Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2023, 14:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a Mercedes demo car?

Why not take the used car route? GLA and CLA are easily available on the used car market and with massive discounts considering the depreciation of luxury cars.

Carwale has quite a few examples of low mileage single owner vehicles.
Old 6th February 2023, 15:48   #32

It's a good car any day. 2 lac in refurbishment is nothing from MB invoicing (other patrons will agree). Ask for a flat 15 lac upfront discount and close the deal with extended 7 year warranty plus 2 years of comprehensive insurance coverage from the date of purchase.

MB cars are build to last, there are exceptions, hence the warranty coverage to annul those issues.

Good luck.
Old 6th February 2023, 17:59   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techspark View Post
I am in the market for a new car and I have my heart on the Merc GLA Petrol. It is way beyond my budget but no other car has come close to impressing me more than the GLA.

Yesterday, I went to this showroom and there was a demo GLA 200 (petrol) with the following:

1. It's GLA 200 Petrol Registered on 2021 (Warranty already started)

2. It has run 13000 km on the odo and the dealer has told me it has been used as a demo car only.
I would not want to buy a demo car used for over 13k. That is way too much. And really not a dog bitten steering and rear-shunt. No demo user will do that. It has been misused.

If you still can not avoid the temptation, then do the following for sure:

1. The Warranty started in 2021 - Means you need at least 3-4 years more - Ask for a Extended Warranty up to 6th year at Dealer's cost
2. No way agree for a price beyond 35 L (Check the Original Invoice - I doubt it was as expensive then as it is today)
3. Check if the chassis has any damage - since you mentioned it has a rear accident
4. Steering can not be fixed but can be replaced - ask for a replacement

Lastly, as others said, avoid if you can beat the temptation.

Best if you can shop for a pre-owned model of a similar running and first owner. You may end up getting for much cheaper and a better looked-after version.
Old 8th February 2023, 20:50   #34
BHPian

I would rather buy a luxury car abused by one person than one abused by many. Its not just the normal wear and tear, its also the engine and ECU not setting to one style of driving. Better to buy pre-owned clean luxury car than give into this.
Old 9th February 2023, 12:40   #35
BHPian

In my opinion, your offer price should be Invoice price - 30% depreciation - price of repairs that need to be done, for e.g the steering wheel. You should not pay a penny more above this price. Also do your own research. Get yourself something like an OBDeleven. Scan the car yourself and take a look at all the fault codes and if the odo matches reading of ECU. If there are no faults, no alterations in odo, the visual inspection of the engine from underside is clear and the car runs ok, then you can think about buying it.
Old 9th February 2023, 12:52   #36
BHPian

I feel that people are being a little too cautious. Take it for a longish test drive, if it drives well and you don't notice any issues, get it. You have warranty, and 13k kilometres is not all that much in the grand scheme of things. 2 lakhs of work billed at MB prices isn't that high. Plus better to have work done to a car than have a car with faults that the owner hasn't bothered to fix.
Old 10th February 2023, 14:31   #37

My personal experience buying a used 2021 M340i recently with 22K on the odo from a popular Gurgaon based dealer.

PS : This is the first time I’ve bought a used car in India and I have had nightmarish thoughts of even getting into one - let alone spending upwards of 55L on a used German.

Now, I looked at 5 factors when buying a 2021.
1. the car’s age, and whether it had been maintained by BMW with records
2. Warranty - in my case this one had extended BSI PLus with 1.5 yrs left (includes brake pads from bmw) and extended warranty thwt expired 2.5 yrs after purchase for peace of mind
3. Warranty defeating mods - which there were, but the offer to restore everything to stock and reset or give me the original components (I took the latter)
4. Honouring my request to see the car in the workshop as they were correcting paint for rock chips and doing the detail - shows me there was nothing to hide.
5. trust plays a giant factor in connecting with the people selling you a car. In my case the dealer has consistently went above and beyond in picking up my calls, shipping the second key, the original components and now well into the 2nd month to ship new rear tyres which were a slightly wrong size after the sale.

All of the above said, I didn’t want to absorb the depreciation of a new car - a big reason many of us buy used luxury cars - but at the same time I didn’t want a beaten up and out of warranty car for atkeast 2 years after purchase by which time you’ve known the car enough.

Buying one from a known source / individual or a non manufacturer reputed dealer gives you greater truth. IMHO - manufacturer dealers have mixed priorities and aren’t dedicated to knowing their inventory as well.

Pick the relationship before you pick the car.
harik5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 16:42   #38

Merc A35 AMG Demo Car, buy or not? 45 Lakhs Ex showroom

Mod note: Please use Search and continue in an existing thread of similar topic. Thanks.

Hello Everyone, I have been in the market for a fast sedan that is fun to drive and handles well. And, I recently came across a demo A35 amg, Jan 2022 make with around 5k kms. The dealer initial quoted 51 ex showroom and after a lot of bargaining he has come down to 45 ex showroom.

I feel like this is a great deal because I know I wont be able to get a fast car leave alone an AMG for this price ever again. But, I also know there are certain risks associated with the fact that it is a demo care. I have test driven it and it looks and feels great. My heart says get the car but I just want to make sure I am not being impulsive.

Need some advice on if this is a good deal or not and if i do decide to buy what checks/ inspections should i do?

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th January 2024 at 18:22.
Old 17th January 2024, 10:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Merc A35 AMG Demo Car, buy or not? 45 Lakhs Ex showroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by last_samurai View Post
Hello Everyone, I have been in the market for a fast sedan that is fun to drive and handles well. And, I recently came across a demo A35 amg, Jan 2022 make with around 5k kms. The dealer initial quoted 51 ex showroom and after a lot of bargaining he has come down to 45 ex showroom.

Need some advice on if this is a good deal or not and if i do decide to buy what checks/ inspections should i do?
Without a doubt, it is a good deal. That’s a huge amount of money off the ex showroom price.

Tell the team to do up any paint chips, along with any necessary service (fluids, filters, etc.) before handing it over, and pick up the service pack. It’s well priced. I remember it being about 1.8 lakhs approx for 3 years or so, all inclusive. That was last year. It might have had a hike this year.

Go for it for sure. Great car for the price, you’ll struggle to get better. Just be wary of the ground clearance, or the lack of it!
iliketurtles is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks