Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2007, 11:31   #1
BHPian

Please help me find a vehicle

I never thought I would do this as I also have extensive knowledge about vehicles but I am confused now.

I have to go from Mumbai to Delhi and back and also roam around a bit more in India.

I currently own a 1997 Mercedes Benz E Class W124 250 Diesel. Please remember to recommend a LCV.

It should be safe.

I do not think I want to go for the new age Mercedes Cars as they have so many electronics that many go wrong before delivery. I used to go to the Authorized Service Stations but then broke something or the other so I stopped going and these new age cars have to be only given to those guys. I have seen brand new cars with huge electronic problems so do not want to be stuck on the highway because some thing malfunctioned.

If possible guys and I say if possible, I would also not want a Turbo Vehicle as my friend's brand new Turbo Diesel Octavia failed because it blew it's turbo in Gujarat and he drove to Mumbai at 65 KMPH.

I also do not want to go for Honda City or Civic because they are not safe. Toyota Corolla is also out because of the same reason. I also saw the VW Passat and I would not fit in the driver's seat because I am a little fat.

Please do help me.
Old 25th November 2007, 15:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you try Honda CRV/Grand Vitara/Innova? These are good cars and have not yet come across any problems in Highways.
Old 25th November 2007, 17:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why do you say that honda city/civic and corolla are not safe?
Old 25th November 2007, 19:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Why do you say that honda city/civic and corolla are not safe?
Yea, could you elaborate on that? They aren't as safe as, say a Merc, but much safer than many other cars in India.

As for your question, if you could fill in the following details, we could suggest accordingly:
1. Are you looking for a petrol or a diesel vehicle?
2. You mentioned you're fine with an LCV... do you prefer them over sedans and SUV's? Which would be your preferred choice?
3. Is fuel economy important? What about performance?
4. How many people would be travelling in this vehicle on an average?
Old 25th November 2007, 19:54   #5
BHPian

@ supercars: I guess you meant an LMV which is Light Motor Vehicle as against LCV which is Light Commercial Vehicle (in the likes of mini trucks like TATA pickup and mini lorries like Eicher, Tata 407/608/709, etc.,),

Pls ans razor4077's questions and add if you would be driving it?

I didnt quite understand why you think the Japnese cars arent safe? and also the reliability of Octavia as it is supposed to be bullet proof, the turbo blew up as I could understand could be a one off failure.
Old 25th November 2007, 20:36   #6
SRK
Senior - BHPian

You have many choices like the:
1. Honda Accord
2. Toyota Camry
3. Skoda Laura
4. Suzuki Grand Vitara

And by the way the corolla,civic do have the safety features and they have passed the Crash tests required around the globe. So why do you say they arent safe?
Old 25th November 2007, 21:04   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

hey Supercars, Relax. Murphy's Law isnt so sacrosanct .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
..I also have extensive knowledge about vehicles but I am confused now.
Considering that you would know about vehicles, I guess you would also know that if used properly, things dont normally break-down that bad.
Quote:
I would also not want a Turbo Vehicle as my friend's brand new Turbo Diesel Octavia failed because it blew it's turbo in Gujarat and he drove to Mumbai at 65 KMPH.
It's possible that your friend didn't warm up the engine sufficiently (and hence the Turbo-charger) before starting off.
Quote:
Please remember to recommend a LCV.
Are you looking for a LCV in particular ?

Last edited by condor : 25th November 2007 at 21:05.
Old 25th November 2007, 21:29   #8
BHPian

ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Yea, could you elaborate on that? They aren't as safe as, say a Merc, but much safer than many other cars in India.

As for your question, if you could fill in the following details, we could suggest accordingly:
1. Are you looking for a petrol or a diesel vehicle?
2. You mentioned you're fine with an LCV... do you prefer them over sedans and SUV's? Which would be your preferred choice?
3. Is fuel economy important? What about performance?
4. How many people would be travelling in this vehicle on an average?
I do not care much about the fuel it uses.
I only know that these small trucks are way stronger than smaller vehicles and they have road presence.
I do not care much about fuel consumption as long as the vehicle has a huge fuel tank. You cannot expect a moderately priced SUV or worse even a LCV, to have a performance of a car.
I will be traveling with my mother only.
Old 25th November 2007, 21:35   #9
BHPian

If you guys know about a nice LCV, please elaborate.

@ All People who want to know about the comment on Corolla, Civic and City. Please be careful while driving as all these cars may come with airbags and all but the body of all these are very light and there is a very good chance that the airbag may not save you.
Old 25th November 2007, 21:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Oh really?

1.) A turbo in a QUALITY vehicle is as dependable as any other engine component. They also can give you 10-25% more power and much greater fuel average. And, if the turbo goes, say, after 150,000K then you, being a rather rich guy, can afford a new turbo anyway and/or you can afford to buy an extended warranty. I have had turbos last 300,000K on some of my vehicles (diesels).

2.) Electronics in a QUALITY vehicle are also dependable. In fact in many cases modern electronics are more dependable. You will NOT find a newer LCV that does not have sophisticated electronics, chips, sensors, on board diagnostic codes, etc.

No offense to you personally but I think you have some misconceptions about modern automobiles and your knowledge of the auto world is not as great as you think. And, your logic is a little peculiar. Just because your uncle stepped on a nail does not mean that you should be suspect of all shoes. If I were you I would look at the up-market SUVs. They are quality products and they are a little bigger inside.
Old 25th November 2007, 22:48   #11
BHPian

I have seen a lot of rallies and am a past rallyist.

The first trouble is mostly the clutch, gearbox and the TURBO.

I know Turbos are great as most of the High end Cars come with one and nowadays all engines are CRDi i.e. Turbocharged in a different manner.

I would also like to tell you that a lot of knowledge also leads to confusion as all vehicles have an advantage and disadvantage.

I had driven the Vitara but since I do not see it anymore, I did not remember it anymore. It was the reason I posted this topic so people could help me out just as I help them out.

Thanks everyone and still waiting for more answers.
Old 26th November 2007, 09:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if i'm being rude but seeing your requirements i think the TATA Safari is made for you. A massive vehicle with basic electronics. Loads of space. Sufficient Fuel Tank capacity. Ability to take rough roads. Cool ride comfort. Pretty strong Built. Basic safety features. And if at all something goes wrong any road side mechanic can get it into shape atleast to reach the nearest service station. With the extended warranty you could also take care of those initial niggles that come with the tata vehicles. There are 3 variants
- the 2.2.VVT Dicor which is quite new and will have more niggling issues with more lates technology on board.
- the 3.0L Dicor with almost sorted out issues due to esixtance over past year.
- THe basic version. Not sure what they call the engine. Here nothing at all that cannot be fixed by a basic mechanic. You would not be far from someone who can fix things for you whereever you travel

You could also save some money to buy another vehicle just to get a feel of the performance and luxury levels provided by the technological advancement in the automobile industry. YOu need not take it on long drives until you are thoroughly confiident about its capabilities.

Just a suggetion. Hope it makes sense.
Old 26th November 2007, 10:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well it seems you have a fascination for bigger vehicles, and have your reservations against sedans. That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it
Just keep one thing in mind... a bigger car is not always safer. Road presence, yes. Safe, no.
Compare the safety records of a Sumo and a Corolla and you'll know what I am talking about.

I would suggest you check out the following vehicles, as they seem to be in sync with your needs:
- Suzuki Grand Vitara
- Honda CRV
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Tata Safari Dicor 2.2
- Mahindra Scorpio (if possible wait for the 2.2L m-Hawk)

Hope this helps somewhat.
Oh, and there's a 2 smiley per post rule on Team BHP. Just a heads up before a moderator reminds you
Old 26th November 2007, 21:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Well it seems you have a fascination for bigger vehicles, and have your reservations against sedans. That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it
Just keep one thing in mind... a bigger car is not always safer. Road presence, yes. Safe, no.
Compare the safety records of a Sumo and a Corolla and you'll know what I am talking about.

I would suggest you check out the following vehicles, as they seem to be in sync with your needs:
- Suzuki Grand Vitara
- Honda CRV
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Tata Safari Dicor 2.2
- Mahindra Scorpio (if possible wait for the 2.2L m-Hawk)

Hope this helps somewhat.
Oh, and there's a 2 smiley per post rule on Team BHP. Just a heads up before a moderator reminds you

There is no real good - quality SUV is available in India. All are just mediocre. Every available SUV in India has issues which are just can not be ignored.
Old 26th November 2007, 23:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
There is no real good - quality SUV is available in India. All are just mediocre. Every available SUV in India has issues which are just can not be ignored.
Not sure I get your point. I don't think anyone said anything about a perfect SUV. I just think that the vehicles I listed above would interest @supercars, given his needs.
Feel free to suggest alternatives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks