Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2008, 16:51   #1

What car @ Rs. 1lac / per month

Hi All:

Thinking of getting a dream car this time, and am very early in the decision cycle, your input will be appreciated.

Financials:
The Car will have to be financed. My budget is Rs 1lac/month on either a 3 year or 5 year lease. (The downpayment should not be a problem)

So now the real question:
What Car
3 year lease:
1. C Class Mercedes (New?)
2. 3 series BMW (325?)
3. Used E Class Mercedes (recent 04 or later)? (stretching the budget)
4. BMW 523i (stretching the budget)

My Likes / Dislikes
The car will be self dirven. Sometimes the driver will get lucky too .
1. Audi's are not in the consideration set -- look too plain
2. I dont like the 3-series looks either but they will do
3. 5-series are gorgeous
4. Prestige of a bigger car is a good thing.
5. Backseat room is good for family acceptance

Further questions:
1. Cost of maintainence? (Service costs of 5 series / E class)?
2. Cost of removing dings/scratches? Driving in bombay is a bitch.
3. Cost of financing? What are you guys who financed a large car paying for theirs? (i.e. EMI vs Car On Road Price)

Anyone know a good used car available?

Thanks for help!

Cheers,
V
Old 25th January 2008, 17:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Beamers suits for your budget....you can go for 3 or 5 series...
Old 25th January 2008, 18:10   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

With that budget, you dont need to go used nor restrict yourself to 30 lakh rupees. I suggest you go straight down to Metro Motors and test-drive the new Montero. Its a heck of an SUV and is a complete all-round package. Looks butch, drives smooth, is loaded with kit, has respectable road manners and can off-road with the best. Search through the forums to see some discussions on this beast.

If you are looking at a sedan, nothing but a BMW 525D will do. It is the most complete sedan in that price range. Look up Sahil's review on his new 525.

Last edited by GTO : 25th January 2008 at 18:12.
Old 25th January 2008, 18:23   #4

GTO:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

This is like my chance to buy a dream car, would you rather have owned a Mercedes/BMW or a Mitsubishi?

Besides, I would really really like to fit it into a 3 year lease hence the 30 lac (approx) price point.

Cheers,
V
Old 25th January 2008, 18:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

vitroil - How much is your budget. If you take 60month loan then 60Lacs + downpayment = 70lacs - interest is your budget. How much does a M3 cost? You can strech to the M3 and you will be happy for sure.
Old 25th January 2008, 19:00   #6

@BUSA:

Buddy -- 5 years loan on 50 lacs would have an interest of 25 lacs -- Think about it.

The EMI has to include both the principal and the interest. So effectively for 40 lac at 15% for 5 years would appoximate to 1lac rupees per month.

If I had 70L I'd start thinking of a 7series or S class (or even importing the VW Phateon (sp?) -- its the same car as the bentley, just a different skin)

Cheers,
V
Old 25th January 2008, 19:02   #7

Also anyone have info about:

1. Cost of maintainence? (Service costs of 5 series / E class)?
2. Cost of removing dings/scratches? Driving in bombay is a bitch.
3. Cost of financing? What are you guys who financed a large car paying for theirs? (i.e. EMI vs Car On Road Price)

I'd like to look at fitting the total cost of ownership (not including fuel) in that 1 lac
Old 25th January 2008, 19:43   #8

GTO:

If you dont mind me asking what are you paying (EMI, if financed?) for your 220CDI

( I read that you got a good deal, but just an understanding of what the emi works out to would be good to have.

Infact its your horror story, and the commonness of the mecedes brand, is what is making me consider the beamer seriously.)

Cheers,
V
Old 25th January 2008, 21:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is one thread I would not even be seen dead on, let alone posting. But, somehow I just could not resist myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitriol
would you rather have owned a Mercedes/BMW or a Mitsubishi?
Well, as much as I love the German marquees, there is a right tool for every job and it don't matter whether it is Japanese or European. All that matters is whether it is the right tool for the job. For, sometimes a well-aimed squish with your boots can do what even a nuclear bomb can't. So, its your call, buddy ...

Quote:
I'd like to look at fitting the total cost of ownership (not including fuel) in that 1 lac
I was almost expecting you to also ask the FE for the cars in question.

Quote:
Infact its your horror story, and the commonness of the mecedes brand, is what is making me consider the beamer seriously.)
I don't know about you, but for me the C-class is just 'poetry in motion'. Neither the E-class or the S-class does it for me. The Benz might be common, but not without a reason.
Old 25th January 2008, 21:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

There aint nothing like a good E(pre-owned) that is. 5 series would be stretching your budget a bit too far.
C-class if choosen then would have to be the current SPANKING new 220. It looks the best in its segment. EMI per month for 5years would be around 45000/-
Old 25th January 2008, 22:29   #11
BHPian

Fly in the ointment

I sincerely suggest you find out the problems in 100cars in the first 3 years of ownership before you decide to put your money on any marque.
Looks and reputation can be deceptive. One of the brands you mentioned has got a very poor reputation as far as how well put together it is let alone the repair/maintainance costs.
I think the JD power survey and other surveys will give you better information.
Bye and wear your seat belts.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 25th January 2008 at 22:41.
Old 25th January 2008, 22:44   #12
BHPian

Here is the jist of the survey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I sincerely suggest you find out the problems in 100cars in the first 3 years of ownership before you decide to put your money on any marque.
Looks and reputation can be deceptive. One of the brands you mentioned has got a very poor reputation as far as how well put together it is let alone the repair/maintainance costs.
I think the JD power survey and other surveys will give you better information.
http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-article.aspx?NA=218083

According to the survey the reliability of the car is extremely poor and the company acknowledges it and hopes to rectify it only by 2009.
Old 25th January 2008, 23:05   #13
Team-BHP Support

A used 2003-05 E class would be between 20-32L depending on motor and trim.
If you're open to an SUV, the montero is some serious food for thought, the new one apparently comes with oodles of equipment and a great motor.
Sedan, with that budget, i'd buy slightly small but brand new. If you're spending 1L/month, you deserve to have that special feeling of driving home a brand new upmaket car.

manson.
Old 25th January 2008, 23:08   #14

@Baleno:

Dude, what did I do to rile you so?

Why is this thread infra dig? Maybe its too rational and not dreamy enough?

Different tools for different jobs. I'm looking at a sedan that will be driven by me 75% / driver 25% and one that has cachet. (As I said earlier a dream car, within reason and pocket). I dont know if I'll get a chance to do this again, so I might as well get what would be something remarkable. The montero is a great offroader however I want a sedan /coupe (Back in the day I lusted after the 3000GT but that passed).

As far as not liking the S and the E, friends happen to own S-Class's and though they might be hulking teutons on the outside, they are pure music on the inside, especially in the back seat with a 12 speaker bose stereo. (yea yea bose is bad etc, but just hear this one once, the music seems to envelop you)

@[COLOR=#0000ff]drpullockaran[/COLOR]:
I know. I'm a bit jittery on that count -- but so many seem to be running around the city, if they can get by, surely so can I?

And hence the beamer.

Someone please tell me that the beamer is a good car and there are no manufacturing issues and parts dont fall out and a wheel wont come off.
Old 25th January 2008, 23:12   #15
BHPian

If I'd had that kind of money, I'd look nowhere else. Only the M3 will do. Only the M3 will do. Only the M3 will do. Only the M3 will do.

Most Viewed