Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

View Poll Results: Which is the best luxury entry level SUV?
BMW X1 previous gen 32 22.38%
Audi Q3 previous gen 21 14.69%
Mercedes GLA previous gen 13 9.09%
New Car in the budget 77 53.85%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2023, 12:18   #1
BHPian

Pre-owned BMW X1, Audi Q3, Mercedes GLA or a new car? Budget of 30 lakh rupees

Hi Friends.

This thread came closest to my quest for a new set of wheels. If any FM finds a more appropriate thread then please let me know, I will shift my post there.

I currently have a Honda Civic, 2007. It was a pre-owned one bought in 2012 from Kolkata. That time I was working there and it worked out for me. It has completed 15 years in 2022. It did wonderful job over the last 10 years. Apart from minor issues, I never faced any major problems. It’s suspensions were changed about two years back and the ride became a little hard after that. It is a little too low and scrapes almost all speed breakers (car wreckers) on our roads. The seating is too low which makes entry/exit a problem for old age parents.

It was time to become a little aspirational and acquire something from lower luxury segment.
Having been bitten by the per-owned bug and realising exceptional value proposition that they bring, I have decided to walk that path again.

My budget is plus minus 30 lacs, for per-owned cars. If I decide on buying something new then plus minus 40 lacs, is the budget. Now, this might confuse a little bit, but new cars aren’t completely off the charts. In case, I am unable to get what I want from pre-owned category, then new ones would need minimum of that amount to get one. That too not from premium ones aka BMW, Merc and Audi. 40 lacs is for brands like Hyundai, Škoda, VW etc etc.

My Usage.

99% within city.
Approx 5-7K per year.
I stay in Hyderabad now which has decent roads but considering the growth of traffic and deteriorating roads, I would prefer something with suspensions that take care of bad roads.

My Requirements.
The new car should have the following:-

1. Automatic transmission. Hassle free drive. Not looking for raging performance but something that works for comfortable city drives with traffic.

2. Very easy to ingress and egress. Neither too low like my current civic, nor too high, like Scorpio or other big SUVs. Basically the occupant should be able to slide in or out, with ease.

3. A 5 seater would do. Shouldn’t be very big. Considering driving and parking within city can be challenging. Smaller the better.

4. Features. Creature comforts like cooled seats, electrical seat adjustments, 360 camera (not a deal breaker), lumbar support, steering with both reach and rake adjustments etc etc. I am not a fan of sunroof considering Indian climate conditions. Problem is that, it has become a must have feature due customer demand. Good NCAP safety rating would be great.

Safety features wise, most of the contenders (listed later) are quite loaded. Safety features wise, Q3 and C5, were lacking in a few, while Tucson appeared to be punching way above it’s weight.

5. PLIANT SUSPENSION. The drive would be mostly within the city. The way our roads are getting speed breakers and pot holes I want want something that can soak them, at low speeds. High speed driving dynamics aren’t going to be a deal breaker, since long highway drives would be very rare and far in between.

6. Independent suspension. This flows from the previous point. Only an independent suspension can give a truly comfortable ride and negotiate imperfections with perfection. That’s where many cars like Creta, Taigun etc and similar ones went out of contention. After driving Tiguan and Tucson, there was no going back.

The Search

While trying to find the features listed above, I realised that Sedans are out of the picture, so were all big SUVs. It narrowed down to MUVs/MPVs. The independent suspension requirement further narrowed it down to luxury brands since, independent suspensions are available in only anything north of 30 lacs.

XUV700 and Harrier do have independent setup, but were ruled out because of their height.

The models that meet most of these criteria are:-

1. Mercedes Benz GLA (2017-20)

2. BMW X1(2016-20)

3. Audi Q3 (2017-20)

4. Volkswagen Tiguan (previous and current versions)

5. Škoda Kodiaq (previous and current versions)

6. Hyundai Tucson (current version only)

7. Citroen C5 Aircross (current version)

8. Volvo XC40 (2018-22)

Electric cars were ruled out due to very less driving and the extra premium for these, didn’t make sense.

In the process of decision making, I drove all Hyundai models from i20 N line to Tucson. Creta met most of the requirements, except the ride quality. Loved driving and comfort of Tucson. Drove Tiguan and found it to be a tad too firm but decent.

Impressions.

I compared the features on various websites and threads on team-bhp.

GLA/X1/Q3. Considering the budget, only the previous versions and pre-owned ones are being considered. I haven’t driven anyone of them though.

GLA has very nice suspension setup. Interiors are premium. Few features are lacking.
X1 is good, but is supposed to have a firm low speed ride.
Q3 has mixed reviews. Couldn’t find anything great or bad.

Tiguan. Solid car but the ride is a little firm at low speeds. The previous version lacks in few features.

Kodiaq. Very nice car. Meets a lot of criteria. Plush and full of features. A little expensive compared to similar crop of vehicles. Škoda after sales service is a hit or a miss.

Tucson. Amazing car, with features galore. Fun to drive and the suspension is great. Rear seat space is great. Considering pricing of C5 and Tiguan, it appears to be a better value proposition. Hyundai, after sales and cost of ownership is great.

C5 Aircross. Best ride quality in this category. Lacks in quite a lot of features considering its the price and others in this segment. Long term support and services aren’t yet known. Not very many available in pre-owned market yet. Not sure of it’s worth it, to go for a new one considering lack of basic features. @GTO’s comment on another thread rings a bell, where he says that it is better than entry level luxury cars that are listed above.

XC40. Ticks all the boxes. Couldn’t find any negative review. Full of features, solid built. Rear seat space is not as great. I couldn’t find a definitive review on it’s low speed ride quality. Very few are available in the pre-owned segment and are snapped up by connoisseurs as soon as one comes into the market.

The Dilemma. In my quest for this purchase, I have scoured the net, spinny Max, local dealers, Olx etc and have come to following conclusions:-

Pre-owned X1/ GLA/ Q3 of 2018/19 with 20-35 k on odo are available for 25-29 lacs.
Spinny prices are on the higher side but information provided is best. The buying experience is also mostly decent.
Local dealers can be hit or a miss. They all claim their goods to be of highest quality but people have faced issues later. Few lucky ones got good deals and experience.
Olx could be similar to normal dealers.
Delhi is most dicey in terms of things going bad and fraud.
Kolkata offers cheapest (lowest price) for all cars in this segment compared to other cities in the country. The odo readings were also the least on these cars. Am I missing something here?

Need Help.Need help from FMs on the following aspects:-

Is it a good idea to buy from any part of India and then take the car to Hyderabad? What are the likely issues?

If X1, GLA and Q3 are available, with similar reading on odo and same year of manufacturing, then which one to choose and why? Just remember that only the previous versions of these have been considered.

- Have I missed anything important in my assessment of various aspects?
Highflyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 13:01   #2
BHPian

re: Pre-owned BMW X1, Audi Q3, Mercedes GLA or a new car? Budget of 30 lakh rupees

Skoda Kodiaq and Hyundai Tuscon meets all of your requirements - even though you may have to shell couple of lakhs over your budget for new. Nothing like the peace of mind that comes with a warranty and since you have a history of keeping cars for over a decade, the extra premium upfront will pay off.

I did not suggest Tiguan, even though its more value for money than the Kodiaq, is due to your specific requirements for softer suspension. I have seen in many forums talks about the bone-jarring ride of Tiguan, but I did not find it uncomfortable in my test drive. I had booked Tiguan but got a Kodiaq for a different reason
Citroen C5 - even though a competitive product, scarce Service stations could be an issue.

Had you not been open to spending 40lakhs on a new one, I would have suggested X1 over Q3 and GLA on the reliability front. Also, previous-gen GLA looks like i20 on steroids
Jangra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 13:06   #3
BHPian

re: Pre-owned BMW X1, Audi Q3, Mercedes GLA or a new car? Budget of 30 lakh rupees

Quote:
I would have suggested X1 over Q3 and GLA on the reliability front. Also, previous-gen GLA looks like i20 on steroids
I have come across quite a few Q3s, from 2019, with 20-35k on the odo at a price of 25-27 Lacs. What about that? Since my running is very limited, I would hate to spend 40 plus, if my requirements can be met by something well south of 30 lacs.
Old 4th March 2023, 13:59   #4
BHPian

- Previous gen GLA is cramped with spare tyre occupying boot [ you will not get the sense of space as your civic)
- X1 / Q3 are good choices, I would pick X1 over Q3 because of engine
- Kodiaq is an amazing car, in the preowned market SKODAs are the movst VFM package
- C5 - Big No | Not sure how long Citroen will last in India plus the service network is very thin
- Tucson - latest one better package than Kodiaq

Personally I would not invest 25L+ in preowned car

You missed Octavia, a decade back Civic & Octavia were in the same segment but trust me today Octavia will be super upgrade for you. Plus you will be able to get a peace of mind of a new car with in you budget range

Octavia is 90% A4 at 60% price and without AUDI badge

Last edited by Asoon : 4th March 2023 at 14:02.
Asoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 14:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post

Personally I would not invest 25L+ in preowned car

You missed Octavia, a decade back Civic & Octavia were in the same segment but trust me today Octavia will be super upgrade for you. Plus you will be able to get a peace of mind of a new car with in you budget range

Octavia is 90% A4 at 60% price and without AUDI badge
Thanks for the input.

How is Octavia in ingress and egress? That is an important criteria.

Since my driving is mostly within the city, engine power isn’t a big concern. I would prefer better ride quality at low speed, even if engine is not a scorcher. I have read that X1, low speed ride is a little firm. How would you put X1 vis a vis Q3 with this input?

Last edited by Highflyer : 4th March 2023 at 14:33. Reason: Addition of comment
Old 4th March 2023, 14:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
I have come across quite a few Q3s, from 2019, with 20-35k on the odo at a price of 25-27 Lacs. What about that? Since my running is very limited, I would hate to spend 40 plus, if my requirements can be met by something well south of 30 lacs.
Please keep in mind that even if you are spending lesser upfront, you have to factor in costs that you will have to incur to bring the vehicle to your comfort. With premium luxury cars for example, a service with some parts changed will cost you atleast Rs. 1 lakh, interiors cleaning/ refurbishment, etc. On top of that some amount reserved for any breakdowns, atleast in the first 6 months, which could be considered "gifts" from the previous owner.

All in all, the 30 lakh figure approaches the 40 lakh figure quite quickly. Granted you have gotten a premium badge on it. My point is, a 30L pre owned luxury and a 40L premium new vehicle overall cost the same. All you have to consider is the features you get with either, because cost overall is the same.
kosjam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 15:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
Please keep in mind that even if you are spending lesser upfront, you have to factor in costs that you will have to incur to bring the vehicle to your comfort. With premium luxury cars for example, a service with some parts changed will cost you atleast Rs. 1 lakh, interiors cleaning/ refurbishment, etc. On top of that some amount reserved for any breakdowns, atleast in the first 6 months, which could be considered "gifts" from the previous owner.

All in all, the 30 lakh figure approaches the 40 lakh figure quite quickly. Granted you have gotten a premium badge on it. My point is, a 30L pre owned luxury and a 40L premium new vehicle overall cost the same. All you have to consider is the features you get with either, because cost overall is the same.
A car that is 3-4 years old with good maintenance records may not have such issues crop up suddenly. That is a possibility in any car considering a machine can have a failure.
A luxury car bought at 25-26 lacs may add few lacs if such a requirement does come up. Even then, it would reach a figure of 27-28 lacs.

Senior forum members like GTO also recommends pre-owned route due to value proposition they offer.

Octavia as suggested few posts above does sound promising. I hadn’t considered any sedan due to height of the car. Egress and ingress is an important aspect in my considerations.
Old 4th March 2023, 17:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
A car that is 3-4 years old with good maintenance records may not have such issues crop up suddenly. That is a possibility in any car considering a machine can have a failure.
A luxury car bought at 25-26 lacs may add few lacs if such a requirement does come up. Even then, it would reach a figure of 27-28 lacs.

Senior forum members like GTO also recommends pre-owned route due to value proposition they offer.

Octavia as suggested few posts above does sound promising. I hadn’t considered any sedan due to height of the car. Egress and ingress is an important aspect in my considerations.
I am not saying that the pre owned route is a bad proposition. All I am saying is that a 30L luxury pre owned and a 40L Executive brand new are the same, cost wise, and that your decision will be basis the feature set and the brand recognition one needs.

Regarding the maintenance, a new vehicle will always have a higher reliability quotient over a 3-4 year old vehicle.
kosjam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 18:05   #9
BHPian

Out of luxury brands, Q3 seems to be in clear lead as of now. GLA is obviously a poor contender in the race. Hopefully, a little more clarity would come with the poll results and advice from FMs.
Old 5th March 2023, 12:19   #10
BHPian

Came across ads on Olx with deals on new cars. Spoke to a few of them. They told that they have a relationship with official dealers and can get a new car at price compared to official prices.
Then there are cars marked new but have 3-4K on the odo.

Has anyone else come across such deals? What are the pros and cons here?
Old 6th March 2023, 01:56   #11
BHPian

Don’t remove sedans completely from your list, do check out the Audi A4, Skoda Superb/Octavia. I would strongly recommend an A4 if you’re able to get a car with good discounts, because then it’ll fit your budget criteria as well. A4 was going on at great discounts some time back however I don’t know whether it’s the same now or not. It’s a great value for money product don’t miss check do check it out once.
NarediAni7518 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 07:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarediAni7518 View Post
Don’t remove sedans completely from your list, do check out the Audi A4, Skoda Superb/Octavia. I would strongly recommend an A4 if you’re able to get a car with good discounts, because then it’ll fit your budget criteria as well. A4 was going on at great discounts some time back however I don’t know whether it’s the same now or not. It’s a great value for money product don’t miss check do check it out once.
Sedans do make great sense from a lot of points.
My only concern with them is ingress and egress due to low seating. I face this problem in my Civic and presume that most of these would pose the same issue. I also read that A4s suspension is a little firm at low speeds. Any inputs on this aspect? Because, I am looking for a plush low speed ride.

That’s why first preference is cross overs/SUVs that aren’t too high.

Last edited by Highflyer : 6th March 2023 at 07:18.
Highflyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 07:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends.

1. Mercedes Benz GLA (2017-20)

2. BMW X1(2016-20)

3. Audi Q3 (2017-20)

4. Volkswagen Tiguan (previous and current versions)

5. Škoda Kodiaq (previous and current versions)

6. Hyundai Tucson (current version only)

7. Citroen C5 Aircross (current version)

8. Volvo XC40 (2018-22)
1- Personally, I’m not fond of the GLA’s design. It looks too sheepish for the money it demands.
Audi Q3 would be a better pick amongst the three germans .

2- Honestly, I would recommend you to go with a new car since you keep your cars for a long time.
As per your requirements, Tucson in it’s petrol avatar would suit you the best. Since your running is limited to few thousand km within the city, you will love what the 2.0 Litre NA engine has to offer. Hyundai Tucson is a perfect blend of German quality and Japanese trust and realisability.

3- Since you’ve also mentioned you need your car to be compact, Compass can be a very good alternative for you. Cheaper than Tucson, tank like build quality, independent suspension, punchy diesel engine and superior driving dynamics.
Eco_boost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 08:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Out of luxury brands, Q3 seems to be in clear lead as of now.
I drive a 9+ years old Q3(2TDI model) and the car has nver disappointed. Has taken me to many road trips and 500+ kms day trips. In the last service, anti roll bar was changed and other than that no major updates.
Overall I am very happy with Q3 and if I will update in the near future, I will consider an Audi(Q3,A4) over the others. The ride quality is amazing and the power, though not BMW like, always feels adequate. If you have any doubts about Q3 old gen, please ask..
4WheelPilot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_boost View Post
1- Personally, I’m not fond of the GLA’s design. It looks too sheepish for the money it demands.
Audi Q3 would be a better pick amongst the three germans .

2- Honestly, I would recommend you to go with a new car since you keep your cars for a long time.
As per your requirements, Tucson in it’s petrol avatar would suit you the best. Since your running is limited to few thousand km within the city, you will love what the 2.0 Litre NA engine has to offer. Hyundai Tucson is a perfect blend of German quality and Japanese trust and realisability.

3- Since you’ve also mentioned you need your car to be compact, Compass can be a very good alternative for you. Cheaper than Tucson, tank like build quality, independent suspension, punchy diesel engine and superior driving dynamics.
1. GLA is almost out of the contention. Quite a few FMs have pointed it out.

2. Tucson petrol Signature is one of the strongest contenders.

3. Compass was on the radar, but in the long run, a lot of people have had issues and niggles. The after sales and support of Jeep isn’t top class either. Tucson petrol creeps ahead due to this aspect.
Will have a look at Comapss again. Let’s see.

Any inputs on Q3 previous version for approx 25 lacs vs New Tucson Petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WheelPilot View Post
I drive a 9+ years old Q3(2TDI model) and the car has nver disappointed. Has taken me to many road trips and 500+ kms day trips. In the last service, anti roll bar was changed and other than that no major updates.
Overall I am very happy with Q3 and if I will update in the near future, I will consider an Audi(Q3,A4) over the others. The ride quality is amazing and the power, though not BMW like, always feels adequate. If you have any doubts about Q3 old gen, please ask..
How is ingress and egress in Q3 vs A4? If you have experienced Civic previous version then an input will help. Civic is a pain to get in and out.

I would prefer better ride quality over punchy engine. I saw that Q3 has drive modes. Do they change ride comfort? If yes then how much?

What about Volvo XC40? I have read only good things about it. Since, I would need to drive it primarily in Hyderabad, service network isn’t an issue.

Last edited by Highflyer : 6th March 2023 at 10:46.

Most Viewed