Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2008, 11:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
An undergrad getting a $50K car? Thats gotta be the first!
You should visit Boston if you haven't already, you will be shocked to see the cars undergrads have !

BMWlover- It's suprising you don't list a BMW in your options
Just test drive the 335i. Where are you studying? If it's in a place with bad winters then get the 335xi....the twin turbo engine is to dieee for don't even start comparing it with your 325i.
And please dont listen to aah78
The A5 is the next best option or Cayanne(i test drove it when i was in the states and looved it even though it was the v6)...the cayman could also squeeze into your budget.
It would be wise to go in for a used car if you find a good one as this saves you from the horrible resale value you get in america....in the used segment you could get a loaded Cayanne S or Range Rover Sport,etc
Old 5th April 2008, 16:01   #17
BHPian

thanks for the helpful replies guys, @sahil, the 335xi might be a good option but the A5/S5 also has quattro so same thing, and it looks so much better too but yeah, i will so get a range rover sport if I could find a nice one in my price range.
Old 5th April 2008, 19:13   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think you could anyways buy a BMW / Merc / Audi later on in life, especially if you are moving back to India upon graduation. Keep the Germans for the time when you start greying. Under-grad years are one of the best periods of life, lucky you for being able to buy a 50K car to go to college.

What I'd suggest? The Corvette. Maximum bang for the buck and surprisingly practical too. Plus, you wouldn't ever be short of a date for those wild weekend parties.
Old 5th April 2008, 19:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

^^Bang on the spot. A stick shift C6 should easily fit into a 50k budget. 430 odd hp of american muscle and its one american car that actually has a balanced chassis that doesn't understeer into a tree on every other corner.
Old 5th April 2008, 23:26   #20
BHPian

You could also look at Chevorlet Camaro or Dodge Charger.

btw BMWlover you said coupe or sedan and now you want a SUV maybe. Please make up your mind on which vehicle do you want and if you want a truck, then go for Ford F Series trucks or Dodge Ram

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th April 2008 at 00:44. Reason: Merged. Please use the EDIT button or the Multi-Quote button.
Old 6th April 2008, 01:09   #21
BHPian

If you are interested in American muscle, then you can opt for the C6, or the Dodge Charger SRT... and you can even look to the Americans for pickups, you could get the Dodge Ram or the Chevrolet Silverado 2500.
Old 9th April 2008, 22:14   #22
BHPian

Definitely, The Corvette.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Sedan/Coupe in US-50k range.-2007_corvette_c6_coupe_victory_edition.jpg  

Old 10th April 2008, 05:41   #23
BHPian

Still not sure what you are looking for in your ride-huge difference in priorities between A5 and a RangeRover.Be sure to test drive a 335i coupe if you are looking for a European car.A5 would be nice too but S5 is above your price range.Havent driven the XF yet but it sure looks great.I am not sure why you want a 4 door though when you ,being a student(and likley single) can buy a coupe instead! I am biased towards coupes ofcourse. Corvette is bad idea-you need a little tank on these freeways here if your friends story is any indication and C6 is way above the price range.
Old 10th April 2008, 10:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWlover View Post
At the moment im really torn between the XF and the A5 though, as dad will buy the C-class in India anyways, and I want to drive something which wont we available in india for sometime.
Buy something which aint gonna be available in India for a long time. Audi, Bimmers, MBs are very much available in India. So you would surely have a chance of driving them here when you are back. Go for a American car like Corvette which would be fun, different and exiting.
Old 11th April 2008, 00:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
You should visit Boston if you haven't already, you will be shocked to see the cars undergrads have !
You mean undergrads of Indian origin? I was refering to FOBs (fresh off the boat kids,lining up for their undergrads).

I'd highly recommend the Acura TL Type -S..Its got a whole lot of stuff for under $50K. A close friend of mine got one 2 months ago,and boy..its worth every penny!
Old 11th April 2008, 00:54   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
You mean undergrads of Indian origin? I was refering to FOBs (fresh off the boat kids,lining up for their undergrads).
Yes, i do mean "FOBs". Ofcourse the Arab kids had the best cars but the other international student community is not far behind.
Old 11th April 2008, 02:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Yes, i do mean "FOBs". Ofcourse the Arab kids had the best cars but the other international student community is not far behind.
FOBs driving flashy expensive cars? Boy..things have sure changed since the time I left Indian shores.

BMWlover..any decisions made yet?
Old 11th April 2008, 03:10   #28
BHPian

Challenger??

This beast is about to be launched any day now. Starts at 38kish. Propah muscle car IMO.

Best Sedan/Coupe in US-50k range.-ext_bg_01.jpg
pic taken from Dodge website.
Old 11th April 2008, 07:07   #29
BHPian

Want a car under 50K and not too crazy about gazillions of HP under the hood, then buy a Z4 or any other really small car. Like GTO said, leave the A5 and XF for later years... they are for people past their 30's.
Old 11th April 2008, 13:37   #30
BHPian

WOW too many cars!!! I should have made one thing clear I guess, that the car Im going to buy needs to have 4 seats, even if its just a 2+2 config with not that spacious rear seats. Reason is that I dont really plan to go anywhere without friends, and I am the first person in my circle who is buying a car.
And to tell you the truth guys, my heart is set on the A5 now, i just test drove the S5, as the dealer did not have any A5s available, and Im just blown by the car.
The car was awesome to drive, and had 10x better cabin quality than the 335i or any american car.
And plus I just LOVE the way it looks . Now waiting for an A5 to arrive at the showrooms soon so I can check that out too!
oh and with regards to us undergrads buying 40k cars, i know people with CLS 500s, SL 500s, M3s, A6s...all undergrads. And two of them are Indians. And here in Indiana, it seems its the asians (read: orientals) who have the best cars.
P.S - I wish i could smuggle one A5 to India..:P

Last edited by aah78 : 16th April 2008 at 05:31. Reason: Potentially offensive term changed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks