Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 16:26   #1
BHPian

Mercedes Benz E Class (124) Owners - Should I buy?

I was looking for a casual car for around 120 km a week use.

I've found a 96 E220 with 37K kms for around ~3 lacs. It's in very good shape. I'm thinking about purchasing it but I'm concerned that the car will give me a whole bunch of problems down the road. My questions are:

- Is it a troublesome car?

- Is it costly to maintain at the dealer? Outside the dealer?

- Are parts a problem?

- What kind of fuel consumption do you get?

And finally, any advice for someone who's never owned a classic Benz before? What can I expect? It it realistic to use it as suitable replacement for a conventional car (a Honda City etc)?

Thanks ALOT!!
Old 25th June 2008, 17:53   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Screwdriva,

Quote:
- Is it a troublesome car?
Generally, nope. But this particular example has run only 37K!! It sounds fishy...I doubt the authencity of the odo. If it true, well, thats not good news either. Merc's are built to stand in one place, so I wouldn't look upon the low mileage favourably. Expect a change of wiring harness and some other rubber components in all certainty.

I'd much prefer an E220 that has run about 75K (minimum) to this particular car. Also, E250D's are known to run far more reliably than the E220's.

Quote:
- Is it costly to maintain at the dealer?
Incredibly expensive. Expect 15 - 30K for every service and astronomical pricing for parts.

Quote:
Outside the dealer?
Parts don't fail that often on the W124 and when they do, they are reasonably priced (by Merc standards).

Quote:
- Are parts a problem?
If you mean sourcing them, then no. Regular maintainence parts are available off the shelf in Mumbai.

Quote:
- What kind of fuel consumption do you get?
Expect 6 - 7 KPL.

Quote:
And finally, any advice for someone who's never owned a classic Benz before? What can I expect? It it realistic to use it as suitable replacement for a conventional car (a Honda City etc)?
Well, it is a 12 year old German car so don't expect the trouble free ownership experience of your Honda City. That said, the W124 gives you most benefits of the three-pointed star at a steal. As long as you get a complete check on the car and keep reserve funds for the rainy day, you should be all set. A clean W124 should not be seeing the garage more than 1 - 2 times a year.

1. Look only for cars with a complete service history, preferably by MB workshops itself.

2. Pay a couple of grand and have the BM workshop run her through a thorough check.

3. Do go through this thread too: Used W124

Last edited by GTO : 25th June 2008 at 17:55.
Old 25th June 2008, 17:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

37K kms in 12 years?? That sound fishy. Whats even more fishy is the price he is asking for it! The 124s in general are one of the last good mercs. Though i'm not much of a 124 fan, i can say they are supremely comfortable and if maintained well, can offer you with many years of happy motoring.

P.S: pls post your requirements also, do u need a diesel or will a petrol do??
Old 25th June 2008, 18:35   #4
BHPian

well my e 240 bought almost 3 yrs ago has only run (DRUM ROLL PLEASE) 7000 KM comes to around 2350 a yr = ~28K in 12 yrs now you guys would consider this mileage fishy too ?
Old 25th June 2008, 18:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...24-series.html

One more thread. 124 sure is doing the rounds.
Old 25th June 2008, 21:06   #6
BHPian

Hi GTO, Guys,

Sadly, the car sold before I could even call the seller back (5 hours). I'm quite heartbroken. :(
Old 25th June 2008, 22:44   #7
BHPian

Don't fret....there's always another one just around the block. Keep looking,
Old 25th June 2008, 23:22   #8
BHPian

Never mind Screw Diva , Better luck next time.Had seen a couple of 124's for sale in the classifieds section.

Wondering how come JayD is feeling fishy about the mileage. He himself bought a 23 year old super mini which has done just 72K kms
Old 26th June 2008, 00:21   #9
BANNED

why does 37k sound fishy. people who have mercs in those days obviously had more cars too, come on. my 1983 800 as well had done 80k and my 1998 zen had done 108000 kms
Old 26th June 2008, 07:58   #10
BHPian

Wow, the price of the is just 3 Lacs can't believe at all. One of my friend had a 123 84 model imported in 86 which is best in condition and I think in country its in the top 5 123's he is only expecting at least 5 lacs for his can and a 96, 124 for just 3 lacs .
Old 5th August 2008, 13:26   #11
BHPian

Update

Found an 1996 E220, done 38K kms at a dealer. Needs quite a bit of refurbishment however I have worked a deal out where I will pay the dealer 5 lacs in exchange for the car & the following to be done at their MB Service Center:

1) Full interior refurbishment
2) New Clutch
3) New Suspension
4) New Paint Job
5) 60 K Service including all belt change and all ignition component change
6) MB 6 month Preowned car warranty
7) Any other fixes that are required

The car has gone for the routine MB technical examination and will come back tomorrow with their list of recommended fixes.

Any ideas/ suggestions? I'm trying to find areas where they can screw me over and would appreciate any feedback you guys have
Old 5th August 2008, 13:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

First wait for the estimate from Merc to come back & then think about it. Also, did you note that the car has supposedly done "only" 38k kms but needs a new Clutch & Suspension? Sounds fishy, doesn't it?

Also, you mention 6 month pre-owned warranty so are you buying this from a Merc dealer? If yes, then do go through the fine print on their warranty before hand.
Old 5th August 2008, 14:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am sure this is from a private dealer not a merc dealer.

@Screwdriva
Quote:
1) Full interior refurbishment
2) New Clutch
3) New Suspension
4) New Paint Job
5) 60 K Service including all belt change and all ignition component change
6) MB 6 month Preowned car warranty
7) Any other fixes that are required
Thats a long list. Doing all the above sincerely with original spares, the bill could come up to what you are offering, almost. Be very wary of these deals. Good cars do not come cheap.
Old 5th August 2008, 14:58   #14
BHPian

Corrections

No, this is an official MB Dealer in Mumbai.

I have insisted on the published list based on wear and tear items that typically break down in cars, not based on my experience with the car.

My experience with the car showed me that the interiors were in bad shape, lots of items had faded and that the car made a few noises. Mechanically, besides a slightly hard clutch pedal feel, the car drove fine.

Is there any way to verify the car's true driven mileage? I have asked for the last known MB service records
Old 5th August 2008, 15:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

While you are at it, check the AC compressor, Cooling coil etc. too. They cost a bomb & cannot live without it too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks