Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2004, 01:15   #16
BHPian

C4S,
it is near to impossible to Import a car yourself. You have to invlove a clearing agent with good experience and knowledge about cars. I mean the Government has said any 1 can do but yet the Customs will harass you more than anything. Its like a small thing like a Driving License you have to pay something under the table. And the Mabach is sold for 5.52 Crores.
Old 28th September 2004, 02:00   #17

Thanx for the reply guys. I actually need one of these cars for using it totally off road.

The other option I was thinking of was importing it from dubai. The dealer in Dubai said he would get me right hand drive and import it from Dubai. its 110% duty on imported new cars.

X5 seems like a better deal because it is available in Disel version and this car is going to used mainly for work and will be doing about 140 to 200 KM everyday so that makes a difference too. Lexus dont have a disel model yet although they are trying to introduce one from next year in their IS range.

So I think i am going to stick with the X5 3.0D. Any comments??

C4S I will call you soon.
Old 28th September 2004, 02:22   #18
BHPian

Civic, you do get a Toyota Cygnus Diesel Version. And as far as the going Off road well the X5 and X3 are totally out. Either the Toyota or the Cayenne. And BMW engines cannot take Indian Diesel cause they cant take Diesel with Sulphur they require without sulphur. So it will tun out more costly in the end.
Old 28th September 2004, 03:19   #19
BHPian

Hmm...ofroading, then depending on the budget y not consider a Range Rover..much better overall and I think RR has a deisel..

you like discovery, y not that?

also AMG I know it would be impossible, but ofcourse you can take some help from here and there..What i mean to say is..no matter u have to go through the trouble or not..if you are importing 1 car then makes sense to go ahead and give the bugger extra cash, but if you do this often, you might not realise but you would be handing over value worth many other real expesnive cars..

anyhow my point is..if you do deal with a dealer..have a fixed value above which you will not go..

also I can get you a maybach for 320k-330k Euros which doesnt equate to 5.5cr but only 4.1-4.25cr..so thats y my beef..you are giving away 1 760Li or an S55

anyhow dhanveer bhai..as far as I have known the duty is 101% and r u still in india? when u coming back?

Old 28th September 2004, 03:19   #20
Team-BHP Support

civic93..:
a friend of mine here in new york owns a 2004 lexus lx 470. i had borrowed it for a couple of days just to test it out.
the interiors, fit, finish are of excellent quality. it comes fit with a 6 dvd changer mounted in the console between driver & passenger and a navigation system which i don't think will be of any use in india. the system is a standard lexus mark levinson.
the ride quality was commendable - 18inch alloys fitted with P275/60HR18 M+S tires.
the suspension can be adjusted to Comfort, Sport or a Combination of both according to your preference.
the vehicle is very light to steer and doesn't feel much heavier than a full-size car (my father-in-law's 2003 land rover discovery se is much heavier).
luggage space is great with the normal 5-person config, however, if you need to sit 8 people then the luggage space does drop drastically. legroom is decent.
the v8 engine producing 235 bhp & approx 330 pounds of torque (not sure about exact torque figure) is enough to move this Monster about - don't expect to win any races though!
brakes do their work without any hint of brake-fade as such, however, some downshifting (on the 5-speed auto tranny) is required if you need to come from 70mph - 0mph QUICKLY!
parking this Juggernaught is surprisingly simple due to the rear-mounted camera which gives you the rear view on shifting into Reverse. the tilting side-view mirrors (which can also be electronicaly folded away) are a boon while parking too.
the only difficult thing about parking this truck is finding big-enough space for it!
gas (petrol) mileage - the less said the better. it doesn't even come close to being fuel efficient and with current petrol prices in India - you better be ready to shell-out a LOT of money! (i've got better mileage from our 2001 bmw 750il which is a 12-cyl)

thats about my input on the lexus. i haven't tested the bmw x5 as yet so i can't comment on it.
let me know if you need to know anything else.
all the best.
ad

Old 28th September 2004, 03:55   #21
BHPian

hey i think discovery is a good option since u always liked that ugly car for less than 50

its the best u can do in offroading, ofcourse LX comes next in line and has better comfort, but a diesel LX is nothing but a toyota LC which is also 50 and less LX is 60

pick carefully..

and for discovery talk to navneet motors, they are official LR dealers in india...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks