I buy a demo car at a big discount?

Hi all,

I am looking to return to India after 27 years in the Middle East by December this year. I had more or less settled on choosing a sedan - either a BMW 330 Li or Toyota Camry as they are in line with budget and also my requirement of rear seat leg space.

The BMW dealer in Kochi where I plan to settle down is offering a 2022 model BMW 330 Li M sport with an on road price of Rs 63 lakhs (the split up being:
ex showroom: 48.83 lakhs, Insurance: 1.36 lakhs, road tax @ 21%: 12.13 lakhs, TC: 48k, accessories and essentials: 70k).

This car has been used as a demo car and has clocked 10,000 kms. He says he is offering about 10 lakhs lower than a new car.

While further negotiation may be possible (he sounded desperate) and a test drive has to be done, the question I wish to ask is whether it makes sense to buy a car used as demo for test drives. The dealer has offered the first 3 months free warranty followed thereafter by regular warranty terms.

Thank you.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 1st November 2022 at 18:19. Reason: Removing extra spacing
MZee is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 14:05   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Should I buy a demo car at a big discount?

I guess majority of the response here will be against buying a demo car. You never know how those 10000 kms were driven and how many people would have abused the car. A 2022 model demo car that has already covered 10000 kms would raise my eyebrows.

A brand new Camry seems to be a better option. Or better still increase your budget and get a fresh out of the oven BMW and save all the tension.
v12 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 11:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

As expected I wouldn't recommend buying a demo car and that too which has been driven for 10k kms.
The desperation of the dealer is another red flag as 10k kms is nothing for a demo car or the less than 1 year duration.

If you're looking to buy a BMW then buy one brand new with every possible warranty item added and enjoy it peacefully for the coming years.
shancz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 11:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZee View Post
The BMW dealer in Kochi where I plan to settle down is offering a 2022 model BMW 330 Li M sport with an on road price of Rs 63 lakhs (the split up being: ex showroom: 48.83 lakhs, Insurance: 1.36 lakhs, road tax @ 21%: 12.13 lakhs, TC: 48k, accessories and essentials: 70k).
You can buy an Audi A6 Technology in that money which is a segment higher than the 3er Li. Contact your local Audi dealer and find out what they can offer.

In any case 63L for a 3er Li TD car which has clocked 10k on the odo isn't a deal at all. If they offer you the car around 53-55L then only you should consider it. I would still not buy a TD car for that price.

Another option: I know the rear space isn't great in the new C but do check it out. The interiors of the new C 220d are simply outstanding. And you will probably get one at around 63-64L.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 1st November 2022 at 18:20. Reason: Quoted post edited
the_skyliner is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 11:26   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I am guessing this is a returning for good retirement.

If you are okay with the budget for a new 3er Li, then go for a new one. Let this be an occasion purchase. Demo cars are abused a lot. But if this is a car purchase for 4-5 years and you are looking forward to buying other luxury cars down the road, then negotiate hard for a better deal and take all the extra warranties possible.

Safe option would be the Camry for long term use, or if you are okay with a new 3er Li pricing, then take a look at the Lexus ES. Kochi has a reputed dealer and also it will help calm your NRI instincts feeling stupid to buy a Camry for half a crore.

Last edited by DicKy : 31st October 2022 at 11:27.
DicKy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 11:50   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This car has been used as a demo car and has clocked 10,000 kms. He says he is offering about 10 lakhs lower than a new car.

While further negotiation may be possible (he sounded desperate) and a test drive has to be done, the question I wish to ask is whether it makes sense to buy a car used as demo for test drives. The dealer has offered the first 3 months free warranty followed thereafter by regular warranty terms.
10,000 kms is a LOT! Short answer - I'd stay away.

Long answer: If the discount is luring you, I'd first do a full proper PDI and then also work on the following list

1. Evaluate the time I'd take to get to 10k kms (6 months? 1 year? 1.5 years?) and ask for extended warranty terms for the same period.
2. Evaluate the condition of the wear & tear elements (tires, battery, brake pads, etc.) and ask for fresh parts/accessories & consumables
3. Get the first servicing done free off cost before taking the car
4. Push for the maximum possible (officially offered) extended warranty on top of what the dealer is offering you in addition

Last edited by libranof1987 : 1st November 2022 at 18:21. Reason: Quoted post edited
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 15:19   #7
BHPian

I've found out and am being offered an option of BMW 3ld with 2000kms on the odo and 330Li with 4000kms on the odo. Now with these odometer readings i'm getting inclined towards the demo cars since i know the discount price will be pretty much better than on new ones. I'm expecting the price to be around 58 onroad instead of 66 on road. This is the unofficial price as i'll get a final quote once I've decided on the model.

I was in the market and on the verge of booking the camry as a no non sense purchase but at around 52 on road vis 58 for a german i'm getting tempted to stretch. Ofcourse my usage is as a secondary vehicle since my garage at the moment only has SUV's and a lower saloon's need is being felt.

Since I've asked there is also a 6gt available as a demo. Though that will be stretching a lot since the on road for a 6gt is 82. Personally I know people who have used demos from bmw and they've faced no issues whatsoever. Both were x1 with 2k and 10k run demos.
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:33   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

10,000 km on a demo car driven by 500 people is equivalent to 40,000 km driven by a single owner. I would totally avoid a 10k run demo car. Buy new. If you want to save, get a pre-owned single owner car with <20,000 km on the odo and you'll be happier.

As a culture, us Indians aren't good at treating 3rd-party property well. Demo cars are royally abused by everyone (prospective clients, salesmen, showroom drivers, dealership owners, OEMs etc.).
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 12:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

I am looking to return to India after 27 years in the Middle East by December this year. I had more or less settled on choosing a sedan - either a BMW 330 Li or Toyota Camry as they are in line with budget and also my requirement of rear seat leg space.

The BMW dealer in Kochi where I plan to settle down is offering a 2022 model BMW 330 Li M sport with an on road price of Rs 63 lakhs (the split up being:
ex showroom: 48.83 lakhs, Insurance: 1.36 lakhs, road tax @ 21%: 12.13 lakhs, TC: 48k, accessories and essentials: 70k).

Thank you.
Not recommended buying a demo car and the best option would be to purchase a new car with the budget you have. You will have better experience with a brand new car and you don't have to compromise t for 10 L less.
superchamp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 12:21   #10

Thanks to all for the response. I am convinced now that a demo car is not the way to go and that I would be better off getting a new car with the budget I set aside.

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd November 2022 at 13:27. Reason: Please proofread before posting.
MZee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 13:03   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I find the whole idea of buying a demo car, whatever be the milage covered and whatever the price offered, a bit of a lottery. There would never be peace of mind, in my opinion, and not worth the trouble at all. I see you have decided against the demo car; good for you.

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd November 2022 at 13:28. Reason: Minor correction.
rajeevsulu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 13:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
10,000 KMs in less than a year either means extensive test drives everyday or being used in different cities as a demo car. I know of demo cars from Navnit Bangalore being sent to Mangalore every now and then. So we are talking about multiple drivers, road conditions and events. You don't know how many times they have launched that car. How may donuts with DSC off.

Like everyone else mentioned here, this car has never been treated with love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
I've found out and am being offered an option of BMW 3ld with 2000kms on the odo and 330Li with 4000kms on the odo. Now with these odometer readings i'm getting inclined towards the demo cars since i know the discount price will be pretty much better than on new ones. I'm expecting the price to be around 58 onroad instead of 66 on road.
Ironically, they don't offer great discounts on demo cars as you'd be the first owner and warranty will still be applicable. I think demo cars are better bought by hotels/travel agencies who will anyway abuse the car and will jump at the sight of a small discount.
HighRevving is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 15:08   #13
BHPian

Stay away. It's too much of a risk. Buying a used car from a single owner with 2x the odometer reading would be a safer bet. You'd probably even get more bang for your buck.
invidious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 08:30   #14
BHPian

One of my neighbors brought a demo X3 and has clocked over 2 lakh Kms without any issues. I recently drove it and couldn't believe it had 2 lakh kms on the ODO.
However, he had a well known contact working in the showroom when the deal was made. He got the car for more than 25% off the on road price then. It's definitely a risk and worth considering only if the discounts are really good and you have a known contact who knows the vehicle history.

Last edited by sunilg33 : 3rd November 2022 at 08:32.
Old 3rd November 2022, 12:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Thank you.
Too expensive, you are getting scammed.

Ideally you should be getting at least 10L more discount on the same, or change your options to something else.
Nucliomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed