Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2008, 09:18   #121
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Sahil;786023]tyre specific rims??? Never heard of those
there is no need to change the rims

However there is no problem whatsoever when you switch over, everything works as before including the TPM

I totally agree with what Sahil has put down I also have never heard of tre specific rims. Infact I know guys running tubeless aftermarket tyres on OE rims.

O.T. Personally I do not like the rims that come with the 320d, there are man better options they offer in the international market

Cheers
Old 7th April 2008, 11:06   #122
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
So all in all i wouldn't say RFTs suck but as they have very extreme advantages and disadvantages.
Ok, here is a question : What happens if you encounter a puncture when driving to Goa, at say....Chiplun? Goa is another 250 - 300 kms away, and Bombay is 250 back. What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
O.T. Personally I do not like the rims that come with the 320d, there are man better options they offer in the international market
Totally agreed on the surprisingly bad choice by BMW. Thats one of the first points I wrote up in my 320D review.
Old 7th April 2008, 13:46   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ok, here is a question : What happens if you encounter a puncture when driving to Goa, at say....Chiplun? Goa is another 250 - 300 kms away, and Bombay is 250 back. What would you do?
Ok, here is a counter-question: What would you do in this situation?

I would do exactly the same, RFT punctures can be repaired at any tubeless tire shop. They do not need to be taken to the dealership specially.

Ofcourse if you intend to switch over to your spare tire, i obviously cant do the same because i don't have one ! But i certainly can drive longer distance to reach the tire repair as compared to tubeless.
Old 7th April 2008, 15:07   #124
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I would do exactly the same, RFT punctures can be repaired at any tubeless tire shop. They do not need to be taken to the dealership specially.
Aha! I was not aware of that. If a regular tyre shop can repair RFTs, that can only be a good thing.

Quote:
Ofcourse if you intend to switch over to your spare tire, i obviously cant do the same because i don't have one !
Now thats a problem. What if the tyre is damaged (vis a vis puncture) over a nasty pothole or a road divider. You would be stranded!!

Do you plan to keep a spare after moving back to regular tubeless? Is there space in the boot for one?
Old 7th April 2008, 15:53   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Now thats a problem. What if the tyre is damaged (vis a vis puncture) over a nasty pothole or a road divider. You would be stranded!!

Do you plan to keep a spare after moving back to regular tubeless? Is there space in the boot for one?
No i wouldnt be stranded. When my tire did get damaged the last time the car was driven back over 150kms without a problem. Now if i did have tubeless there could have been a tire burst and/or damaged rims,etc.

I definatly have to get a spare when i get back to tubeless. There is enough space for a full size spare in the trunk ! But i think i'll just go in for a space saver then.
Old 8th April 2008, 13:39   #126
BHPian

Well, at-least the 5 series has a wheel well. So one can buy a spare/ donut for it.

The 3 series does'nt even have a wheel well in the boot. Absolutely ludicrous!
Old 9th April 2008, 18:39   #127
Senior - BHPian

Well the Audi A4 has a full size spare wheel (alloy), so that is much more convenient.

I'd say more suited to our road conditions.

Cheers
Old 9th April 2008, 19:07   #128
BHPian

Absolutely, Ricky!

I have an A4 too ( 1.8 T).

Got it remapped by Pete. IT's pretty quick now.
Old 10th April 2008, 12:52   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
Absolutely, Ricky!

I have an A4 too ( 1.8 T).

Got it remapped by Pete. IT's pretty quick now.

Wow another Audi Fan So did you get the remap done before expiry of the warranty. I will also be getting the remap but after the expiry of the Warranty Period. I am happy with the way my car runs (for now)

How has your experiance been with the A4 ?

Cheers
Old 10th April 2008, 13:03   #130
BHPian

Hi Ricky,

I also own an Octavia RS that has been tuned to 240 bhp by PETE's. So, initially the A4 in stock form, was quite a laggard in comparison.

I still have a few months on the warranty left; got it remapped 2 months ago. The Audi guys cannot detect the Remap, as it does not show up in their diagnostic s/ware. Only if they were to drive the car a fair bit, would they figure out that its quite different.

So far, the A4 has been fantastic. I am looking forward to the new A4 ( 3.2 FSI Quattro )!

Cheers!
Old 10th April 2008, 13:25   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ricky,

I also own an Octavia RS that has been tuned to 240 bhp by PETE's. So, initially the A4 in stock form, was quite a laggard in comparison.

I still have a few months on the warranty left; got it remapped 2 months ago. The Audi guys cannot detect the Remap, as it does not show up in their diagnostic s/ware. Only if they were to drive the car a fair bit, would they figure out that its quite different.

So far, the A4 has been fantastic. I am looking forward to the new A4 ( 3.2 FSI Quattro )!

Cheers!

Nice to know that you also rate the Audi A4 in the same category as I do ...FANTASTIC !!!! So the re-map is not detected on the diagnostic software ?? That is news to me...but yes the performance is surely going to make them wonder what hit them ..

So even you are looking at the 3.2L Quattro - eh ? Well I can only dream about it for now. As I intend to keep this car for a minimum of 3 years or more, then maybe my Octavia can go & another Audi can step into her shoes LOL LOL

Cheers
Old 10th April 2008, 13:44   #132
BHPian

The new A4 overseas also comes with a 3.0 TDI engine that develops 500 Nm of Torque and 240 bhp of power. I would pick this anyday over the 3.2 FSI, but as per Audi India this engine won't make it to India.

So, will have to be content with the 3.2 FSI. BTW, did you TD the BMW 325i before you bought your A4 ?

Cheers.
Old 11th April 2008, 09:56   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The new A4 overseas also comes with a 3.0 TDI engine that develops 500 Nm of Torque and 240 bhp of power. I would pick this anyday over the 3.2 FSI, but as per Audi India this engine won't make it to India.

So, will have to be content with the 3.2 FSI. BTW, did you TD the BMW 325i before you bought your A4 ?

Cheers.

Wow - the 3 litre diesel would be absolutely unresistable, alas it isn't coming here. I did drive the A6 3.0L though.

As for the BMW - I drove the 320d not the 325i, the diesels always interest me more & here in this case I was also looking at the price

Cheers
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:06   #134
BHPian

The New A4 comes internationally with 3 diesel engines & 2 petrol options as far as i last saw.:

1. 2.0 lt
2. 2.7 lt
3. 3.0 lt.

Petrol:
1. 1.8 Turbo charged
2. 3.2 FSI

Coming to Indian shores initially is the 2.0 Tdi, and 3.2 FSI. Later on, the 1.8lt Turbo Petrol will be coming in.
Old 2nd June 2008, 16:40   #135
BHPian

Some interesting chat here & Ricky, Congrats on choosing the four rings. They sure are a great brand and they make wonderful machines. But an observation I made here is that BMWs don't come with a spare wheel. Is that true? If so, pretty strange! In absence of run-flats, very much suicidal as well.

Most Viewed