Team-BHP - W124 or 190d Merc.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   W124 or 190d Merc. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/28623-w124-190d-merc.html)

Dear All,

I 'WILL' buy a used Merc for sure. I have shortlisted these 2 mercs:

- 190 D
- W124

I don't like the new Mercs [no offense meant -- this is just a matter of personal taste]

Need advise on which one to go for. 190 D or W124. I am based in Bangalore.

here is more info:

- This will be my daily/primary driving car.
- I will self drive [with possibility of having a driver later on]
- daily driving of 60 KMS/day city + 1000 KMS/quarter highway
- I intend to keep the car for 5+ years.
- FE is important BUT not at cost of performance/ride quality etc.
- A>S>S/Maintainence is important. [I want to be driving and not spending time in the garage :)]

Help me out here.. What timefarme car to go for, what price to pay, what to watch out for etc..

190 D is a slug unless you find a 190D 2.5

If you are getting a driver, then consider the w124. Getting a good diesel is difficult though

If only for the reason of getting a much newer model and ease of service / parts, get the W124. Its wicked in comparison to the 190 whose time has gone.

Do search through our forums...there are several tips on buying a used W124.

I Totally agree with GTO. I have used a 1993 190D-2.5 for 5 years, and am now using a 124-250D for 4 years. and the 250D is far better in all respects in todays times. She is a workhorse! Not that the 190D was bad, it was also very good, but still!! and you will end up paying a couple of lacs only extra for the more modern and stronger built car. The clutch and pressure plates are just replaced and cost just 10500 including labour!!

No second thoughts go for the W124, its much better built and is faster then the 190D

124 anyday, the 190 is past its prime and the one's available would have already run their life, thus increased headaches and less fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayD (Post 559034)
124 anyday, the 190 is past its prime and the one's available would have already run their life, thus increased headaches and less fun!

How do I go about trying to get a W124 Diesel? Maintenance/service issues? PRICE?

I would prefer the 124 primarily for the fact that it's a more recent product & a bulletproof one at that. Haven't heard of problems with them like the current C-class (W203) or the W210 E-Classes.

Plus, I think a good car should be quite affordable with good 250D's being in the 5.5-7.5L range with reasonable maintenance.

Sultan, welcome to the club of people who consider buying a 124 instead of a santro.:D so many wise men have showed you the way, I'll second it. The 124 is the way to go.
Quote:

Originally Posted by alankarm@sancha (Post 559645)
How do I go about trying to get a W124 Diesel? Maintenance/service issues? PRICE?

Look for cars in the classifieds or if a friend wants to sell one (preferably his own)
The price can wary between 4.5-6 max depending on the condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khan_sulta
I have shortlisted these 2 mercs:
- 190 D
- W124

....or you can look for a late model ('92/'93) 190E 2.6.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aah78 (Post 559776)
....or you can look for a late model ('92/'93) 190E 2.6.

Those V-6s are rare in India man. Thats gonna be real difficult to find as will the cosworth.

Thanks folks.. the W124 it will be.. Thanks for all the suggestions..