Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2008, 22:32   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Make the budget flexible and you can get a good one with a service history. Most of these are chauffeur driven and hence careful checks need to be done. Some Merc dealers keep certified used cars. And lastly, a badly maintained Merc can cause a big dent in the pocket so its better to search more and more cars and to get the best one suited to your kind of use.
Old 14th December 2008, 22:56   #17
BHPian

Dude, a close friend of mine here in Delhi has a White 1997 E-250D Merc currently up for sale. Its a naturally aspirated diesel, and gives approx. 11 kmpl. As far as i could figure out from a short stint on the wheel it seemed to be a pretty well maintained car, both body wise and engine wise. The guy owns a taxi business and so is extra careful about maintainence. Last time he said that someone quoted 5 lacs for it but he refused him due to some reason. Being a diesel, this car is a li'l rare.
PM me if you're interested, i'll give you his contact number.
Old 20th January 2009, 17:23   #18
BHPian

I just found a nice W124 E220 with an automatic transmission. I'm traveling to mumbai in a couple of days to check it out. Can anyone tell me if the auto gearboxes in W124s are as reliable as the manual ones? Are there any issues with auto W124s? Need help urgently on this as I want to pick up a W124 ASAP.

Thanks
Old 20th January 2009, 22:03   #19
BHPian

I was recently told that the W124s used bio-degradable wiring, and you have to replace the complete wiring harness, and other stuff after ~10 years.

Search for "biodegradable w124" on Google, and there seems to be plenty of hits. Any of you know more about this?

Ps. A 124 a friend picked up last year for ~5Lakhs has already cost him another 8Lakhs more...
Old 20th January 2009, 22:06   #20
BHPian

Ouch! 8 lakhs of service/repair bills in an year? Could you share some more info on this? What were the problems he faced and which parts had to replaced that cost such a bomb? I am about to pick up a W124 soon and your post has got me worried.
Old 20th January 2009, 22:15   #21
BHPian

Check my reply on your other thread. I know his friend, he was plain stupid/blind when he bought that car and didn't do proper evaluation

Last edited by PhantomLord : 20th January 2009 at 22:19.
Old 20th January 2009, 22:28   #22
BHPian

Ok, I just read your post on the other thread. So basically he bought a thoroughly abused lemon. I will remember to take your check list with me when I go for the test drive. Thanks a ton.
Old 20th January 2009, 22:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLord View Post
Check my reply on your other thread. I know his friend, he was plain stupid/blind when he bought that car and didn't do proper evaluation
Hey not really. The car was sold by a tbhpian, "president". And Karlos and others vouched for the genuiness of the car/seller, that is why it was picked up.

What do you think was wrong with the car to say this? And which other thread are you guys talking about?
Old 20th January 2009, 22:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
I just found a nice W124 E220 with an automatic transmission. I'm traveling to mumbai in a couple of days to check it out. Can anyone tell me if the auto gearboxes in W124s are as reliable as the manual ones? Are there any issues with auto W124s? Need help urgently on this as I want to pick up a W124 ASAP.

Thanks
Curb Weight difference between AT and MT is 500Kg according to

Mercedes-Benz E W124-E 220 (124.022)
Old 20th January 2009, 22:53   #25
BHPian

tadkuttan, the other thread is
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...5-lakhs-3.html

Could you let us know what all went wrong with that car? It would be great if you could give us a rough breakup of parts and costs because 8 lakhs is an astronomical amount for a car that your friend bought for 5 lakhs. Even I had read on tbhp that president's w124 was a well maintained car so it comes as a surprise.

500 kg? That's more than the weight of the engine. I'm sure it's a typo on that site else it means that the auto tranny weighs almost one third the weight of a manual w124 which is unheard of.

Last edited by ajmat : 21st January 2009 at 09:58.
Old 20th January 2009, 23:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
tadkuttan, the other thread is
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...5-lakhs-3.html

Could you let us know what all went wrong with that car? It would be great if you could give us a rough breakup of parts and costs because 8 lakhs is an astronomical amount for a car that your friend bought for 5 lakhs. Even I had read on tbhp that president's w124 was a well maintained car so it comes as a surprise.
Sorry, I dont know the cost breakup. Did request him to join the forum and post details, but unfortunately, his application got rejected...

And his wiring harness is yet to be changed. I think he said it will cost near a lakh, not very sure again.
Old 20th January 2009, 23:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
500 kg? That's more than the weight of the engine. I'm sure it's a typo on that site else it means that the auto tranny weighs almost one third the weight of a manual w124 which is unheard of.
Yes mostly typo, but it should be around ~100 I guess.

Wiring harness should cost ~30K, you might find cheaper ones but those could be new-old (i.e manufactured in 90's but not used).

1 Lac could be showroom price.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Even I had read on tbhp that president's w124 was a well maintained car so it comes as a surprise.
1) It was mostly well maintained cosmetically
2) Reading or hearing some one vouch for car on T-Bhp or elsewhere should just be used for short listing test drive not buying in my opinion.
3) Test drive couple of cars, each car will have one issue or the other, use checks in other/old threads and weigh between those and choose one that best suites you. Prefer latest model, these were sold till 1998 in India from what I read.
4) Most problems might be masked if you have not driven these cars, ECU does pretty good job of masking failed sensor as if it didn't exist unless scanned.
5) Preventive/Regular maintenance is must for longevity of these car, poor conditions are usually related to poor maintenance @ local garage rather than abuse.
6) Resist, if you plan to fly to Mumbai with a draft, test drive a car, and drive it back to your town.
7) May be check some Bangalore 124's, less prone to rust and most have less miles.

Again these cars are gems, highway train, petrol's are fast, timeless design by Bruno Sacco and his team. First released in 1984, but you will still find someone or other buying it used every week on international forums. I bet you would have read all about W124's by now.

Don't hurry spend some time and buy the best you can find. Yes, you need lot of luck when buying used car.
Old 21st January 2009, 13:09   #29
BHPian

I just talked to someone from cartradeindia.com, they offer a physical evaluation service for used cars. Apart from a complete checkup, they do the following-

* Official Valuation certificate
* Valid for bank loan
* Car will be certified as non accident car
* Actual mileage ascertained
* No. of owners confirmed
* No liability on car
* Original papers verified for taxes pending

They charge 1000 bucks per car and I am planning to get 3 cars evaluated in Mumbai. What do you guys think? Should I avail this service?
Old 21st January 2009, 13:30   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
* Official Valuation certificate
* Valid for bank loan
* Car will be certified as non accident car
* Actual mileage ascertained
* No. of owners confirmed
* No liability on car
* Original papers verified for taxes pending
Consider

1: What authority do they have to state "official"
2: How do well do you judge their integrity?
3: How will they ascertain the mileage - w124's hold their mileage well
4: No of owners - as per RC book - fine , there may be a no of phatom owners who never transferred the ownership

Check the three cars yourself, take the best one and get a good independent garage to go over it

Last edited by ajmat : 21st January 2009 at 13:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks