Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2007, 13:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Car for Father In law- help please

Hi guys,

need a bit of advice here.

My Father in law (FIL) has decided to upgrade his car after much pestering from me and wifey. he currently drives a 2002 OHC 1.5 which is still pretty clean and had done 70K.

Now here are the requeirements:

the car will be primarily chauffer driven (70%) strictly within Delhi(NCR). probably the only time it will head on the highway is when I am in Delhi and decide to head to the hills for a trip.

daily running: apprx 50K.

No diesels.

budget around 20-22 L extendible to 25 max. (OTR Delhi).

No SUVs/MUVs- it has to be a car.

Loads of rear space is required since my FIL is 6'2" and weighs 120 Kilos- so he is a BIG guy- and needs a lot of rear space.

Cars shorlisted by me were the Accord/sonata Embera/Teana/Camry (little out of budget though) considered a c200K but the cramped rear seat throws that out of the window.

then I thought- why not the Superb petrol- i know it is being replaced with a new model- but the new one looks hideous. but my main worry is Skoda A.S.S from Silvertone motors delhi- pretty crap.

So guys, help me out.

My FIL is not too inclined towards the accord since a) it is being replaced soon and b) they are a dime a doxen in Delhi- he feels the accord is not special enough!

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 13th August 2007 at 13:59.
Old 13th August 2007, 14:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

After seeing your requirements, it has to be either Superb or the Camry. The Camry would be my choice. Its a fabulous car. Its a Toyota after all, bullet proof reliability, has a very comfortable rear seat( that matters a lot to you) and nice to drive too just incase your FIL wants to take the wheel sometime.

Strech you budget and go for the Camry if you can.
Old 13th August 2007, 14:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

You might find your answer here
Old 13th August 2007, 14:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Accord V6. The rest of them are CBUs and ridiculously overpriced for what they offer. The Indian Camry is an I4 and not a V6. Horribly underpowered.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 13th August 2007 at 14:25.
Old 13th August 2007, 15:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

id say the teana or the camry.. i dont think youll get a c200k in 25lacs.
Old 13th August 2007, 15:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

ok....just got a call from FIL- the mercedes showroom at okla, which is walking distance from his factory, called him saying they have a nov 2004 white e 240 V6, 35000 kms, with one year warranty from MB for 26L. he has called me to ask if this is a good deal. I am going to Delhi on the 30th and will check the car out....what do our resident MB experts think? is this car worth a shot. Of course, i plan to bargain real hard with the dealer- of he can bring the price close to 22, i think we may give it a shot.
Old 13th August 2007, 16:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
they have a nov 2004 white e 240 V6, 35000 kms, with one year warranty from MB for 26L. he has called me to ask if this is a good deal. I am going to Delhi on the 30th and will check the car out....what do our resident MB experts think?
a second hand ("pre-owned" for others) 3 year old merc E for 26L?
i wouldn't.but then i'm not a resident MB expert.

coming back to your earlier question...i think a camry would be good for him.or if he could wait a while maybe the passat.
Old 13th August 2007, 18:04   #8
BHPian

I've never driven any car in that price bracket, and my advice is based solely on information gleaned from various sources.

Given that, The Nissan Teana seems tailor made for your requirements, read last month's ACI, which shows a comparo with the Accord V6. That should give you enough information.
Old 13th August 2007, 18:33   #9
Team-BHP Support

the maintenance is gonna be real high on the merc.
Old 13th August 2007, 21:37   #10
BHPian

i think you will get huge discounts on C 200 K in Delhi but after spending 25 lacks would you like to have a discontinued model when other who own a C class are planning to upgrade as Mercedes is coming with new C class as soon as they get rid of the lot of mercs they have ,even though going is really getting slow as there sales have already fallen by 40 % because of BMW and the new C class which seems to be the choice of they buyers ,i think you should also look AT VW Passat i think its a good car though nothing is clear on the pricing yet but definitely below 25 lacks also if you get a E240 u can surely have a look as buying preowned from MBIL would be peace of mind and on maintaince front as u re already getting one year warranty i can tell you that even C class is also a white elephant and E-240 is definitely much much better than any of these cars u mentioned above

Mod's Note: Rubin, you have been time and again requested by the members to improve your writing style. You do not use punctuations, breaks or paragraphs. This makes it difficult for others to make sense of your posts. Please take care of it from the next post onwards.

Last edited by Zappo : 14th August 2007 at 00:45.
Old 14th August 2007, 22:55   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for the Camry or the Superb.
I did some research on this topic and to be honest, the Accord is simply crap.
No offense to anyone, but the accord lacks features, isn't the best handler (Be in one at 170+ and judge, I have) nor the most comfortable.
Looks are growing old and the car is simply to common.
Try the Camry, he'll love it.
It's a bit underpowered, but safer than the Accord, has a better warranty, more FE than the V6, looks better and is newer overall.
It also rides better than many cars.
Old 15th August 2007, 01:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

^^Agreed but question is whether its worth 9 lacs more? Its roughly 50% more expensive than the accord.
Old 15th August 2007, 02:35   #13
BHPian

Please prove it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I did some research on this topic and to be honest, the Accord is simply crap.
No offense to anyone, but the accord lacks features, isn't the best handler (Be in one at 170+ and judge, I have) nor the most comfortable.
Looks are growing old and the car is simply to common.

Can we know how did you arrive at this statement of yours?
Old 15th August 2007, 13:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Go for Camry. It think the car suits best for your FIL...
Old 15th August 2007, 13:37   #15
Team-BHP Support

Camry i guess........

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks