Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
. So how much does she put out now ??
As per ACI its 170@ 4000 and 34kgm 1750 onwards
Old 5th April 2008, 22:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
THe sales guy in the showroom told me that the 320d Highline model has around 14 bhp more than the normal 320d version. hence my input.
Really? Didn't know that...so you're telling me that the Highline model is more highly tuned than the base version? Is that the first time a car in India has a performance advantage over a lower trimmed version with the same engine?
Old 6th April 2008, 13:21   #48
BHPian

Had a brief drive of the 320d highline and 525d at the BMW dealership in Chennai.

The 320d highline is tuned to approx. 170 horses, compared to 156 of the regular 320d.

The 320d highline is not bad at all, but the car somehow does not feel as solid as my A4. Also, the lack of the Servotronic steering is evident on the 320d.

The 525d takes the game to another level. Fantastic car to drive and amazing road feel and feedback. I loved the space and the layout of the cabin.

My personal opionion, save up and get a 525d (or) 530i, the 3 series just doesn't cut it. In that range the Audi A4 (or) new C class, is way ahead.
Old 6th April 2008, 18:33   #49
BHPian

Ecclipse is right. That are the stats for the 320d standard & highline versions.
Old 7th April 2008, 16:37   #50
BHPian

2009 3 series

Oh well ,
I have been bummed for the last few months and am waiting for BMW to launch the 2009 3series(mid life facelift) to come out, which should be unveiled this year around September.(Thats what I have heard)
I never knew buying a car would be such a pain, as I would have bought the new C instantly if it had auto seats,foldable mirrors and avantgarde option.
Ok well Avantgarde version is overkill, but looks like exo x might straighten our overpriced performance BMW's or will it !!
I hate trying to get value for my money (:, and thsi is causing me to delay my buy.
Old 8th April 2008, 13:43   #51
BHPian

Funny thing is that I downloaded the 3 series spec sheet off the BMW India website.

According to this, both the new 2008; 320d and 320d highline are approx. 170 bhp.

So, who's right - my local BMW salesman ( saying that the 320d is only 156 horses ) at the dealership (or) this spec sheet ?
Old 8th April 2008, 15:06   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphin1 View Post
Oh well ,
I have been bummed for the last few months and am waiting for BMW to launch the 2009 3series(mid life facelift) to come out, which should be unveiled this year around September.(Thats what I have heard)
I never knew buying a car would be such a pain, as I would have bought the new C instantly if it had auto seats,foldable mirrors and avantgarde option.
Ok well Avantgarde version is overkill, but looks like exo x might straighten our overpriced performance BMW's or will it !!
I hate trying to get value for my money (:, and thsi is causing me to delay my buy.
Hey Morphin - I understand how you would want to wait for latest iteration of the car (as would I) but just a quick fyi based on my previous experience with BMW.

In Jan 2007 we bought a 530xi in the US. The dealer told us that the mid-life refresh would come in March 2007 in case we would like to wait. I asked him, how different would the car look and feel - His response was that you honestly would not be able to differentiate unless you really really focused hard.

And true enough, the only changes were a slight revision to the frot bumper air dam and the new joystick shifter - else everything remained exactly the same. When the cars are parked together - you had to really concentrate to figure out the change.

So if your heart is set on the 3 series buy it now and enjoy the Delhi summer in your climate controlled slice of heaven.
Old 8th April 2008, 23:34   #53
BHPian

Thanks for the info vcash much appreciated.Am just going to wait a lil longer just to be sure, although i agree with you that the facelift wont make the 3 much different from its current form.
But thanks anyways, also guys what you have to say about Evo X???Will it dethrone the 3series from the performance car or am i confusing between different car types??
Old 9th April 2008, 00:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

Evo X is in a different category altogether. None of these entry lvl bimmers and mercs come close to it in terms of performance. The M and AMG tuned ones are the real competition.
Old 10th April 2008, 05:54   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post

In Jan 2007 we bought a 530xi in the US. The dealer told us that the mid-life refresh would come in March 2007 in case we would like to wait. I asked him, how different would the car look and feel - His response was that you honestly would not be able to differentiate unless you really really focused hard.
And true enough, the only changes were a slight revision to the frot bumper air dam and the new joystick shifter - .
Not really my friend-you missed the twin turbos!
Old 10th April 2008, 09:01   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimster View Post
Not really my friend-you missed the twin turbos!
Well - that would be the difference between the 530xi and the 535xi. And yes the Twin turbo would make about 45hp more along with 110nm of torque so that is ofcourse a huge difference. But, I am pretty sure the 535xi did not come out in March 2007 (The model change I was referring too).

The one I am talking about was a cosmetic revision - The 2008 model that came out in March 07 had the 530xi badging. Maybe the 535i debuted in March 07 but If I recall correctly the AWD iteration of the car did not come out till much later, hence this being a moot point. I could be wrong here though and going by your screen name, you would be in a better position to comment on the accuracy of this statement.
Old 10th April 2008, 10:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Wait for the A4 if you must, its a good looking machine and has pleasant interiors as well, I have seen this car from the outside and the inside first-hand at an international motor show recently (Dubai). What you should bear in mind, though, is that the new A4 is now about 4.7m long (I read it somewhere on the internet) which effectively makes it closer to the 4.8m league of the E,A6,5series rather than the current 4.5m league of the C,A4,3series. Now this may work either ways for you, depending on how you look at it.
  • big car on the outside, might be difficult for you to park on your own (definitely easier than a 5-series though), or
  • big car on the inside, for not-so-big money (compared to what the C and the 3 offer as of today).
here's a pic from the DXB motor show.

BMW 325i,320d or 523i??? EDIT Bought 320D Highline-picture.jpg

Old 10th April 2008, 13:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphin1 View Post
.....guys what you have to say about Evo X???Will it dethrone the 3series from the performance car or am i confusing between different car types??
You truly are the evo would thrash these entry-level germans. Maybe even some AMGs, im pretty sure. the evo X is wild.
Old 10th April 2008, 14:49   #59
BHPian

The new A4 is a stunner... Waiting for the 3.2 version to hit indian shores so i can test drive it.

Anything below 38 OTR and it will definately eat into the 325i and 523i sales.
Old 10th April 2008, 14:58   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M View Post
The new A4 is a stunner... Waiting for the 3.2 version to hit indian shores so i can test drive it.

Anything below 38 OTR and it will definately eat into the 325i and 523i sales.
The 3.2 A4 is for performance oriented buyers who currently opt for the 325i or the 525d/530i, depending on their budget.

Hence a buyer looking for performance would not even consider the 523i, i doubt it will make any dents on that models sales.

Most Viewed