Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:38   #1
BHPian

Used Honda Accord V6

Hello Everyone,

I have been toying around with the idea of getting a used Honda Accord V6 for sometime now and would like to get some inputs from the vast experience pool we have on this forum.

To start off, I am not looking for the latest Honda Accord V6 since I don't like its design ( LED lights one), and I think since a V6 depreciates substantially faster than the 2.4 model, picking up a used model 2-3 years old would help me fulfil my dream of owning one without burning a hole in the pocket. I know its gives pathetic mileage (6-8 Kmpl) but still owning one and having the thrill of riding a stock 221 BHP car in India at around 10L is something that is too tempting for me to resist.

I currently drive a 2006 May 1.6 Litre Ford Fiesta ZXI which I have no complains from. Infact, its great and it puts a big smile on my face everytime I drive it.. but whenever I see a Honda Accord V6 pass by ( Very rarely does this happen), my heart flutters and I am sent into a day dreaming spree..

On checking the used car lots, I realise that the Honda Accord V6 2004 October model would cost around 10.5 L or a May 2005 model would cost around 11 L.

I require your inputs on the following:

a) Is there any owner here who would be willing to share his experiences with this car?

b) What are the pros and cons of owning such a car since I have not owned a car in this category before in India?

c) What are things I should be careful of while buying a used V6?

d) Is the mileage really this low?

e) What is the expected price I can expect for my 1.6 ZXI ( W/ ABS) if I have to trade it in?

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to help me out.

With Regards,
Sumit
Old 2nd August 2007, 17:29   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
b) What are the pros and cons of owning such a car since I have not owned a car in this category before in India?
Higher fuel, insurance, service and repair costs. Low speed ride quality is a bit on the firm side but improves with speed. Cars over 50,000 kms have reported annoying rattles.

Quote:
c) What are things I should be careful of while buying a used V6?
Get it comprehensively checked by an authorised Honda service station. They will charge you a couple of grand but it will be well worth it. Also, do read this article.

Quote:
d) Is the mileage really this low?
Mumbai city mileage is about 6-7 kpl.

Quote:
e) What is the expected price I can expect for my 1.6 ZXI ( W/ ABS) if I have to trade it in?
I would expect around 5 lac rupees.

Some threads that may interest you:

Link 1

Link 2 (Honda Accord VTi vs Honda Accord V6)

Modifying (Help needed for modifying accord - now done)

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2009 at 12:40.
Old 3rd August 2007, 00:26   #3
BHPian

Before buying also factor in the cost of spares down the line. Great car by specs. Yet got to see one btw.
Old 6th August 2007, 15:56   #4
BHPian

GTO and Rohan,

Thank you both for your inputs. GTO, the threads you have shared are amazing. I knew an Auto would be slower compared to a manual assuming driving style is similiar but so much differences that the Accord 2.4 is almost 0.5 seconds faster than a 3.0 Auto is really eye opening.

Given the discussion of the threads, I am not sure if going for the 3.0 Auto even though it comes with traction control, side rear view mirror indicators, dual exhaust is really such a great idea. Why sacrifice mileage if you are not getting a gain in the performance segment and as someone pointed out, resale would be lower even when I do decide to sell it after using it for a couple of years.

Anybody still think this is a great idea.. Somehow and all of a sudden, I am beginning to love my 1.6 a lot more :-).

Thanks for such informative links.

-Sumit
Old 16th August 2007, 15:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

HEHEHE .. Sumit , If you have the moolah, JUST DO IT !!

If you do not - then you drive such a lovely car, why buy a humungous vehicle then - and what is the point of buying a beauty which you cannot even go to a movie also - thinking about the parking lot where yr beauty is lying. A big car like this in Delhi makes no sense. I feel
Old 21st August 2007, 12:54   #6
BHPian

Sumit,

I did not own a V6 but rued myself for not buying it when I was in the US. I bought the normal four pot Accord not understanding the V6. After signing the papers and taking delivery of the vehicle test drove a V6 and I was blown away at the NVH chacateristics of the V6. At idling the engine vibrations are almost negligible and I did not even notice that the engine is running. So silent, essentially because 6 cylinder configuration is a balanced configuration. For that atleast V6 is worth. I wanted a V6 with manual transmission but that normally has a waiting period it seems. I lived with Accord V4 during my stay but rued my decision every single day.

Test drive a V6 and compare the NVH characteristics. If you feel that is worth paying the moolah, go for it. Mileage will not be too much of a problem either. Increased cc does not necessarily mean lower mileage, in the current technologies. My current Corolla gives 10-11km in the city with A/C on all the time which which was what my Accent was giving some five years back.

Nainar
anainar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2007, 13:49   #7
BHPian

Thanks you guys.

I think the links GTO has provided have made me realise the reality and I don't think this is really such a bright idea. If the V6 is slower than the 2.4 then, the whole point is beaten and the 2.4 ain't that special according to me cause the V6 has some features like the dual exhaust tips, traction control, side rear view mirror mounted indicators, etc that make it special.

I guess the Honda Accord V6 with a manual transmission would be great.. If only Honda is listening but then... I don't like the looks of the new Honda's rear..so I think this idea is dropped..

-Sumit
Old 31st August 2009, 01:09   #8
BHPian

Note from Mod : Please avoid typing with excessive dots............like.............this...........Th anks

hi guys i wanted a little help....
im planning on buying an accord v6 a 2005 model what should it cost......
i know the 2.4 is faster but i have always wanted a v6.....
so pls help me thanks...

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2009 at 12:35.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:40   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Karan, I've seen 2004 - 2005 V6's going for 6 lakhs (or less) in Mumbai (typically have 35 - 50K kms on the odo), and 06 - 07 anywhere between 7 - 8.5 lakhs. The V6 has terribly resale, thanks to its guzzling habits. Note that the later models were facelifted (IIRC in 2007), had some more features and a 0 - 100 time of 8.xx seconds (1 second quicker than the older model) thanks to retuning & quicker shifting gearbox.

It's a steal whichever way that you look at it. 220+ horses, Merc E Class kind of space and Jap reliability.
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:08   #10
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep, since I too had looked for V6 in mumbai

the 2004/5 price was around 6L
2006/7 price was around 8L

Some dealers dont budge, find someone else.

go for one with zero mods.

Though i do love the car the 75kms a day that I do would kill me in a V6 with effeciency around 5 kmpl.
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Unless you do 75KMs in city traffic, you'll get better FE. If you do, well, my sympathies.
Old 4th September 2009, 21:38   #12
BHPian

i know its a guzzler but i would still love to have it cos there is something about knowing you have a 6 cylinder...i'm looking for one so will keep u guys posted and thanks for the information.
Old 6th September 2009, 01:09   #13
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Unless you do 75KMs in city traffic, you'll get better FE. If you do, well, my sympathies.
Actually it is about 25 kms city traffic and 50 kms highway. But have used the Cielo Auto earlier and currently use the Laura Auto and do have a bad habbit of using the kickdown mode frequently, so that throws highway effeciency down the drain.

Anyways am not seriously looking for one right now - though some day once again, the post was only to help the guy looking for one currently.
Old 6th September 2009, 01:27   #14
Team-BHP Support

considering buying a used accord v6. how much would a facelifted one be for? 2007 model? in mumbai? thinking about buying between march april next year as my first car.
Old 16th November 2009, 10:58   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

akshay, i'm also considering one. Either a v6 or the 2.4. Any will do as long as it has AT. Lemme knwo if you spot a good car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks