Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2008, 09:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

HEy, pls PM member peevee for help. He's the best guide for this. Matador engine swaps are very common here in kerala.I would never recommend one if u are a perfectionist but if u just want a drivable car, its okay. If the body, trims, etc are in excellent condition, u can consider it, but pls try to source an original engine before that. Driving around in a tractor that looks like a merc is sick! Also, what price are u getting it for?? Pls do not pay anything more than 50k max for it!

115's with original engines are very hard to find. I've been looking for one for the past 7 months with no luck! Btw, there was no 230D. It was either the 114 230.6 or the 115 230.4. or 230. PLs check the engine plate to see what the car is supposed to be.

P.S:I see that not a single regular from the classic car section has replied here! MODS pls move this into the vintage and classic car section.

Last edited by JayD : 1st May 2008 at 09:56.
Old 1st May 2008, 10:55   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Matador engines were very popular swaps for ambassadors and contessa's in late 80's and early 90's.

Why would you want to buy a merc with that engine?go for one with gasoline engine.
Old 29th June 2008, 14:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Older Matadaor engine == Mercedes engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Matador engines are good for matadors...
I wouldnt suggest it to be in the bay of a Merc.
Surprise ! surprise ! it was the same engine that powered the Mercs that was in the earlier Matador (F305) vans running in India. It was one of the smoothest diesel engines in commercial vehicles in India at that time. The reason it is difficult to believe that it is a Merc engine is that the noise insulation was hardly done in the Matador van ; there would be holes for the gearbox lever, and other stuff that would let all the engine sound and heat come into the passenger cabin.

The later model engines were not the same OM616, they were OM616 "derived", i guess, and these were popular for fitting on Ambassadors. These were less powerful, more noisier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wasn't it the Bajaj Tempo that used the OM 616 engine?
Erstwhile Bajaj Tempo were the ones who also produced the Matador vans in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitabhnanda View Post
...I have been looking for a vintage merc (w111/112/113) for a while but have not come up with a satisfactory vehicle.
hey , amitabhnanda, any updates? Were you able to get a good car?

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 29th June 2008 at 14:37.
Old 29th June 2008, 14:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Heck, even the current M-B's sold in india have engines assembled by Bajaj Tempo

I remember dad saying that the Amby chassis wasnt exactly suited for the heavy diesel engine , and started to fall apart after a while. Wonder how the old Benz will hold up...

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th June 2008 at 14:40.
Old 29th June 2008, 14:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Surprise ! surprise ! it was the same engine that powered the Mercs that was in the earlier Matador (F305) vans running in India.
Are you sure? I thought the later OM616s used in the Traveller and later in the Trax were the Merc engines used by Bajaj Tempo - in fact they got the OM616 courtesy the Traveller.
Old 29th June 2008, 15:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Are you sure? I thought the later OM616s used in the Traveller and later in the Trax were the Merc engines used by Bajaj Tempo - in fact they got the OM616 courtesy the Traveller.

Yes, I am sure about that : the Matador vans (at some point in time at least) came with the Merc engines. They used to have a characteristically smooth sound (they were probably chain-driven OHC engines ). Probably the same that were in the earlier (Tempo ) Travellers.
Of course, the current Trax and Travellers have a DI derived version of the OM616 (so it is not the same engine, even though the Force dealers will highlight the fact that it is "based on " the OM616).

I think they got into a technical collaboration/license arrangement for the engines much earlier : the Traveller was launched later. I am not sure about these timelines, though.
Old 15th July 2008, 19:27   #22

Hi
So I bought the car in a wave of euphoria - and drove it straight to the garage after it started spewing flames as soon as I had left the car dealer.

I know I will have much pain (and fun) with this car and thank you guys for your advice and support - more of which I will need from time to time.

One question: does anyone know where to get a manual for this car? I need to figure out the a/c system - and also would like to see what instrumentation I can refurbish, since the old owner had put in a lot of tacky plastic stuff.

Thanks very much
Amitabh
Old 25th August 2008, 09:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Surprise ! surprise ! it was the same engine that powered the Mercs that was in the earlier Matador (F305) vans running in India. It was one of the smoothest diesel engines in commercial vehicles in India at that time. The reason it is difficult to believe that it is a Merc engine is that the noise insulation was hardly done in the Matador van ; there would be holes for the gearbox lever, and other stuff that would let all the engine sound and heat come into the passenger cabin.

The later model engines were not the same OM616, they were OM616 "derived", i guess, and these were popular for fitting on Ambassadors. These were less powerful, more noisier.

The 307 used the OM616 in a slightly detuned form, with a 4 spd box, whereas the Traveller used the regular engine mated to the 5 spd gearbox. As far as I know the D301 (Of the Matador 305) was never used on Mercs.
This was a noisy, crude and unrefined engine. This was the favorite retrofit on Ambassadors and not the OM616, which was too big and too heavy for the Amby.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Can we have some pictures of the car both interior and exterior, please?
Old 25th August 2008, 11:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitabhnanda View Post
Hi
So I bought the car in a wave of euphoria - and drove it straight to the garage after it started spewing flames as soon as I had left the car dealer.

I know I will have much pain (and fun) with this car and thank you guys for your advice and support - more of which I will need from time to time.

One question: does anyone know where to get a manual for this car? I need to figure out the a/c system - and also would like to see what instrumentation I can refurbish, since the old owner had put in a lot of tacky plastic stuff.

Thanks very much
Amitabh
How much did you shell out for it???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks