Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2007, 17:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphin1 View Post
But for now my biggest confusion is this:

325i costs 35 lakhs and 523 costs 40 lakhs on road. As we all know the 5series sounds more prestigous as compared to 3-series. 523i lacks the performance of the 525i.
Since i am spending 35 lakhs I dont mind puttin another 5 lakhs to buy a bigger not necessarily better car.
Please help me as I am going mad here.
Thanks a lot

Hi Morphin1,

Basically, you are considering the same factors EVERY BMW owner in India evaluated before making his/her choice.

So, look at it this way. Irrespective of which BMW you buy, or even if you end up not buying one at all - and this is important ..

Whenever someone like you will see another person in a 320i, he'll immediately realize that this person wanted a BMW but couldn't afford the 325i. On the other hand, a guy in a 325i gets instant dude status. And one in an M3 is God. Similarly, you'll see a person in a 523i and you'll realise that this person has stretched to buy his 5-series.

Having said that - Yes, to a non-enthusiastic regular fellow - a 3 series is just a 3 series and a 5 is a 5 SERIES.

Its a matter of which kind of person's opinion do you value more. And MORE importantly, what gives YOU more happiness.

p.s.
Just to prove my point - Team BHP has auto ENTHUSIASTS on board so you can expect the 325i to win by a thumping majority.

EXCEPT those people who had to put there money where their mouth was.

I know ONLY two such people on the forum. One bought and M3 and the other was practical. He bought a Diesel BMW 5 Series.

Last edited by manveet : 16th December 2007 at 17:16.
Old 16th December 2007, 19:02   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
u dont want to buy a basic 5 now and regret later that i wish i had this and that later.
There is no "Basic" 5 series...all models through out the 5 series range come with some gizmos that are not even an option on rivals such as Xenons, iDrive, Run flat tyres,Dakota leather,etc.
The only options that the 523i lacks compared to the rest of the range is sunroof and TV function in the iDrive. Nonetheless it is a very very well equipped car.
Old 16th December 2007, 21:57   #18
Team-BHP Support

BMW 320 - I want a BMW at least
BMW 320d - I want a BMW with decent tractability for traffic conditions
BMW 325i - I want a focussed driving machine
BMW 523 - I want a bigger BMW at least
BMW 525d - I want the optimum BMW
Old 16th December 2007, 22:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would pick a 523i anyday compared to the E200K.
Old 17th December 2007, 00:21   #20

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

a 5 series is a 5series.i would say,go for the 523i.the 5 series seems more vfm and the difference is just 5lacs.for 5 lacs you get a car which has more features,is bigger and has the snob value...
Old 17th December 2007, 04:59   #21

325i: you are too young for a 5 series IMHO

I have owned a 325i for about 2 years now...looks like you *really* want something to drive on your own instead of your Chauffuer.

Look no further ....make it a 325i....I warn you though, you may have an urge to build a strip of road for yourself !!

Harish
Old 17th December 2007, 10:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I would suggest the 325i for the following reasons:

1. It's got good performance & is pretty quick.
2. If you drive your self then it's a very manageable car esp. when it comes to parking etc.
3. Given the number of ars that are there in Delhi already it doesn't attract much attention now which is good if you want to remain low-key.
4. Space is good enough if you travel alone or with another person. If you need more space you might want to try the 5.

The 5-Series for someone who drives himself is a bit big IMO esp. when it comes to parking etc. but it is not unmanageable by any means. But, taking all factors into account if the competition was between a 530i & a 325i, I would probably take the 5-series.

But, right now between the choices given I would take the 325i.

Now let me just add my observations of the current Indian BMW range...

1. 320d is a great car at a decent price, decent FE, just lacks a few toys. AFAIK, BMW may be launching a higher equipped 320d some time next year, but don't take this for granted. If you can wait, wait.

2. 325i is what I originally bought, so that'll tell you where my vote goes. If you are going to drive yourself and you like driving in a spirited fashion and don't mind a slightly heavy steering feel at low speeds and a firm ride, this is the easy winner.

3. 523i is bigger and has a softer ride, so is good if you're gonna be chauffer driven around the place. The 525d is a much better car than the 523i, so I'd look at that if you MUST have a 5 series. Let me ask you this though, do you really think the 5 series is the sort of car that suits a 25 year old? I'd go with the 3 myself.

P.S. Why not test drive the lot and make an educated decision for yourself?

Last edited by kbk_75 : 17th December 2007 at 10:29.
Old 17th December 2007, 11:24   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
There is no "Basic" 5 series...all models through out the 5 series range come with some gizmos that are not even an option on rivals such as Xenons, iDrive, Run flat tyres,Dakota leather,etc.
The only options that the 523i lacks compared to the rest of the range is sunroof and TV function in the iDrive. Nonetheless it is a very very well equipped car.
still a bad car big price and no sunroof. hehehe i dig those
Old 17th December 2007, 13:29   #24
BHPian

Post Edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do not use more than 2 smilies per post. Thanks

Wohaaa,
Thanks for the helpful analysis on page 2 people
I agree with ya all and believe that buying a 325i is probably not going to degrade my status. Also since I am looking at performance and practical city driving/parking I think 3 is more for me.
Morever I have been doing some research and have found that in 2009/2010 new 5series and E class are going to come out so I think i will buy a 5 or E in 2011 and enjoy a 3 till then.
Also am waiting for new C class although my heart is still with the 3 but just to satisfy myself i will test drive C first then 3
Also any info you guys have as to what new models are going to be introduces in the 3 series range not the M because i cant be bothered (and ofc dont have the moolah right now) to pay 3times the value of a car.Rather buy a 6 for 80 than a 3 for 90 .
Thanks a lot people and keep posting so that future confused bmw buyers can check this post for all the info.

Last edited by GTO : 17th December 2007 at 16:55.
Old 17th December 2007, 17:50   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphin1 View Post
Also any info you guys have as to what new models are going to be introduces in the 3 series range .
A more loaded 320d is due in the next few months. Would feature everything the 325i has like iDrive,Xenon,etc.
Old 7th January 2008, 17:24   #26
BHPian

New C class an option Vs 3series?

Hi guys am back again.

Now I have added another potential car to the choice and that is the new c class(manual) which is priced at Rs 28 lakhs on road in Delhi.

This car is about 4lakhs cheaper than the 320D and about 7lakhs cheaper than the 325i while it's performance is as good as the 320D and only a tad bit slower than the 325i.

What do you guys think of the new C Class in terms of brand and product(also what you guys think of Merc as a brand)?
(ALso I was disappointed to find out that the international 325i specs are 250hp +3000cc engine unlike the detuned indian version)!

Will be buying the car in march so please bear with my queries.
Thanks a lot everyone.
Old 7th January 2008, 19:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

No my friend, you've got it wrong. Only the USA and Canada have that 3 Litre 325i (it's now called the 328i). Europe, Asia and the rest of the world have the same 2.5L engine that we are being offered here. In any case the 328i does not make 250+ bhp, it makes just under 220 bhp, which puts it right on par with the 325i that the rest of the world has, albeit with a 2.5L engine, so don't go panicking about it!

Last edited by kbk_75 : 7th January 2008 at 19:04.
Old 8th January 2008, 12:51   #28
BHPian

Thanks for the info m8.
I was wrong on 325i's Hp, but the London website states that the 325i has 3000cc .(No328i, for the London or EU website)

Well I stand corrected and the C class diesel is for 30lakhs on road, and would like some answers to above question.
Thanks, cheers
Old 8th January 2008, 17:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

In India the BMW is a more desirable car then the Mercedes. Mercedes has lots of brand value, but the New C is new and you should not be the guinea pig testing it. Go for the bimmer.
Old 9th January 2008, 13:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

A lot depends on what are your priorities and what you can compromise. Factors in random order could be :
1. Fast car and how fast
2. How should the car handle
3. Size of the car for parking constraints
4. How comfortable should the back seats be
5. Is FE a important parameter
6. Snob value
7. What gizmos you surely want and which you can compromise on
8. Price ( you seem to be pretty flexible on it in the 30-45 range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks